The Heat Inside

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: The Heat Inside

Postby popcornman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Addy felt himself floating and the world moved. The white washed over exposed cargo bay became another semi-familiar place but it was peaceful and the light kept growing and it was warm and inviting. Nothing responded when he tried to move but the light kept growing, engulfing him. Then a sudden drop to darkness.

The dreams that Addy fell through were largely unintelligible, but customary voices kept booming through. There was something about not running off and a response he did not fully understand. He closed his eyes for a moment and just focused on the voices. He recognized them but could not place them. He tried but it was hard, it was as if his brain was not functioning. Was this heaven? His looked around quickly at the multicolor forest he was strolling through as if there was nothing he would rather be doing. This was the place that the shepherds preached He glanced around again this was not right. The bible did not describe a multicolored universe that randomly shifted from one scene to another and he was pretty sure that God, if there was a God, would not approve of him. Someone who had killed his own brother in cold blood without remorse. Then there was the companions that he had befriended during his days on Ariel and the two companions that he had paid for those lonely nights after his parents deaths. So what the Shiong mao niao is going on?

He focused again on the voices and tried to place the one that he could hear. It was saying something about a spider in the center of a web. The voice it... he closed his eyes and concentrated on not just the words and the voice saying them. It was saying something about more than good intentions? What good intentions? Addy still could not place the voice. He shook his head as a pink and neon green bird flew over his head toward a purple and red sea.

"Of course that assumed he’ll live to learn," the voice said.

Who will live? Addy's felt a tug on his neck just a slight one, but he could not place why he felt it. Wait a moment.

tags: Addy would come and visit but he is unfortunately somewhere in a multicolored dreamland as well as on a table in the Infirmary
SLA Personnel Chair

Commander Rory Shannon - XO USS Pegasus, Into the Breach - Retired
popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jake Sjet » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:47 pm

“This. Is. So. Borning.”

Averroes had perched himself on a counter top in the infirmary, one leg crossed over the other, his arms folded up so he could rest his chin upon it, staring at Tegan and her pet project of Addy’s chest. His current contorted position was a marked improvement from his pacing, and even his oddly insightful tips to medical trivia. Then again knowing how to take someone apart, it took only a little known how to reserve the process and put a person back together again.

And who says the Alliances Special Projects division didn’t give its members marketable skills?

He’d tried to keep himself occupied: he’d sorted the medical supplies by usage and volume (He’d have tried alphabetising them but someone (cough)Tegan(cough) got there first). He then checked all the scalpels and other surgical tools, to make sure they were sharp enough and powered properly. The look he had gotten whilst working the blades of two bone saws together, giving the impression he was about to carve up Addy like a Christmas turkey, was note enough that he should find something to do that did not resemble bodily violence.

And so he had sat, for all of fifteen minutes, and was now very fatally bored out of his gourd.

He rolled his eyes towards Ky.

“On behalf of my continued simulation of sanity, before we land upon this convent of nuns and what not, might I use the Cortex to arrange our mutually agreed deal of passage? You know…my knowledge of people, places and favours that can lead to cashy money for one and all?”

He held his hands out towards her.

"Please? For I feel a desire to knit coming upon me, and I know not a stitch or a pattern."

TAG-Tegan, Addy and Ky.

Averroes
Like House MD Without The Bed Side Manner
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Tavey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Averroes rolled his eyes towards Ky.

“On behalf of my continued simulation of sanity, before we land upon this convent of nuns and what not, might I use the Cortex to arrange our mutually agreed deal of passage? You know…my knowledge of people, places and favours that can lead to cashy money for one and all?”

He held his hands out towards her.

"Please? For I feel a desire to knit coming upon me, and I know not a stitch or a pattern."

"Will it stop you destroying my plans and my ship over the next, say.. hour or two?" Kynthia asked, her mouth twitching as she fought not to laugh. "All considering that our quarry has by now figured out we're here, an' I have to be goin' and seein' my past all up close and personal like, and it's like to make me a bit tetchy around the edges."

TAG - Averroes.

She waved the man out of the way, and then bent towards Teagan with a worried sigh. "I got to seek Judgement." She whispered to the medic, who paled immediately she did.

TAG - Teagan.

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:23 pm

“I make no promises!”

Had he been able to skip he would have done, such was the mind of the man called Averroes. Instead he sauntered, he strutted, and he sulked with all the grace of a tom cat with his dander up and the smell of a wounded mouse parading before his nose. That is not to say that he was not a man prone to rash action, but sometimes the scheming of schemes and the planning of plans was the really good part of an operation.

Again there was that oddly nostalgic twang to the good old days of the Independence War, a far simpler time for a man of his abilities. Go to planet A, scout out B and C, bury D, and explode E, and if at all possible render all vestiges of authority and order into chaos and rubble. But once the war was over, what was the point of such people as he and his kin? Oh they tried to fit into the normal chain of military command, and apart from that disaster on New Phoenix there was not a hint the Alliance did not think good on their investment.

Those that had washed out of the program had become some of the greatest war time planners and strategists of the war. Whilst those that had excelled, and passed through the fires of Hell that had been their training, had become the mad dogs needed stir up all manner of trouble. ‘Tell me which side you want to lose, and we’ll provide the war.’ Had been the favoured saying of the old blood stained crone who had been commanding officer.

