Phoenix From The Ashes

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Phoenix From The Ashes

Postby Kris » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:24 am

Lu collapsed into the bed she was staying in and stared at the ceiling. Nothing was going quite right. They had to stay there, but at the same time, she wanted to get out of there and find what had happened to her family. She knew that Joshua had caught onto something bothering her, but hadn't said anything.

Was it fair of her to try to put her own family ahead of the safety of the others? If they were to leave now with Kynthia the way that she was when they saw her earlier, it might end in disaster. But at the same time, if they didn't leave, the crew would start to want to leave more and more.

Throwing a pillow against the wall, she growled at herself for thinking that she wanted to leave by herself and go after her family. Propping herself up, she headed off to try to clear her head, only to catch Kynthia out of the corner of her eye.

"Kynth, how you doing?"

Tags
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:16 pm

He obediently responded. "Distracted." Yes that was the right word. "By Kynthia and Averroes." He sighed and sat on the edge of the exam table. He pulled his hair back from his face. "Not really sure what to do with him. I'm going to make him learn how to shoot…. Gonna give him the pistol in exchange. Lu knows but I am not sure it is a good idea." He paused for a moment to collected his thoughts and looked at the floor. "Worried about her. What she said caught me for some reason." He looked up at Teagan for a long moment. "Worry about you too." He half smiled at her.

tags teagan
SLA Personnel Chair

Commander Rory Shannon - XO USS Pegasus, Into the Breach - Retired
popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jake Sjet » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Lu was attempted to tame a lioness without a chair.
Tegan was trying to work through the issue.
And Addy, the dear sweet boy, was plotting murder.

As accomplices went they were not the pick of the crop, nor were they the bottom of the barrel. A pilot, a medic, and if not a shooter than at least a bullet magnet. The touch about wanting him dead, or at least threatening him, that had brought a warm sensation to Averroes heart. To be sure it was not pride, nor some sort of ill mannered affection: let us be frank and assume he is not capable of these emotional states, the same way a scorpion cannot dance for joy. No the feeling bubbling up within Averroes chest was jealousy of all things, the sharper edge of competition that drove him forward. That was how he had been trained, all those years ago: do better than your class mates.

Of course what happened to those class mates who did not make the cut were as varied as they were gruesome: small children should not witness what starved wolves can do, nor the hypnotic effects of fire let loose in zero gee. Small children do not remain in that state for long in the care of sadists and masochists, whose skills are used to shape young minds into weapons. But then so few schools specialized in the sort of educations that provide someone with the skills and mind set Averroes held: so few schools were capable of making Philosophers.

Plato with his love of fire.
Little Rand and those knives of her's.
And Aristotle: the serious one, the planner, the thinker. The betrayer.
So many brothers and sisters who had died in the I-War, and who still lived lives amid the sheep.

Perhaps it had desensitized him somewhat to the pains he inflicted on others? Or perhaps it had just given a licenses to that little voice all humans carry within them, that voice that whispers in seductive serpentine hisses when ever danger lurks: protect yourself, and damn the consequences. After all, not all aliens have to look like they do in the media: sometimes the most inhuman minds look shockingly homely.

He had wandered the Abbey, keeping to the shadows as was his want, avoiding the nuns and sisters of the order as much as they did him. It was not because he felt in contrary to their beliefs, nor some supernatural sensation of burning so close to things so pure. It was simply good practice to stay hidden, stay safe, and complete the mission. But of course now he was the one coming up with the missions: no more diplomats to slaughter, nor ambassadors to vanish. He had seen how his skills had been used during and before the I-War: how the ripples of a few murders and assassinations had blossomed into glorious planet consuming violence.

And so, as he sat on a pew in a small chapel, the 'Good Book' open on his lap, he smiled faintly at the memory of feeling those ripples spreading out to touch every life in the star system. It would be so nice, so...fulfilling, to feel those ripples once more.

TAG-No, just felt the need to write

Averroes
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Tavey » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:57 pm

Kynthia glanced over at Lu and shrugged. "About as good as you'd expect. I ache. Ain't worked out proper like for a couple years or so."

