The Eye in the Sky. Part 2 - Water

Torchwood Ten, an organization dedictated to defending England against the future. Because the 21st Century is when it all changed.

Moderator: [Sim] Torchwood Ten - Hosts

What's this stuff? oops...

Postby Tavey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:06 pm

Derowen looked around at the others by the ambient light of their torches. She knew how Quin was feeling. Only too well.

Touching his arm gently, she nodded at him. "Sometimes it feels like you are little better. But you are. and you need to remember that." Her voice was quiet, warm.

As she moved away from him, she looked at the others. "Nathan? Hurt?" she said. "Shall we?"

She opened up the transmission for them all to hear on her palmtop. "We can't find a location easily. Down here the signals will eventually get scrambled. Too much ferrous." Tapping at the keys, she turned around in a tight circle until she was facing the direction that they had come from.

"This way. I have a faint trace on his earpiece."

She began to walk along the dark tunnel, the beam from her torch illuminating the old brickwork of the walls. Odd shadows bounced with her steps. She waited at a t-junction that they had already come through, Her light picked out the chalk mark on the wall clearly. She checked her palmtop and grimaced.

"Signal is coming from the direction we haven't been down. I am losing it. We need to hurry. He sounds frantic." She motioned ahead for the others to go in front.

"Keep your eyes open. I don't really remember this area at all. I have no idea what is down there. Fred, stay with me please. We will keep an eye out behind, in case there are other surprises."

Together Grace, Eric and Quin moved forward, falling naturally into a pattern they had used before. The man from UNIT also fell in, working with Grace as if they had trained together. Which, given their backgrounds, was a logical assumption.

Fred and Derowen followed, walking sideways, and watching carefully around the area.

The silence was broken only by the sound of Nathan's muffled voice and the footsteps of the team. Even their breathing seemed loud.

Even with the vigilance, things happened incredibly quickly. They moved into an area of the tunnel that was covered in some kind of mesh. All it took was one touch. One single touch.

And, in order to figure out what it was, someone reached a hand out and rubbed a finger along the mesh. There was a flurry of movement and what seemed like a million legs and faceted eyes that reflected back the light. The team scattered in the face of the onslaught. Someone began to fire, though at what nobody quite knew.

Derowen screamed in terror, all pretense of being the collected woman they knew vanishing with the sight of this creature. She turned and fled down the corridor.

She escaped the web that dropped from the ceiling, trapping all of the rest of the team in a sticky, immobilizing mess. As the giant spider worked around each of them to wrap them securely, all they could do was struggle and watch.

Derowen made it to the junction before she stopped and realised that there were no footsteps following her. Closing her eyes against the fear that trickled fingers along her nerves, she turned again and faced the way she had run.

Finally, she tapped her earpiece to activate the all team frequency. "Wen to team. Where are you?"

TAG - Everyone in the tunnels.

OOC - Trust me guys, I have a reason for getting you all. Please give Wen some nice verbal abuse and I will show you what I mean!

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby LrShadow » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:01 pm

Nathan tried and tried again to get free of whatever was holding him. He could only issue a few half heard grunts and moans, the later from his broken ribs which the rest of the team hadn't know about. Funny now, that it was his broken ribs that kept him awake from the seeping poison in his veins.

'Why hadn't he written about this event in the archives, why hadn't there been something of the danger down here.' he thought as he struggled. Then, he stopped.... cold fear seeping through him as surely as the poison was. 'What if he never made it out of here.....' he thought.

'NO!' he thought furiously, 'Thats not how this works.'

Flashes of light glinted down one of the halls. He could barely see, but there was movement down that way. The clicking legs moved further above, moving toward the lights.... FROM THE CEILING!?!?

Nathan struggled, desperate to free at least his mouth so he could yell for them to save their own lives. To run, something.... but he was bound tight, or his limbs were still not responding to his need. Either way....

Then came the sounds of screaming and gun fire. Something hit him, a bullet maybe, but he couldn't feel it. The screaming sounded high pitched, the height of fear. Thats good, he thought, I will have to high light that.

The quiet came again, except for the shuffling sound of many mostly quiet legs and what sounded like cloth floating down. They must have been webbed he thought, his mind latching onto anything to keep him awake.

Something cracked, a shell or something cracking open. And then came the tiny sound of a mandible closing and opening. Nathan tried to spit as something warm and wet hit his chin and seemed into his mouth. A coppery taste filled him with a dread he had never known before.

'Babies!?!' he thought and realized that the bullet that had hit him was waking some of them to fresh meat.......

A hopeless dread filled him, he no longer struggled as his mind turned inward seeking that empty place where he could hide while he died.

TAG ALL
'... we must be kind to one another. Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light our way to a better future. We are one.'
- G'kar and Sheridan, The Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles

Yahoo= LrShadow
=============================

Ranger Zed McCann - X Trinidad Station (R.I.P.)

Nathan Scott - Torchwood 10
LrShadow
SLA Fleet Captain
SLA Fleet Captain

Postby Foxy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:35 pm

Derowen looked at the others. "Nathan? Hurt?" she said. "Shall we?"

