Phoenix From The Ashes

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Phoenix From The Ashes

Postby Tavey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:46 am

Kynthia was nowhere to be found the following day. She was not on the ship, nor in the quarters that had been set aside for them at the convent. She did not show up for breakfast. Reverand Long deflected any questions about her whereabouts with a gentle “I am sure she will show up soon enough.” When he was pressed more strongly, he reminded everyone that it was not as though Kynthia could actually go anywhere without being burned to a crisp by the sun.

Leviathan was not aptly named, after all.

================================================================

Kynthia, for her part, was in one of the lower hallways, reading in a cell that reminded her of the one she had spent so much time in during training. She’d made an official request to the cellarer, and was waiting to see what they could find in her size. About three hours passed while she read and enjoyed the actual silence down here before a timid knock at the door let her know she had a visitor.

Teagan waited for her impatiently outside the door, holding a set of folded clothes in her arms. As soon as Ky opened the door, she marched in and flung them onto the bed.

“This is insanity.” she snarled, before whipping around to point a finger at Kynthia. The finger jabbed the air with tight, angry motions. “You. Cannot. Put. This. Back. On.”

“I can, and I aim to.” Kynthia replied, already pulling off the shirt she usually wore. Teagan tried very hard not to wince at the scarring that became visible. She knew the stories of most of them, but that didn’t make it any easier to see.

“That was ten years ago now Ky! Ten! Ain’t you done enough?”

“Evidently not.” Kynthia read the label on the inside of the collar and shook her head in amusement. “Don’t think this will fit me anymore.” she noted, turning it towards Teagan to show her own name written there.

“You’re right. It’s going to be too big.” muttered Teagan, who had retreated to the bed. “You lost a lot of muscle tone over the last few years. And far too much weight now I see you without that shirt on.”

It did not take long before Kynthia was dressed in her old uniform. She tugged a couple of straps into place and realized that she felt good dressed like this. It was a little big here and there (and a little tight in a couple other places). But overall, it was perfect. She felt comfortable, and that was important.

The trousers and long sleeved top fit snugly. Both designed with a layer of protection sewn into the fabric itself, the green material was dark enough that it didn’t glare under lights. Over the top, Ky wore an odd vest with a myriad of small pockets, with several small straps to hold it in place. Though she’d done up the straps as tightly as possible, it was still loose in a couple of spots. Over all of this she wore a long hooded surcoat in a dark brown. The surcoat was reversible, and the inner lining was in black. It had been determined during the war that this allowed greater flexibility.

Teagan’s breath caught. “Oh Eden...’ she whispered. “It’s not too late to take it off.”

Kynthia strapped her guns in place, and held up the final pieces of her uniform. She had never liked the tight fitting cap, and had disregarded it on more than one occasion.

“Well, time to go show off my new clothes,” she said.

Kynthia walked quickly up the stairs and along the hallways, heading for the main dining room. She was suddenly hungry, as she hadn’t been for days.

TAG - all.

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Phoenix From The Ashes

Postby teagan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:49 am

Teagan was furious. She quickly contacted the other members of the crew and let them know to get to the dining hall as fast as possible if they weren't there already.

"Lu," she hissed into a small communicator. "Kynthia changed. She looks like.. well, she looks like Execution again."

TAG - Lu.
Teagan O'Rourke The Monarch.

Lt. JG Teagan Ceja. Assistant Intelligence Officer. The Ark Royal. ( retired )
teagan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby Jake Sjet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:06 pm

What came out of the little communicator in Tegan's hands was a weird combination of a cats pur and a maniacs chortle. It was the sort of sound that promised to carry one over the edge like the raging eddies above the waterfall, giggling all the way down to the jagged rocks below.

Averroes, it would seem, approved heartily of their Fair Captains mid career course change.

"About bloody time." came his voice, buzzing out of the little communicator "I thought she'd bust a blood vessel trying to keep her wicked sister in check a second longer. I was looking forward to the minor disaster that would have given birth to. Still, the day is young. I'll be in the dining hall in a moment, I have some...issues to tie up."

The line form his comm went dead, but not before a ever so feminine titter arose from it before the connection was cut.

TAG-Tegan, Lu and others.

Averroes
Making Friends.
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Kris » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:19 pm

Lu listened to Teagan on the communicator and sighed. As much as she wished this wouldn't happen, she knew that it was coming. "Copy that, Teagan. Thanks for the warning, we'll meet you in the dining hall. I'll talk to her but if her mind is made up, I doubt she'll listen."

Shutting off the communicator, she looked at the group. "Dining hall, now." She was very straight forward, which wasn't like her at all. But with everything on her mind at that moment, not to mention the issues with Kynthia, she was uptight.

