Requiem for The Forgotten Browncoat.

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Requiem for The Forgotten Browncoat.

Postby Jake Sjet » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:19 am

“But I’m almost done!” Shoddy was almost able to get out of his mouth before Tarra quickly shot him down with a fiery look and a hissed command. He quickly began to tidy up with the help of Titan and his crew; all the while Shoddy couldn’t help but wonder as to why the hell he had to move.

He was doing critical work, this needed to be fixed! Without it up might be down, left could be right, cats and dogs, living together in perfect harmony! He stuffed the wiring and printed circuitry boards back into their metallic shell, wincing as they scraped and bashed against one another. This was making more and more work for him by the second, not less!

Well, if the ship fell apart from under them the next time they got under thrust, it wasn’t going to be his fault that was for damn sure.

“I’ll just head on down to the cargo bay, keep working down there if that’s ‘kay with everyone?” he asked no one in particular as they filed in, and Tarra went about fixing what Shoddy had made wrong, including a somewhat bent spatula that had a surprisingly good conductive surface to it.

“Well...er...bye then.” He said meekly, and the young man from the wrong end of space just slipped out of the dining room for a place more engineeringly favourable.

TAG-Anyone really.

Shamus Shoddy McDonald
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:54 pm

"Hold up, Shoddy," Tarra said and placed a hand on his arm. It wasn't gripping or threatening, just something for him to take a pause. "We've held a funeral for Lucille Rapson's husband and a few people are coming back to the ship to have some afters... withOUT the extra solder and such."

Her smile was gentle and welcoming as she thanked everyone for helping clean up. "Why don't you wash up and have a bite to eat with the rest of us before rushing off to do Engineery type things?" Food, beverages and people. How could a friendly, outspoken and sheep-gut playing Engineer possibly say no? "After all, he was part of the crew. And so are you..."

~Tag Shoddy

"Thanks so much to all of you for helping prep the place for our visitors to pay our respects and remember. And please," Tarra said, smiling wider at Ameri for seeing her out of her Infirmary area, "Help yourselves."

~Tag Ameri and y'all ready to eat

Tarragon Hunter
Chef and Crewmember
Monarch - Firefly Class
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:59 pm

The rest of the afternoon passed more or less in peace. Some of the stories that were told about Chris Rapson seemed out of character for the quiet man those aboard The Monarch had known.

Kynthia was glad.

She watched from the side of the room, as the rest mingled, chatted, ate and generally had fun. Shoddy's bits and pieces had been moved quickly by the others. She could see a pile of parts in the small seating area near the main room. She pretended that she couldn't see what exactly was lying there.

Because it meant that right now, her ship wouldn't move. Unless it was pushed.

Right at the end of the afternoon, just as the sun was dipping below the hills around the flats, an old woman stepped onto the ship. She looked around with tired and sad blue eyes. The resemblance to Chris was remarkable. She held out her hands to Lu, palms up and quivering. "Oh my dear.." she whispered.

"Dunno if you remember Mrs Rapson," said one of the soldiers quietly. "We heard you was expecting, and we done called her. You got a place to go with her, if you want."

Lu's eyes filled with the tears that she had fought back all afternoon.

That was time for Kynthia to step forward. "It's alright Lu." She said. "We are your family too. You always got a bunk on this ship, long as I run her. You just call us if'n you want us. We'll get you all packed up an' out as is right. You just make a pretty baby. Send us pictures. "

TAG - the folks on The Monarch.

((OOC - ready to close the thread m'dears and darlings?))

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:14 am

Lu looked at Mrs. Rapson through the tears as she listened to Kynthia. She hadn't seen Chris' mom since she was a young girl, when she and Chris had first started dating. Looking at the soldier whom had spoken, she gave a soft smile as she spoke, "I can't thank you enough."

Finally taking the hands of Mrs. Rapson, Lu let the tears flow from her eyes. "I...I'm sorry. Should have gotten in touch with you earlier."

The older woman shook her head, hiding her own tears, "That doesn't matter now. You don't have to worry about anything, you have a place among family."

Glancing back over at Kynthia, trying to give her a smile, Lu sighed a bit, "My stuff is already packed, minus a few scattered things around the ship. Remember what I said earlier on the way back to the ship? I planned on staying here, just didn't know I'd actually have someone to stay with. And I promise, I won't keep myself out of touch." She was crying even more now, she'd been here, called this ship home for so long, and she was going to leave it.