As Wen struggled to get a clear trace of Nathan, Grace chuckled. It was ironic, really. If it had been anyone else, his little box of tricks could probably find them in seconds. Maybe this would persuade him to let her have a look at the specs...

As they entered the unfamiliar tunnel, Grace dropped to the rear by habit, letting Eric take point, flanked by Quin and Tim. What happened next took barely a couple of seconds, but Grace felt the time stretching. Unfortunately, her reaction speed stretched accordingly. First someone up front commented on something they'd seen. Then there was a noise that Grace thought at first was leaves being bowled along by a breeze, then she saw the legs. Spiders - hordes of the things. Derowen passed her, running. Ahead of her, someone started firing.

"For Pete's sakes, wait for a decent target," she bellowed, "before you hit one of u..." She was cut off mid-word as a sticky mass fell on her. As she raised her arms to fend it off, she found them stuck to it and rapidly numbing where it came into contact with her skin. The gun slipped from her fingers and clattered to the floor. "Don't let it touch you," she yelled, but had a nasty feeling her warning was going to be too late. With her arms stuck in front of her face, her view was already partially blocked, but at least her head was clear, protected by her hands above it. Unable to move them, all she could do was imagine what was happening when she heard a louder scuttling and felt the numbing web closing in around her.

Spiders, the dark and enclosed spaces. Even though she wasn't normally afraid of any of those, in this combination, in these circumstances, she could feel the fight or flight mechanism kicking in, with nowhere to go. Tears of frustration sprang to her eyes as something pulled her sharply off her feet and into the air and she found herself suspended from the ceiling, swaying gently. She swore angrily, wriggling as best she could, but with so little able to move all it did was make her swing to and fro. Feeling a little sick, she tried to fix what little sight she had on something stationary - like that cocoon-thing next to her. Only as the swinging subsided did she realise...

It was Nathan.

He was trussed up and stored for dinner and now she was in the same state.

"Wen to team. Where are you?" Derowen's voice made her jump. She had been so engrossed in her own troubles, she'd almost forgotten about the others.

"Grace here," she replied, "I've found Nathan. We're both... stuck to the ceiling. Whatever you do, don't let the web touch you. How's everyone else?"

TAG - Everyone in the tunnels.

Thanks, Azaria!
Foxy
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby brawl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:58 pm

A shot popped off to his right, and suddenly Tim Carlyle was trapped in a flurry of activity. He drew his combat knife about a split second before he was covered in sticky goo and drawn to the ceiling. He realised his knife was near his eyes, so he swiftly cut an eye hole in the webbing. He regretted it immediately.

"Forbes, this is Carlyle," he said. "I'm right here about ten ya- meters from your perch. Uhm... McFie, you better hurry with the calvary. I've got about a thousand sets of hungry eyes looking at me alone."

(tag Wen, Grace)
~ Captain Michael S Tucker, CO, USS Ark Royal NCC-71331 ~
~ Lieutenant Michael Thornton, CENG, USS Pegasus ~
brawl
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: Utah, USS Ark Royal, USS Pegasus and the whole wide Marvel Universe on off days

Postby Quin » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Quin almost welcomed it. The wrapping in the web, the numbness and loss of sensation, even the darkness held no terror for him.

He waited for the inevitable and while he waited thoughts crossed his mind, strange wild almost dreams of blood and screams and pain. He was holding a bloodstained knife but it wasn't him that was holding it. It wasn't his hand but he could feel the rough handle of the weapon in his fingers.

The blood was all round him the smell of it metallic and cloying at the same time. There were bodies and small whimpering cries. They were worse than the screams. "Give me back my mind," he screamed. Or he thought he did. All that he could manage was a muffled cry.
Quin - Torchwood 10
You got a problem with me? Good.
Quin
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Tavey » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:06 pm

Derowen shrank back against the wall. She tried to get her breathing under control. She could hear the others, could hear the thing moving. The things.

She eased herself along the wall back towards the area she had fled. Images filled her mind of creatures long dead, teams long forgotten by any except her.

Rounding the corner, she stopped and dropped into a patch of shadow. The torches lay scattered on the floor for the most part. Some tangled in pieces of a gigantic web that looked like a funnel. Their beams created horrific shadows and more movement than there might otherwise be. Derowen couldn't guess at how many of the smaller ones were skittering along the webs.

She found herself staring into Graces eyes with a bit of desperation tight around her own. Biting her lip almost to the point where it bled, she tried to think. Tried to know how to cope with this.

About the only good thing was that there were a couple of the cocoon type things swinging close to the edge. She might be able to get to them..

If she could only make her legs work to get closer.

TAG - Grace

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Black Scar Ozzy » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:26 pm

Fred hung there, motionless. His eyes were shut, though the sticky webbing covered his vision anyway. Trapped, and worse. He was spider food now. Why did it have to be a giant spider? He trembled slightly, as Derowen’s voice came over the comm unit attached to his right ear.