A glare went to Averroes as she heard what he said, "Zip it," is all she said to him as she headed towards the dining hall.

All tags!
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Reverend Joshua Long rose as Kynthia strode into the dining hall. His eyes narrowed slightly, but his face gave no indication of his thoughts. He waited in silence as she walked past the people in the room.

"Sister Eden," he said quietly. "I see you have returned." What the hell are you doing? His fingers barely moved as he communicated to her. Kynthia stood in front of him and smirked.

"Got room for a prodigal child come home to rest?" She asked, indicating the seat beside him.

"Of course, please sit."

When the others arrived, this then was the image they were met with. Their captain, sitting as an equal beside beside the Reverend, and talking as though she fit in that place almost as well as she fit running illegal goods from one world to the next.

TAGgity tag.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:04 pm

"Aww...are we perhaps a little sore that good old Capitan Ky might be finally ready to strut, instead of cowering?" Averroes crowed, falling into step just behind Lu as they walked towards the dining hall "I thought as her first mate, boon companion, executive officer....what have you, you'd be up for her getting in touch with her inner self?"

He allowed a Cheshire like grin to come upon his face.

"Or maybe its just the fact you left your bullet proof vest in your sock draw this morning?" he jibed "Oh fear not, I'm sure the new and improved Capitan Ky will have need of a sycophantic underling as much as the next megalomaniac."

And on that note.

"Addy! Hurry up, you'll miss the fire works!" he called over his shoulder.

TAG-Addy, Lu

Averroes

Jake Sjet

Postby popcornman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:00 pm

Addy had wondered about the what was going on but as usual, everyone else on the ship knew so he didn't bother asking. He followed the other two crew members to the dinning hall stopping a moment as he pondered what "she looks like Execution again" means.

"Addy! Hurry up, you'll miss the fire works!"

Addy hadn't realized that he had, in fact, come to a complete stop as if he was obeying a sign that did not exist. He quickly closed the distance to his new sparing partner and the Lu. He just about to speak up about what as going on and what the cryptic message by Teagan meant, as the suspense was consuming him, when they reached the dinning hall. When he took in the sight from under his long brown locks.

"That's new." Addy said to no one in particular as he moved the hair out of his face to get a clearer image as if the movement may help him understand what was going on.

Tags
SLA Personnel Chair

Commander Rory Shannon - XO USS Pegasus, Into the Breach - Retired
popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby teagan » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:04 pm

Teagan skidded to a halt just inside the door. She glared at Joshua Long, and made the sort of gesture that says either "What the hell is going on?" or "Strangling you at first opportunity. Please pencil me in for about two minutes from now."

It was hard to say, given her expression.

"That's new," said Addy.

"If you count new as a step backwards in time about ten years. Yeah. That's new." Muttered Teagan. "And I've got no idea how to stop it from happening. You do realize that if she keeps this up, she won't leave here again right? There will be no Monarch, no dodging the Alliance and Belladonna."

Teagan paused and thought for a moment. "Actually, she might leave long enough to kill Belladonna. And claim it as her divine right or something equally stupid. Do you have any idea how many people want to kill Kynthia when she's like this?"

TAGs

teagan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby popcornman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:17 pm

'Well new to me," Addy stated still wonderingwhat the hell was going on. "

The full weight of the next statement hit him like a rifle butt to the stomach. No monarch, no family... but what would happen to him? Could he find another small ship with a crew like this one? Probably not, and they might just turn him in for the reward that the Alliance still had out for him. Everything went blurring and he felt as if he might pass out and had to place his hand a nearby table to steady himself. He had to, the fear was overtaking everything and panic was setting in.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?" The question came out a little louder and way more shaky than intended. The internal monologue spilled from his mouth before he could control it. "Who is Execution? Is the captain also Execution? What form of the word are you referencing when giving it to a person? No monarch, is that possible? We are family... at least I feel that way? Doesn't everyone else? Or anyone else? It is about credits, I still have a plenty in my bunk? And why does everyone else know this is about except for me? I maybe have been just a rich spoiled Playboy but I am not that oblivious? Even the ever mysterious Averroes knows what is going on? And why is Averroes so darn good at everything?" He turned to look at the man. "Are you some kind of Alliance spy or something? Or rather Ex-Alliance spy for they were seemed very insistent on getting you off their ship? What did you do? You seem to have no problem killing someone? Isn't that the goal of an Alliance Assassin Spy killing people? I could barely kill... We you much know my past? And you probably know that I can barely use this stupid thing." He pulled the pistol from its holster and slammed it on the table. "As for the you Captain," He turned to Ky, ignoring the stunned audience. "If our quiet medic, who seems to me has changed to someone else completely different as you have since landing in this place, is right, you would stay here, forever? Why?" He was shaking now, probably a mix of the massive blood loss from a few days before and the emotional release. He slammed the pistol on the table again, getting reactions from the on lookers. " It umm," He flattered as everything around him spun. "I umm... so..." He collapsed in the nearest chair unable to continue speaking or standing. The pistol skittered down the table getting away from Addy's hand.

