Family Frustrations.

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Kynthia was agast.

"24 hours? Gun chu qù! Not possible. Is that at full burn?"

She turned worried eyes towards the front of the ship, feeling old, feeling alone and more than anything wanting to never travel the main shipping lanes again.

They had to find her crew.. had to. And she needed her rifle very very badly right about now. The solid way it felt in her hands, the black gleam of it in the lights. She needed the reassurance of having it around. And wondered, not for the first time, what had happened to it.

The Monarch sped through the Black, unknowing it too was being followed....

Salvagers had pegged it almost immediately as being something interesting. And they waited for their time...
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Sam Crerar » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Sam stopped as Tarra and Sjet went forward on point. As much as they criticized her, they would never understand. When were they ever expected to kill people they knew as a child? People she knew when they were still innocent, or as innocent as one could ever be in this damnedable 'verse. It wasn't like killing a stranger. It just wasn't, and that was something she couldn't explain to them. As much as she was afraid of what would happen if Phil and Jack, much less her mother, got their hands on her.

In the hold, Tarra had asked why it was so hard to leave the family. The answer was a mystery to Sam, except she knew the results. One of the slavers had decided to leave the syndicate. Left to go settle down on Persephone. Would have been nicer if he'd been fed to the Reavers naked and covered in honey. Jack and Phil broke most of the bones in his body, and then her father sold him. Slaver, slave, or death.

Between that, and the problem shooting people she knew. This was tearing Sam up, and she couldn't even lean on Tarra, because Tarra was angry at her. Fenbian.

Then she saw Titan going back into the hold. "Xiancho." Sam swore quietly, heading back to check on him. When she entered the hold, she saw Lu moving, and a pool of vomit. "Lu, you woke up. Can you stand? We need to get you out of here. You and the little one... Titan, help her. Carry her if you have to." She hesitated for a second. "Please." Then she turned around and headed out of the door, chambering a bullet in her pistol. Then the lights went out.

Life. Death. Anger. Hate. Guilt. Innocence. The thoughts raced through Sam's mind as she looked down the hallway. She didn't want to die, she didn't want to kill, she hated herself for this, and knew she would feel horribly guilty, but innocence had to be protected. Fenbian. Then she ran off in the other direction from the others. She knew what she was looking for, and roughly where it was. A com panel for the overhead. She hit the com panel, "Slaves escaped. Deck 3, port side. Deck 3, port side." She said. Though Tarra and Sjet would probably riddle her with holes next time they saw her, there was no way the slavers would go to the port side.

Then she heard a click and felt steel against the back of her head. She sighed and raised her hands. "Well, Sammy, my girl, you just saved me from Canton, I should be thankful. Now, I think, your mother would like to speak to you, and then, Phil and Jack are interested in getting their hands on you. They've been quiet creative in detailing their plans for your torment. Come on." A man's voice said from behind her, but it wasn't the man holding the gun.

Sam felt one tear go down her cheek as she turned around. Then she saw Alexi Zhukov and the Captain. "Hello, Uncle Jim."

"Actually, she doesn't save you from Canton, she's not in the hold." Zhukov said with a shrug, then moved the gun long enough to shoot Jim in the leg before aiming back at Sam. "Hello, Sammy. Trying to help us? Somehow, I doubt they vill believe your location of the slaves. I hate to do this to you, but, business, it's business, you know the deal."

"It's business." Was all Sam said as she resigned herself to her fate. Maybe they'd come and rescue her anyway. If they realized that the slavers weren't going to come to the port side.
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Kris » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:26 pm

Hearing Sam's voice, Lu looked up, "Yeah, I'm up. Guess I should ask what's happening later." She heard Sam asking Titan to help maybe carry her and she just shook her head, "Just need some help to get my balance straight and I can walk with you guys. Don't expect me to shoot anything right now though."

She brushed the blonde hair from her face, she should really keep it short instead of long, and closed her eyes a moment before trying to get herself up without any help at all. Without knowing what all was around her being in unfamilar territory, she had a bit of trouble.

Tag-Anyone wanting to help her get up.
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
User avatar
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: USS Lionheart

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:31 pm

Darkness descended and in the blackness of space, the dark felt absolute. Tarra's hand instinctively went out to grasp the first thing she could and hoped she connected with something stable. After all, she was hovering near the stairs and had been waiting for the others to catch up.

It was an arm, she was fairly certain, and hoped it belonged to Nakali. Still, Tarra held herself away from it at full length. No need to get too close. With Nakali, it seemed that somehow there would always be a 'too close'.

Sound would amplify without sight, so she waited for the lights to return before moving. With some concern, she realized that up to this point, they had not. The backup generator should have kicked in by now, shouldn't it?