"Wen to team. Where are you?"
He waited as others piped up; none seemed to have anything reassuring to say.
“Not how I planned to die, to be honest with you.” Fred said a tremor of fear in his voice. “If you could see fit to save us, before dinner, it would be much appreciated.”

Tag
When you stare into the depths of space, all your see is infinity staring back at you, letting you know, just how insignificant you really are.

Where would we be without Kuruma..?

Active
- Fred BJ Black (Torchwood Ten)
- "Black Scar" (Dragon Squadron, FL)

Forgotten
- Leiutenant Commander Kurayami Sennai / SW-142
- Black / Kageashi / SW-193
Black Scar Ozzy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Quin » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:27 pm

Quin heard the voice in his ear. The words were meaningless. He heard other voices answering it, he didn't recognise them. He was with all the blood, so much blood. He could feel it coating his hands, it was on his face, in his hair. He whimpered again, he couldn't think clearly.

The sword. He tried to focus his thoughts on the sword. He could feel it inside him, the one constant in what had become a bewildering existence.

Then suddenly his mind was clear. It was Wen speaking and Fred. "I'm here," Quin replied. "I've had better days."

Quin - Torchwood 10
Quin
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Saint » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:15 am

Eric was looking up at the mess around him and fidgeting very slowly. "Wen... You did not mention f*cking spiders!" He tried all he could to get out of the mass that was keeping him very much put.

"Dear Holy Heaven and mother of God... I hate F*CKING SPIDERS!" If you wanted a way to get under the Cajun's skin, you truly found it. In the most scared fashion you could see him in. A little baby spider hissed at him and he nearly wanted to faint.

"When I get outta this gawd damned thing, I'm kicking somebody's ass." The baby hissed at him. "And you're first, you little creep. And Derowen is probably a close second right now!"

He then looked over at the baby and asked it, "You wouldn't happen to have eaten someone with liquor, would you have?" The baby just gleaned at him. "Just great, of all the times I sobered up... I'm about to die as spider food."

And then he looks up. "Nice one..."

Tag - All
Saint
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Tavey » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:34 pm

Derowen MacFie, scourge of more aliens and odd creatures than your average science fiction writer has had hot dinners, cowered. She covered her eyes, peeking through her fingers.

Then shuffled forward, crept back. Hesitated. Trembled.

Lost her temper at herself.

Stood up and took a step closer, shining the beam of her torch into the faceted eyes of one of the babies. It fled from the strange brightness that hurt. Finally Wen had an idea.

"Hang on!" she called back over her shoulder. Winced at the choice of words and continued to run to the entrance of the tunnels. She slipped on the gore in the tunnels, shuddering at the sensation.

Reaching the entrance, she motioned to one of the UNIT soldiers standing there.

"I need some kind of flare. Bright. Now. maybe more than one." She ordered, running past and towards Neville and Stevens.

"I don't have time for questions. You, department 51 man. If you are attached to my team, it's about time you found out what we deal with. Get yourself ready to come back in with me. There are a number of nasty things in there we need to deal with. Who let the camera team in there? Did they get a signal out?"

Just then one of the soliders arrived with a small case. "Emergency flares do the job?" She asked, passing it over to Wen, who nodded gratefully.

Without looking back, she ran back towards the tunnel entrance. "Mister Department 51? If you're coming.. get a move on."

TAG - Neville.
TAG - Stevens.

Returning to the web, Derowen realised that, at best, she would only be able to retrieve maybe two of the team. She considered her options carefully. Quin was close to the edge as was Fred. Grace was slightly further in, close to a highly bundled something, that Wen assumed was Nathan. Eric had to be the flailing and twisting one off to one side.

She made her choice and stepped forward, a flare ready to strike. Twisting the cap off, she got herself ready to create lots of nasty light.

"I am back." She said clearly. "I can get two of you out, and then we will get the rest. Close your eyes!"

She struck the top of the tube with the starter. A brilliant pinkish red light filled the tunnel. The spiders retreated from it, save for the largest, who hovered closer than her babies.

Derowen held the flare out in front of her, and hurried towards Quin. She used the light at the end to sear the strands holding him up and dragged him clear. Then did the same for Fred. It took a couple more of the flares to get them as far away as she could. By the time she was finished, she was trembling with the exertion.

Mama Spider began to lose her wariness and eased closer. Shaking, Wen threw the flare at it. Then retreated with the two she had been able to get down.

She pulled the sticky strands from around Quin first, checking to make sure he was alright. Then did the same for Fred.

"Listen. I have another 5 of those flares. And Quin.. I can't do this anymore. I need to be myself again. Now. Think you are up to it?"

TAG - Quin
TAG - Fred.
TAG - Anyone else in the tunnels.

In the meantime - The short clip of the weevil was being watched across the globe. Conspiracy buff began to email the link to each other. The whole process took less than an hour.

TAG - Yoohoo... You know who you are!!