Tags

Gasket blown (Averroes didn't expect these Fireworks I bet)
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Kris » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:03 pm

Lu looked to Teagan before even dealing with Averroes.

"Yeah, I realize what this means. I've heard enough about it that I hope there is some way to get her out of it. I do agree though, she might try to kill Belladonna before all is said and done."

She collapsed into one of the chairs and looked at the others.

"We gotta try to keep her clear of those that wanna be killin' her, else they might go after us as well. Got enough people probably wantin' my head, don't need any more."

It was then that she turned to face Averroes.

"You don't wanna be dealing with Kynthia in this state. Trust me. I may not have ever known her like this but I do know her otherwise. Don't go getting on her bad side or you might see the bad side of her gun. I ain't afraid of her just...worried bout her."

It was then that Addy spoke up, and it was very rare that he did so. Taken back a bit by what was said, Lu stopped and just looked at him for a moment before speaking.

"I don't know all the details about her like this, just stories and what I've been told. On the note about Averroes, just...ignore him."

She smirked slightly before continuing.

"But I'm doubting that we will know every detail on Kynthia, or Execution, whoever she is now. But she is still our captain and...I'm sticking by her."

Tags: All!

Why would Lu be keeping a cool head? Hmmm...
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Jake Sjet » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:31 pm

"I'll hang on to that." Averroes said, reaching out and plucking the gun from where it had skimmed across the table. He glanced over it for a moment, looking at the sights, action, and nodding agreeably as he looked to Addy "As for who I am, just thinking of me as your psychotic fairy godfather. Its as close to my job title with my previous employer as we're liable to get, and I always did have a thing for Queen Mab: wonderful gams that one."

He then turned his icy blue eyes to Lu.

"Oh I'm very interested in meeting her bad side my dear, you see I've heard so much about it, the story we old players of the great game tell each other around the camp fire. She was the one who kept us all honest during the war, the one we all knew would find us one day were we to break the cardinal rules set by those who held her leash." he smiled broadly at her, revealing teeth "I'm just looking forward to the return of the status quo."

He then held up the gun, and let out a small giggle.

"I even have a starting pistol! This might be even more fun than the market where the boy blunder here got stab!" he chortled, seeming to be loosing control a tad.

TAG-Those concerned by a mad man with a gun (Addy I like the fireworks just fine, thanks for the toy :) )

Averroes

Jake Sjet

Postby popcornman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Addy glanced up from under his hair that now covered his face as he tried to recompose himself. "Giggle all you want. It's not even loaded. Its more for looks." Addy shook his head trying to clear it. "The last time I actually used it for more than that I killed the one with all the connections." Addy sighed, still refusing to uttered his brother's name. "Never even bothered to clean it or anything a part from the blood on the outside."

He parted his hair and looked into the icy blue eyes, his own eyes a mask of grief at remembering that night so long ago. "You will never be my anything... and." He glanced at the crew. "They are my everything." Addy's voice grew cold. "So shut your mouth before I shut it for you."

Tags
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Tavey » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:30 am

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?"
The words cut through the hum of conversation. A small group had entered the room, and the nuns were reacting to the commotion they created.

“Your turn Eden.” Murmured Joshua. “I’m not part of this.”

“You will always be my Judgement,” said Kynthia as she stepped off the dias. She walked over to the crew of The Monarch. When she reached them, she stood in silence for a moment, arms crossed over her chest.

“I’ll start at the top, shall I?” She said once all of them had finished speaking.

“Why would I stay here, on this sun scorched planet? Why not? What have I out there in the ‘Verse? I am tired Addy, tired in a way that I cannot even begin to explain. I am weary in my soul.”

She indicated Joshua Long. “And in answer to your unspoken question Lu. That man there is my oldest friend. You know him as Chuy Lo, the man near eaten by Reavers, who became a preacher to the lost souls in the dark places. I know him as my partner, the one person in the ‘Verse who has my back, and the one person who was the balance to my skill. I’ve missed him, and I want to come home.”

She paused, still not looking at Averroes, though she knew that she had to address him soon enough.

“At the beginning of the war, a small group of the more.. fervent of the children were taken to a training camp. We were split into teams, each paired with another. There weren’t many of us, but we were the best. And of that best, was a team known as Judgement and Execution. He’s Judgement. And I’m the best shot in the ‘verse.”

She sat down heavily. Ky rested her head in her hands for a moment, running her finger over the scar that was clearly visible along the side of her head. When she spoke, her voice was low, uncertain.