She pointed at one of the doors. "If this place is built the way I think it is, we'll find some good food in through here, down a flight of stairs and about three doors down from that."

She shrugged, at least having the good graces to pretend to be embarrassed for a moment. "if it's built like the place I grew up. We should talk Lu."

TAG Lu

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby teagan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:09 pm

"You're teaching Averroes how to shoot? Why would you do such a gorram foolish thing like that?" Teagan blurted, before remembering just how vulnerable Addy could be sometimes. She shrugged, trying to mitigate any damage she may have done by her outburst.

"I didn't mean that to sound the way it did." Teagan sat down, running her fingers through her hair. Harried was a good way to think of it. Teagan looked harried, distracted, not particularly straight in her own emotions. She'd changed since coming on board into a large stripy top over a pair of tighter pants. Something loose and comfortable. And not smelling of incense. She didn't want incense smoke around her.

"You're worried about Ky? I wouldn't kill yourself over it, but what did she say that struck you so hard? Was it the whole 'oh yes, going to turn myself back into the person I was, the implied insult that it's everyone else's fault that she ain't happy, or the bit where she shot some nun she only met two days ago?"

TAG Addy

Teagan deflated as soon as she finished talking. She wiped her eyes, and blinked several times. "Lost contact with her after the War you know. I used to patch her up when needed. When I saw her, and she remembered me? 'Twas like a miracle all again in shining stars. But now I wonder if'n I'm at fault."
Teagan O'Rourke The Monarch.

Lt. JG Teagan Ceja. Assistant Intelligence Officer. The Ark Royal. ( retired )
teagan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby popcornman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 pm

"No," Addy shook his head quickly. "I am going to make Averroes teach me to shoot, not the other way around. There is not a weapon in the verse that man doesn't know seemingly."

He stiffened or a moment addressing Teagan's next question. "No, it was none of that. She said, 'You are my everything too.'" Addy paused for a moment deciding if he should just open up. "I am not sure it was said to me or just everyone or what but I keep replaying the whole thing in my mind. Can't focus. If it was intended in response to what I said to Averroes, then it…" Addy faltered having to take a breath, "Would be the first words of that.. "He faltered again searching for the right word. This was not like him, confused and un able to complete his thoughts. He shook his head again, his hair falling back in his face. "I just haven't been close to anyone in years. " He paused trying to recall a more accurate time. "I've been alone since my parents were killed really, and I have been jumping from ship to ship at every stop till the Monarch."

Addy watched the woman deflate and have to stop for a second. He listened to Teagan silently nodding slightly. "Its not your fault. Something was said to her that made her change. Lu said that there was a bible quote said to Ky on that alliance ship. I could tell how much she cares for you from the moment I stepped on this ship." Addy smiled at her again. "We all care about you and to ease your mind a little, our goal with having Averroes teach me shoot is to keep him away from Ky and you."

Tags Teagan

Addy stood. "I had better go find him before he gets into trouble. Will you be okay?"

tags Teagan
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Kris » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:33 pm

Lu could only raise an eyebrow slightly at Kynthia. She seemed maybe a little more like herself, but there was still those bits that she worried about. "Down the stairs, three doors down. Sounds like the best place to start I suppose."

She started to walk along with Kynthia and sighed, "You are right, we do need to talk. About more things than you may think. I...I talked with Joshua. We're all a bit worried about you. And something I said caught him off guard a bit."

She didn't dare say anything else, nor repeat what she stated to him, but mainly tried to see what reaction she was going to get out of her friend.

Tag: Kynthia
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Addy hurried up to his room. He paused for a moment to decide how to approach Averroes with the new proposition. Yes it was true that the pistol had value to him but he could acquire another easy enough. He really needed to know how to shoot something further away than three feet. Addy changed choosing to leave the cloak behind. He slipped the holster into its place on his back over the red button down shirt. Something felt out of place without the pistol strapped in its place. He glanced down at the bare brown pants and just shook his head. He'd get another.