"Nakali?" she whispered and bent her elbow, allowing herself to lean into him slightly. "How near am I to the stairs?" Tarra tried to recall and as she stuck a foot out into the emptiness of space, she gripped harder and swung around toward him. "Sorry," she said. "Nearer than I thought." Tarra righted herself and waited another minute before her eyes had adjusted to the bare minimum of the lighting in the corridor.

"Thanks." Her voice was quiet, carried to him by the surrounding emptiness and she let go. That was twice she had thanked him in less than ten minutes. Was she going for a record or something?

"I can see a little better now. Didn't mean to..." Touch him? Hold onto his arm? Lean on him? "Squeeze too hard." And then she chuckled lightly - as if her minor grip would have hurt him - and gently removed herself from that train of thought. One thing that Tarra (or Serena) didn't need now was to lose focus or composure in the dingy low-light of a slaver ship. Not while hiding from those seeking them, and with a man holding a fully loaded weapon as she held a stun baton.

A voice crackled through the silence and Tarra heard the announcement over the intercom. "Oh no," she said and almost sought out his arm again to steady herself. Her voice was full of bitterness. "You were right, Nakali... we're... Sam sold us out to her Slaver Family." It was a choking sob that she swallowed down into the core of her.

Then she was all business.

"You got a light on that thing?" Tarra asked coldly and took a more surefooted step back and away from him. Somehow, having her life threatened kept everything at bay except for her need to survive. This twist only changed one thing; they really needed to get the hell off the ship before she killed someone.

~Tag Nakali / Slavees

Tarragon Hunter
Chef and Crew
Monarch - Firefly Class
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Image
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
User avatar
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: Um... *looking around* Here?

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Quamie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:12 am

Ameri took a deep breath, tried to calm her nerves, recover. She sank into a chair and closed her eyes. Concentrate. Finding the others. Where were they? That was the answer which would help.

It took less long, this time. Maybe half the time of last time, and she started hearing voices. She shuddered, remembering the blood and the bodies, afraid; she almost lost hold, but recovered, holding tight to the tenuous link. "Darkness. It's all dark," Ameri reported. Tears were falling, flowing one by one down her cheeks to drip down to her hands, clasped tightly together.

'Oh no. You were right, Nakali... we're... Sam sold us out to her Slaver Family.' Again Tarra's voice, and Ameri had to wonder- why was it Tarra that she seemed to center on? She had known Sam longer than Tarra. It would make more sense for it to be Sam. She slowly shook her head, reporting what she'd heard. "Sam sold them out to the Slavers." The words tasted bad. She hated saying them. But at the same time, she didn't want to think too hard about it, or wonder too much, for fear of losing this connection.

<tag all!>
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby SDJThorin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:02 pm

Titan helped Lu up, as Sam left and the darkness fell.

It was dark; extremely dark, in the cell, but at least the hallways had the standard glowstrips. It wasn't much light but then Titan was use to working in the dark.

He led Lu out into the corridor, just as Sam's voice called out her betrayal.

"Well then," he commented to himself, "that's that."

Taking out a pair of IR goggles, that one of the goons had, he made his way back to the group, quietly talking Lu around dead bodies and other obstacles.

[ Tag - Lu ]

Once back with group, Titan moved up to Nakali and Tarra, "It's Titan," he warned them quietly, "here... take these," as he handed them the IR goggles off his face and the other spare set he'd salvaged. "These should help you see them coming. I can see well enough without them to lead Lu and Shoddy... Oh, and if you can find me an active terminal, I can cause some more havoc to these sishengzis."

[ Tag - Nakali and Tarra ]

Moving back towards Lu and Shoddy, Titan saw the man on the floor start to move. "Sorry, but this was the wrong time for you to wake up." he apologized, as he reached down to strangle him. Once he could no longer hear breath coming from him, he stopped. At least he couldn't see his eyes, while he scavenged the body.

That done, he moved on and gathered up the remaining crew. "Lu, Shoddy, I can help lead you if you need it."

[ Tag - Lu and Shoddy ]
Last edited by SDJThorin on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Characters:
  • -- CyberPunk 2268: GM / Storyteller (My CyberPunk 2020 SIM -- PM me to join)
  • -- deadToronto: Karl (Normal -- Mechanical Engineer -- All Flesh Must Be Eaten SIM)

Retired Characters:
  • -- Firefly Monarch: Svek (Security Specialist), Titan (Passenger -- Businessman)
  • -- USS Caduceus (Mirror): K'retok, of the House of T'var (Klingon -- XO of A.S. Medusa)

Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!
User avatar
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: The Dark Future

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:30 pm

"Sam sold them out to the Slavers." The words tasted bad. She hated saying them. But at the same time, she didn't want to think too hard about it, or wonder too much, for fear of losing this connection.

"No." Kynthia's voice was absolute and completely flat. "there is no way Sam would do that. None." This was the woman who had taken care of more trouble than they'd ever know of, simply to try and keep the crew of the Monarch safe.

