Alchemy.

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Alchemy.

Postby Tavey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:01 pm

“An operative?” She hadn’t heard of someone being one of those in quite some time, and to now hear that her friend and captain, Kynthia was...or rather had been...one of them was a surprise. It explained the name change. Glancing at Kynthia then back to Sharply, Lu sighed, “You’re wanting to use her again to carry out something you’ve got no one on your end that you trust enough to use?”

"Not quite like that Lu. Not Alliance, for all they're using one of those ugly ass ships. But not Alliance. This is the Order of St Michaels, come back from the dead. I was an assassin. Nothin' more."

Sharply shook his head. "Your words belie the good you have wrought in the name of the lord Execution."

"Is enough." Kynthia's voice didn't take a harsh tone. She didn't raise her voice. But Sharply paled as if she was a drill sergeant snapping in his face.

Lu looked at the dossier as Kynthia picked it up, “Sounds like it isn’t best for a whole ship full of people to show up there, it’d cause too much attention.” Scooting her chair over, she looked over the information as well, “This isn’t someone I’d normally see in a kill order, and trying to make sure others don’t know we are there?” Lu sat back and looked at Kynthia, “This doesn’t sound like a job for a ship, but for one or two people.”

It was then that she looked at Sharply again, “If this is only a one or two person operation, why take everyone off the ship and separate us into different rooms?”

"Oh that's simple. The others aren't to know you are going there to take care of business. If I had my way, you wouldn't be in this room at all. You drop in at nightfall and have until the following morning to deal with the situation. Or you return the following night. You don't want to be caught on planetside during the day."

Sharply looked at the camera in the corner of the room and then smiled. "Oh, and you get to take a passenger with you. We'll bring him to the ship when you're ready to take off. "

TAG - Lu.

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby teagan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Teagan tried desperately to control the shaking in her hands as the officers of the Alliance more or less dragged them onto their ship. It smelt wrong. The lights were too harsh. She hated it.

"I'm not important. Please don't.. please!" she begged as they threw her into a cold white room. She walked around the edges of the room, trying not to cry and flinching at every strange noise.

As soon as the door opened, she whipped around to stare at the woman who entered.

"Please let me go. I ain't done nuffin'."

With a deep sigh, the officer sat down and pointed at the other seat across the table from her. "Sit down and answer these questions. Then you may be returned to your ship."

"You said may, not will." Teagan sat anyway, trembling.

"How long have you been on The Monarch?"

"Um.. about three months or so. I am the medic onboard."

"So not long enough to really care about the crew?"

"They're good enough I suppose. Why?"

"No reason. Tell me more about yourself."

Teagan talked for about half an hour before the officer stood up suddenly and nodded. "I see. Well. Wait here, someone will be in to get you then."

Once she was alone again, Teagan curled up in a corner of the room to wait.
Teagan O'Rourke The Monarch.

Lt. JG Teagan Ceja. Assistant Intelligence Officer. The Ark Royal. ( retired )
teagan
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby Kris » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 am

“So no one else on board is going to know why we are there, and they can’t go off the ship during the day? Oh this should be all kinds of fun,” Lu stated in a sarcastic tone. She still couldn’t believe that they were being put into a mission like this, though only she and Kynthia knew what was actually going to be happening.

Sighing to herself, she looked over at Kynthia, “Up to you if you want to go in alone or have me help you. As much as I don’t like this type of thing, if it brings in cashey-money, I won’t complain about it…too much.”

She looked back over at Sharply, she wasn’t sure she liked him too much, “Or are you expecting her to go in alone anyway? It’s not like I’m unable to actually help, I do know a bit about going after people.”

Tag: Sharply/Kynthia
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Jacen Hawkins » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:15 pm

"Mr. Hansen."

He looked up to see a too-young crewman standing on the other side of the table. The ship's mess hall was bustling, with crew from the first watch mulling about on their lunch break.

"Mr. Hansen, sir," he corrected, straightening himself into as tight a semblance of attention as he could muster given his nervousness.