Addy grabbed the rest of the things he needed made his way back to go find Averroes. The sisters glared at him as he walked by his head up searching for the man he trusted little. In the dining hall, there was no sign of Averroes. He felt every eye in to the room on him. He quickly turned and felt imagining himself and almost laughed. He would had looked completely different: No cloak, a rifle on his back and he had a largish bag in one hand.

He finally found the man in a chapel of all places. More surprises was the Bible on his lap. "I have a proposition for you? I want you to teach me how to shoot and in return you can keep the pistol?"

Tag Averroes
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jake Sjet » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:47 pm

"Simple lesson."

He didn't look up from the bible in his lap, as he lazily turned a page with his free hand. And yet with a eerie accuracy he was able to bring the purloined pistol out of his coat and aim it squarely between Addy's eyes. His thumb pulled the hammer back, as he deftly licked his other thumb and forefinger to aid in turning a page.

"You point and click, its a very modern arrangement. Not as modern as a battle cruisers main particle beam weapon, but totting this fellow around is a little more circumspect than dragging a particle cyclotron about." he said, running his free fingers over the ink before replacing the pistol back into his coat "And seeing as I have the pistol currently on my person, I fell safe in the knowledge that should you intend to seek its return your advances would be strenuously resisted."

He closed the book with a sudden snap of paged parchment crunching together, the sound oddly necessary for an environment like this. He then slowly turned his head, to regarded the other man coolly.

"Huum, the only way I know how to fire a gun is the way I was taught. A school that enjoyed using the 'pass/fail' system of grading, which I've always found to be most suitable for the attainment of certain skills." he closed his eyes as though coming to a grand conclusion "The boy I cannot teach, for he is gone. The man before is stern stuff made, yet lacks of the malleability of youth to learn the harsher lessons. In short I will not play the role of teacher, but will instead offer my services as a confessor. Sit and ask and tell all that which you would have hidden whilst I attempted to pass on lessons of a mortal nature."

He patted the bench seat beside him: "Fear not. I don't bite."

If only he had not said that with a grin on his face.

TAG-Addy

Averroes
Possibly related to a Doctor Hector? Lecturer? This burgundy like ink is hard to read. t'is like a lamb did silently write it!

Jake Sjet

Postby Tavey » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:41 am

"What do you mean, something you said took him off guard?" Kynthia asked. She stopped walking and waited patiently for the answer. She could do that now, since she was feeling more alive than she had done for a long, long time.

"And while I appreciate your concern, the fact remains that I do not intend to return to the half life I have been enduring to keep everyone happy. That ship is stifling when the condemnation of the crew and passengers is weighted against you."

TAG - Lu

Kynthia bit her lip. She hadn't wanted to pull that particular shade up just yet. Two of the sisters walked by, inclining their heads to her, and more or less ignoring Lucille. Here Kynthia had status.

"Oh come on. We can talk over coffee. If we are lucky, there will be real food too."

TAG Lu

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:02 pm

"Just...something I remembered and said. It was just a saying."

Did she dare repeat the saying that Joshua caught onto? Would it make a difference now that Kynthia was already in the state that she was?

"Coffee? I do hope they have real coffee."

It did make a bit of sense that she was taking the weight of the crew, and she understood. She'd been on board for so long (with a small break where she wasn't there) that she sort of took it for granted. Had they really been putting that much pressure on her that it caused her to rather have her old life over the life they'd had on board the Monarch for so long?

"So err," Lu wasn't even sure what all to say. "Is there something specific you want to talk about?"

Tag Kynthia
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:57 pm

The grin made Addy's insides scream THIS IS WRONG! RUN! It probably was giving this man a loaded weapon was almost as dangerous as the katana. Well in his hands probably just as deadly. Addy leaned against a pew in front of Averroes so he could see the man clearly and wouldn't be trapped in case the man's desire for blood got the better of him. Addy truly wanted sure if the man would bite him.