OOC - Note, this process would have taken three flares to complete. Roughly. Bear in mind these are UNIT flares, so any times you may find online do not count.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Quin » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:44 pm

Quin nodded. He looked into Wen's eyes. "I think I've got your memories, and those of everyone else that has carried the sword" he said. "It's been playing tricks on me. There was so much blood and I could feel the knife in my hand but it wasn't my hand."

He sighed deeply. "It's certainly been an experience but yes I'm ready."
Quin - Torchwood 10
Quin
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Foxy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:27 pm

"Wen. You're the only one free. You're going to have to get us out of this."

There was no answer. Just the sound of everyone breathing far too quickly. Then Derowen inched closer. For a moment, Grace could see her eyes. They were full of fear. The woman was about to do a runner. Their mighty leader who had called them all together and then led them into... this... was about to desert them.

"Get a bloody spine, woman, or you'll lose another team!" It was a low shot and Grace knew it. It wasn't nice, but it was the only thing she could think of that would break through. She prayed it would be enough.

Derowen blinked and then ran.

Grace cursed. She'd blown it. She'd bloody blown it and now they were all going to die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sir. We've got incoming from the tunnel. A woman," one of the guards at the tunnel reported.

"Bring her to me," commanded Stevens. Not that she needed bringing - she was heading straight for them anyway.

"I don't have time for questions." She turned to Neville. "You, department 51 man. If you are attached to my team, it's about time you found out what we deal with. Get yourself ready to come back in with me. There are a number of nasty things in there we need to deal with. Who let the camera team in there? Did they get a signal out?"

"They got in before we were in position, ma'am. We're in damage limitation now," Stevens was embarassed - his team should have kept a better lid on it. Heads would roll later, but he wasn't about to wash their dirty linen in public.

Just then one of the soliders arrived with a small case. "Emergency flares do the job?" She asked, passing it over to Wen, who nodded gratefully.

Without looking back, she ran back towards the tunnel entrance. "Mister Department 51? If you're coming.. get a move on."

Stevens started after them, then reminded himself - he had his orders and UNIT had not been invited in. Much like vampires, there was no entry to Torchwood territory for them without a specific invitation. He ground his teeth - the frustration of being stuck out here, knowing there was something going down underground. Even the suit was getting an invite, but not UNIT. And they wondered why the two organisations were often at loggerheads...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I am back," Grace had never been so glad to hear Wen's voice. "I can get two of you out, and then we will get the rest. Close your eyes!"

Even through her closed eyelids, Grace was aware of the flash. As it died away, she risked opening them again and saw the queen illuminated. Christ, the bugger was huge.

"We're going to need a really big glass and piece of cardboard..." she muttered to herself, trying to mask her fear. Looking at the cocoon next to her, she raised her voice. "Nathan, can you hear me? Wen's back and things are happening. Get ready to be rescued." Maybe if she said it out loud, she'd believe it herself.

TAG - Nathan

Thanks, Azaria!
Foxy
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AJHoyt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:20 am

Chicago rain, its heavy drops battering his apartment kitchen window always reminded Rubin Hart of enfilading small arms fire. Lightning next, he thought. And then a power failure.

He focused on the catch-of-the-day from his newsbots; another Chupacabra road kill picture, the Bigfoot in a Georgia freezer had been stolen and replaced with a monkey suit, and an alien sighting near London's Camden Lock.

Rubin sighed wearily. His sigh made a teetering pile of tabloids riffle to the floor revealing a stack of collection notices, the topmost from the power company. Lightning filled his kitchen with flickering blue. He bet that Nature would pull his plug before the power company could.

He clicked the Camden alien link, a YouTube clip. Before he had fully registered the image, Rubin had jumped up and back, sending the wooden chair thudding against the gas stove.

"Whoa!" he yelled. The image froze. "Whoa," he said again softly. He retrieved the chair, sat and clicked Replay.

"An effin' Weevil!" Rubin sat there puzzling. Torchwood One may not have quietly shut down and simply forgotten about exiling him on indefinite leave. Maybe it had been annihilated and therefore had not tidied up after itself. Maybe this meant that the rift had either reopened or had never been closed. It meant big trouble.

His kitchen flickered blue. A clap of thunder. His laptop died. Rubin sat in the afternoon gloom staring at the blank screen. "Thanks, you stupid battery!"

Two stories below, car doors slammed. Heavy. Big car.

He peeked out his rain streaked window. Black Cadillac double parked. A face looking up from the driver window.

Rubin knew two gorilla sized men were on their way up. They'd extract their overdue loan from his hide.

He opened the refrigerator, moved two bags of frozen peas and pulled out his late father's .38 snub nose revolver. He slipped the safety off. He drew out something oblong and bent that looked like a grotesquely huge insect egg case.

Holding the revolver in his right hand, he tapped the egg case in three spots with his left thumb. "Come on," he begged it, "have one more charge in you."

In a deep voice it asked, "Reeboo no bah?"

"Weevil," Rubin said.

"Reeboo no bah?"

Heavy footsteps thumped the stairs down the hall.