They needed more speed. Kynthia rested her ear against the wall of the ship, communing with it on some level.

"We gotta use the firefly." she said. "Boost it somehow to get us there faster. Before anyone kills that gorram too clever for her own good first mate of mine." She listened. The ship seemed to be holding happily. No new noises. She might do it if they could increase the power for just a minute or two. Might shake some panels loose and fry some wiring.

She straightened up. "Ameri. Keep doin' that thinking thing of yours. Try and find Sam. I need to know what's going on for her." She walked over to Ameri, and wiped the tears from her face gently. "You can do it. I know you can."

TAG - Ameri

With a deep sigh, Kynthia then stood up and made her way to the bridge to explain her plan to Paul. She slid into the second seat to check the readings across the ship.

"I'm thinking that if we boost the Firefly, she'll give us a couple minutes of extra punch. Maybe take a bit of time off the run. If'n we can keep her going some. You got any ideas on how we can keep an ear for them tryin' to get hold of us?"

TAG - Paul

And TAG - Soto... where are you???
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Kris » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:35 am

Lu shook her head at the offer from Titan, "Just had to get my bearings a bit. I'll be fine, just wish I knew what was going on." She looked out ahead of her, surprised that they had actually been captured, most of all, that they'd found her in the shuttle. Everything was pretty fuzzy from the point Kynthia had told her to hide in the shuttle until now. Shaking her head, she followed along behind the others, not exactly minding that she was near the back. If she remembered correctly, the ones who captured them were slavers, and, in a few months time, would have a new one born to them if they couldn't get out of there.

Counting the heads of the people there of the crew, some were missing, "Maybe that's a good thing," she whispered to herself. She hadn't seen any crew mate dead bodies in the cell, she hoped they had managed to stay on the Monarch and were on their way to find the rest. Taking a deep breath, her stomach was in pain, but she knew that if she didn't keep moving, with the way that Sam was acting up near the front, she'd get left behind. So she continued to walk with the others, trying her best to keep up.
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
User avatar
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: USS Lionheart

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:28 pm

The walk to the command center of the Claudius in the dark seemed to take forever in Sam's mind. The ship had actually seemed smaller as a child, sufficatingly small, not it seemed to go on forever as she walked slowly, pushed by Zhukov on occasion. He was silent as they walked, which was fine for Sam.

"Oh shiny. Look who Zhukov has. It's Samantha." Said a voice in the dark, Jack, or Phil, Sam couldn't tell who. "Nice little announcement. We'll get your little friends, mei mei."

"Gukai, hun dahn." Sam snapped, trying to judge where he was based on the sound.

"Mite bit testy aren't we?" The twin asked, Sam could hear the cold leer in his voice. But she also knew where he was too. With a quick move, she punched him in the nose. It wasn't much, but it was enough to make her feel better.

Jack, or Phil, yelled in pain, and started cursing. Then Sam felt herself get tackled from slightly to the right of where the twin had been standing. As the first punch connected to her jaw, she was vaguely aware of the sound of Zhukov laughing.

After a few minutes of scrapping, with Sam scoring only a few good hits on her brothers, though getting hit several times, Zhukov pulled Jack and Phil off of Sam.

"Come off it, come off it, she needs to be intact when she meets your mother. You can beat her afterwards. You two might want to run after the escapees."

"We'll get you later, Sammy, we'll get you."
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby KendleRJ » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Tarra smiled pensively at Titan and took the goggles. The entire deck was green, and she felt a little more comfortable now that she could see better. "Thanks," she said and hooked them onto her face with the strap. "But you're leadin' and not shootin'?"

~Tag Tighten

That did make sense but Tarra felt that someone other than Nakali should be armed. After all Sam... wait. She took a look around and couldn't see her. "Tighten," she said. "Where's Sam?" Announcement or no announcement, they all got out. Alive was preferable. With that morality clause and her friend and mei dade intact. Tarra wasn't going to leave Sam with blood family - she had chosen her family already aboard the Monarch. And now, so many things began falling into place for her... all their discussions...

~Tag Tighten

Tarragon Hunter held out her hand and glanced at Nakali, then the rest of them, before looking back at Titan. "Give me a weapon, I'll swap out." The stun baton might be more preferable to use around the pregnant Lu and Shoddy. In her head she heard a voice, 'And then there were 5'. Bug and now Sam. Shaking herself to change her focus, she concentrated on the ones still there.

Tarra had a question for their other engineer. "Shoddy, with this ship, is it still moving? And are the lights the only thing out, or are they connected to other systems?"

~Tag Shoddy

Turning back, Tarra moved to the staircase with her improved vision. "Two levels down, right?" Her voice felt hollow in her ears. Sam was gone, and they were stumbling around in the dark with little direction.

Reaching out, she squeezed Nakali's arm again, more to reassure herself that he was still there than anything else. A brief contact and an even briefer release. Moving quickly and away from them, she slid down the stairs and in the blink of an eye, was gone.