"What do you want to know." Addy whispered finally. "Do you want me to ask how you can just kill without remorse? Or Do you want me to tell you how I did the exactly the same thing you just did with that pistol only to my brother and I did not lower it?" Addy's voice started to strain. This was not the place to confess his sins or talk about death. "I pulled the trigger again and again until the 13 round clip was empty. Do you want me to tell you that his ghost still haunts my thoughts? Is that going to make you happy?" Addy had to pause for a moment to choke the tears back down. "Is that what you want to hear? I would fail your class. I have a heart and a conscience." Addy stopped realizing what was coming out of his mouth. Maybe he didn't have a conscience, he killed his own brother. He turned a way from the hand he completely feared, dropping the bag he still clung to. The sound of the contents of the two smaller bags inside tinkled a little as the two different sized rounds settled in their respective bags. The rifle still in its holster swung off his back and into his lap as he sat in the pew three rows up from Averroes. "Why do you make things so hard?" Addy wasn't sure if the man was answering any of his questions. Were they even questions? or did Averroes just push the right buttons? Did he even push the buttons or did Addy just give up and push if own buttons?

"He killed my parents." The blood ran out of his face as his thoughts spiraled out of control. What if Averroes killed his parents? It was true that his brother ratted out his parents to the Alliance but someone else actually killed them. Addy sagged in the pew for a moment allowing to the moment to pass, saying a small prayer. It couldn't hurt right? In a place of God? Asking him for forgiveness for what he has done?

Addy shook his head clearing it. He reached down pulling one of the small bags from the larger one. "Here." Addy slide the bag back to Averroes feet. "500 rounds. There's a range. The reverend said we could use it. You are right you can't mold a man. I will do anything to protect my crew from the same fate of my parents. Does that make me a cold hearted killer, no. But if I can improve my odds with this, I will."

tag Averroes

Down the Rabbit hole did Addy run
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jake Sjet » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:48 pm

"What you want from me, dear Addy, is absolution. You want me to tell you that the act of murder on your brother dear sickens a soul as dark as mine, and that the fact your parents blood might have been on his hands should make the matter clearer. You want me to say that what you did was right, that it was just. And that is something I will not do."

He snorted a chuckled, using his foot to prod the bag of ammo.

"In many ways you remind me of a dear friend from long ago: Pugsy was his name, a short rotund fellow with a smile on his lips. When my class was assembled he was the one who made us smile in our confinement, and sought to bring us some small amount of joy in bleak times. A march on frozen tundra is hard on a child's frame, but it is made easier with a friend like Pugsy." Averroes sighed wistfully "Of course it was that balm of kindness that singled him out for death, I imagine. Our teachers came into our barracks on evening and gave all of us bar Pugsy a length of chain. 'Kill him', they instructed ten small children exhausted from the hike. We all said no of course, as children are want to do."

He reached into the bag, fumbling for a moment before tossing out five brass encased bullets, the sound of their arc and fall like angels tears in this holy place.

"It was only when the instructors had slain five of our number that we turned on Pugsy, that each of the survivors did lash our dear friend until life did bled from small shattered bones." Averroes then met the eyes of Addy, allowing their dull almost lifeless sheen of metal gray to gouge into him "What use has a child for empathy in such a place, when survival is all to the key to ones longevity? Now come, let us waste this fine ammo so that you might unleash some tension whilst I play with my food."

He picked up the bag, threw a cocky salute to figure upon the cross, and almost seemed to skip from the chapel.

TAG-Addy

Averroes
So...he didn't go to Hogwarts eh?

Jake Sjet

Postby popcornman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:36 pm

The story chilled Addy to the bone. This man was killing from a young age. He had no chance. Averroes could kick him up and down the cargo bay in a fair and probably an unfair fight. Maybe he was just a spoiled child with no sense of the real world. Surely, Ky didn't keep him around unless he had some worth.

Addy followed the man out of the church still considering the all to cryptic and yet not so cryptic speech. Was it childish to care?… No, it did not make him any less of the man in front of him because he had a conscience. In some respects it might make him more a of a man and less of an animal.

He slowed his pace just for a moment as they walked through the hallways. He could just lift and pull. He was sure the much larger round would have more kick, but from a range to two feet, it was point blank. The rifle was loaded and ready. It wouldn't be worth the bullet and he really didn't want the almighty Averroes in his head forever. Free to spread his happy little torment forever.