"You wanna say my name again?" he asked, his fingers gingerly twirling a glass on the tabletop. It left a small circle of condensation on the metal table. "Out loud, where anybody with ears can hear it?"

The young man bristled. His eyes widened. "No sir," he said quickly. "Sorry, sir."

"Never be sorry, kid," Josiah Hansen told him, regarding him coolly, without emotion. After a moment, he tossed the rest of his drink back. "But it'd be right smart of you not to do it again, else our next talk might not be so pretty. Dong le ma?"

"Yes sir."

Hansen rested his elbows on the table, interlacing his fingers as he continued to study the boy in silence. His lips drew together tightly in patient consideration. "Was there something you wanted to tell me?" he finally asked.

"Yes sir. Sor--" the crewman sputtered. "Yes sir. Lieutenant Sharply asked me to fetch you, sir."

"Well," Hansen nodded cordially, "consider me fetched."
Jacen Hawkins
Officer Candidate
Officer Candidate

Postby popcornman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:39 pm

Addy looked at the man and wondered if he knew. He wondered how it was possible that they did not want to know about him, his brother. Addy was not surprised by the private suddenly turning up the heat. It did however flip the switch from the worry back to the calm and patient. "I would not do that." Addy cocked his head and measured the man. The shoulder of the right shoulder drifted below the left, head had a slight lean to one side. Addy knew what the man didn't and knew that in a fight, the man had little chance. "I would not do that again." Addy said. "and I would ask the captain, I am sure she is in a room almost identical to this one." Addy knew that it was probably the same, but with one major difference. The man in this room was weak, he probably did not even know it. Addy gave a glimpse of a smile as his came back to level on his shoulders, and he knew that the fight would be easy, but he still needed a plan afterward.

tags
SLA Personnel Chair

Commander Rory Shannon - XO USS Pegasus, Into the Breach - Retired
popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jacen Hawkins » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Josiah Hansen strolled leisurely down the corridor. His pace was casual enough that the young man in the uniform kept glancing nervously back over his shoulder to ensure that he was still with him.

Hansen's gait was smooth and light. His eyes nonchalantly scanned each doorway, quietly sized up each member of the crew as they passed. His right hand never wandered far from his right hip as they rounded yet another corner.

The youngster pulled to a halt before him and gestured toward a door labeled Interrogation Room 4. "After you, sir. Lieutenant Sharply's waiting."

"Oh, I insist," Hansen said, favoring him with a passively raised eyebrow as he gestured toward the otherwise nondescript door, "after you."

The uniformed man's adam's apple bobbed in a poorly concealed gulp. "Sir," his voice cracked slightly as he gave a quick nod. He reached forward and opened the door, then hurriedly stepped inside.

A table and four chairs were the only furnishings in the room. Sharply occupied one chair. Across the table from him sat two women. Hansen regarded each of them for a moment before nodding for the younger man to leave. "Lieutenant Sharply." He tipped a nonexistent hat to each of the women. "Ma'am. Ma'am."

Tag: Sharply/Kynthia/Lu
Jacen Hawkins
Officer Candidate
Officer Candidate

Postby popcornman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Addy waited for his moment. He was not sure of anything anymore. What was the captain doing? Was the captain alive? Was anyone alive? He would not leave without anyone living, anyone of his new family. He watched the private, who was still trying to get him to talk. The man had sat down. He was saying something about how if Addy gave information the judge would go easy on him for smuggling and blah, blah, blah, blah. Addy just looked at the table through his hair, the corners of his lips just tugging a smile.

Suddenly the private slammed his hands down on the table and stood. "Look at me when I talk to you," frustration clear on his face. When Addy did not respond he walked around the table to force the man to look at him.

Addy looked at the table waiting for. Addy did not even blink when the man slammed his hands down on the table. He was waited. He knew what he would have to do. It would be risky.

tbd

tags
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Tavey » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Kynthia stared at the man who had entered the room. She looked at him carefully... so this was the person that Sharply wanted them to take onboard the ship was it?