Tags- Kynthia, anyone around
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Galifestus » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:58 pm

Off in a corner of the cargo bay Bug sat with an old friend. Well, in point of fact she wasn't more than thirteen years old, but he had known her back on the busy streets of the forgotten city. Then she had been part of the daily life, a part of the scenery, as well as a friend. They talked about old times mostly, and a little about things since. His life in service was not too different from her life in the monastary. Both scenes had changed in the last few months, mostly for the better.

On occasion, the pair were joined by other young women also dressed in the religious garb of their order. Friendly words and glances were exchanged with the boy, and each seemed to have a particular glow about them. Elsewhere, most of the young nuns carefully avoided Ameri Webber, having seen their presence cause her pain of spirit. They had been instructed in their duty towards her, and were careful to follow directions.

Only once did one of the sisters aproach the young woman. She was a tall slender girl, with a face horribly scarred from overexposure to the sun, but with an almost briliant light in her eyes. Her manner was difident and careful, indeed penitent. She smiled and waved a friendly little wave as she tried to aproach for a few quiet words.

~tag Ameri

Chuy Lo, the big man with a scarred face overheard the conversation and the leavetakings of Lucille Rapson and stepped forward to say his own farewells. He could not help thinking how his own presence might cause painful memories, but this was a day for many such reminiscences all over the valley and the downs.

"May God keep you and bless your child, Missus Rapson," he said holding out his gnarly hands for a parting clasp. "If ever you need some help of any kind, I'm only a wave or two away."

~tags and tearful goodbyes

OOC The conversations of the sister with Ameri can be carried to the next episode, if prefered.
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Grey Bruehl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:39 pm

The slave plunged through the narrow alley choked with crates of shipped goods waiting to be brought into shops and displayed. Half naked, ankles shackled, the shouts of men bellowing behind him.

Five had come after him, three from the ship and two others that joined the chase hoping for a reward.

The slave had the start of a few minutes.

That few minutes best spent not in trying to find a hiding place. A hiding place was immaterial in such chases, the five on the hunt, tireless, would collect more hunters, in a pack. There would be no defensible place, no outcropping, no stand of trees, no hillock. This was not war, the hunters not an enemy and the city not a sanctuary for slaves on the run.

But the port. The landing pads and the docks. The traffic of feet some also in chains and the traffic of equipment where a slave might become lost. Misplaced. Find a torch. Set himself free. That was his destination. A few precious minutes ahead and slowed by the climb up and over as the slave broke into the trash heaped near the opening of an alley way. To get to the port, to find freedom, the slave must weave thru the Market.

He was breathing heavily.

His body wore new scratches and several fresh strikes of the whip.

It was impossible to find a path straight through the Market. Kiosks dropped everywhere, displays and piles of nick knacks drifting out into the narrow walk ways in irregularities as hard as stone, and tall as trees. If he stopped moving hands would be on him. The pack so close the slave could hear their gasping breaths. As he gal-lumped the shackles preventing full steps, a full stride.

He could not double back. A crowd gathered and followed along the roadway at the curb, shouting thief, and seeking the attention of the Law.

The path he took was windless and well heated in the deeper parts of the Market. Clothing displays blocked any view of what or who might be just ahead, as though it were a wash of color, as though it were a painted banner for his passage.

Behind him, the hunters came. Calling to stop the thief, which was certainly of more interest to those with coin and currency than the running of a slave. He looked back. A mistake to be sure. The hunters were gaining even as he turned.

His grey green eyes narrowed. The black hair short and dripping with sweat. Just 6 foot and a frame of bone and sinew, the fat burned away years ago with the searing of his brand and the first of many owners. He struck out a foot and turned sharply leaping over a bench where an old man sat resting.

Cursing behind him and he smiled slightly at his own cleverness and was so successful with that first juke, he struck out that foot again. Another mistake.

Tag Sam

OOC: New here, thanks for inviting me. You folks are awesome!! Looking forward to having fun!!
Last edited by Grey Bruehl on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey Bruehl
Cadet 3rd Year
Cadet 3rd Year

Postby Sam Crerar » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:14 pm

After the funeral, Sam had gone for a walk through the market rather than mingle with the crew and mourners. She wasn't fond of funerals, and the post-funeral eating just wasn't her forte either. Also, she wasn't really in the mood to mingle since most of the crew was still not acting quite right around her. So, she walked. She ignored the loud sellers trying to get her attention, and the troves of purple-bellies monitoring the area. She just followed her feet.