“I spent eight years or more not knowing who or what I was. So I became the person you know. And then, Maverick found Chuy Lo. And that split my ‘Verse open in ways I never knew existed. We argued, me an’ Josh, over Maverick. Only the once, but it was enough. One of the three that evaded our edict. And I was beddin’ him. You can imagine what that did.”

She took out one of her guns and carefully placed it on the table in front of her.

“You wish to know who I was? I can show you.” Only now her gaze fell on Averroes, and a smile crossed her face. “I think you’ve been waiting for this, haven’t you.”

Kynthia stood up. She stepped up onto the table. She raised her voice. “But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.”

Teagan paled, she staggered backwards, falling against Averroes as she did. Reverend Joshua Long stood up and raised his hands. “No!” he called out. “Kynthia! Eden. NO!”

Reverend Eden spun, sighted and fired. One of the sisters fell to the ground, clutching her chest. Others scattered away from the fallen. More than a few began to pray loudly.

“Sister Rosemary. You have been judged, and found guilty of war crimes, and of bringing pain to the innocent. I am free of edict.”

Kynthia stepped down off the table.

“That’s who I was, and who I am.” she said quietly in a voice full of pain, and loss. "You are my everything too."

TAG - all.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:46 pm

It was...glorious.

That was the only word for it really. It was like the first moment the chrysalis cracks open, and bright vibrant color spills out as the butterfly hidden within comes to the fore. Averroes looked on with something akin to awe in his eyes, but then again only a monster would appreciate what he was seeing. Oh the piffle about the camps and the children? Old news, hardly interesting. It was long ago determined that if you wanted to indoctrinate and make perfect toy soldiers, who had to start young when the minds were malleable.

It had worked for the Church, and the Alliance had been playing this game a little longer than most.

Averroes wrapped his arms around Tegan in a way that, in other circumstances and places, may well have been construed as an unwanted advance or an attack. But it was the placement of pointed finger tips against pressure points, over arteries, with the care of a concert pianist that showed the true intention as he leaned closer to whisper in the medics ear.

"Now...dearest, I'm sure you don't want to miss the show so, please no sudden movements. I would hate to ruin this fine day with a sudden bout of pained unconsciousness, yes?" he cooed gently as his eyes watched Ky...no. No longer Ky but Execution, feared instrument to mad men and women alike who dared to speak on behalf of the Almighty.

Today really was a good day.

TAG-Tegan and all.

Averroes
A Huge Fan

Jake Sjet

Postby teagan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:01 am

His hands touched her, and she froze. Only the trembling of her body betrayed her concern. Teagan nodded slowly, indicating that she would not struggle. She lay a hand over his, and leaned back against him. A stiff smile quirked her lips.

"What do you want?" she whispered. "Why?"

TAG - Averroes.

teagan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby Jake Sjet » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:39 am

"Why dear Tegan?" Averroes tutted reproachfully as the world beyond the two of the meandered on towards the point "I would have thought that would have been painfully obvious to you. The long peace of these past ten years has been fruitful for the sheep and rabbits, but for the wolves who stoked the flames of fire so long ago...it has been a drought as painful as a Sunday stroll upon the surface of this rock."

He moved one finger, slowly, delicately,call owing the point of it to rest under her jaw between throat and chin.

"For my kin and I this peace has seen us wane in favour, our services long since regarded as blooded necessities now seen as mistakes best hidden in the pale embrace of death." He lifted her chin gently, to have her gaze on Ky "She will bring the drums of war to a fevered tempo, and my brothers and sister will dance as we have not danced in ten long years."

He smiled wider, eager, predatory...wrong.

"Glorious..." He whispered reverently "Glorious..."

Tag Tegan, all.

Averroes

Jake Sjet

Postby Kris » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:35 am

All Lu could do was sit and stare at Kynthia as she did what she would only do as Eden. It was only Averroes that enjoyed it, and seemed to enjoy the thought of another war. Not only that, he was getting on her nerves and seemingly Teagan's as well. Once Kynthia had stopped, she went over to Averroes and pushed him away from Teagan.

"I don't want to hear you saying anything like that to any of us, do you understand?! Enough was lost in the first war, we don't need another! And I don't want you doing anything more to make us uncomfortable on a personal level, is that understood?"

The anger was obvious on her face and in her voice. Without really waiting for an answer, she then turned to Kynthia.

"We understand...we all understand. Wh..what is it we need to do?"