But times had changed, the peace had been a long ten years of boredom and tedium. If he had known life on Firefly transport could be this fun, he’d have done it ages ago. Huum, maybe when he was done making his call he could try finding a few of the others, like Socrates, Delphi and Rand? A reunion tour or something like it? Paint a few towns the correct shade of red…

The four horsemen ride again.

He pranced, literally, onto the bridge and into the domain of Lu. He had the distinct impression that the plucky pilot didn’t care for him much, which he put down to not knowing him very well at all. Why he was sure, once she got to know him, <i>really</i> got to know him, she’d be downright terrified of him.

But that was emotional trauma for another day.

“Which one of these sparkly buttons turns on the cortex, and which one flies us into the sun?” he asked, hands behind his back as though he were an errant school boy “I ask only because I am a curious soul when it comes to buttons.”

TAG-Lu

Averroes
My characters have many things for buttons…this is a problem.

Jake Sjet

Postby Kris » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:21 am

Lu spun around in her chair and eyed Averroes, who she didn't really trust yet, and sighed.

"I ain't telling you which button does what, so don't go asking or pushing them."

She allowed her chair to turn back only a bit before glancing back over.

"How're things going down there? I don't hear much when I'm up here by myself. I'm still hurting so I can't imagine anything that great happening down there with how we were all beat up."

Tag- Averroes
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:50 pm

Kynthia stood in front of the tiny screen in her quarters, and hesitated. It had been a while since she'd seen Chuy Lo, and the parting had been strange to say the least.

Still, they needed a hidey hole, and this was about as good as it got, all things considered. She swiftly pressed the necessary buttons before she lost her nerve.

"I would like to be speaking to the Abbot." She informed the nun who appeared on the screen in front of her.

"He is not available, I'll take a message," the anonymous one replied. A plastic smile appeared on her face.

"It's alright. I'll hold." Kynthia stood her ground, and tried to think if this was one of the hold over's from the previous incumbants reign. In which case, this one would have to be watched. Or maybe killed. Kynthia waited while the nun stared at her for a moment.

"I said that he was not available. I am sorry."

Kynthia leaned forward and dropped her voice. "Tell him Eden called, and you didn't patch me through or let him know. And when I arrive in about an hour's time, I will inform him too. Enjoy that."

If it was possible for a woman with a face framed in black to pale more, she would do so. The nun practically quivered. "You're Eden?" She said, with a distinct quiver in her voice. "One moment please."

Kynthia sat down abruptly. The time was coming. She swallowed.

Within moments, the heavily scarred face of a man she barely remembered, yet knew so well, appeared before her. He too looked startled to see her, though his face twisted into what could be a smile as soon as he did. Kynthia tried very hard not to look at the teeth marks on his cheek, and smiled in return.

"Abbot." She greeted him, politely inclining her head.

"Eden." He replied, also inclining his. "Why're you callin'?"

"The Monarch is coming in for a visit. Me, Lu.. " she paused for a moment. "Teagan." His eyes widened. "Need a spot to stop for a moment or two."

"Why here?"

"Can't I just want to see you for a bit?" She demanded, frustration flowing to the fore. "Is it so hard that a place that is cool and peaceful would be wrong?"

Chuy Lo leaned his head back and began to laugh. He pointed at the screen, and howled with laughter some more. "You ain't never been one to lie, not even to me. Get down here and tell Teagan that I expect to be seeing her soon as you arrive. Then you tell me what's really going on."

"Deal."

Kynthia clicked off the viewer, and toggled the comm to the ship. "Ky here. So, we're off to the Convent on the bright side of hell. Remember your sunblock, because it ain't pretty on the outside. arrival in an hour."

She snapped off the comm, and rested her head against the wall, then whispered to herself, "And try not to cry when you see Joshua. Try not to weep for the lost times."

How she hated the scar that twisted both her memory and her skin.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby popcornman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Addy shuddered and his eyes snapped open. There was a blinding light in his eyes and he couldn't place it. His head movement was hampered by something ... or someone. Had she found him to finish the job... no... she loved a fight. As the room came out of the light and into focus. He realized he was not in heaven or hell or the next step in life... he was in the infirmary of the ship. He still couldn't place the voices in his dream scape. He struggled to even move more than his eyes. He did notice the medic. "Didn't think I would see this place again." He whispered.

Tags Teagan or anyone else who wants to visit.
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jake Sjet » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:48 pm

“The boy who bleeds will more than likely live to bleed another day.” Averroes sighed, looking around the cockpit with a furrowed brow “The boy can’t dodge worth a damn, but there is the possibility of improvement in his future. Should Doctor Tegan not fudge the recovery and consigning him to lands beyond. Though should that happen, that would at least let you be seen next by the red fingered miss.”

He sighed and regarded her.

“But I am serious, I have been granted a boon by your captain to make a singular call to one soul on old Londinum, an acquaintance of mine who owes me a favour.” Averroes lied. It was not so much that a favour was owed, merely the fact was present in the callers mind of what would happen to him should the request not be followed through “And that favour will see witness to a shower of bountiful opportunities for the collection of cashy money. You know, to buy nice things: dressed, fuel, proper medical supplies-“

Bombs, bullets, guns, plastique, war ship grade weaponry and a few whet stones.