"Take me to the nearest living Weevil."

"Reeboo no bah?"

Someone knocked on his locked door. The knocking became pounding.

"Nearest Weevil to Camden Locks!"

"Reeboo no bah?"

His apartment door splintered. Two men in tan raincoats, looking more Slavic than Italian, shouldered through. They saw him in his kitchen. Mayhem was on their broad blocky faces. Their eyes focused on his pistol.

Rubin yelled, his voice rising in pitch to a squeak. "Weevil! Camden Lock! London England, Planet Earth!"

The two thugs turned prismatic as they drew and aimed huge pistols at his face. He fell backward and forward at the same time through a flickering white light. His gut reeled in wrenching vertigo.

He stood blind with a dank smell assailing his nostrils. He distinctly heard something struggling near him on the floor. He smelled Weevil.

The alien device ignited in his hand. He dropped it. In its burning amber light he saw a wounded and bound male Weevil struggling at the tips of his shoes.

The next instant he was bathed by pinkish white light that flared brightly enough to make him squirt. The wavering shadow of someone, female, flickered and flinched on a brick lined wall.

Something long forgotten took over. Without fully processing why, he aimed his dad's gun in front of him and ran toward the flaring light.

He ran up onto a bizarre scene dimly lit by fallen flashlights and dying flares. A woman was speaking earnestly to two wriggling cocoons on the floor. One cocoon replied in a male voice, "It's certainly been an experience but yes I'm ready."

Cocoons on the ceiling. A huge queen spider advanced on the woman while babies huddled close but advanced behind her.

Instinct told Rubin to act. He aimed and just before firing he said, "Kill the queen, save the team." He fought the desire to madly empty his revolver. He aimed each shot two-handed, hoping to hit the queen's tiny insectoid brain. The queen slowed and waved her two crooked black front legs ever more spasmodically in the dying light, but she didn't stop moving forward. The revolver began to click on empty chambers.

>>> tags.

OOC: At long last I've joined the team as the newest member. Please don't kill this character. :D Bio to follow. He's an unusually ordinary looking person...the sort who looks like he works hard at not standing out in a crowd...watching him operate your gut should tell you this American has been involved in a Torchwood, but not yours.
Rubin Hart - former Torchwood One field operative - now in service, Torchwood Ten
AJ Hoyt - Security, B5: Trinidad Station
Charles Cog - Astrophysicist - SG7

"What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down." – Mary Pickford
AJHoyt
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Black Scar Ozzy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:39 am

Fred thanked Derowen for freeing him, and listened as she quickly got them up to speed. As she turned and spoke to Quin, Fred patted his empty holster, and then started to search the floor for his gun. That was when he heard footsteps. He looked up from the floor as a man ran in, and then started shooting at the queen spider.

Fred turned and looked at the queen to see that her thick exoskeleton protected her from standard rounds.
“****!” Fred said as he frantically returned to finding his pistol. His hands finally found the familiar grip of his pistol and he stood up.

Fred suddenly wished he had his high explosive rounds for his pistol with him. He figured that not only would the explosive charge piece that thick exoskeleton, but the flash should help keen the little buggers away. He picked up an unused flare from the box, and looked at Derowen and Quin.

“Do what you have to do, and do it quick.” He stated as he hit the top of the flare, and turned his attention back to the queen. It clicked its giant hollow fangs together, a dibble of liquid oozed out of them.
“Please don’t be poisonous.” Fred muttered under his breath, as he stepped forward, blocking Derowen and Quin from the queen, and hoping to buy them time.

Fred tried to think back to a biology lesson when he was a kid at school, being taught about spiders. They even got to dissect a few. They can’t eat solids, so a slow painful death. There is the epigyne. The reproductive organ of the female spider. Problem was that it was on the underside of the belly.
“You wouldn’t think about leaving would you?” Fred asked nicely.

In response the Queen, smashed its forelegs into the ground before Fred.
“I’ll take that as a no.” Fred said looking up in terror.

Tag
When you stare into the depths of space, all your see is infinity staring back at you, letting you know, just how insignificant you really are.

Active

Forgotten
Black Scar Ozzy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby MattW » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:16 am

Tavey wrote:.

TAG - Neville.
TAG - Stevens.

From curiosity, Neville Warwick followed her for a couple of seconds - but then remembered his duty. He was needed out here to handle the Media. The cover story would be completely 'blown' if a mere Public Relations Officer was seen running into a tunnel that was allegedly full of dangerous and sensitive unexploded ordnance.

"I wonder how Clark Kent always manages to find a convenient phone booth?" muttered Neville. "Oh well... no doubt they'll have it all sorted out in a matter of minutes. There can't be that much of a problem... otherwise they'd have asked for a squad of soldiers."

He caught sight of Stevens. "No I'm not going into there Captain. To quote one of the greats, 'I'm not stupid. I'm not expendable. And I'm not going.'"
MattW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Quin » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:18 pm

"Fire at her eyes," Quin said calmly. "Don't let her bite you her poison will dissolve you from the inside."