Tags: All
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:03 pm

Addy listened to his captain and he understood. He understood it all and it touched him. He turned his head down toward the table, allowing the hair to fall to its normal position, partly in front of his face. His mind drift, still taking in the story about war. A war that had killed his parents and made his one of the richest young men on Ariel and yet took all that he had held dear in his life. Those nights with the companions he had hired only to cry either in their arms or alone with them looking on, came rushing back. It all came back as the gate around that mansion he had once lived in had opened allowing the thoughts that he had buried deep in his mind back. The fancy parties, the fancy food, and the loneliness all came back.

He didn't even look up as the gun went off. It was a faint echo in his mind. A memory of another pistol in his hand two inches from his brothers face. It was the words that brought him back. Words, he never thought he would hear again; words of caring. You are my everything too. Words that in any other context he would completely ignore for that would not have been meant for him, and they still may not.

Addy looked Ky and nodded slightly trying to smile though his own pain.

Tag Ky

A voice then whispered and Addy almost shuddered. Did he ever just shut his gorram mouth? Addy thought. That answer was a simple two letters: NO. He didn't turn as Lu pushed Averroes away from Teagan. "Or she will shut it for you." Addy whispered to himself waiting Ky to respond to Lu's request for guidance.

Tag Averroes/Ky/ anyone really
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Tavey » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:22 am

"Enough!" Roared a male voice from outside the small group. While they'd talked, the nuns had cleared the dining hall. The crumpled body of Sister Rosemary lay on the floor. Ameri knelt beside her. Joshua Long strode towards them, his face twisted into a grimace of fury.

"You bring that here?" he shouted, as soon as he was close enough. "That time, that horror.. into this place of prayer and peace?"

"I was reinstated by the order. About six months ago." Kynthia said. "They stopped The Monarch, under guise of being an Alliance ship. Said that they needed my skill again. Morrigan is free. And honestly, I welcomed it. Wanted it."

Ky stood. Her eyes flickered towards Averroes, and she noted the way that Teagan was looking at the twisted man. Later she promised herself.

"We understand...we all understand. Wh..what is it we need to do?" Asked Lu, her voice stumbling over the words.

"I don't know. For now, nothing. I still have someone I need to .... visit.. over the other side of the World."

This was the thing that Joshua Long had feared so long ago. One of the reasons that he and Eden had worked so well together was that he was the balance to her. She could turn off the emotions that he couldn't. She was action, where he was reason. Without someone to do that for her, she'd tear through the 'Verse on order. Were she given the right order to do so. He saw an opportunity in the way that Addy and Lu looked to Kynthia. But worried about the gleam he spotted in Averroes' eyes.

"Not now. That can wait until you are rested. Lu, Addy I need to talk to you." The big man said, pointing in the direction of his office.

"Good, because I need to talk to you." Said Kynthia to Averroes, "and soon."

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Round House In The God House

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Kynthia waited until the others had left the room. Teagan had fled to spend time with Ameri. She waited in silence. A chill silence that sank into the very stones of the floor. No sooner had they left, then she grabbed Averroes, pinning him against the wall.

"Who are you?" she demanded as soon as there was privacy.

A dark throaty chuckle arose from him, the sort of thing that rattles up into the rafters of the mind and takes roost there. It was not the sound a worried man would make in this situation, and by definition the situation Averroes now found himself in would call for supreme calm and carefully chosen words. And yet he chuckled, as carefree as any Dandy Jack out for a stroll on the cobbles.

“I am you.” he purred with supreme confidence, his eyes meetings hers with unflinching intensity “Only without the Preacher’s sentiment to soften the edge of my appearance. Though if you seek more clarifying details...I would propose a trade.”

“A trade?” Kynthia leaned closer to Averroes, slipping a knife from a concealed sheath on her bodice and sliding it up to his throat. “What sort of trade would I want from you? Other than business, of course.”

She waited a moment or two, allowing the heartbeats to settle and the tension to build. A dust mote could have made more noise than the two of them. Then stepped back, crossing her arms and never, not for an instant, losing eye contact. For eye contact told more than body language sometimes. She ignored his assertion that he was the same as she. That was a door that was almost too frightening to open.

“The sort of trade my dear, that would bring things within your grasp that have eluded you thus far. A certain someone who we nearly met at the market and yet missed, because you’ve decided to shackle yourself to a phantom conscience and a charity case.” he growled, rolling his eyes even whilst he felt the coolness of the knifes blade “You could have had done with Belladonna, and have been free and clear of what remained of her allies had you not worried about the poor boy who bleeds so finely.”

He gave a minuscule shrug, a ghost of the gesture.

“I would happily provide you with a second chance for a small consideration. And thus I present the terms of our little trade.”

“Don’t try my patience.” Eden stepped closer again, toying with the idea of gutting the irritant in front of her, then tucking away the thought for another time. “The boy is part of the crew, and is in his own way important. Even if he thinks he’s useless. The troops were the issue, not my compassion.”