Tag Slavees

Tarragon Hunter
Chef and Crew
Monarch - Firefly Class
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Image
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
User avatar
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: Um... *looking around* Here?

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby SDJThorin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:42 pm

[ While still with Tarra ]

"No problem, just get us out of here or to a terminal so I can mess this ship up." Titan replied, as he handed over a small sub-gun and took the other stunner.

"Sam... she ran off... to rejoin her family... I don't think she wanted to be with us, when we kill them...", he replied without much hope, as he headed back to the others.

[ Back with Lu and Shoddy ]

Titan unwound some of his sash, enough that both Lu and Shoddy could have an end.

"Here... hold this," as he handed them each an end, "keep your end tight, so that you can feel my movements, if we get into trouble let go and drop to the floor, I'll defend you."

[ Tag - Lu and Shoddy ]
Current Characters:
  • -- CyberPunk 2268: GM / Storyteller (My CyberPunk 2020 SIM -- PM me to join)
  • -- deadToronto: Karl (Normal -- Mechanical Engineer -- All Flesh Must Be Eaten SIM)

Retired Characters:
  • -- Firefly Monarch: Svek (Security Specialist), Titan (Passenger -- Businessman)
  • -- USS Caduceus (Mirror): K'retok, of the House of T'var (Klingon -- XO of A.S. Medusa)

Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!
User avatar
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: The Dark Future

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Curtin » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:45 am

"I'm thinking that if we boost the Firefly, she'll give us a couple minutes of extra punch. Maybe take a bit of time off the run. If'n we can keep her going some. You got any ideas on how we can keep an ear for them tryin' to get hold of us?"


The pilot thought about it for a second. "Boostin' the Firefly, eh? It might work, but, it'll be loud. Make us stick out like a sore thumb to anyone lookin' for us. Big risk, if you ask me." Paul scratched his chin. "And it'll make it very difficult for us to see anything on our scanners. Creates a lot of interference, while that engine is firin'"
My real name is Stephan. Y'all can call me that OOC.

Manheim Fleet Captain
Image

"I would be happy to have a Star Trek come on in 15 or 20 years where people say, 'Now that is good! That makes Roddenberry look like nothing!' And that would please me!" - Gene Roddenberry, 1989
User avatar
Curtin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Jake Sjet » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:33 pm

“Ship this big, if you’re muckin’ with the main power bus you’d cut power to everything. We’d be floating, no A-Grav and the air would be a might thinner and chillier. Also depends on the tea kettle they got beatin’ away in the heart of this beasty. So I beat Big's been throwing wrenches in the engine room, maybe going after the super conducting magnets maybe?” Shoddy mused, helping support Lu “Ship this big’ll need to keep her engines running to generate electricity from stripping electrons from the plasma race curcuit in her reactor using them big old doughnuts, only way ta do that’s by being under power...I’m guessing we’re moving, but we’re only doing...15, maybe 20% max thrust. Course if power drops to low, they might loose containment in their tea kettle...big ba-da boom when that plasma gets angsty.”

As Shoddy whittled on, Nakali was as still as a rock when Tarra’s arm squeezed his shoulder, every muscle tensed like steel cables beneath his skin. He stared out across the iron sights of the repurposed slavers rifle, aiming at a point down the hall by what looked like an air vent.

The IR goggles played with the thermal heat imaging and meagre lighting that was available, giving himself and Tarra the composite view of ghostly heat signatures and forest green walls. But by the vent, where rasping coils of heat rose steadily to the ceiling following the laws of thermal dynamics he...saw...things.

Impossible things.

They glittered as only gold could, maddeningly fast humming birds that dove and zipped through the coiling invisible column of heat. But they were there. They bounced off the ceilings and walls, careering off anything in an insane maddening dance without rhythm or rhyme. His heart was pounding, wanting to break free of his chest, as his flight or fight responses kicked in, the adrenal glands flooding his system with adrenaline and other chemicals the body craved to starve off the hunters claws.

He had to get away from them.
He had to run.
He had to-

Her hand and that gentle squeeze brought his head around sharply, almost as though an invisible hand had snapped it to the right, a shallow gasp of air rushing back into his lungs from the held breathe he’d barely thought to let go. He hurried turned back to eye the vent, to avoid looking for the golden, mad birds....but they weren’t there anymore. Like phantoms they’d evaporated, vapours caught in the updraft and turn asunder...

He gulped down, reaching up to pat her hand away. He was okay...for now.

“I say...we go now.” He growled, teeth clenched “The more we wait for Sam to blab to her dear old family, the more time it gives them to hunt us down. She's probably been working for them since day one rounding up a boat load of easy pickin's.”

he turned to look at Lu.

"No offence."

TAG-All.