“-all necessary things. You can even watch whilst I make the call, to make sure I’m not calling the Alliance to offer them the bargain bucket of the criminal middle class huum?” he grinned at her “Job that pays this well, could see you retire from this travelling show and return to your family, the wee little one who is no longer here.”

TAG--Lu

Averroes

Jake Sjet

Postby Kris » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 am

Lu glared at the man for a bit and frowned.

"I had a feeling that was the reason you asked. Can't blame me for being cautious."

In listening to what Averroes was saying, something caught her in the wrong way and she stood up and came right up to him.

"Don't go talking about my family! I don't even want to know HOW it is that you know about them, but don't bring them up in all this. You have no idea how hard it is to be away from them, I doubt you'd ever know."

Alright, he'd hit a nerve that she didn't even know she had. It was hard enough being away from her son, let alone to have someone she really didn't like bringing it up. She was within an inch of punching him in the face, but knew that they couldn't afford for that right now.

Instead, she backed away and nodded towards the secondary consoles.

"I'll give you the access over there, don't like people sitting in my chair."

Sliding into her seat she grumbled and tried to calm down as she sent that communications ability over to Averroes. She was tempted to talk to Kynthia about it, but knew better than to bug her where she was at.

Tag: Averroes...you struck a nerve!
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:12 am

Lu had made the right call. Kynthia wasn't in an emotional place to be bothered right now. Part of her wanted to crawl back into the small hiding spot she once called her cabin. The one in the hold of the Monarch. It would mean a return to the place where she was safe from the memories.

More to the point, the emotions that came with said memories. They overwhelmed her, ran her into the ground, and forced her into a place where she'd kill the next person who said the wrong thing.

Still, she couldn't stay in her current cabin for long. It wouldn't work, and wasn't polite to ignore the greeting party that was about to meet them at the heavy doors to the convent.

==============================================================

It didn't take long to swing around the curve of the world. Beneath them, the ground smoked where the sun touched it. Leviathan was not aptly named, and it seemed that when the Alliance had tried to terraform this world, they'd had plans to create some kind of vast water world. Probably another luxury world with pretty floating islands. The sun had other ideas, and had boiled the land beneath until it cracked under the pressure.

But pressure created other things, not least of which was a pretty bauble, a beautiful gem that brought a lot of money to the right hands. It could only be mined by hand, which drove the alliance completely insane with irritation. Hands were far too slow, far too costly. But one of those pretty gems with the internal multi-coloured sparkle, would pay for a hundred workers chipping away for a week.

This then was the economy that the world was built upon. Over the years, it had created wars, as various king-pins tried to control the world. Then the nuns arrived, with their brutal philosophy and their simple ways. Run by a controlling bi**h of a woman who'd forced the very shape of the order into her own ideals. Here was the place that Ameri had been sent. The Convent of St Florian, patron saint of sailors or some such ironic choice.

They'd been there before, in this ship. Only a few years ago now, it seemed. Landed next to the twisted skeletons of nuns who had disobeyed the order. They'd come to find Ameri and rescue her from the horror of this place, and in doing so, had rescued one and lost another. Here was where Kynthia's world had come crashing in, and she did not want to return at all.

=============================================================

Kynthia stood at the back of the bridge area, and watched the landing. She didn't speak, and ignored everyone who tried to talk to her. Her face was impassive, her body still. She looked like a killer ready to do exactly that.

As the ship slipped into place, beneath a new overhand that provided some blessed relief from the sun, Kynthia noticed that the old garden of stakes with the cruel fruit was gone. No more twisted horrific skeletons that were, for all intents and purposes, the same as Reaver bait. Not for the first time, she wondered if the old Abbess had been one of those poor devils.

There was a hollowed tunnel now leading to the main doors of the Convent. Chuy Lo had been busy in his time here. Kynthia bowed her head slightly, she needed to remember to call him Reverend Joshua now. That was his name here.

As soon as the ship settled, Kynthia headed out of the bridge. She made her way to the cargo hold and lowered the ramp. A blast of intense heat hit the inside of the Monarch with the force of a sledgehammer. And it was nearly nightfall here too. This was just what was left at the end of the day.

Kynthia walked across to the door, where she paused before lifting the heavy knocker and letting it fall. The reverberation of the sound it made, ran through her as well as the hall beyond. She looked tiny against the door. The oversize man's shirt that she usually wore seemed particularly rumpled, and only added to the illusion that she was smaller than she truly was.

The door opened slowly, and a woman in a white nuns habit stepped out. The nun kept her head down, but nodded slightly.

"We are expected Sister. The Reverend knows we're here." She said quietly. The sister raised her head, and Kynthia stopped, staring at a face that she thought she'd never see again. "Ameri..." she whispered.

"Welcome Kynthia. Welcome indeed. Come in. Are all of your crew coming too?" Ameri said, gesturing into the coolness of the hall beyond. "I'll talk with you later, if that's alright with you?"

"Sure.. of course. Ain't.. well.. look, if'n you're still up to it, we've got one what has been injured. My medic could do with some help?"

Ameri smiled. Ky couldn't help but think how pretty and peaceful she looked here in this place. She smiled back.

"I will help. If your medic is not able to heal quickly, then maybe another pair of hands is what is needed." Ameri replied. "Now come. Reverend Joshua is waiting for you in his room. I think he is just as nervous to see you Ky, as you are to see him."

TAGs one and all!!