The light from a hanging lantern above glinted off the edge of the finely honed blade as she twisted it upon a finger. “Besides, I think Belladonna’s other traits have.. spread to her marks. We were sent to kill a male. I mean apprehend a male. Instead I saw a woman with the wrong face.” Eden put the blade away quickly. “Tell me about this second chance you think you can create.”

“Well...see now I feel less inclined to tell you.” he said indignantly, huffing a little as he rolled his eyes “‘The troops’? Really? You were concerned about a score or more fellows whose modus operandi starts with billy clubs and rubber bullets and rises slowly, and only after permission, to the use of deadly force? Look to the two you had dragged with you into that mess of a operation: the boy with doubts, and the girl who see’s you as someone you are most certainly not. I mean I get it, playing with one arm behind your back is all very dashing and a keen example of your skills but, fun is fun. If you had been alone, without them to hold you back...tell me the out come would not have been different? Tell me, honestly and for true, that I am so wrong in that notion?”

“If I’d been alone?” A smile curved the edge of Edens face and her eyes became cool. She tilted her head slightly to one side. “You have to even ask? I wouldn’t have bothered with getting close. Find the target, set up, take them out from a distance. Leave.”

She did not move away. A nun walked past them, eyes down to the floor and almost scurrying in her need to get past them.

“My point exactly! You could have been done with this whole thing if you’d just been yourself.” he waved a hand in a gesture that any fashion aficionado would recognize “Instead you play dress up for your two loyal pets, and then have a crisis of faith when the mission goes tits up. Was I the only one who noticed how its was the boy who caused the house of cards to fall down around your years?”

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath as though removing the dire threat of worldly violence from his mind, and then said simply.

“If you think you can keep your two canaries in check, then I can provide you with Belladonna and her loyal minions in one happy little package. I can even promise there will be a bow involved.” he purred.

“How can a girl refuse such an offer? It will also solve one of our other problems too. Lucille's family have been taken. Probably by Belladonna.”

Kynthia stepped back and nodded. “Very well. I promise to follow through and kill the bitch. You let me know where to find her and how to get close. She knows too many secrets as it is.”

“Well its nice to know I’m giving you a bone to throw to your...’friends’.” he said distastefully, his tongue playing around his mouth as though he had just bitten a rotten apple “But it will take me at most a day, maybe more, to set up my little arrangement. Will that give you enough time to settle them down into quiet acceptance?”

“I need a bit more time here. I’ve got business to take care of that I can’t put off anymore. If I am to run without Judgment by my side, I need his blessing at least. That might take a bit to accomplish. And I need to talk to the others, because whether you like it or not, they’re part of the crew.”

Her voice lowered and she leaned forward to whisper in his ear, “and then we find out who is who in this little game we play. In private.”

“Far be it from me to involve small animals in the grand game, for in all honest it is the outcome I am most looking forward to.” he sighed, looking around the dining hall as he noticed another of the nuns making a quick scamper down the hall and away “Now if you pardon me, I fancy a spot of lunch to feed the soul.”

Jake Sjet

Postby Kris » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:33 pm

(JP Joshua, Lu, Addy)

Joshua Long's office was a place of warmth and comfort. The furniture was worn but comfortable. He sat down on a chair close to a desk and leaned forward, steepling his fingers.

"When did she change?" he asked Lu and Addy as they came into the room.

"About..." Addy glanced at his empty wrist and estimated the time it took to walk to the strange man's office. "5 minutes ago." He chose to lean against the wall next to the door instead of sitting. He opened his mouth to speak again, then, deciding otherwise, shut it and crossed his arms instead.

Lu sat down and shook her head at Joshua's question.

"She wasn't this bad, but I noticed it about...six months ago like she said. I wasn't fully sure what everything meant at that time."

She looked towards Addy, then back at Joshua.

"I've never seen her like this. I've been on and off this crew a lot, but...this isn't like her at all. She's not one to off and just shoot someone. Yeah, we have our bad dealings with people, but to go to this extreme? Never. I take it you have seen this more than once?"

"More than once," echoed the big man. "How about hundreds of times Lucille? This is what we did, she and I. She says she was under edict, and that means that all of the brainwashing the order did on her.. us.. is in effect. She's above the law, when she's under edict."

"There has to be some way to get her out of this, realize what actually is the right thing to do," Lu stated with a sigh. "Above the law...how could that bed? I have been with her pretty much the whole time...well, maybe not around here but still. I don't like her like this, Joshua. It scares me, more than just a little."

"Truth be told, it scares me more than a bit too. When she was shot, and lost her memories, that was her chance to begin again. New life, new... loves. To see her back where she was ten years ago, so suddenly. It is a terrible thing."