"I'm Captain Kynthia Talland. Who are you?" she asked blunt as ever, and also making it clear to Sharply that any other name was not to be mentioned at this time.

"An' where are we to be taking you?" She added a moment later.

TAG - Josiah

Sharply caught the moment and nodded slightly to let her know that he was aware of the change. He sat back down opposite Lu and talked to her instead.

"You're the First Mate then?" he asked. "Right. Well.. I can give you exact coordinates for the location of the planet, and more importantly, the area that is best for you to land the ship. The daytime temperatures on Leviathan are somewhat excessive and will most likely cause the interior of the ship to become almost impossible to endure. The locals, such as they are, live in underground tunnels."

He paused, thinking for a moment.

"Or have you been there already?"

TAG - Lu

Meanwhile, the man who was getting more upset with Addy was beginning to turn a lovely shade of angry red. "I said LOOK AT ME!" he yelled suddenly, inches away from Addy's face.

TAG - Addy

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jacen Hawkins » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:28 am

"An' where are we to be taking you?" She added a moment later.

Hansen scrutinized each woman impassively for a moment. "Haven," he answered simply. He didn't elaborate. His business on the mining world was his own. "'Til then, just gimme a room and I'll stay outta your hair."

He turned his attention to the uniformed man. "Arrangements made, Mr. Sharply?"

Tag: Sharply/Kynthia/Lu
Jacen Hawkins
Officer Candidate
Officer Candidate

Postby Kris » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:20 am

Lu raised an eyebrow at Sharply as she listened to what he was saying.

"You're the First Mate then?" he asked. "Right. Well.. I can give you exact coordinates for the location of the planet, and more importantly, the area that is best for you to land the ship. The daytime temperatures on Leviathan are somewhat excessive and will most likely cause the interior of the ship to become almost impossible to endure. The locals, such as they are, live in underground tunnels."

He paused, thinking for a moment.

"Or have you been there already?"

Catching the last bit, she simply shook her head, “Not to my recollection. I figure I’d remember a planet you couldn’t land a ship on without boiling.” She tapped her fingers on the table. “So how’re you expecting us to keep the reset of the crew in the dark when they are boiling on the surface? We can’t very well leave them on the ship.”

Her eyes switched over to the other man in the room, the one they were taking with them. She didn’t mention anything to him, but only kept an eye on him. She wasn’t a fan of being told they had to take people places. And of all the places that this person wanted to go, it was to Haven.

Tags-Kynthia, Sharply, Josiah
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:50 pm

He turned his attention to the uniformed man. "Arrangements made, Mr. Sharply?"

"Arrangements made. The Captain here has her.. recompense for us taking her out of her way. And you've got a berth. I trust that will be all?" Sharply's eyebrows rose slightly as if to underscore that he was completely done with this.

Which he was. A moment later he walked from the room. Kynthia leaned back in her chair and whistled.

"Wellllll... this is a new one." She looked at Lu and then at the newcomer. "Don't know what your story is, hope you can fire a gun."

She got to her feet and tested the door, which opened easily. The soldier outside looked startled and then slapped a salute so crisply that it almost made Kynthia's ears ache with how it sounded.

"Uh. yes. Thanks. Where are my people and where is my SHIP?" she suddenly roared at the young man.

TAG - all (any who want to hear.. that is)..

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby popcornman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:27 pm

Addy was waiting for this moment. The man was only an inch from his face. It was a bad move by the guys part. Addy had thought the man would poke him in the chest but this is so much better. Addy moved before the private could react. Addy's left hand hit the man in the throat.

The private's eyes bugged out of his head with surprise of the action and the horror of the inability of breath. This hands were on the table and now under him. Addy sidestepped the man and his hand hit the man in the shoulder neatly dislocating it. Addy then grabbed the pistol and removed it from the holster.