(Addy, Ameri was our medic for a long time. Feel free to create your own healing scene. She's very, very good, and a perfect match with Tea for getting you back on your feet.)

(Everyone else - this place is cool, dark and steeped in peace. The nuns are now much nicer than they were before, and there is little to fear here. Enjoy!)

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:33 pm

If a cat could smile whilst licking up cream and devouring the canary at the same time, Averroes could have out shone it by an order of magnitude.

“I’m sorry,” he said in a voice that clearly said he was not at all, his fingers beginning to flick across keys and controls set before him “If I had known how much the subject pained you I’d have given it nary a thought. Heaven forfend I insult or insinuate any meaning on the various actions and emotive responses you provide to me in a single meeting: the nervous motherly protection you know not what do you with, so you blanket it across this crew and ship. The way your eyes keep flickering to the edges of doorways and passages, as though seeing some small child like figure in the periphery of your vision. I’m shocked no one else has thought to comment on it, which is why I thought it a safe subject to bring up. Silly me..”

He held up a hand to silence any sort of response.

“Do not take my words as some sort of jab or prying act of the morbidly curious. It has been to my own credit that I see the small details of a person’s actions and merely extrapolate backwards to their root cause. Why I could tell you a few state secrets of the Russian Demarchy that were proven true by a single tick of a Czar’s left eyebrow!” he chortled, before a soft melodic chirping noise began to fill the air “And now, for your drinking and dining pleasure, I request your silence I am trying to work.”

The chirping continued for a moment longer and then was cut off by a bark of static. There were sounds, the sort anyone would recognise had they been awoken in the middle of the night. That was one of the problems with life in space: time might be universal between the stars and planets, but below the clouds there were a confusing knot of time zones and diurnal patterns to adhere to.

“Do you have any idea-” the voice that was soon to be cut off was obviously belonging to a man born to the upper crust of Londinum society. There was no image attached to the communication, but the face that sprung to Lu’s mind would be well bred, sculpted to within an inch of recognition by close family, and richer than Midas after he had run around his palace with sticky fingers. That sort of wealth brought power, respect, and probably a seat at the table of corporations or even the Alliance Parliament.

“-of who I am talking to Forth Minister Garson? I’m a Philosopher, Minister: I know all things worth knowing. As you will know.” Averroes said, his voice losing the usual sing song laziness of a bored house cat, now betraying the foil of weapon grade alloy that support it “You are still Forth Minster of Trans-Orbital Affairs Londinum yes? Unless you’ve been very unlucky and been prompted to Second or First, I can only imagine you’re still enjoying the arrangement I provided to you? After all a man in your position has access to many means of redirecting information for his own gain. Who lands, who doesn’t land, and more importantly who or what they are carrying. Tell me the years have been good to you Garson. Tell me my favourite fatted calf has gorged well upon the teat of moral corruption that is the old stomping ground of Londinum?”

There was silence on the other end of the line, the shallow breathing indicative of a man not sure if he were awake or gripped by some vicious waking nightmare.

“What-”

“Do I want? Excellent Garson! You’re still where I need you, and you know better than to dicker over the finer points that might see your usefulness come to a rather tragic end. Much as it did for your predecessor, just after our first meeting.” He chuckled “You know, come to think of it, I always imagine the word ‘wet work’ conjuring up the image of a man being struck by a bus. But then again it was always such a dicey thing going out of your front door, especially during a time of war with the Independence insurrectionists being so…creative with their assassinations. But you need not fear, I only require a simple act on your behalf. Two really, but only one needs your official oversight.”

“An-and they are?” came back the slightly trembling voice of the Third Minister.

“I require a landing corridor and docking space for a light transport, Firefly class you know the type: little rough around the edges, might need a new lick of paint and spare parts. I’m sure you can arrange such things, kept quiet and off official channels. I don’t really care how you do it, but I’d much rather that no one from the old school know I had returned to the old place, or where I’d parked my ship.” He cooed “And the second thing, the thing I am sure you can do far more quietly than arranging us to fly under a false flag, is that I require a meeting with Fox. You two still share a bed yes?”

By bed he had meant mutual interests in what cargos did and did not exist on Londinum and in the local space around the capitol world. But any chance to rub the ever so righteous and morally conservative Minister the wrong way was merely quality assurance test. After all it had been ten years since the end of the war, things had changes, fashioned altered, and should the Minster decide suddenly he did not need to fear the man who had given him a helping hand on the way up…

Well finding red buses on Londinum to throw people under wasn’t exactly hard, now was it?

“We…have understandings.” The voice sound cautious, but resigned “I can meet your needs. It will take me some time-”

“We’ll be making orbit of Londinum in a few days. I’ll send a wave when we’re in need of coordinates to land, have one of your junior flunkies waiting with my invitation to Fox’s table. Oh and you know my size and taste’s, I’m sure your tailor can see me clear to a couple of changes of good clothes?” he reached out to cut the link “Just remember that I make a better friend than a short lived enemy Minister, and I’ll be out of your hair in no time. Send my regards to your wife and mistress. Tell them I miss them terribly.”

The connection was cut smoothly, and Averroes leaned back in his seat and smiled at Lu.