Nakali
Shoddy
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X


Image

"I will eat your soul :3"
User avatar
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
 
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:30 pm
Location: Britian

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Quamie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:43 pm

"We gotta use the firefly." she said. "Boost it somehow to get us there faster. Before anyone kills that gorram too clever for her own good first mate of mine." She listened. The ship seemed to be holding happily. No new noises. She might do it if they could increase the power for just a minute or two. Might shake some panels loose and fry some wiring.

She straightened up. "Ameri. Keep doin' that thinking thing of yours. Try and find Sam. I need to know what's going on for her." She walked over to Ameri, and wiped the tears from her face gently. "You can do it. I know you can."


Ameri nodded, struggling to keep the....... the connection, as it were, open. It faded, got louder, faded, got louder. She drew in a slow shaky breath, furrowing her brow. The strain was making her head hurt, but she had to find Sam. She tried focusing on Sam. The connection wavered, faded, went out. All of a sudden, she was in the chair on the Monarch. It felt.. foreign.

Sam. Ameri tried focusing on her again. Where was Sam? Again, she tried, but no Sam. Tarra, instead. Why was it Tarra? Why couldn't she see Sam? It was dark, where Tarra and the others were. It was dark, and Ameri couldn't see.

'Two levels down, right?' It was Tarra's voice.

'I say...we go now.' He growled, teeth clenched. 'The more we wait for Sam to blab to her dear old family, the more time it gives them to hunt us down. She's probably been working for them since day one rounding up a boat load of easy pickin's.' He turned to look at Lu. 'No offence.'

"No," Ameri said. "No, Sam couldn't have been working for them all along." Her head was swimming. "I can't see Sam. Why can't I see Sam? Why can I see Tarra?"

She was tiring fast, and she still wasn't any closer to figuring out where the others were.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Kris » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:30 am

(Replying mobile so this may look a bit odd on a computer)

Lu shook her head at Shoddy, "It's ok, I know I'm the one that they can get to easiest right now." She sighed to herself as she started to get more of her strength back; she was a liability, if she didn't keep up they'd all end up caught. Even with Titan and Shoddy helping her along.

Or was it Sam who was more of a liability to them right now? She was arguing with herself it seemed, causing more noise than any of them in her eyes. Instead of focusing on all the bad right now, she figured it better to think about getting outta there in one piece and not losing anyone. That was the plan, right?

Tags- All that're there
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
User avatar
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: USS Lionheart

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:03 pm

The pilot thought about it for a second. "Boostin' the Firefly, eh? It might work, but, it'll be loud. Make us stick out like a sore thumb to anyone lookin' for us. Big risk, if you ask me." Paul scratched his chin. "And it'll make it very difficult for us to see anything on our scanners. Creates a lot of interference, while that engine is firin'"

"Is true." Kynthia agreed. "But I ain't sure we got any other choice. We got to get closer to where that flare went off, afore they vanish on us. Might get us an extra few hours push."

She opened up a document on the screen set into the wall near her and began to hunt through it until she found the exact wiring diagram she wanted.

"See, if'n we feed an extra fuel block into the mix here, should give her the boost. Mind you, we'll come off lookin' like Reavers for a short while. An' I ain't sure Bug nor Shoddy will forgive me for messin' with their precious workings."

TAG - Paul.

She say back, looking at them both. "What do you think? Ameri here is drainin' herself something fast tryin' to keep a fix on 'em. "

TAG - Ameri and Paul
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:33 pm

The group that hid within the darkness of the ship had no way to know that they had been watched. A pair of bright eyes tracked them until they were near to making a mistake.

Just as they were about to head into a more open corridor than they realised was ahead, a whisper floated out of the shadows near them.

"Wouldn't do that."

Sliding out of his hiding space, the thin man eased into a patch of light, only long enough to be seen. His ragged hair hung around his face, his eyes darted over them all, and never stopped watching around. "Only, there's camera's out there see. Tiny eyes watching." he nodded.

"I'll help you, if you take me with you. Elias is the name." So saying he slid back, beckoning them towards the darkness with a crooked long finger.

"Been hiding on this ship for near two month now.." he whispered.

TAG - all that are there.

Meanwhile, another pair of eyes was watching some interesting footage from the camera's housed in the ceiling of the cell area. Specifically watching the death of guards, over and over again. Making notes, and finally completing a report.

The actions of the tall companion had been, illuminating, to say the least. That level of training was to be expected, since companions weren't expected to be completely without skills. But the cold blooded actions of this one bespoke a more personal bent.

Within moments, a carefully edited, anonymous draft was ready to be sent to to the main house on Shinon. Showing Titan killing the guard, his hair slipped back from his face long enough to be identified. Carefully edited, so that the events leading up to that killing were not visible. Nor the fact that he helped Lu afterwards.

It never hurt to have something on hand as leverage...
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby SDJThorin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:10 pm

Shrugging, because there really wasn't a better option, Titan moved in after Elias.