Addy moved to the door the pistol in his hand he did not know what to do next. He didn't turn as the man whose wind pipe he had just crushed fell over and would be dead soon if he did not get medical help. Addy wanted to get his family out if he could but where to start.

tags
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby popcornman » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:31 pm

As he stood there contemplating what to do a noise and his conscience got the better of him. He turned and moved to the man on the floor. The man was still struggling but the hypoxic state as taking its toll. Addy knelt down and looked at the man who was pleading for his life with his eyes. "I told you to do that."

Addy only took moments work through the man's pockets. He found what he was looking for and with only a moment of disassembling had a halo cylinder in his fingers. "This is going to hurt... probably a lot." Addy carefully found the place under the mostly crushed Adam's' apple and slammed the cylinder into the just above the cricoid cartilage. The man tried to scream. Then his face changed as air was able get into the screaming lungs. Addy looked around again and grabbed the man's I.D. card and was back to the door. He looked around and slide. He was out in the corridor. New goal find the others.

Tags all
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Kris » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:39 am

Lu followed Kynthia out of the room, surprised that the door opened as easily as it did. It was obvious that Kynthia was just a little bit annoyed about the whole situation, and frankly, so was she. Why were they doing the dirty work of someone who couldn't handle it? She then caught Addy down a bit further in the hallway and sighed, “I think he just caused us some trouble...”

Leaning against the wall, she simply shook her head at Addy. “You couldn't have just waited a little longer, could you? They were letting us leave actually. Now what did you do?”

Tag-Addy & All
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:14 am

Addy turned and looked shocked as the captain and Lu as walking toward him. He was even more confused about the question Lu posed. "I um... wait, I just had to sit and wait and everything was going to be okay?" He turned toward the door. "I um, he will be fine... with medical care." Then he almost smiled as the relief set in. They were going to be okay and he did not even have to figure out how to save them.

tags
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Tavey » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:58 pm

Kynthia began to chuckle. She nudged the newcomer with her elbow. An officer hurried in, starting to get huffy and officious at the sight of a fallen comrade. Kynthia shook her head slightly.

"Who are you?" demanded the man in front of them. Ky rolled her eyes before replying, boredom in every inch of her body.

"Why is it that I be on one of the ships of St Michael's an' everyone needs to be askin' such a stupid set of words?" she demanded to nobody in particular. Then her voice sharpened. "Ask Sharply. Get out of my way or I'll introduce myself properly, then we'll be seein' who's rightly who."

The officer strode up to Kynthia. His face had turned an odd shade of red and his fists clenched at his side. "Now see here. You are a ragamuffin captain of a freighter that should be on a scrapheap. I am an Officer of the Alliance and a member of the Order of St Michaels. If you don't know who they are, they're the most important church in the 'Verse. Nobo.."

"Is that so?" Kynthia leaned in and whispered something in the man's ear.

"I see. Um. How can I help you Ma'am?"

"I want a full set of provisions. An' not just protein but some real foods too. See to it." Kynthia ordered, enjoying the look on the man's face as he practically ran from them. His comrade lay still on the floor. Sharply returned, eyeing the decked man, then Addy, then Kynthia.

"What happened?"

"See what can happen when I leave them alone too long? I am so proud of my crew. Now, it's time to get back to the ship and off to the next place. We are being paid to get there. An' right nicely too. Let's go."

As they were escorted along the corridors, her mind raced. Leviathan.. of all the forsaken places that they were to go. Ameri had nearly died there. Chuy Lo was the new Abbot and there was a graveyard of bones burned by the sun itself. The memories that curdled in her mind at the thought of returning.

She was glad when they got back onto the ship and into familiar surroundings. Her space. Their space. Briefly, she wondered whether or not to visit Silence. She'd like to see Mavericks grave and pay her respects to the man she nearly had married. See her daughter, if'n her daughter remembered her at all. Such as it was.

"Lu, we're goin' to Leviathan. An' we ain't stoppin' in to see Chuy Lo this time. I got to get my gun out of storage."