“You may applaud if you wish, and if you’re lucky one day you two might have a secret or three to hold over someone’s head like the proverbial sword of Damocles.” He grinned at Lu “Maybe I should have asked for the good man’s tailor to see you all to a finer change of clothing, if you’re going to palling around with me soon enough.”

TAG-Lu

Averroes
Is that really his name?

Jake Sjet

Postby Kris » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 am

The conversation Lu had listened to was...interesting...to say the least.

“You may applaud if you wish, and if you’re lucky one day you two might have a secret or three to hold over someone’s head like the proverbial sword of Damocles.” He grinned at Lu “Maybe I should have asked for the good man’s tailor to see you all to a finer change of clothing, if you’re going to palling around with me soon enough.”

"We have our own comfort level when it comes to clothing, don't try to change it. I will admit that I'm...slightly...impressed about the connections you have. Most of those people wouldn't bat an eye at us. I guess letting you on board was an alright decision."

She stuck the ship onto auto pilot and stood up, waiting for Averroes to leave.

"You can't be up here when no one else is, I do know that much. I suppose I should say thank you for getting us what we needed, and probably more than that. But you might as well get some rest while you can."

Tag- Averroes.

----------

The landing was rather quiet, and Lu didn't like the look on Kynthia's face, but had a feeling she knew what it was there for.

Staying quiet, she followed along with Kynthia as they came up to someone who she was honestly surprised to see: Ameri.

Seeing her made Lu smile, and the fact that she was still willing to help out the crew was nice to hear. It was then that she mentioned Reverend Joshua and it took her a moment to remember who that actually was: Chuy Lo.

"Kynthia, you need me to come too? Else I can stay with the ship."

Tag - Kynthia
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:55 pm

"Kynthia, you need me to come too? Else I can stay with the ship." Asked Lu, hovering in the doorway. Kynthia turned and motioned her forward.

"Come on into the cool Lu. I think the ship will be fine." She turned back and walked into the shadowed entrance way. The floor was tiled in such a way that it was cool underfoot, and the decision had been made many, many years before not to have windows to the outside within, so that the heat of the day was forced to stay outside. Glimmering small lights hung in sconces and stained glass containers, creating an image of peace.

Kynthia took one look at Ameri and flung her arms around the young woman standing before her. "You're safe!" was all she could exclaim. "I thought you hated this place.."

Ameri looked sheepish, and shrugged. "When it became obvious that I wasn't going to stay on the ship I knew that I had to go somewhere and do something else. So, I contacted The Reverend and came here. It's different now. A real haven, instead of hell brought to life. Come in, you're letting in the heat."

Ameri led them lower into the complex. Last time they'd been here, terrified women had stared at them from their imposed prayers and chores. Now there was a quiet murmur of conversation and laughter. In the distance, voices were raised in song. Ameri looked comfortable and happy. It was .. so very different.

Finally, they reached a heavy door. Ameri knocked upon it, and pushed it open. Kynthia remembered this office and the woman who had ruled with terror and pain from within. Last time, it was not possible to just open the door, it had been necessary to wait until you were summoned.

Kynthia stepped in, with an odd flutter of her heart when she saw the man standing there. He was no smaller, no prettier.. but he had a peace around him that she'd never seen before. And this man was someone who she'd known most of her life in one form or another. She walked over to him, and smiled. This was right in an indescribable way. She supposed that had her life been different, she too would have ended up in a place like this, perhaps still working with him.

"Joshua" she said quietly.

"Eden." He replied, with a deep smile that twisted at the edges. He took her hands in his and simply held them. "You look well."

"Running a ship is working for me." She said. "Running a monastery is working for you."

Hearing someone clear their throat behind her, she let go of his hands, turned to the left and motioned them in.

"Reverend Joshua Long, I think you remember Lucille? This is Averroes, and we have someone on the way to the infirmary with our medic. His name is Addy. Her's is.. Teagan."

To his credit, Joshua didn't quite feel the floor tilt underneath him, but he certainly felt the same flutter in his heart as Kynthia had when she saw him again. Their team.. complete and back together again. It was either a sign of the gods, or.. the most terrible thing to happen since the War. He kept his thoughts to himself, though his mind raced. Judgement, Execution and their personal medic. The three. In one place. She's alive.. Teagan is alive.

TAG - All

((Addy, feel free to start coming round if you wish!!! ))

(( For an idea of who you're looking at, go here, and check out The Big Man and Adendum immediately beneath. It's important to know what he looks like..))

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:34 pm

Lu followed along behind Kynthia and watched around them as they walked. Seeing Ameri looking completely different, but a good different, made her smile. There wasn't much that got her smiling lately. Deep down, she was still worried about her son, but also knew that it wasn't safe for him out where they were. She was just sad that she hadn't heard from Ryan or Gavyn and it tugged at her.

Once they got to the door and stepped inside, another small smile crossed her face when she saw who was on the other side. It was hard to think of anyone by a different name than she had called them at one point, but this was one person she had to do just that with.

"Reverend Joshua Long, I think you remember Lucille?

Lu nodded to him and simply stood to one side of the room, looking around more. Her mind was elsewhere, even though at that moment it really shouldn't be. She did notice how he acted when Kynthia had mentioned Teagan. Though she never gave a second thought to him calling Kynthia by Eden. There wasn't much for her to say at that point, more just to listen.
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:14 pm

The next time Addy opened his eyes. He remembered what happened and instantly lifted his hand to his throat. The sly smile came as he felt the stitches. He knew the woman that he once called friend had saved his life by her precise knife work. The sly medic had also done a good job of stitching the wound. He sat up and almost passed out. The world when black for a moment. The sly smile came again. He had lost a lot of blood but he was alive. The Infirmary was empty. He looked around before swinging his legs off the table and carefully stood waiting for a moment for the spinning to stop.

