Interlude

Torchwood Ten, an organization dedictated to defending England against the future. Because the 21st Century is when it all changed.

Moderator: [Sim] Torchwood Ten - Hosts

Foxy

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:08 am

Grace resumed the darts game, acquitting herself respectably, though she had a nasty suspicion that Quin had let her win – not something she approved of. Gentlemanly behaviour was all very well, but she preferred her victories earned.

She grabbed a few nibbles – enough to stave off hunger pangs but nowhere near a full meal's worth. No, she wanted the happy haze she was in to last, not to be robbed by a full stomach. As the others started drifting off, she went outside and hailed a taxi home. Now would be a good time to snooze, while she was still safe in the arms of alcohol. Once it wore off, the nightmares would be back and there would be no sleeping then...

Five o'clock in the morning this time. Better than usual – perhaps due to the activity of the day before. Nevertheless, she awoke bolt upright, eyes wide but at first unseeing, pulse racing, sheets drenched in sweat. The same damn dream, over and over again. It was a miracle she wasn't bonkers by now – a lesser person would have been. Instead, she dragged herself to the kitchen for a strong cup of coffee and then got ready for an early morning jog.

Business as usual.
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Quin

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:09 am

Quin's mood was good and he sang loudly and off key as he made his first cup of coffee of the day. Despite the late night he'd woken early. He showered and dressed quickly eager for the day to start. The quicker the day was done the sooner it would be evening and Quin had a date.

He'd met Lucy the night before in the Comedy. Quin had been feeling a little annoyed with himself. Grace had beaten him at darts and he knew that he could have played better. His attention had been distracted by a girl at the bar, a gorgeous blonde with a figure to drool over. He'd walked over after the others left to try and chat her up a little. On the way he'd bumped into someone coming in the opposite direction and before he could recover he was showered with the contents of a tray of drinks.

"Bloody Hell can't you look where you're going," he snarled. "The girl who'd spilled the drinks immediately burst into tears and Quin was lost. "Don't cry," he said. "It's just.... he looked at the girl straight into the most beautiful dark brown eyes he'd ever seen. Eyes that were filling with tears.

The blonde was leaving the bar but Quin didn't notice. The girl he was looking at was small, dark and pretty. She had a dusting of freckles across her nose and looked almost out of place in the Comedy.

"I'm sorry." They both said the words at the same time and Quin laughed. "I should have been looking where I was going," he admitted.

"I'm Quin, can I buy you a drink?" He asked.

She looked towards a table on the far side of the room where a small group of people were sitting. "I can't really," she said. "I'm with some people from work."

Quin was disappointed, she obviously wasn't interested.

"Tell you what," she continued. "Why don't you join us."

They looked harmless enough, no weevils or tentacled horrors among the group. Quin smiled. "I'd love to," he said. "I was here with some work colleagues too but they've all gone home. No stamina and it is a work day tomorrow."

Quin thoroughly enjoyed the evening, it was good to talk to people who had absolutely no idea that aliens existed or that people could be disintegrated by an invisible force.

He told them that he worked for a supermarket chain and apart from asking him if he got a staff discount no one was particularly interested. The evening ended with him getting Lucy's phone number and a date with her for the following evening. They would meet at the Comedy and then go for a meal.

He walked into the hub and greeted Torchwood with a very cheerful 'good morning'. He spotted Derowen and walked over to her. "I haven't seen Doran since yesterday," he said. "I wouldn't have the first idea about where to find him. I doubt if we move in the same social circle."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Black Scar Ozzy

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:09 am

Fred rolled over, and fell out of the small bunk thatTorchwood provided. A steady beeping noise had awoken him up, and now he wasface down on the floor. With a groan he pushed himself up and grabbed aroundfor his phone. A brief search later and Fred had shut it up, and read themessage.

With a large Yawn, Fred got to his feet, and quickly washedand shaved. About fifteen minutes later, Fred walked out of his room, wearingone of his many brown suits. He trotted down the stairway, and into thekitchen. Turning his nose up at the scent of the coffee, Fred brewed up a potof Earl Grey.

Walking out of the kitchen area with two steaming mugs ofEarl Grey, Fred made his way over to Derowen. Placing the tea next to her, he answeredher question that woke him up.

"I saw him in the wee hours of the morning." Fred saidtrying to stifle a yawn and not drop his tea.