He managed to pull free from the remaining strands of web. "Amazing stuff spider silk, so strong."

He looked at Derowen then back to Fred and the newcomer. "Does anyone have a spare gun, I seem to have lost mine somewhere."
Quin - Torchwood 10
Quin
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Tavey » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 pm

Derowen could hear Graces words echo through her. "Get a spine or lose another team". They hurt. So much more than anyone could ever even imagine. After all, this was what.. her third or fourth version of the Ten Team. There had been so many.

She began to prepare for the transition of the artifact that she called the Sword. In a sudden flurry of motion someone appeared behind her and immediately began to fire upon the giant spider hovering over the helpless team.

"Kill the Queen, save the Team." The stranger said. Wen rolled her eyes up to the ceiling at the sound. This could not be true. Of all the people she least expected he ranked third. After The Doctor and Jack Harkness.

"Rubin Hart. Still blasting away at statues? " She said, as she removed her jacket. "Mind helping with freeing the rest of the Team?"

"Wen. Still at it I see." He replied, stepping forward to stand with Fred.

"You expected anything else?" She responded relaxing more than she could say. Someone else she could rely on was only a bonus. She raised her voice to call loudly to the others. "This is Rubin. Torchwood One. Treat him nicely. We did just partially destroy his home after all." She undid her shirt and slid it from her shoulders revealing the lines of the surgery she had undergone still etched into her pale skin.

TAG - Ruben.
TAG - the Team.

"Now, your turn Quin." She said quietly. She pulled him to a sitting position, and hugged him tightly as she did. "You probably saved my life. I am ready to take back on my burden. To stand for it again. I miss it truthfully. So, since I don't have time for the fancy version, I need to do this the fast and dirty way. It's going to hurt."

As she spoke, she dug out a swiss army knife from her pocket. On her last words, she slashed down with the opened blade and sliced into his arm. She followed suit with her own arm and pressed the two together.

"So you know.. " she said, as pain glazed her voice and eyes. "It really just likes blood I think."

TAG - Quin.

With a sudden scream, she curled around them both. The sensation of the sword questing filled her completely.

TAG - Everyone.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby AJHoyt » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Rubin had the intensely bizarre feeling of having his longest standing fantasy granted in the middle of a living nightmare. Derowen tore off her top to reveal unabashedly her femininity like a scarred and beautiful Amazon. The great female spider backed up only very slightly from the flaring torch waved by the man beside him and it began to ooch the tip of its bulbous abdomen forward bringing to bear glinting black spinnerets. Rubin knew they all were seconds from envelopment and then slow excruciating death.

He stared up at the cocooned bodies wriggling from the ceiling almost too high to reach.

He looked down at the floor. He stomped on the blackened end of a spent flare, flattening the metal tube to a thin squared off blade. He picked it up. It was still sizzling hot in his palm. He reached up high, straining on tiptoes. He used the crude blade to cut the heavy web away from an upside-down face.

A woman and a damn angry one at that. He slashed at the web as high as he could reach on her until she hung with her arms free. He guessed she'd naturally do the rest to free herself.

>>> tag Grace

Rubin moved to the next swaying cocoon and hacked at the web the same way. An upside down man in a military uniform. Rubin plied the makeshift blade until the man's hands were free; one held a knife.

>>> tag Tim

Rubin cut away at the next cocoon. A scarlet face emerged that loosed a volley of completely unintelligible Cajun save for his intention to cause someone or something immediate harm.

>>> tag Eric

Panting from the effort, arms aching from being held so long overhead, Rubin worked doggedly on the last cocoon. Another upside-down man, gasping and grimacing in pain. Blood dribbled down his upside-down face as he hung from his heels. The man's eyes were glassy and moved around confused. He was muttering. Rubin took the time on this one to help support him while trying to cut him free of the web.

>>> tag Nathan, Quin and Wen
Rubin Hart - former Torchwood One field operative - now in service, Torchwood Ten
AJ Hoyt - Security, B5: Trinidad Station
Charles Cog - Astrophysicist - SG7

"What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down." – Mary Pickford
AJHoyt
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Quin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:31 am

"Now, your turn Quin." She said quietly. She pulled him to a sitting position, and hugged him tightly as she did. "You probably saved my life. I am ready to take back on my burden. To stand for it again. I miss it truthfully. So, since I don't have time for the fancy version, I need to do this the fast and dirty way. It's going to hurt."

Quin looked directly into Wen's eyes. "I know," he said simply. "Just do it don't give me too long to think about it."

As she spoke, she dug out a swiss army knife from her pocket. On her last words, she slashed down with the opened blade and sliced into his arm. She followed suit with her own arm and pressed the two together.

"So you know.. " she said, as pain glazed her voice and eyes. "It really just likes blood I think."

Quin nodded. The pain was far beyond that of a simple cut. He couldn't speak but his eyes held hers. He could feel a cold sweat break out over his entire body as the sword began to react.