"I don't want absolution from you." Addy finally said under his breath deciding to stop thinking about the story. "Empathy, its not empathy. Why would I empathize with my two-faced brother?" Addy asked. "Why would I empathize with someone who sold out his family to get ahead in his own life? I would never sell out those I care about. I may be struggle with the implications killing him will have on me and the rest of the crew by association. Most people, even you, would love." Addy paused for a moment to recall the latest warrant, "50,000,000 credits a pitiful 10th of the value of the assets they took." Addy paused shaking his head. "I struggle with the fear of being truly alone again. How would you know anything about that?" Addy tossed the bag he carried on a table, after entering what must be the range. "You feel nothing."

Tag Averroes
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Tavey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:24 am

"So err," Lu wasn't even sure what all to say. "Is there something specific you want to talk about?"

Kynthia stopped walking for a moment, just a tiny pause. Long enough to glance at the ceiling and blink.

"Ain't it more like you have something you wish for me to be knowing?" She said, and continued to walk. "Seems like you're bottlin' things in. Ain't I shown you how healthy that isn't?"

She pushed on the heavy wooden door, watching as it swung open to reveal a bustling kitchen, right where she thought it should be. Oh yes, this place had been built by her order after all. That meant she knew where to find some of the other goodies tucked away inside it's walls.

The women inside barely stopped to look and see who was walking into their domain. One raised her hand in greeting.

"Reverend. How may we aid you and your good friend?" She asked, nodding to someone to take over stirring the large pot she had been tending. She was young, good looking. The sort of fresh faced young that Kynthia vaguely rememebered being many years before. She wiped her hands on her apron as she approached them, weaving through the others.

"We have some dried fruit, and some compot." The nun waved towards a table nestled into an alcove. "Be welcome."

"My thanks for the welcome and may it return upon you," responded Kynthia automatically. The chairs were comfortable enough, and she wanted to sit and rest a while.

"So, Lu.. what is it that has you all in a bother?" She asked her friend, once they had been served.

TAG - Lu

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:44 am

Lu knew this was coming. Even in her normal state, Kynthia was good at spotting when things were wrong. Slipping into the seat, which was a bit more comfortable than the ones she was used too, she let out a heavy sigh, trying to hide the hurt behind her eyes.

"I ain't gonna get away with not tellin' you am I?"

She knew the answer before looking up at Kynthia and shook her head.

"My family, away from the ship family that is, I can't get hold of 'em. Gavyn has a personal line that he keeps hidden from everyone else in case of emergency, not even on that. I don't know where my son is at, or where Gavyn is at. It...it's scaring me. You saw those images before, I'm afraid something has happened to them."

The tears were trying to come out, and she was trying her best to keep tough. She'd been allowing herself to cry in private when no one was watching.

"Should've said something earlier, I know. In all honesty, the crew been dealing with some other stuff. I'm not gonna make the crew deal with this, it's my problem, not theirs."

Tag: Kynthia
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Jake Sjet » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:09 pm

"You say that like its a bad thing." crowed Averroes as he sauntered in behind Addy, eying the gunnery range with a sniff of distaste. He began to work the pistol he had, well borrowed was the polite term and generally accurate in most cases, and began to fill its clip.

"I might feel nothing, this is true, but then again I am not conflicted and torn apart by my deeds. I know that what I am, and what I am knows me: there is no room for such sentiment as guilty and sympathy within me." he said plainly, slipping the clip back into the pistol and admiring it once more "Were as for you, so long since the deed was done, there is still that conflict raging within you. You seek to move on from what you did, to find some new meaning to your life: and yet you try desperately to remain in that moment where you stood before your brother with gun drawn and showed him who was the bigger dog."

With careless ease he flipped the gun first from his left hand, and then to his right, as though trying to remember how he was meant to fire the thing.

"Still, things could be worse: imagine had your brother lived!" he chortled "That would make for awkward Thanksgiving days when you ask him to pass over the yams."

tag-Addy

Averroes
Again...this guy ain't Dr Phil

Jake Sjet

Postby Tavey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:31 pm

"You're right." Kynthia stared at Lucille. She shrugged slightly. "It's not our problem."