Tags anyone on the ship
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jake Sjet » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Fresh baked cookies, straight from the oven and every so gooey.
That rush of rich scented steam arising from cooling back of a baker’s loaf.
The heavenly aroma of earth freshly beaten by the rains tender mercies.

The air of the convent was all of these things and more to the man called Averroes. Of course it was not the sweet smells arising from the small kitchen that fed the happy and glad hearted souls of the nuns. His was a mind not fuelled by a stomach stoked by food and libations. His was the mind of a predator, like a canny wolf or ever so thoughtful spider: his stomach was fed a diet of clever mischief and bloody deeds, and was now lean and ever so hungry.

And the sundered trusts, and the wails of lost innocents’ that stained the clean walls of the convent as indelibly as any old home, Averroes was growing drunk on the scent.

He followed Ky and Lu as they were lead through the corridors ands and halls, past open doors on cheery scenes of learning and mental repair. His eyes were hooded, his steps measured and paced by a metronome’s meter, as he simply absorbed the pain and terror that had once been all these walls knew. This was not a state mind a healthy, well-adjusted mind would find agreeable: the fact that the walls ran with such an echo of past grievances spoke well of the goodly natures of the convents previous victims.

But Averroes was not in possession of a healthy, well-adjusted mind. He was a broken, jagged things fit only to cut and cause anguish. He had been made that way, and whilst not born to it he could imagine no life other than the one he lived. So he played along with Ky, allowing her the falsehood of the lie that she was not as broken as he.

A knife was a knife, no matter how much butter you allowed to melt on it.

“Reverend Long.” The blonde haired devil smiled, took a step closer than the others, and reached out his hands. He took the Reverends hand in his own, encompassing it in a double handed grip as he shook it firmly. He held the hand a fraction to long, the pressure of his grip slightly to tight for simple greetings.

“I’m something of a fan of your work.” He admitted coyly, cocking his head slightly to indicating Ky “Bumped into Ky quite by accident, but then again so many things in the universe are meant to be and played up as happy coincidence. I like to think there’s meaning to randomness and chaos, wouldn’t you agree being a man with a Higher Power to answer to?”

He released the hand, and took a step back as for a split second the mask of civility dropped. Joshua saw it, and the mask was raised back up again before anyone else could make a measure of it. Dead cold eye, not warped by death or the witnessing of atrocities, but born to a sickness of the mind that had names like sociopath.

Were they eyes he recognized from his past, or from his mirror?

TAG-All meeting the reverant. I was away with family, so Averroes got chatty on the drive home.

Averroes
Sweeney Todd's No1 Fanboy!

Jake Sjet

Postby Tavey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 pm

To his credit, the Big Man did not flinch, nor try to overdo his handshake. "A fan." He mused quietly. "I am right glad that my work here has gotten some notice." He did allow his eyes to show that he'd seen the mask vanish on the man in front of him.

A killer. And what else... There would be time enough to explore that, should the need arise.

"You must be parched. I hear it is still a very warm place outside during the day. Come. Let us get a drink of water."

TAG

Joshua Long motioned towards the door, wanting nothing more than to shoo out the strangers, and keep his friends close. It was then that he noticed Lucille standing in the room. A broad smile (or what passed for it) immediately lit his face and he hurried over to her. He reached out and tugged her into a bone crushing hug. "Lu. How are you?" He asked, holding her away from him and looking her up and down. "Look like you ain't been eating. Let's get that taken care of too."

TAG - Lu

Kynthia assumed that there would be time to chat, and followed the others along the passageway. She'd noticed how fast Joshua had deflected Averroes, and wondered why. What exactly had happened between the two in that moment. And a fan? That had her more worried than just about anything the stranger on the ship had said or done.

She rubbed her forehead, as she still did whenever her brain hurt trying to wrap herself around all of this sort of stuff.

Meanwhile, Addy found himself awakening in an unfamiliar medical room. Teagan was busy cleaning some instruments, and another young woman was finishing a dressing. She smiled as his eyes fluttered open.

"Greetings. Welcome to Leviathan." Said Ameri, gently as always. "How do you feel?"

TAGs one and all!

http://img3.photographersdirect.com/img ... 012937.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LOpbWIPseDg/S ... usw595.jpg
http://www.gods-inc.de/macavity/shadowr ... church.jpg
http://www.palisse.co.uk/USERIMAGES/tom3(1).jpg
(Some ideas of that the place looks like)

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:45 pm

Joshua Long motioned towards the door, wanting nothing more than to shoo out the strangers, and keep his friends close. It was then that he noticed Lucille standing in the room. A broad smile (or what passed for it) immediately lit his face and he hurried over to her. He reached out and tugged her into a bone crushing hug. "Lu. How are you?" He asked, holding her away from him and looking her up and down. "Look like you ain't been eating. Let's get that taken care of too."

Lu was glad for the hug from Joshua, no matter how tight it was. It wasn't very often that she got hugs anymore, and she missed them.