That gun. Ten years ago, she'd been found with it clutched in her hand. The one thing that she had from the time before her memory started. These days it was hidden onboard the ship, a silent reminder of her time as one of the top assassins of the church. It was perfect. Weighted for her alone, gleaming black save for a scar along the side of the barrel. One that lined up perfectly with the scar on her head, when she sighted a target. Her gun. The symbol that had broken her relationship with Maverick in the end, since she had not been able to give it up. Her gun... tied up with too many memories and sadnesses..

"Rest of you, let's talk." she said out loud.

TAG - Anyone left on The Monarch!

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:57 am

"Lu, we're goin' to Leviathan. An' we ain't stoppin' in to see Chuy Lo this time. I got to get my gun out of storage."

Lu raised an eyebrow and nodded to Kynthia, then decided to head to the ship. They were getting into things that she really didn’t want to get into, but did they really have a choice? Knowing that they were going to have to be digging into quite a bit of things they weren’t used too, the moment she got back to the ship, she slipped down to her room and started making sure she was stocked up on any ammunition that was needed for her guns.

She heard Kynthia return and popped her head up out of her room. Realizing that all they were doing was talking at that point, she went and left her guns in her room and went to meet up with everyone else. She was curious what was going to be said to the rest of the crew; they really weren’t allowed to know what was happening. How were they going to keep this hidden when they ended up going off the ship with guns strapped to them?

Tags: all
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:29 pm

Addy was not sure what had happened but he did not much care. He was back home. He did not have to fight his way out. He just walked off that evil ship. He was not sure what to do next. That officer was on the ship now. He was not quite sure if he should do the crew a favor and kill him in his sleep and dump him out the airlock, but then what would the captain say. His mind was spinning with this and similar thoughts as he walked to the dining table with his favorite cup. He sipped the coffee from behind the "Baron" lettering. He needed to protect the family, his family and not only did he need to, he would at all costs. He shook his head, his long locks moving freely. "Hey Lu. Coffee's fresh."

tags
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jake Sjet » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:34 pm

“So...this is the end of the road, huum?”

The trio of men stood by the airlock from IAV Jupiter-Gould, its open pressure hatch revealing the warm and worn interior of the Firefly beyond. Two of the men were in Alliance grey and purples, though of two completely different grades. The largest of the two was a heavy set man, of a physically imposing nature with muscles corded around thick bones like steel cables. Hs face was a slab of beef left out in sun tanned and immobile with little but a grimace of varying severity by which emotions could be gauged. He held the stun baton across his chest, one finger lovingly pressing the activation stud just enough to cause the odd spark to fly from its tip. His rank was as low as his brow.

The second man, the leaner and far more frightening figure of the two, bore the trio of gold bands on his cuffs that denoted a captains billet of some kind, but not the forth that spoke of a space going command. He was an oddity to find on a space ship, but here he was with hawk like features and a nose sharp enough to poke an eye out with a brief nod. He held his hands before him, long fingers weaved together in quiet contemplation as he regarded the third member of the gang way welcoming committee.

The third man was, most importantly, in cuffs. He was also, judging by the long frock coat cut in a style that had been all the rage a year ago in the Core, a civilian of means. The threading, whilst threadbare in places, was that of the finest materials money and knowledge could buy. His hair, once combed and maintained, would have been a long mane of silvery locks which now sat tousled and knotted atop his head akin to the Medusa. His fair skinned chin was also fuzzed with new growth, giving him the look of a moneyed individual who was taking the long way home from the party the night before.

He stood smiling lopsidedly at the man in the captains uniform, and held up his cuffed hands. To this the captain smiled and shook his head gently.

“You know, one of these days you’re going to frack up. I have myself that notion, firm in my mind.” The officer said sternly, unlacing his fingers to reveal the RF tag that would unlock the cuffs “It won’t be big or showy, I know you to well to hope for an ending as gloriously public as that. But you’ll end up on camera, or leave some trace evidence behind, and one of your many enemies will use that to hunt you down.”

“I am nearly sure you’re insinuating that I am something other than I appear.” The blonde haired toft said with a grin, before nodding seriously “Of which I know nothing about.”