"Two Months eh, can you get me to a terminal? If you can, I've got some surprises I can spring, and maybe even get out a call for help."

[ Tag - All ]
Current Characters:
  • -- CyberPunk 2268: GM / Storyteller (My CyberPunk 2020 SIM -- PM me to join)
  • -- deadToronto: Karl (Normal -- Mechanical Engineer -- All Flesh Must Be Eaten SIM)

Retired Characters:
  • -- Firefly Monarch: Svek (Security Specialist), Titan (Passenger -- Businessman)
  • -- USS Caduceus (Mirror): K'retok, of the House of T'var (Klingon -- XO of A.S. Medusa)

Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!
User avatar
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: The Dark Future

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Elias took them deep into the labyrinth of service crawlways and spaces in the depths of the ship. He insisted on silence for most of the way, until they had neared the steady beat of the air processing plant.

Then he turned, an old man, with kindly blue eyes and looked them over.

"Son," he said to Titan. "If'n I'd been able to get to a terminal, ain't you thinkin' that I'd be off this ship by now?"

TAG - Titan.

He showed them a place to rest, a nook piled with old blankets that could be comfortable when moved around. Then handed them small parts of a carefully rationed protein bar.

"So, Mama Slaver came on board, an' that means that there is a shuttle. If we can get to it, then we can get away from this place." he said, with the air of someone who'd thought about it some. "After that you can have your terminal young man."

TAGS
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:27 pm

Back on The Monarch, preparations were underway to boost the firefly. Not much, just enough to give them a push so that they could get to the other ship a little sooner. It would mean that the aft cabins and spaces would not have life support until they returned the engine to it's normal run.

Such a small ragtag crew...

Kynthia was secretly enjoying this. Getting her hands dirty and busy again. She'd found that it was hard with so many folk all doing the things she used to do on the ship. Even making simple hearty foodstuffs out of whatever was around had not happened in a while. She was looking forward to that too, for the other crew getting back onboard. If there were even any dehydrated vegetables left that is.

Still, it was time to pull the counterlevered handle that would bring the burn into play.

"Three..." she yelled... " Two... " and grabbed the handle securely, grinning at Soto. "ONE!"

With a lean backwards, and a hefty pull of the lever, the flow was diverted. The ship shuddered slightly as the engine spun a little faster, generating the necessary energy.

"PUNCH IT!" Kynthia yelled at Paul through the comm.

TAGs
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Curtin » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:12 pm

The pilot thought about it for a second. "Boostin' the Firefly, eh? It might work, but, it'll be loud. Make us stick out like a sore thumb to anyone lookin' for us. Big risk, if you ask me." Paul scratched his chin. "And it'll make it very difficult for us to see anything on our scanners. Creates a lot of interference, while that engine is firin'"

"Is true." Kynthia agreed. "But I ain't sure we got any other choice. We got to get closer to where that flare went off, afore they vanish on us. Might get us an extra few hours push."

She opened up a document on the screen set into the wall near her and began to hunt through it until she found the exact wiring diagram she wanted.

"See, if'n we feed an extra fuel block into the mix here, should give her the boost. Mind you, we'll come off lookin' like Reavers for a short while. An' I ain't sure Bug nor Shoddy will forgive me for messin' with their precious workings."


Paul shook his head. "Well, they'll haveta get over it, Skip, since we're doin' it to save their sixes."


[A short time later]

Kynthia was secretly enjoying this. Getting her hands dirty and busy again. She'd found that it was hard with so many folk all doing the things she used to do on the ship. Even making simple hearty foodstuffs out of whatever was around had not happened in a while. She was looking forward to that too, for the other crew getting back onboard. If there were even any dehydrated vegetables left that is.

Still, it was time to pull the counterlevered handle that would bring the burn into play.

"Three..." she yelled... " Two... " and grabbed the handle securely, grinning at Soto. "ONE!"

With a lean backwards, and a hefty pull of the lever, the flow was diverted. The ship shuddered slightly as the engine spun a little faster, generating the necessary energy.

"PUNCH IT!" Kynthia yelled at Paul through the comm.


Paul took a deep breath, and pressed the control, activating the engine.

He was pushed back into his chair by G-forces, where he struggled to keep his hand on the cut-off. "Come on baby, hold together..." The ship creaked and groaned under the punishment of the extra force. She wasn;t built to take this, even when she was new, and well-maintained. Now... hell, she was held together with spit and bailing wire, and a little bit of good luck. Paul just hoped that luck hadn't run out.
My real name is Stephan. Y'all can call me that OOC.

Manheim Fleet Captain
Image

"I would be happy to have a Star Trek come on in 15 or 20 years where people say, 'Now that is good! That makes Roddenberry look like nothing!' And that would please me!" - Gene Roddenberry, 1989
User avatar
Curtin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Sam Crerar » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:10 pm

It was only a few minutes before Sam was pushed into a room that was somewhat lit by spotlights. "Lovely. Love what you've done with the decor, it's so homey now." Sam said dryly, trying to keep her courage up.