"I've been eating just...a lot on my mind. Maybe I ain't been taking care of myself too well."

She looked around and saw a communications station and thought for a minute before heading over to it. She wasn't sure why, but now that they were safe, she wanted to make sure that the rest of her family was safe. Last she knew, Belladonna had them, and apparently was keeping them safe. But since her fallout with Belladonna (or rather, lack of keeping up her end of the deal and reporting on Kynthia and the ship) there was no way of knowing whether or not they were still safe.

Lu knew that Gavyn had his own communications line for when he was working, though it might be shut down if they were in hiding. She didn't dare try to talk to Belladonna to see if they were safe, that would be a regrettable conversation. More than likely though, they were still in the same place, and all she could do was try.

Realizing that she didn't have an exact location, all she could do was try her old home. They might have been able to go back there once things appeared safe. Hitting a few of the buttons, she got a blank screen of the small living room that looked worse than when they left. Items were thrown everywhere, including items that were packed away when Gavyn and Ryan went to stay with Belladonna. Something wasn't right.

The items weren't thrown around like they were trying to find things while packing, but more like they were searched through in trying to find a certain item.

Cutting the channel, Lu stared at the blank screen for a moment before following out into the passageway. The color had drained from her face for fear of her family, but she also knew that they were there for other reasons besides just trying to stay safe. There wasn't a reason to worry anyone right now, though those that knew her well enough would more than likely know something was going on just by the look on her face.

"Something was mentioned about food," she asked, trying to go back to what they had been discussing earlier.

Tags!
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Addy looked at the woman with confusion then relaxed a little to the the familiar face cleaning . "Wasn't I already on Leviathan when, I got..." his hand instinctively moved up to indicate the the freshly dressed neck wound. He looked at the woman that was intently looking at him. "You are?" He started to stand and then realized that it would be a very bad idea.

Ameri touched a hand to his shoulder. "I am Ameri and you have lost a lot of blood."

"She wanted it that way. She wanted to remind me that she was always slightly better. He laid backdown on the table. If she had wanted be dead, I would be." The hand on his shoulder removed itself. He sighed and closed his eyes. He turned his head just enough to catch Teagan in the corner of his eye. "Fine job you two did on on..." his hand went back to up to his neck again. "Wonder how the scar is gonna turn out."

tags Teagan

Ameri was doing something to his arm and his eyes grew heavy. "Back to the dark.." Addy murmured as he fell asleep.

tags
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Tavey » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:08 pm

A few days later, and the crew of The Monarch were feeling more settled, and healed from their various ills. Ameri and Teagan had become close friends, which was a smidge disquieting to Kynthia especially as they were bugging her to get her head examined properly again.

Damn those bloody headaches!

Chuy Lo had spirited himself away to do whatever it was that people who ran convents did. Kynthia ruefully concluded that their relationship had changed so much now that it was almost alien to think that they'd once been the most feared church sanctioned assassins in the 'Verse. Still, she found a rifle range deep in the hidden corridors of the convent and had spent no small amount of time there letting her mind be free from worry. She became positively cheerful around the edges.

Addy woke up and was getting himself back in order. He had been ordered by two very determined medics to get back into shape.

TAG - Addy

Kynthia had no idea what Averroes was up to. Some of the nuns had begun giggling when he was nearby, which she tried very hard not to think about.

TAG Averroes

Lucille worried Kynthia, and in the end she decided to find the woman and dig out of her what was bothering her so. It took a day, but Ky finally tracked Lu down in the vast library complex of the convent. She was looking at a small screen, which she covered up when Ky walked up to her.

"Enough of the silent treatment." Stated Kynthia bluntly as soon as she saw Lu. "You got something bugging you, an' I want to know what it is."

TAG - Lucille

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:14 pm

"Enough of the silent treatment." Stated Kynthia bluntly as soon as she saw Lu. "You got something bugging you, an' I want to know what it is."

Of course, it had crossed Lu's mind that she wasn't going to be able to keep things secret forever, though it was her wish to not involve the others in the issues of her own family. But when Kynthia had pretty much cornered her in the library, there wasn't much she was going to be able to do and uncovered the screen.

"My family, away from the ship. That's what's buggin' me. I can't fine 'em anywhere. None of the old hideouts Gavyn and I used to use, nothing back at our place."

She turned the screen to show Kynthia the images.

"This has me worried though. The place you picked me up from, it's been ransacked. Things pulled out that shouldn't be because they were hidden away. And..."

Lu zoomed in on one area of the screen.

"...Someone struggled here. Only person it could have been was Gavyn, and there's blood on the wall there. I doubt very much Belladonna would have done this to the place. I...I need to know where they are, Kynth. I need to know my son is safe."

Tag - Kynthia
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 am

Kynthia frowned and sat down beside Lu to peer at the screen. She nodded slowly, looking over the damage and the patterns.

"Looks like he put up a goodly amount of struggle. I'll talk to Chuy Lo, and we'll get ourselves off to find them. Feel like talking to Belladonna?" She asked, touching the screen here and there, zooming in on some parts, and pulling back for others.

"Where was they held Lu? We can go there first, take a peek."