She waited a beat, considering her words carefully.

"Don't mean we won't deal with it. Get me the details, such as where we need to get to. Once we finish the business over other side of Leviathan, we'll be on our way to go figure this out."

Kynthia leaned forward slightly. "But the business has to come first Lu. We've missed too much out of the kindness of our hearts already, an' we can't afford to mess this one up. Besides, it'll get us in to Belladonna again, and that's what we're going to want."

TAG - Lu.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby popcornman » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:37 pm

Addy couldn't imagine another meal with his brother let alone thanksgiving. Addy studied the range for a moment. Tracks ran along the ceiling from tables to the other end of the long room and paper targets clipped neatly in front of each table. There were also a rather large stack of paper targets on a table in the corner. He pushed a button on a table toward the middle of the room and the paper target flew off down the range stopping about 5 meters. He pushed it again and the paper slide to 10 meters.

"So that is how it works," Addy whispered to himself, never actually seeing a range before. He carefully raise the rifle to his right shoulder, placing his hands in about the proper place. He based the placement on watching others. He lined up the sights and fired.

The rifle kicked back in his hands more than he expected and it bucked in his hands. A slit second later, 100 meters away, a little dusk flew of the back of the room as the bullet struck.

Tags Averroes

He wasn't suppose to hit the target was he?
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Kris » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 am

Lucille raised an eyebrow at the way Kynthia was speaking, but knew that what she was saying was right.

"Business first. I wasn't going to question that. The business on the other side of Leviathan is more important than anything I've got going on."

When Belladonna was mentioned, she flinched slightly, remembering what she'd been told to do so long ago by that woman, "Belladonna...I won't ask why we're going to want to get us in to her again. But she's also the one who said my family would be safe."

She stared at the table for a bit, then looked up at Kynthia.

"We need to get the job done, get done with Leviathan's other side. Sooner rather than later."

Tag - Kynthia
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:26 pm

Addy's aim slowly improved until he was at least hitting his target. He heard shots coming from next to him and figured that Averroes as shooting too. He was definitely an interesting character, detestable yes, but very interesting.

As the shooting wore on in silence, Addy felt like he could at least hit a target if he needed too. "Wonder if we aught to go find everyone else?"

Tags Averroes

Addy slid the rifle back into its sheath on his back and followed the man out of the range. "Do you think there is any real food?"

Tag Averroes

(Sorry its short trying to move the plot)
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Tavey » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:45 am

"You answered your own question Lu. Belladonna's the one who said your family was going to be safe. They aren't. So we need to go find her and take care of that." Kynthia stood up abruptly, pushing aside the dishes in front of her.

"So far I ain't heard a damn thing that makes me want to leave this place Lucille. Not one thing. I need to talk to Chuy Lo. Find the boys and tell 'em we're leaving tomorrow. Find the medic as well. See if she wants to leave or not."

Kynthia bowed slightly and left the room. Her uniform felt right, and she moved differently now she was wearing it. A sort of confidence that she didn't usually have, gave her a sway to her hips as she walked. Her surcoat swung around her legs. Kynthia felt good. She felt right, well.. nearly right.

The door to Joshua Long's office was closed. She paused for a moment outside it, rapped twice on it and opened the door. She stepped in and to one side smoothly, closing it softly behind her as she did. Joshua didn't look up from the paperwork in front of him.

"Normally I get time to reply when someone knocks." He said mildly, keeping his thoughts hidden. "But since it's you, I suppose we're best gettin' this sorted."

He indicated the chair opposite his with the end of the stylus he was using. "Be a moment Eden. Then we'll get to it."

Kynthia, no.. here and now she was Eden, sat where she was told. To pass the time, she found herself slipping into an old mediation technique. When she finished the first of the mantra's she opened her eyes to find Joshua watching her, his head tilted to one side slightly, and a quizzical look on his face.

"Bright waters," she said by way of explanation.

"Ah, I see. Many of the old patterns have awoken then."