"He'd just walked out off some sort of big party. He had afriend with him. Said his name was Carlo, but he was lying. I put it down tothe way they were really close to each other, and He didn't want me to know hislovers real name."

With that he sipped quietly at his tea, and sat down byDerowen, giving a brief nod to Quin.

"Don't ask me where that was though, because I'd taken awrong turn and got lost at that point." Fred added, before Derowen asked him.

Tag – Derowen, Quin

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:10 am

Walking out of the kitchen area with two steaming mugs ofEarl Grey, Fred made his way over to Derowen. Placing the tea next to her, he answeredher question that woke him up.

Derowen smiled at him for his thoughtfullness. "Thank you Fred. Good morning." She took a sip of the aromatic tea. "Nice."

"I saw him in the wee hours of the morning." Fred said trying to stifle a yawn and not drop his tea.

"He'd just walked out off some sort of big party. He had a friend with him. Said his name was Carlo, but he was lying. I put it down to the way they were really close to each other, and He didn't want me to know his lovers real name."
With that he sipped quietly at his tea, and sat down by Derowen, giving a brief nod to Quin.

"Don't ask me where that was though, because I'd taken awrong turn and got lost at that point." Fred added, before Derowen asked him.
Nodding at his words, her mind already going through the possibilities, Derowen turned to her console. With a few swift taps, a map of local London was displayed with several small green dots on it. "These are his favored spots for relaxation. Anything familiar?"
TAG Fred
"I'd hoped not to do this, but he either dumped his bluetooth and cell or they were removed from him. I want RF frequency .001-239 monitored. Though I don't like what Torchwood One did to him before, one thing they did get right was to stick a tracker in him. It's in the ELF range, might be a bit faint, depending on his location."
The tracking device had been inserted into an old scar during one of the many experiments he had been subjected to. About the size of a grain of rice, it would have been impossible to detect to touch or scans. It transmitted on a frequency too low for most receivers to pick up, unless calibrated to the most sensitive of Extreme Low Frequencies.
This was also the ultimate invasion of Doran's privacy. One that she had hoped never to use. But he had vanished with no means of contacting him and there was every chance that he had been abducted, given the events of the previous day.
TAG Fred / Quin

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Black Scar Ozzy

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:11 am

"These are his favored spots for relaxation. Anything familiar?"

Fred glanced at the map and pointed to two of the green dots.

"I was out this way of London." He said, "I'm afraid that's the best I can do." Fred said, as he sat back and finished off his tea.

Tag - Derowen, Quin
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Quin

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:12 am

"I'd hoped not to do this, but he either dumped his bluetooth and cell or they were removed from him. I want RF frequency .001-239 monitored. Though I don't like what Torchwood One did to him before, one thing they did get right was to stick a tracker in him. It's in the ELF range, might be a bit faint, depending on his location."
The tracking device had been inserted into an old scar during one of the many experiments he had been subjected to. About the size of a grain of rice, it would have been impossible to detect to touch or scans. It transmitted on a frequency too low for most receivers to pick up, unless calibrated to the most sensitive of Extreme Low Frequencies.

This was also the ultimate invasion of Doran's privacy. One that she had hoped never to use. But he had vanished with no means of contacting him and there was every chance that he had been abducted, given the events of the previous day.

"Wait a minute," Quin's tone was one of horrified disbelief. "He was chipped like a dog? So that you could find him even if he didn't want to be found. That's against all his human rights, that breaks so many laws..... Oh but of course Torchwood is above the law."

He shook his head his good mood had totally evaporated. "Even in stir I wasn't treated like that." He thought for a moment. "Have we all had that done to us? Were you ever going to tell us?"

Doran was an arrogant little toad but he didn't deserve to be treated like an animal.
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Foxy

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:12 am

Grace had only come in on the tail end of the debate, but she could guess what, or rather who it was about. It just served to underscore her opinion that the little tyke was more trouble than he was worth.

She found Quin's outburst ironic – why was it always the law-breakers who had the biggest beef with anyone else breaking the rules?

"Yes, you're so right," she frowned seriously. "It's terrible of us to do something that lets a child have such liberty in a way that still enables his legal guardians to check on his safety. It would have been much better to keep him permanently locked up…"

She raised an eyebrow at Quinn.