TAG - Lu

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby popcornman » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm

JP Between Averroes and Addy

"Oh get up! If you’re going to mewl on the ground every time someone jabs you in your stab wound, you'll not last a moment outside of my care. Pain is good for you, it's your body’s way of telling you that something is very wrong. But you can ignore it. Now up, or so help me I'll find a very nice pair of steel toe caps to motivate you."

Addy wondered how this man had gotten so good. Addy had been forced to practice fencing as a child. But he was finding out that fencing against someone who was not playing by the "rules," was very different.

"You tripped me." Addy spat as he stood again. He leveled his prized bastard sword. His own katana came down to challenge him. He wondered when he had given Averroes the very sharp blade.

"I do not believe the good medics nor the captain will be happy if you reopen the scar." Addy waited for the man's first move.

“And yet, when you face your opponent on the field of battle, where all your fanciful rules and etiquettes are left off to one side…will they stand by your definition of honour, or their own?” Averroes purred, walking slowly around Addy as the sword swung lazily in a spun arc like a child might toy with a hoop. Then like a breeze in the evening he turned, facing Addy and delivered a punishing series of hip to shoulder slashes that saw katana and sword sing together “Or will you beg like some mewling pet to die in your sleep or fight like a man!”

This exclamation point was brought to Addy’s attention when, on the last upward stroke of the slashing attack, Averroes tuned the sword about and stepped forward. He then planted the hilt of the katana under Addy’s chin with enough force to send the man of his face and backwards. Before the other man could land on the deck of the cargo bay Averroes had turned, pacing back to the traditional fencers starting spot ten paces apart from his opponent. He held the sword out at a right angle to his body, admiring the play of light against the blade.

“I do like this sword,” he whispered, his eyes taken off of Addy as he spoke reverently “Hiroshi Tenaka, an artist of a dying art. His steel is the finest sword smith in the Alliance. Simply holding this blade is tremendously nostalgic for me.”

Addy chose that moment to move. The attack came as natural as drinking water. The bastard sword swung with deceptive speed at Averroes. The arch was changed halfway through as Addy's hand drew in. "One really should be doing this with foils so someone does not get hurt."

Avverroes did his level best not to giggle at that, honestly he did.

The parry from his opponent did not suprise him in the least. Averroes was better than Addy had expected when the man had offered to teach him a thing or two. Although his tactics may be questionable at be in a true duel, real life was far different than a duel.

"And that sword was won in a card game. And... No you can't have it." He parried the next blow neatly and returned with a counter of his own.

Avverroes lazily swatted the blow aside with his borrowed sword, but continued the motion in a curving arc. Addy's sword was drawn into the spiraling motion, the two blades quickly speeding up as they formed the flanks of two sharpened steel cones held end to end between then. The with a flick the spy or assassin who had wandered onto the Monarch in rags sent Addy's sword off to the left.

The blade of the won katana was held under Addy's chin to stop him from going to retreieve his weapon.

"Huum...I think, perhaps, we should look back upon the deal struck between us." he said, cold eyes glinting as hard as the folded steel of the blade "You agree to lend me this sword to aid in teaching you the finer points of not bleeding about like a seize. We shook upon, as I recall. And until I-"

He raised the tip of the katana slightly, pressing Addys chin up gently.

"-am convinced you will not make a supreme embarrassment of yourself, I will hold onto it. A sword crafted by the hands of Hiroshi himself is not fit to be held by anyone who does not respect it enough: and you need to learn that hard won respect." then his eyes shifted slightly, the sword whipping back and behind him in a haze of motion, the scabbard it had been held within minutes before barely making a sound as he sheathed it.

"I wasn't going to take his head off." he said to the new comer into the cargo bay "Honest."

Tags
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Kris » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Lu shook her head, "I'd have to talk to Belladonna. But, since I didn't report on you like she was originally wanting, she might not be willing to talk to me."

She sat back and looked at the screens, "Last I knew, they were there. Gavyn gave me the codes to access the cameras so I could watch Ryan, even though they couldn't talk to me or know I was watching. After we got here, I hadn't had a chance to check until a few days ago. I tried his personal communicator but it is a dead line now."

With a sigh, she continued, "I don't want to put you all in possible danger if you come with me. I can go and do this alone, I'd just need one of the shuttles. You all stay here and relax as much as you can."

In the back of her head, Lucille knew the argument wasn't going to fly, but at the same time, she had to try it.

Tag - Kynthia
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:37 am

Kynthia looked at Lu strangely after that comment. She stood up abruptly staring at something Lu couldn't see, and probably never would see.

"If you will excuse me," Ky said in a way that was not her usual manner, though Joshua Long would have recognized it immediately. "I shall indeed keep your words in my mind whilst I think upon what to do." Kynthia turned and left, just as abruptly as she had stood.

About two hours later, Joshua Long found her sitting in the vast water cavern deep below the convent.

"Eden?" he asked gently, making his way to the lone candle she'd lit to keep her company. "Lucille was concerned."

Kynthia did not turn to look his way, nor acknowledge even his presence. She looked out over the underground lake, at the dim reflections rippling upon its surface. Joshua came to sit beside her in silence. As he lowered himself to sit with her, he noted that she was sitting in a postion that they had been taught back in the training school. She was praying, and he could not but think that it was the first time in ten years.

"I don't want to leave." Said Eden, in Eden's voice. Joshua's heart thudded. "I am content here Josh. With you, and Merry. I am content. Why should I have to leave?"

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Firefly: Monarch