“And when they do, and if all my good deeds are put forward for a favour from the divine, I’ll be there in the same room as you when the end comes. I want to see the look of shock, of fear in those blue eyes of yours when you realise that all your sins and debts are about to repaid in full. And you can’t bull **** your way out of it, that you are finally in the one corner of the universe you can’t weasel your way out of. It’ll be glorious.” The officer eyed the key for a moment, smiling wistfully “I look forward to that day, I hope you know.”

“And I look forward to disappointing you on a daily basis, when I miss my appointment with the headsman.” He jostled his cuffed hands, letting the binders rattle loudly in the confines of the air lock chamber “Are you going to untie me and introduce me to my new ship mates of convenience? Or shall we speak of the old tales of kings of bygone years?”

“No.”

The officer turned slightly, and with a light under arm throw that any five year old would have been proud of, sent the tag flying through the air lock umbilical to land on the cargo bays grated decking beyond. He nodded in satisfaction, and turned back to the blonde haired lout.

“Key’s are in there. Free and introduce yourself, I won’t be doing your lying for you anymore. I can only hope the captain of this tub is a crazy and heartless bitch, who’ll take one look at you and put two rounds into you, centre mass.” He stepped in close and smiled a razor thin smile, his words slipping into the other mans ears “Because I know, if I see you again, I’ll shoot you myself; warrant or no warrant.”

“Now that doesn’t sound very sporting, now does it?” the other man chided.

“You forgot the rules of the game a long time ago, Averroes. And whilst I follow them to the letter, which allows me only one way to end this conversation honourably, I might start taking a page from your play book and burn the last few chapters.” The officer gave a slight shrug “But we’ll see.”

“Charming.” The other grumbled, turning and offering his cuffed hands to the brute behind him. Smiled up at the crater scared face of the guard, and thrust out both cuffed hands towards his with a smile “Sebastian, its been a delight to meet you again. Parting is such...”

‘Sebastian’ as the guard had been labelled just growled, or grumbled, or might well have in fact rumbled as the stun baton twitched in his hands.

“...sweet sorrow.” The blonde haired man said as he turned about again, eyeing the air lock gang plank. He took one step towards it before halting in mid-step “How am I meant to pay for passage. As I assume the great and bountiful Alliance will not be footing the bill, or opening my accounts any time soon?”

“Just turn on the charm. Works for you 90% of the time, so I’m told.”

“Flatterer.” The toft grumbled, before taking a step onto the gang plank before stopping half way in between,. He cocked his head to one side; tilting it just enough to throw his voice back along the connecting cofferdam “You know, for what it’s worth I’m sorry about New Phoenix. It shouldn’t have happened the way it did, but it did. I’ve moved on, no reason you can’t either.”

“And yet it still did. And they still died. Their blood is on both our hands Averroes, an indelible stain on our souls. I’m trying to make it right, and you...well I still hope for the day I see your head on a spike outside of the Tower of Justice, on Londinium, so I can do this.” The officer smiled grimly, and wiggled his fingers in a far jaunty wave.

His face then darkened, a hand fell to the leather bolster of a fechette pistol on his uniformed hip.

“Until then get off this boat, the Alliance Navy is through shuttling you around Averroes. Next time you get in a bind; do us all the decency of redacting your commission, and submitting to the short sword like a good soldier.”

“We’ll see how this little cruise goes, shall we? Don’t plan any leave to the old homestead anytime soon Aristotle.” he replied as lightly as he could, and made his way onto the Firefly class transport. Monarch was its name.

A fitting title for a vessel now carrying a royal pain in the ass.

+++

The man who stepped free of the airlock umbilical, and onto the rattling deck plates of the freighter, took a moment to decide what to do. As of that particular moment of time he was in the unique position of being in ‘freefall’, as was said by those who played the great game of states. These people did not know his record, had no inkling of his status within the Alliance navy, and more importantly did not know him personally.

He was a stranger in the company of strange folk: a persona in freefall, as it were.