"When we find him, we can take out the device and tell him he's grounded. That'll work, right?" This was accompanied by the kind of beaming smile receptionists give when they've had to say the company's name for the thousandth time that day and would rather throttle the requester…

OOC – OK, I'm being intentionally mischievous here. I'm a liberal, Grace isn't and has had a bad night! Oh and she hasn't had a decent argument with Quin yet and we're seriously overdue... ;-)
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:13 am

Derowen listened for a moment to the conversation, then shook her head.

"In case you had forgotten, it's possible that someone tried to abduct Doran yesterday. So whether you like it or not monitor that frequency. Find the boy!"

She stood abruptly. "You may not know this Quin, But Doran was one of Torchwood One's little experiments. I didn't put the tracker in, but I also can't find it to take it out. He might be in trouble. It's useful, and I will always use things that are useful to their limit. I will be in the gym when you have something to tell me."

Stalking from the room, she brushed past other members of the team, scowling when they didn't get out of the way fast enough. The gym was probably the safest place to be, so that she could beat one of the dummies there.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Foxy

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:14 am

"In case you had forgotten, it's possible that someone tried to abduct Doran yesterday," declared Derowen. "So whether you like it or not monitor that frequency. I will be in the gym when you have something to tell me."

"Ma'am, yes ma'am!" Grace snapped to attention – years of habit kicking in in deference to Derowen's commanding tone. She hopped onto her chair, sending it gliding to the console and waggled her mouse to bring up the display. "Come out, come out, wherever you are..." she muttered.

TAG – anyone who wants to make any observations... ;-)

Ignoring the comments from the cheap seats, Grace tapped away, bringing up a map and then an overlay that began wide and zoomed in as she typed. A few minutes later, she exclaimed, "Blimey – he's gone further than I expected!"

A few of the others came closer to look over her shoulder.

"How the hell did he get a passport?" she glared at the nearest unlucky person. "Find Brock and get him to check the store. I want to know if the brat broke in and took it or if he's faked it..."

TAG – whoever's nearest

Another few minutes of typing and zooming and the display was tight enough to see the icon actually moving on the map as it tracked.

"Gotcha," Grace snarled. On a second screen, she entered the map co-ordinates and an address came up, complete with phone number. She scribbled it down on her notepad and ripped it off, waving it triumphantly. "Volunteer to take this to the gym, take one pace forward!"

TAG – Who's going to be the messenger...
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

MattW

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:16 am

"Ma'am, yes ma'am!" Grace snapped to attention – years of
> habit kicking in in deference to Derowen's commanding tone. She hopped
> onto her chair, sending it gliding to the console and waggled her mouse
> to bring up the display. "Come out, come out, wherever you
> are..." she muttered.
>
>
>
>
> TAG – anyone who wants to make any observations... ;-)
>
STOWELL
"ELF from something the size of a grain of rice? That's not human technology. Our ELF transmitters need aerials the size of... well they' cover several square kilometres. "

" ELF could have some unusual effects on the male adolescent brain. ELF frequencies have been linked with depression, sleep loss and mood swings. Something to do with melatonin and the pineal gland.... which changes at puberty."

"Hopefully it's not standard to implant that sort of thing into Torchwood operatives. I mean... How efficient would they be if they were all depressed, angst-ridden, had bad dreams and were over-combative?"

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Quin

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:17 am

"In case you had forgotten, it's possible that someone tried to abduct
Doran yesterday," declared Derowen. "So whether you like it or
not monitor that frequency. I will be in the gym when you have something
to tell me."

"That's told us," Quin said. He was inwardly fuming at Grace's comments to him. He supposed that Derowen had explained the reasoning behind the tagging of Doran, didn't mean he was happy about it.

"Ma'am, yes ma'am!" Grace snapped to attention – years of
habit kicking in in deference to Derowen's commanding tone. She hopped
onto her chair, sending it gliding to the console and waggled her mouse
to bring up the display. "Come out, come out, wherever you
are..." she muttered.

"Geez," Quin retorted. "I didn't sign up for the army in a weak moment did I?" He grinned. "What did that poor defenceless mouse ever do to you GI Jane?" OK wrong country but the connotation was far too good to miss.

STOWELL
"ELF from something the size of a grain of rice? That's not human
technology. Our ELF transmitters need aerials the size of... well they'
cover several square kilometres. "

" ELF could have some unusual effects on the male adolescent brain.
ELF frequencies have been linked with depression, sleep loss and mood
swings. Something to do with melatonin and the pineal gland.... which
changes at puberty."