Susan Crerar regarded her daughter with eyes that didn't show anything. "I can't say the same for you Samantha." She said. "What have you been doing to yourself?"

"Last on my agenda was getting kidnapped." Sam replied, "Actually, that kinda got penciled in unexpectedly."

Susan pointed at the chair opposite her. "Still with the quick comments I see. Sit down." She leant forward to pour a steady stream of tea into a cup and held it up for Sam.

"Sit. please." She added after a moment.

Sam was hesitant, but she didn't exactly have much of a choice being surrounded by men with guns who all answered to mommy dearest. So, she sat, and she took the tea. "Thank you." She said quietly. "Tea, civility, lack of death threats, this is unusual."

Susan kept the retort bitten back behind clenched teeth. She poured for herself, sipping the hot liquid silently while she looked over the young woman in front of her. "Ever the blunt one. Samantha, this isn't the way to do business."

Sam sipped the tea. "I've been kidnapped, threatened with death, torment, slavery of myself and my crew. Tends to make me a might irritable."

"Samantha. Of course I am going to sell those people who you were with. As far away from you as I can." Susan Crerar tapped her cup thoughtfully. " They're bad influences, all of them."

"Bad influences? You don't know any of them. Well, one of them, you're getting to know one of them, if the lights are any indication."

Susan's mouth suddenly hardened into the familiar thin line that Sam knew of old. She placed her cup down carefully. "Yes. Well. We're negotiating. He might even get to live at the end of it." she said flatly. "Depending on who finds him first. Samantha, you can help with that."

Sam took a sip of the tea. "So, you want me to find Bug and stop him, in order for you to sell him." She paused for a second. "Not gonna happen."

Susan looked annoyed. "No. I want you to find him before your brothers do." She said. "They are quite determined. I may have to kill them one day."

"I'm not interested in helping you sell my friends. Can we just kill Phil and Jack now? That'd be easier." Sam replied lightly. "Bug is just a kid."

"You have to agree to something first." Susan waved at the guards. They left, save for one who stood at the other end of the room. "Come back to the family. We need you." She continued once they were as along as they would get. "I need you. The boys are out of control. This mess is a perfect example."

Sam took a sip of the tea. "So, you want me to find Bug and stop him, in order for you to sell him." She paused for a second. "Not gonna happen."

Susan looked annoyed. "No. I want you to find him before your brothers do." She said. "They are quite determined. I may have to kill them one day."

"I'm not interested in helping you sell my friends. Can we just kill Phil and Jack now? That'd be easier." Sam replied lightly. "Bug is just a kid."

"You have to agree to something first." Susan waved at the guards. They left, save for one who stood at the other end of the room. "Come back to the family. We need you." She continued once they were as along as they would get. "I need you. The boys are out of control. This mess is a perfect example."

Sam laughed harshly. "Like anyone would trust me. Phil and Jack want me dead, or at least enslaved, and I'm sure they're not the only ones. Why not get Richard? I can tell you where he's stationed."

Susan's face immediately tightened at the mention of her son. "That's enough of that." she said harshly. "Richard is dead to us now. It was decreed as such." She stood up suddenly, turning to walk to the nearby porthole, looking out into the Black with the stars. "Samantha. You've got skills that are useful."

"That I do have. And morals and the like. You're not going to get me to join by threatening to sell my crew." Sam replied, finishing off her tea. "More flies with honey..."

Susan remained at the window, staring into the darkness beyond. Thinking. "So, if I don't sell your crew, what then?" she asked. "Then you'll come home?"

Sam was silent for a moment. "Talk about a fast deal." She muttered under her breath. Should she sell her soul to gain their freedom? "The twins still want me dead. I'd need assurances I wouldn't wake up dead, or worse, on Canton. And I ain't no new slaver to be hazed and given go-se assignments."

Susan looked sharply at her daughter. "What gives you that idea?" she demanded. "You would be in training to take over."

"Experience." Sam said bitterly before standing up and walking over to her mother. "Captain a ship? Or the entire operation from Santo?" She was quiet for a second, "You seem pretty desperate. Where is father?"

"Busy." Replied Susan in the tone of voice that also said, do not ask any more. "So, what to do with you?"

"Hand me a pistol." Sam said flatly, holding a hand out.

"Do you think I am that stupid, Daughter of mine?"

"You want them caught so they can be released? Or do you want them to kill everyone in their way until they get out on their own?" Sam asked, "They're going to shoot me if they see me, and so pardon me if I want some firepower."

Susan didn't respond immediately. She stared out the window, watching the stars. "You and I will go together. You have to earn a pistol, Samantha, and you certainly haven't yet."