He was dressed for a night on the cobbled streets of Londinium, the sort of get up that any wealth fob with a trust fund to burn might drape himself in to protect his lily white skin as he crawled from pub to club to bar. Of course his own skin had its fare share of mileage, all of its careful concealed beneath minor cosmetic surgeries proscribed to remove defining or lingering marks.

Wouldn’t be the first time someone had been ousted as someone they were not meant to be because of an embarrassing birthmark or bullet scar.

He was as close to a blank canvas as he could get, so for a moment he closed his eyes and recalled the first lesson he’d been taught by the old instructors on Zanzibar Drift all those years ago when he was but a boy: ‘Today, do not be you. Today, be Kurtz.’

Kurtz had been the young scion of a minor noble family who were just wealthy enough to be ‘people in the know’ but just ignorable enough to be ‘invisible’ within the complicated familial dynasties of Zion. Everyone knew who the Kurtz’s were, and whilst they never set a trend or started a fashion, they always seemed to be just on the cusp of the wave. They were average, they were rich, they were ‘people to know’.

Except they were a complete fiction aqnd existed only in a few numbered bank accounts, and the assorted run off from a dozen gossip mills. The Kurtz family was a training front, a way for raw talent to be shown the ropes of mingling and adapting to changing circumstances. The similarities between the social and bloody battlefield were many, and sometimes just as deadly. For seven months he had been Anthony Kurtz, a wastrel and drinker, a womaniser and debaucher. So well had he fallen into the role of his assumed identity, his trainers had chastised him for months after for making a name for himself. Or at least a name for Anthony Kurtz, who was now a young man noticed by the social radar of Zion as an up and comer to be latched onto for quick advancement.

The Kurtz family had suddenly, and somewhat fatally, fallen out of favour, and were now nothing but a faded memory.

But instead of falling back into a an old, comfortable personality he knew would see him safely kicked off the Monarch within seven hours, he decided to go in another direction.

And for an officer, or at least a former officer, of the Alliance Office of Naval Intelligence, being ‘yourself’ was something of a grand departure from protocol.

“Hello?” he bellowed into the echoing cargo bay, leaning down as gracefully as his cuffs allowed to snatch up the RF unlocking tag for the cuffs “Anyone home?”

He began to fumbled the tag against the plastic and composite binders, trying to find the sweet spot that would pop the electronic lock.

“Anyone with a hammer would be appreciated!” he added, as he dropped the tag, seeing it jump a little as it struck, and then fell through a hole in the grating.

TAG-Anyone near the cargo bay read to repell boarders.

Averroes,
Man of Mystery
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Tavey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:57 am

"Hello? Anyone home?"

Kynthia visibly flinched at the sound of someone arriving in the ship before she'd had a chance to get them moving. "And that must be the inevitable surprise that the church adds to the mix, that we never forget what twisted bas**rds they are."

She stood up, turned and left the room. Moving quickly, she made her way to the top of the catwalk in the cargo hold.

"Aye?" she said to the stranger below. "An' who might you be?"

TAG - Averros

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:22 am

"Fresh coffee?" Lu smiled as she poured herself a cup, then heard exactly what Kynthia heard.

"Hello? Anyone home?"

"Now what are they sending our way?" She set down her cup and followed behind Kynthia, hand resting slightly on the small gun she kept hidden on her side.

"I didn't now we were expecting anyone else, Kynth. And I don't recognize whoever that is."

She started down the stairs to see if she could get a closer look at who was basically knocking at their door.

"Same question as the lady above, who're you?"

Tag - Averros
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Jake Sjet » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:37 pm

“Who might any of us be, dear lady? Tinker, tailor, solider or spy, we all wear the same skin and sing the old songs just as well. So in that meaning I am all people, and none of them.”

He looked down from where he’d been craning his neck to address the woman in the heavens, and smiled at the woman concerning herself with more earthly matters. Whether or not the hand on her small hold out pistol was intentional or merely honed survival skill, it was a note to remain careful.

His smile faltered slightly, and he took in a slow breath.