"Hopefully it's not standard to implant that sort of thing into
Torchwood operatives. I mean... How efficient would they be if they
were all depressed, angst-ridden, had bad dreams and were
over-combative?"

"Extremely low frequency yeah, the lower the frequency the bigger the aerial." Quin said. "Clever little buggars those aliens."

Ignoring the comments from the cheap seats, Grace tapped away,
bringing up a map and then an overlay that began wide and zoomed in as she typed.

A few minutes later, she exclaimed, "Blimey – he's gone further
than I expected!"

SNIP

"Gotcha," Grace snarled. On a second screen, she entered the map
co-ordinates and an address came up, complete with phone number. She
scribbled it down on her notepad and ripped it off, waving it
triumphantly. "Volunteer to take this to the gym, take one pace
forward!"

Quin automatically took one pace back. He wasn't in the mood to play errand boy. He supposed that as Grace was second in command she could order him to take the message. Next thing he supposed was that they would go after Doran and haul him back to Torchwood whether he wanted to return or not.

Not for the first time Quin wondered just what he'd got himself into. Again not for the first time he reminded himself that it was better than the alternative.
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Rich

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:18 am

Re: Doran's Journey - Eric

Another few minutes of typing and zooming and the display was tight enough to see the icon actually moving on the map as it tracked.

"Gotcha," Grace snarled. On a second screen, she entered the map co-ordinates and an address came up, complete with phone number. She scribbled it down on her notepad and ripped it off, waving it triumphantly. "Volunteer to take this to the gym, take one pace forward!"

TAG – Who's going to be the messenger...

Eric looked at the group in front of him as he came into the Hub. He had been sorting out his house details as he heard Quin and Grace arguing. "Buncha f**kin' kids." He then snatched the note from Grace and looked at them. "While you decide to finish this pissin' contest, I'll deliver this to the lady in charge."

He started walking towards the gym area very slowly. He had never seen Derowen in a bad mood, and from how the folks looked, he didn't want to. Yet, he wasn't too keen on the arguing back and forth. He was a basic get it done person. "Alright, les see how bad this will..."

As he came around to the gym area, he saw a punching bag on its side with a seam completely burst. Of course, he saw Derowen near the bag sitting and meditating. "I'm not going to ask what happened. Figure I don't wanna know." As she was sitting there, he looked at the note in his hand. "Grace wanted this delivered to you, ma'am. I think it's about the kid. Of course, her and the blondie are up there arguin' about the morality thing."

TAG - Derowen
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:20 am

Once in the gym, Derowen leant against a wall for a moment. Face murderous, she looked for something to take out the anger on. it simply wasn’t safe for her not to relieve that tension.

Although it would be impossible to explain that this fury came from what had happened to Doran, there was also an aspect of being incensed by his choice to run away. When would he learn? When he was back in the hands of some bastard who was thinking in terms of exploiting Doran’s mathematical genius?

Deciding on the punching bag as an appropriate outlet, she moved into a series of moves designed to warm up her muscles. Before long the exercise flowed, one series into the next. The punching bag swung crazily on it’s hook.

When the door opened to the gym, she was sitting in the middle of the main mat area, meditating. The punching bag lay on it’s side stuffing spilling from a burst seam. Derowen looked peaceful.

“Yes?”

"I'm not going to ask what happened. Figure I don't wanna know." As she was sitting there, Eric looked at the note in his hand. "Grace wanted this delivered to you, ma'am.

She took the note and scanned the contents. Her face went completely flat and still.

“Thank you. Please tell them that Doran was a special case. No-one else has a tracking device implanted. I will let them know what is happening once I have spoken to him.”

She looked at him for a moment, then raised her eyebrows and nodded towards the door.

About ten minutes later, Derowen came into the main area. She cleared her throat loudly. “Listen up. Doran has chosen to leave Torchwood. He is pursuing other interests. I suggest that no-one try to contact him. He is adamant that he is not interested in having geriatric f***tards talking to him.” She smiled grimly. “Now, listen well. I do not approve that he was tracked. I do not like it, and I have not utilized that option with any of you. Understand?”

She picked up the tea again once she reached the office. “Anything come in yet?” she asked no-one in particular.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Previous

Return to TW10 Previous Episodes