With a sudden scream, she curled around them both. The sensation of the sword questing filled her completely.

Quin's scream echoed Wen's as the sword began to move. He held her as tight and close as he could. His mouth was full of the taste of blood he must have bitten through his lip. He hoped it wasn't anything more serious than that. He had no idea what the sword might do to him as it left his body.
Quin - Torchwood 10
Quin
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Tavey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:16 am

In an endless moment of time, Wen and Quin were wrapped into each others minds and memories.

With a slow sinuous movement, the artifact known as The Sword began to detach from Quin's body. Nerves were released, tendons allowed to relax. All too slowly, it slipped along his torso. Oozed along his muscles towards the open cut.

Derowen opened her mind completely to it. She urged it to rejoin with it's longest host. Welcomed it, wanted it. The desire to be whole again coiled through her body.

It reached the edge of the wound on Quins arm and send a thin feeler towards Wen's. Her head pulled up and she stared into Quin's eyes.

"Here we go." She murmured.

It hesitated. She had always known it was really alive. This thing that had melded with an ancient sword a long time ago. Then suddenly greedy several more tendrils leapt for her body. They wrapped around her arm, almost feeding. Then slowly oozed into her.

The pain was as if someone had taken a series of razor blades, heated them up and drawn them along their minds and nerves. Beyond screaming now, all Wen could do was breathe with it and hope that it would be done soon.

With a last pop, one that reminded her of the first time she had encountered the thing, it left Quin's body. He fell backwards. A light flared along his arm for a moment. When it faded, the shape of a sword was left, branded into his forearm.

Along Wen's spine, a familiar shape began to glow.

TAG - Quin
TAG - Everyone. (Out ya come, let's get on with the last of The Eye!!)

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby LrShadow » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:32 pm

Chaos..... flashing lights.... the taste of cooper, warm and wet..... some screaming, but of it all Nathan couldn't focus on any of it. The only thing he did focus on was the pain from his broken rib. It must be out of place, he thought. The pain was all he had that kept him conscious, it was the only thing his brain could hold on to. The rest.... was still frames in the dark, all meaningless.

Nathans brain, being the only true gift and curse took still frame photos of his world and stored them away. Later, when he could focus, he would peruse those fear filled moments and examine them scene by sickly scene. The pain throbbed and some part of Nathan wished for death, welcomed it. Was this how my parents went in that station, that quiet voice whispered to his shocked mind. Had it been like this, the flashing, the burning and screaming..... right before the pain and welcoming embrace of Death's cold tender touch?

He fell, somehow, into someones arms. The world righted itself once more and the pain, a moment ago distant, moved to the forefront of his mind as the numbing webs fell away from him. Frantically, almost drunkenly Nathan ripped his backpack open, the bag itself unfolding as it always had. Opening some pockets he pulled out a few palm size patches to someone near, he wasn't sure who.

"Slap these on the wounds of anyone whos been wounded." his voice sounded hollow, distant to his own ears. Another pocket he found a small bottle of pills which he opened shakily and popped two bright orange tablets into his mouth.

TAG anyone

Opening his shirt Nathan found that he had been shot. Bandages held his broken right rib, but the left side of his chest had a small wound. Finding his PDA he scanned it.

"Went through and glanced off and out my rib cage." Nathan muttered feeling lucky. His rib hadn't survived so well, but it would hold til they got back to base. Another pocket and another pill, it would be just find in a few moments. He rested wondering how the others were.

"Hows our Sword wielders doing?" Nathan asked, hoping to distract everyone from him to the other two.

TAG any/all
'... we must be kind to one another. Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light our way to a better future. We are one.'
- G'kar and Sheridan, The Alliance Preamble to the Declaration of Principles

Yahoo= LrShadow
=============================

Ranger Zed McCann - X Trinidad Station (R.I.P.)

Nathan Scott - Torchwood 10
LrShadow
SLA Fleet Captain
SLA Fleet Captain

Postby Foxy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:32 pm

An unfamiliar voice. American by the sounds of things. And a revolver. Sounded like a Smith and Wesson, but with the echoing in the tunnel, she couldn't be sure which. He came over and loosened her cocoon.

"Thanks!" she replied gratefully as she squeezed her way out. Her arms were numb, but still working enough to ease her way to the floor. She looked up as the stranger pulled Nathan out. Poor sod was obviously disorientated and injured too by the look of things.

Frantically, almost drunkenly Nathan ripped his backpack open, the bag itself unfolding as it always had. Opening some pockets he pulled out a few palm size patches to someone near, he wasn't sure who.

"Slap these on the wounds of anyone whos been wounded." his voice sounded hollow, distant to his own ears. Another pocket he found a small bottle of pills which he opened shakily and popped two bright orange tablets into his mouth.

Grace grabbed the patches and started by slapping one on Nathan himself.

"Physician, heal thyself," she stated pointedly before checking the others. Quin and Derowen would probably need some once they'd finished their... whatever the hell they were doing.

"Hows our Sword wielders doing?" Nathan asked, hoping to distract everyone from him to the other two.