"Fine. You and me. Let's get this done." Sam sighed, "The sooner they're off the ship, the sooner you'll have me back under your thumb."

"Don't you sound so pleased."

"Ah, yes, because betrayal of friends, and then selling my soul for their freedom is pleasing and fun." Sam replied sarcastically as her mother led her out of the command center.
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby SDJThorin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Titan took it all in stride, and thankfully took the bit of food. If it was poisoned, his implant would let him know.

"A shuttle would be good... especially if it's the head honcho's... that might mean weapons and stealth gear."

[ Tag - All who followed him here ]
Current Characters:
  • -- CyberPunk 2268: GM / Storyteller (My CyberPunk 2020 SIM -- PM me to join)
  • -- deadToronto: Karl (Normal -- Mechanical Engineer -- All Flesh Must Be Eaten SIM)

Retired Characters:
  • -- Firefly Monarch: Svek (Security Specialist), Titan (Passenger -- Businessman)
  • -- USS Caduceus (Mirror): K'retok, of the House of T'var (Klingon -- XO of A.S. Medusa)

Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!
User avatar
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: The Dark Future

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:00 am

Kynthia let out a whoop of sheer excitement as the ship lurched forward. Even though she could hear the Old Girl groaning at the extra stress, she was holding it together. There seemed to be an odd pull to one side occasionally. But that was probably just some plate or another come loose and dragging.

"Right!" she called out to the others. "Best be getting your gear ready for some unpleasant times. Just in case we needs to be shooting the others out of that there ship. I hope not. But this is the 'Verse it is."

TAG - Paul (when he can)
TAG - Soto
TAG - Ameri

Meanwhile back on the slaver ship the old man was listening to Titan and nodding.

"Aye. 'Tis the way of it when the boss lady comes to visit. All jump, an' the boys go runnin'. Ain't sure what or who they're hunting at the moment.. but someone done annoyed them. I heard what they was plannin' on doin' to the little runt when they done caught up, and it didn't involve givin' him air when they took 'im outside."

Elias shook his head in sorrow. "Them boys. From what I hear, the whole family is strange, but them two are close to Reavers when they gets goin'. The sister what left? She's the sane one from what we hear tell. When you've all eaten, shuttle is down this way. Is that all of you or are you missing anyone?"

TAGs
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Galifestus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:37 am

It would not have felt like much more than a little bump, but up near the front fo the massive slaver, a attitude rocket fired, and kept right on spewing fire into the universe, raising the chin of the ship slightly but constantly, putting the vessel into a slight but sure backroll, a circle ten thousand miles across. The instruments did not chime a warning, but the nav computer questioned the change in course.

It was the clue the hunters needed.

Only in one place in the innards of the ship could something like this be accomplished, and they converged on it like silent lightning. The boy was there, too, as evidenced by the first hunter's head exploding under a shower of shatterspikes. Two more fell when the boy tried to leave the section, but it seemed he was cut off. Too many held the spaces between for him to escape, and it seemed his capture was certain when the cacophony of gunfire from his hiding place was replaced by a rapid click of an empty repeater.

The hunters remaining moved in. First in the rush were the brothers Crerar, shocksticks out and ready to give a really good lesson to the runt.

And then the lights came on. Every one at 300%, filling the ship with briliance beyond endurance, especially to those with low light goggles on instead of the more expensive IR visors. The Crerars brothers, it seemed, were cheap. They and their capture team writhed on the floor in ocular agony as Bug slipped past, but one managed to grab him in blind flailing about.

Bug was rocked by the blow he got from the temporarily blind man's shock stick, swung like a club. he tried desperately to wriggle free, but could not. He could see others beginning to recover from the lights, and knew if he did not soon quit the fight, his capture was sure. He endured another strike from the flailing shockstick and pulled out his remaining weapon. Knives, it seems, never ran out of ammo.

The boy swung a hard downward arc with the knife blade jutting from the bottom of his fist. It was an inexpert swing that any fighter could normally have batted aside, but Bug's opponent was still dazzled and took the stab hard in his lower torso. It wouldn't kill him, most likely, but it sure did hurt him.

Bug found himself free and he ran, only to be accosted by another man similar to the first, but less disabled. This one had no trouble knocking the knife out of Bug's hand, following up with a jab with his shocker's business end.

Bug felt every muscle simultaneously contact, and he could not help but let out a scream of astonished pain. In all his skulduggery, he had never been hit with a shocker, and he was amazed how effective it was. Even after the hit, he could do nothing but lay on the deck a while. This time was used to the full by the brothers as first the one and then the other kicked the boy several times, being careful not to get his face too much.

When their wrath ebbed a little, aided by a young woman's reminders of their mother's attitudes about damaging stock, the uninjured brother used his radio.

"Ma, we got the kid!"

~tags
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
User avatar
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:47 am
Location: Kelso, Washington, USA

PreviousNext

Return to Firefly: Monarch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


cron