"So it seems. Josh, I haven't found my balance yet with this. What do I do?" She sounded plaintive, the cry of a young girl trying to figure out where she stood in the world. For a moment, Joshua was caught in the memory of a similar cry at the end of a brutal training day.

"You find your way back out Eden. Though I suppose as long as I call you that, you can't. You will always be Eden to me." The big man sounded deeply sad. "I'd hoped that you and I would retire one day and be at peace finally."

Ky looked at her hands. Strong, workers hands they were, calluses where she had mended that damn engine over and over again, from pulling cables through crawl spaces deep in the ship. And one callus in particular from where her rifle gave a kick each time she used it.

"Folk such as you and I are never able to be at peace Josh. It isn't our path to take. Maybe more for you than me. I need you with me." There, she'd said it. Laid it out where he could see it.

"No." Joshua didn't even bother to look away, or pretend to be upset about his refusal. "This is my home, I'll not be pulled back into your chaos. It's too much Eden. Too intense. My bones are older than yours, and they've got teeth marks on them. This is my home now. Yours is out there, in the stars. Trying to make a balance where you can. Not here, on this dust bowl of a world. But there, where you're needed."

"Needed? Me?" The scorn she felt was as scorching as the sun outside. "Don't make me laugh."

Joshua Long gathered his courage up and made it into a shield. "Yes, you. You have to leave here and go do what you do best. And.. "

"Don't say it. Don't say never come back. Because I won't be able to keep to that." Kynthia stood up and shook her finger at him "I won't!"

She slammed out of the office, leaving behind her a man who would give up everything just to be able to ask her to stay, but who needed her gone just as badly.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:51 pm

There was no way she was going to stop Kynthia walking away, and she knew it. Lu remained sitting at the table as she watched Kynthia walking away from her. She felt no reason to leave and go back to the ship, no reason to stay with the crew. She thought she needed to stay here, that she was needed here. What the hell was going to turn her around?

She took one last drink of whatever it was that had been placed in front of her, pushed her hair back out of her face (realizing she really needed to get it cut again) and headed off to find where everyone had wandered off too. This place was big enough it might take her some time.

Teagan was probably going to be the easiest to find, as Addy and Averroes were probably fighting each other in some way or arguing about something. They'd have to be found, but having a feeling where Teagan would be, it was there she would head first.

It took a bit, but Lu found her way to the medical area and saw both the woman she was looking for as well as Ameri. She wasn't sure what they were doing, as she didn't understand anything medical really besides the very basics, but she walked in anyway and stood near the door.

"Teagan, Kynthia wants to head out tomorrow. Wants to know whether you want to stay here or head out with us again."

The crew itself was small enough as it was. Even though Teagan was usually quiet, she filled a void on the ship that needed to be filled.

Normally, she would have sent a message off to Addy and Averroes and told them to meet her somewhere. But the walking was going to do her good and give her time to think after she heard what Teagan's answer was.

Tag - Teagan
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

Kynthia's next stop was the communication centre. She sat down in one of the private cubicles, and tapped in a code she hadn't used in over ten years. The screen in front of her was filled with lines of static for a moment, then cleared. The man sitting on the other side of the 'Verse stared at her for a long, long moment.

"Reverend." He began, then coughed, before starting again. "Reverend Talland. We.. thought you were dead."

"How interesting, considering one of the order insisted that I be reactivated six months ago. Do you not talk to each other?" Kynthia sounded scornful, dismissive. "You'd think that the almighty St Michaels would actually talk to each other. Or have I been reactivated on a whim of some lesser person?"

The officer looked startled. he began to look at another screen, tapping it frantically. His eyes widened at the information that he saw there. "Uh.. yes. So I see. It seems that it was an unauthorized activation, however.. it has been verified since that time. What do you need?"

Kynthia outlined her needs very quickly. They were simple enough. Proper provisions for her ship. A location on Belladonna. And proper ammo for her rifle. She wanted her special ammo again. It made the rifle the perfect weight, and she wanted that kick for this one job.

The conversation was over quickly enough. Kynthia kicked back her chair and leaned against the wall. Things were about to get interesting.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Previous

Return to Firefly: Monarch