"So… there are two assassins on the ship." Addy wondered aloud slowly tossing his hair away from his face. The thought both intrigued and horrified him. If Ky became another Averroes, he would probably have to either leave or kill one of them to keep everyone else from killing each other. Averroes was the logical choice he was new and he was not the captain. No one really liked him either. "How does this change things?" He looked at the man behind the desk. "Does she, or the both of you go on some killing rampage?"

He paused cocking his head at the thought of being part of some elite team. Then he shook it slightly, the hair returned to his place obscuring the left side of his face. "You both know her a lot better than I do?." He paused saying the last part more to himself then the others in the room. "I'm not even sure she really noticed me before today. It seemed like I was just another passenger along for the ride."

She looked over at Addy, "I don't want to see how her and Averroes interact with her in this state. He is bad enough by himself. Killing rampage...I know one person she probably wants to kill, though there are days I'd like to kill her as well."

Turning back to Joshua, "Is there a way to see how this all started up again in her head? We can't fly the Monarch right with her acting this way, she'll keep changing things..."

Joshua Long nodded, as if it made sense to him. "So that's what the other man is. I thought he looked familiar. At least in how he moves. I don't think it'll be a problem."

He sat down, sharing his gaze between them. "Don't think for one moment that she didn't notice you. She likes you enough to keep you on the ship."

Turning back to Joshua, Lu said "Is there a way to see how this all started up again in her head? We can't fly the Monarch right with her acting this way, she'll keep changing things..."

"You said it started six months ago, roughly? She stopped caring about the ship and seemed driven towards this area? Did you encounter any ships or people who talked to her alone?"

Addy thought for a moment. "We were separated after being boarded by the alliance. I believe Kynthia mentioned that bit. I couldn't say about she conversations but the private asked me about Maverick and the Captain before he… umm… choked on his words. It was strange that they just let us go, even with warrants a few of the crew surely had. We also had a run in with Miss Belladonna which didn't go so well."

"Separated. Lu, were you with her then? Do you remember any scripture being quoted to her?" Joshua thought over some of the other things that Kynthia had said before she vanished away to get a uniform that he instinctively hated seeing on her.

"We need to remember that she keeps saying she's tired. Tired of what exactly?"

Addy chose not to bring up the noticing thing despite wanting to. A lot of people saw him back on Ariel but no one really noticed him. There were the balls he threw and guests acted like they cared, but they were just there to be seen. It was also true that the captain had taken a him in not knowing the possible danger he could cause. He had paid companions, who probably just wanted the money, to have someone to talk to but they really didn't care. The captain in his mind was strong and did not show much, but that moment they had in the dining hall. The doubt crept in for a moment. Maybe it he miss heard her, maybe he was just another crew member… nope. Addy shook his head. "Lu, you probably have a better answer than I."

Lu listened to Joshua's questions and sat in thought for a moment, trying to remember what had happened at that point. So much had happened since then that it was difficult to remember.

"Men came onto the ship...looking for her apparently. The only time I think she talked to someone alone was before we were even separated, and that was just looking into one of the old bunks, but we were all there in the same area. Then she and I were in a room. I don't remember any type of scripture...a few things I didn't understand. 'Justice and Execution shall follow the sinners all the days of their lives' is all I remember that would come close."

She sat forward for a moment and shook her head.

"I was informed of quite a bit of information I probably wasn't supposed to know, a little about what you two did. Then...she was told to 'take care of one Mother Rosemary' that she was interfering with their plans. There are some things that I don't remember. Then we ended up with a new passenger if I can remember right. Otherwise, I don't think she was out of ear shot. She went to grab a gun she said but then she was right back on board and we were dealing with that Averroes character."

"Speaking of Averroes," Addy's thoughtfully stated."Should we be leaving them alone to conjure up some crazy scheme without level-headed involvement? I am keenly aware that he has had some larger plan for her and I get the feeling that he finds the rest of us expendable."

Joshua leaned forward abruptly. If what Lu had said was true, then the church had gone back into the earliest of their training. "Justice and Execution shall follow the sinners all the days of their lives" he echoed.

"Justice was her partner just before me. She betrayed the team, and left. Changed her name to Morrigan. They split the teams again, deciding to put male and female together so that it was more.. balanced."

He got up and began to pace the office. There were things he wanted to shout to the heavens. Instead he found that he was wiping tears away from his eyes, as he'd done so many times before over her.

"For now, I don't think she wants to leave. While she's here, we're fairly safe. Once out there, who knows what will trigger another buried piece. You need to remain here for a few days at least. Longer if possible."

"No complaints here, though it maybe easier said than done." Addy commented. There was nothing wrong with this place for the moment. "I think I can distract Averroes for awhile, assuming this place was a shooting range somewhere. I am sure he will want to try his new toy."