Then she heard a commotion in a side alley. Sam went to see what was going on, and saw a man in shackles. Criminal was her first thought, and grabbed him as he was running, holding him by the shoulders. "Woah there, you're going to hurt someone running like that." She looked him up and down, noting his lean body and the brand on his left forearm and she realized her mistake. He wasn't a criminal, he was a slave, a legal one by the look of the brand. "Oh Huh choo-shung tza-jiao duh tzang-huo." She swore as she looked up and saw the hunters. She probably knew a few.

Sadly, in the crowded area of the market, she couldn't help the slave. Despite what she wanted. It was all legal, and far too dangerous. They wouldn't shoot a commodity, but they would shoot her. So, they came, and she let them take him. Cursing herself as she did.
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Quamie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:31 pm

Only once did one of the sisters aproach the young woman. She was a tall slender girl, with a face horribly scarred from overexposure to the sun, but with an almost briliant light in her eyes. Her manner was difident and careful, indeed penitent. She smiled and waved a friendly little wave as she tried to aproach for a few quiet words.

Ameri nearly turned away, but selfishness was not one of her traits. "I'm sorry," she whispered. "I don't mean to be rude." There was so much she wanted to say, but she had no words to say it. That she was deeply hurt that her Father had done such a thing to her, that she hurt for this sister, that she was there too. That she hoped life was better for them with Chuy Lo there, that the presence of them brought back waves of bad memories and fear. Instead, she offered her a plate of food- it was easier than trying to express her thoughts.

<tag!>
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Galifestus » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:47 am

Quamie wrote:"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I don't mean to be rude."

"It is alright. We did not wish to upset you with our apearance among your friends. I am very sorry for the pain we must be causing you."

She took the plate that was offered and held it, almost overwhelmed by the bounty it held. Things had been different-- radically different, under the auspices of the Reverend Lo. There was food every day that one could have for the simple task of preparing it. There was music full of hope and reverence. There was learning that did not involve turture for failures. There were no more crosses in the sun than on the day Lo had arrived.

"It...," she hesitated, and continued with more force in the words. "It is better. Like it should have always been. You could come and see some time, and it would be so different. Sister--" she stopped, eyes wide in fear she'd overstepped herself, but then she seemed to force herself onward. "Sister Ameri, you are one of us and welcome back any time, but nobody's to make you do it. Not us, not your friends, and not anybody else!"

She might have gone on even further, but an imposing figure aproached, and the girl nun bowed slightly and faded away to another part of the ship. Chuy Lo stood close to Ameri, trying to suss her reaction and her condition after the little sister's outburst. He wanted to show kindness and openness. He wanted to see if the evil that the monestary had been to her could be softened and the sting taken from it. He waited.

~tag Ameri
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Tavey » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:39 pm

Kynthia could only nod. "Goin' to miss you." she said simply to Lu. "I'm right glad though that you'll have a place that's safe and right."

Her words failed her then. She stepped forward and wrapped her arms around Lu giving her the kind of hug that spoke of friendship.

"Now, let's be gettin' your bits up an' done. Shoddy, Bug, come an' give us a hand here please." Kynthia called across to the two younger members of the crew.

TAG - Lu
TAG - Shoddy
TAG - Bug

As she turned to help with Lu's belongings, she caught sight of Chuy standing next to Ameri. A warm smile crossed her face and she nodded to him. Sometimes the simple things were all that was needed to heal.

TAGGITY TAGS!

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Quamie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:40 pm

"It...," she hesitated, and continued with more force in the words. "It is better. Like it should have always been. You could come and see some time, and it would be so different. Sister--" she stopped, eyes wide in fear she'd overstepped herself, but then she seemed to force herself onward. "Sister Ameri, you are one of us and welcome back any time, but nobody's to make you do it. Not us, not your friends, and not anybody else!"

She might have gone on even further, but an imposing figure aproached, and the girl nun bowed slightly and faded away to another part of the ship. Chuy Lo stood close to Ameri, trying to suss her reaction and her condition after the little sister's outburst. He wanted to show kindness and openness. He wanted to see if the evil that the monestary had been to her could be softened and the sting taken from it. He waited.

Ameri watched her go, with only a faint smile as a reassurance that she might at least come back to visit- maybe. She looked up at Chuy Lo. Here stood a young woman, who somehow had come through everything intact, though she seemed at first glance so fragile. She gave him a bow of respect, not of fear, and while shyness lingered about her form, there was a hint of self-confidence, the beginnings of healing.