"Busy at the moment. I'll check back with them in a minute. What about you?" Grace pulled his jacket aside. "Need a bandage on that?"

TAG - Nathan

She turned to the new arrival. "And to whom do I owe the pleasure?"

TAG - Rubin

"When we're done, I'll buy you a drink!" Grace offered. "Lord knows, I'll need one..."

Thanks, Azaria!
Foxy
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Quin » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:46 pm

It hesitated. She had always known it was really alive. This thing that had melded with an ancient sword a long time ago. Then suddenly greedy several more tendrils leapt for her body. They wrapped around her arm, almost feeding. Then slowly oozed into her.

The pain was as if someone had taken a series of razor blades, heated them up and drawn them along their minds and nerves. Beyond screaming now, all Wen could do was breathe with it and hope that it would be done soon.

With a last pop, one that reminded her of the first time she had encountered the thing, it left Quin's body. He fell backwards. A light flared along his arm for a moment. When it faded, the shape of a sword was left, branded into his forearm.

Along Wen's spine, a familiar shape began to glow.

Quin's feelings were mixed. The parasite that was the sword left his body and his initial reaction was of relief that it was over, that it had gone. Then he felt an immense sense of loss. He had only been the bearer for a short time, how must Wen have felt after it being a part of her for so long. He felt grief and a longing to experience the sword again just for a short while.

Then he became aware of the various aches and pains all over his body. The bites and scratches that the weevil had inflicted stung and burned. He felt as if his life had been on hold and was now starting again.

He sat up shakily. Quin's eyes were full of tears and he angrily rubbed them away. He looked across to Wen to make sure that she was all right. He knew that his relationship with her would never be quite the same. They'd shared something more intimate than any sexual coupling could ever be.

He looked down at the mark on his arm, a mark that was echoed along Wen's spine. "Saves me getting a tatto," he quipped. It wasn't much of a joke but it was a start.
Quin - Torchwood 10
Quin
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Black Scar Ozzy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:15 am

Fred fired a few shots at the eyes like Quin suggested. He managed to crack the outer layer, and cause the queen some pain, but he hadn’t managed to destroy the eye. He watch as the rear end rose up, and the glinting black spinnerets were brought to bear. Fred readjusted his aim, and fired.

The queen seemed to almost scream as hot lead seared her spinnerets, and embedded themselves into her abdomen. Fred smiled tightly, as he changed the clip, to his pistol.
“That won’t work twice.” He muttered to himself, as he realised the baby spiders, were swarming around the wall and ceiling in response to the queens cry of pain.

He fired a shot at the closest one, and watched as it exploded into a brown lump of blood and flesh. At least the babies didn’t have such a thick hide.

Tag

Active

Forgotten
Black Scar Ozzy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Tavey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Derowen closed her eyes and allowed her body to react to the sensations rippling though her. The artifact caressed her nerves as it slid along them, winding itself into her mind.

She grimaced with the waves of pain that followed the first brief moment of peace.

It took a long time to complete. Or so she felt.

"Saves me getting a tattoo." Said Quin, an odd note in his voice. Wen looked back up to see the shape etched into his forearm. "Look. We match." She said turning her back to show off her spine. She shrugged into her shirt again quickly, buttoning it with fingers that only trembled slightly.

"Can you stand?" She asked Quin. Then did so herself.

"Right. Situation nasty. Bigger than usual pissed off spider, lots of babies. Lovely. Perfect day out for Torchwood. We almost need sandwiches and flasks of tea."

TAG - All

Reaching into the inside pocket of her jacket and removing a small round metallic ball, Wen took a step forward. "Move out people. We're going to lock her in. Damn Eight, never knew when to stop experimenting."

She nodded to Rubin with a murmur. "Statue boy, ready for a little more sticky time? What do you think? Two seconds to the left and three behind?" She began to laugh as she prodded some indentations on the sphere.

"Grace, you are going to love this. Takes an area and twists it slightly out of tune with the current time steam. That's what we think the instructions said anyway. Lost the sheet a couple of years ago." She pushed another indentation and gave an Eek in alarm.

"Er... moving really fast, right now would be good. I think I set off the timer. magic word? RUN!"

She turned and began to push the others ahead of her as the sphere she had dropped began to circle with lights moving faster and faster. She was only a little gentle with Nathan, who was moving a little slower than the others.

TAG - Everyone.

There was a flickering light behind them as they all neared the corner. As if it were an old film, spooled badly and with frames missing, the spiders began to move in a more disjointed manner. The colour of the walls paled slightly.

Wen stood and watched with an odd smile, then plucked a pice of chalk and drew a line on the walls either side of the tunnel. She wrote in an elegant hand : Do Not Cross, lest you wish a fate of nightmares.

Then turned back and indicated the way towards the centre of the maze that was Torchwood Eight.

"Off we go then. I'll talk to you all later. Right now, let's stop the Eye. One chance at this, so let's get it right."

TAG - everyone.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to TW10 Previous Episodes