“I am a traveller. A wanderer. Sometime barterer in various forms of information that some find useful and others find distasteful. A...social correspondent without a conscience, if you will.” He said, his eyes still locked onto the Lu’s as he remained on her weapon. He then slowly raised his hands above his head, making a show of rattling the locked cuffs about his wrists.

“I am also, for the most part, harmless. More so now than before, but that's beside the point.” He grinned, before tilting his head down and making a grand snort of appreciating his own odour “Unless you count the smell. Alas the Alliance Navy is not an organisation best suited for transporting passengers. Especially ones they don’t like.”

He looked down at himself, at the threadbare frock coat, ripped and torn pants and scuffed shoes that at one time had been quite the fashionable ensemble to wear around the various court functions of Londinium’s higher echelons. He was either a bedraggled pauper pretending to be a prince, or a prince without a kingdom to call his own.

“Look, I know telling either of you that I can pay you my weight in platinum if you take me on as a passenger will sound like a folly, but it’s true.” He took a single step towards Lu “My name is Averroes, I’m quite clearly down on my luck, and I look to the kindness of strangers for my rescue.”

He nodded at her gun hand.

“Failing that, if my plea's fall on deaf ears, I’d prefer a bullet to 30 seconds in vacuum when the Alliance decide to space me to free up room in their brig.”

TAG-Ky, Lu

Averroes

Jake Sjet

Postby Kris » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:15 pm

Lu flinched slightly as the man raised his arms then let out a breath she didn't know she was holding in when she saw the cuffs on his wrists.

“Look, I know telling either of you that I can pay you my weight in platinum if you take me on as a passenger will sound like a folly, but it’s true.” He took a single step towards Lu “My name is Averroes, I’m quite clearly down on my luck, and I look to the kindness of strangers for my rescue.”

He nodded at her gun hand.

“Failing that, if my plea's fall on deaf ears, I’d prefer a bullet to 30 seconds in vacuum when the Alliance decide to space me to free up room in their brig.”

When he nodded at her gun hand, she pulled her hand back off it and sighed. "If you got your own trouble, we don't need it on our ship. We got stuff of our own to get done."

She looked back at Kynthia, wondering what she would say, then looked back at Averroes.

"Name's Lucille, but I'm called Lu. And it's up to the head lady up there if you're allowed on board. I ain't plannin' on shootin' anyone...at least not today. So you're safe on that point."

Tag: Kynthia, Averroes
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby popcornman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:02 pm

Addy appeared on the catwalk along the port side, his hand was very notibly on his pistol. He had finish his coffee before following the captain, and Lu. He looked the man up and down. "I don't." He tapped the pistol and just glanced at the captain. It would only take a single nod.

tags
SLA Personnel Chair

popcornman
SLA Personnel Chair
SLA Personnel Chair

Postby Jake Sjet » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:27 pm

“I assure you my dear, my trouble is my own, and will not come to trouble you and yours should the Alliance wish me ill. They merely wanted to make sure my...farewell...was conducted in person. The Alliance is quite keen on underscoring the fact that one is no longer their most honoured employee.” He smiled roguishly “Though I’m sure they would have preferred I take a short walk to kneel before the headsman, to fall on my sword or before another’s in service of vile old men.”

Upon hearing the clattering of boots on the cat walk above, he cocked his head up and nodded at gunslinger who made no bones where his opinions lay. The swagger, the rash attitude, and the hand resting prominently on a lump of pig iron on his hip: the fellow might as well have been wearing a brown coat.

“Ahh...and the final triumviri make’s his appearance. Now we have the makings of quorum.” Averroes said grandly, before turning back to address the silent figure of the woman who glowed with a commanding aura of authority “Unless, of course, this is a ship under one persons command and not a union of free thinkers. What say you oh Caesar?”

He held up one hand, his fist balled with his thumb extended down towards the deck.

“Death?”

He then slowly turned his fist around and pointed his thumb at the ceiling.

“Or life?”

TAG-Ky, Lu and Addy.

Averroes
Dicing With Death

Jake Sjet

PreviousNext

Return to Firefly: Monarch