Lu wrenched her hands together and sighed to herself. "We can keep her here, say we got engine trouble or something. Let Averroes play with his toy like Addy said. Don't....don't got nothing out there we need doin' right now anyways." She was ready to get out of the room, she didn't want to worry Joshua or Addy with what she had running around in her own mind.

"No complaints here, though it maybe easier said than done." Addy commented. There was nothing wrong with this place for the moment. "I think I can distract Averroes for awhile, assuming this place was a shooting range somewhere. I am sure he will want to try his new toy."

Lu wrenched her hands together and sighed to herself. "We can keep her here, say we got engine trouble or something. Let Averroes play with his toy like Addy said. Don't....don't got nothing out there we need doin' right now anyways." She was ready to get out of the room, she didn't want to worry Joshua or Addy with what she had running around in her own mind.

Joshua Long gave Lucille the kind of look that says Don't you lie to me, missy, but kept his mouth shut. There would be time to discuss that with her later. "Very well," he said. "For a few days, which will give us a chance to see if she is serious, and gather any other information that may help, you stay here and rest. We'll stock the ship with basics. I'll try and work with Kynthia and see if I can change her mind."

The big man nodded to both of them and left the room, closing the door behind him quietly. For now, he wanted nothing more than to find a space where he could sit and pray. Perhaps think.
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:23 am

Kynthia took herself down to another of the rooms she'd found while wandering around. A large empty room with a padded floor in the centre. Perfect for shaking out some of the tension she felt.

She took off enough clothing so that she could really move and stretch. It had been years since she'd performed these exercises, and she wanted to be able to warm her muscles properly. This was going to hurt.

Kynthia warmed up slowly. She began to smile as her feet remembered where they should be. She managed to slap herself a few times, but not as many as she'd feared. Still, when half an hour was over, she was winded and sweating. That would never do. She decided to return later in the day to go through the steps again. She stretched once more, in order to cool her muscles down.

There was a small room off to the side, primarily used for cleaning after working out. This place had been designed to be more than just a convent. Perilous times, she supposed, stripping down and stepping into the shower unit. Since water was a premium here, the showers practically sealed themselves. She didn't take long, and waited patiently while she was dried off with warm air, before stepping out. As soon as she closed the door behind her, collectors scraped every drop of water away.

Kynthia left the room feeling pretty good about life in general, and headed back up to the more populated areas of the convent. She wanted to find her crew.

Tags for them that wants to!
(if not, please do find yourself something to occupy yourself.)

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby teagan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:19 pm

Teagan finished sorting her medications and storing them properly onboard The Monarch. She just wanted to leave. Get away from all of this. Next thing you knew, they'd be asking her to lead prayer or something equally against her personal ethics.

She wanted the woman that she'd seen in Kynthia to come back. Wanted to hear the laughter on the ship that there'd been hints of. It was awful, what was happening.

teagan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby popcornman » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Addy wondered back toward the ship in a quandary. How was he going to be around Averroes and not just knock his teeth out? The man clearly invaded the personal space of everyone on the ship especially Teagan. The connection between Teagan and Ky was strong and plain to see but he had never asked nor really cared. Averroes knew and it was almost like he was using it against them.

Addy turned a corner still not paying attention. The noise of his head and the corridor wall made him look up sharply. He rubbed the knot forming on above his left temple as he looked around. He turned left instead of right. He silently corrected and continued on.

The ship came into view around the next turn. Addy just needed a few things and then "play time with Averroes." He could imagine the thought in finger quotes. Addy did have ammo for the Alliance pistol and ammo for the lever action carbine he had picked up on Belladonna's happy station. That was not going to Averroes. The man now possessed 2 of the 5 weapons he owned. Averroes had been nice enough to return the boot knife although the katana in return not quite the equal. He looked up just in time to trip on the open cargo door. He was really distracted to have two minor accidents in just a few moments. He sat on the large door trying to collect himself. He would need his wits to deal with Averroes and loaded firearms. Those words kept playing in the back of his mind.

You are my everything too.

He hugged himself for a long moment before standing. He needed ice for his head and it wouldn't hurt to check his wound. He turned and headed toward the infirmary. He looked up just in time to not knock Teagan over. He really had pay attention.

tags Teagan

gonna give Averroes a loaded gun and a lot of ammo for it, but he will have to do something for Addy
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby teagan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:21 pm

Teagan turned around and nearly bumped into Addy. "Oh!" She exclaimed. "I'm sorry. I didn't hear you."

The medic put down the box she was carrying on a nearby counter. She looked concerned. Addy just didn't look right. Sort of more out of sorts than not.

"Hey," she said quietly, putting a hand on his arm. "Talk to me."

TAG

teagan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Next

Return to Firefly: Monarch