"Make it better, Reverend. Make it always better." Her words were soft, almost a prayer, and heart-felt.

tag!
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:23 pm

“Aye my cap’n, oh cap’n oh cap’n, aye my cap’n, aye-aye.”

It wasn’t a limerick, and it wasn’t poetic, but then again it wasn’t quite English or even Mandarin. It was Scottish, brewed and fermented across the light-years from its highlands roots, all the way to a little ship sat on a dusty rock. Shoddy bounded over, eager to help out and ingratiate himself further into the gainful employment on the Monarch.

After all, there were plenty of folks out there who knew how to make an engine work, plenty of folk, and if Shoddy didn’t show a measure of initiative when it came to the bellowed orders of an employer he might well find himself hitch hiking again.

“So…where we be taken the stuff”? he asked, eyeing up the first bag to look at him funny “Not that I’m saying ya fine collection of items and sundries be just stuff, merely cataloguing metaphorically as ‘stuff’ to aid in simpler requests and understandings.”

In fact maybe it wasn’t just the accent that had brewed over time, as Shoddy seemed to weave from side to side in an all to merry manner for a man of his youthful years. After all, it was a wake, and in certain Celtic cultures wakes often carried a certain level of…well…’proof’ to them.

“My that’s a lot of bags…” Shamus said, leaning down and looking slightly left of centre.

TAG-Ky and Lu

Shamus 'Shoddy' McDonald
Ships Enigneer
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Tarragon Hunter had been trying to keep everything flowing and people comfortably eating and mingling without interrupting their conversations. She had listened to them briefly and had seen the elderly Mrs. Rapson board as well.

Tarra made sure that things were made available and readily accessible, and heard the goodbyes being bandied about by Lucille and the others. There was a moment, however brief, that made it a perfect opportunity to go and get something. Staying planet-side offered a few possibilities, and those somethings she could spare a few of.

Moving to both Mrs. Rapsons, Tarra held out a parcel with a few small packets inside. "For you both, and the baby, and of course, for your new place where you'll settle." Seeds. Some vegetable, some berries, and some herbs. "Hopefully, this will start you out on the right foot." It wasn't much, but it was all she could give. Excepting a care package of some of the leftovers from the day.

"All the best to you, Lucille, and take care of yourself." A brief and heartfelt hug was given, and she stepped aside, leaving the others to walk her down the ramp and carry her belongings.

More leaving.

Turning away from the procession, she moved back into the further reaches of the dining area, and began slowly cleaning up, keeping the emptying plates from stacking uncontrollably in the sink. It was easier for her to keep busy, than not. And everyone else seemed to be otherwise occupied, so it seemed to mesh well enough. Her face remained impassive as she worked.

~Tag anyone

Tarragon Hunter
Chef and Crew Member
Monarch - Firefly Class
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Kynthia and the others helped Lu load her bags onto a hovering vehicle waiting nearby.

Chris's mother bustled around Lu, making sure that she was comfortable and settled in one of the passenger seats. She then climbed into another, while a well kept young man slid into the driver seat and started the engine. It had all happened so fast, that Ky was actually a little spun around.

"Lu.." she said, hurrying forward. " Any time. Alright. You be callin' when the babe is born. We want to know about it." then she thought. "Well, maybe not Sam. Bet Sam ain't all that interested in baby type details. But sill, rest of us, especially Merry, we want to know all."

Lu smiled softly.

Kynthia moved back to the ramp, and stood with the rest of them that had come to see Lu off. She raised a hand, as the tan coloured hover gently moved away.

TAG - Lu.
TAG - The rest of ya.

Around them, fingers of the evening slid across the ground. Some of the Browncoats were already getting ready for an overnight vigil in their chosen places in the Valley. Somber groups of them were leaving the shipyard, carrying lanterns and chairs.

Kynthia shivered.

Tomorrow would be a long day.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby SDJThorin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:24 pm

As the guests left, Titan let the band relax and have at the abundant leftovers. After they were done eating they generously offered to help with the cleanup from the party.

Well paid and happy, the band left.
Current Characters:
  • -- CyberPunk 2268: GM / Storyteller (My CyberPunk 2020 SIM -- PM me to join)
  • -- deadToronto: Karl (Normal -- Mechanical Engineer -- All Flesh Must Be Eaten SIM)

Retired Characters:
  • -- Firefly Monarch: Svek (Security Specialist), Titan (Passenger -- Businessman)
  • -- USS Caduceus (Mirror): K'retok, of the House of T'var (Klingon -- XO of A.S. Medusa)

Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to Firefly: Monarch