[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
SLA Ten Forward • View topic - Family Frustrations.

Family Frustrations.

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby KendleRJ » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:08 pm

[ With the Slavers ]

Tarra struggled on the ground when she heard Bug. Her stomach sank a little but his buoyant spirit gave her some hope. At least until he was taken away by the damnable fenbians. Dragged him, it sounded like, and she almost swore aloud. It was a terrible blow. That bug she had taken from him didn't save him at all. If only she could see, could only know who else was there. Sam, Bug, her...

That meant that Kynthia, Ameri, Lucille, Paul, Nabaal, Shoddy, Nakali... they were all safe.

“You know...you guys take me to the nicest places.”

Tarra's head raised a fraction and her breath caught in her throat when she heard his voice. She hoped that it was her imagination. It couldn't be possible that Nakali was here... that they would have taken him, or he would have even let them do so.

But her hearing had been confirmed as he continued to speak... and struggle and be sarcastically humourous... There was commentary about their surroundings, and the smell. Tarra had so been trying to ignore that as the sound from his running commentary followed his movements, until she heard it closer than it was before. It was like he saw her and was speaking to her which brought her back from her thoughts.

“Hey...Tarra you still with us over there? Can’t have you wandering off on us now, we need you.” Nakali admitted, before adding quickly “Wouldn’t trust Sam here to boil water let alone cook, so stick to the here and now and not tomorrow.”

"Still here," Tarra said. "No wandering." She kept her speech to a minimum before her voice cracked. She was so scared for them all.

Need her. She laughed in her head at that. How completely stupid did that seem? Anyone could boil water, even Sam. Cooking, she was certain, was not what they took slaves for. And she shivered.

She was angry, and frustrated, and frightened and so sure that if they touched her she would kill the ones doin' the touchin'. In all of the 'Verse, this was not the way she saw her life coming to an end... but it would be if they pushed her to it. Damaged goods in this market was just bad for business, and it would be best if she stayed unsullied in every sense of the word. If that took some convincin', then so be it.

"I'm in the here and now, Nakali." She swallowed. "We need to get Bug back, but not before I can see. Can someone help me with that?" Her voice raised a single tone and she took a deep breath. "Can't be calm if I can't see..."

~Tag Slave-ees

USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

The Monarch

Postby Tavey » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 pm

"I would be assuming correctly the we're doing this the Browncoat Way?" he eyed Ky "We ain't leaving no man or woman behind?"

Kynthia nodded sharply. "Ain't the way we do things, to be leaving them behind. We're family." She remarked, looking around. "First things first, let's make sure we can get this ship moving. An' then we have to think on where they might have been taken, and yes.. we go and we get them back. "

The Old Girl didn't seem to have any problems. She wasn't drifting as she might were she completely dead in the air. But she also wasn't making any headway. Kynthia was trying to think past the still foggy after-effects of the gas.

"Do we have any idea how long we've been out?" she asked suddenly, a very real concern colouring her voice. "Only, if it's been long enough, salvagers will be on the way."

TAG - all

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Galifestus » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Interruptions. Always interruptions.
No sooner had Turley gotten the boy dressed in apropriate atire, ready to be used to fulfil his fantasy than he was summoned to the captain's office. He left his little victim-to-be with strict instructions to clean up his quarters and stay there under any and all circumstances, and wait for his new master. He was confident in the Aliance and their intensive conditioning, especially when it came to child slaves.

When he returned under orders to put the boy back in holding unenjoyed twenty minutes later, he was utterly and completely shocked to find no sign of the child. His clothes, his little shoes, his toys, even his binders were gone, as though it had all been a dream. Turley began to feel a knot of panic building deep in his belly. What would the captain do if he did not get the boy back into holding? What if the captain found out he'd lost the boy altogether?

~~

The greasy man was an idiot, as well as a sick dog. Bug had no compunction about changing back into his own gear and gathering up anything useful from the guy's room and departing by way of the vent. He did not know anything about his conditioning, really. What he did know was that he had to help his crew out of this mess, and that he had to get them back to his captain, whatever it took. In fact he was obeying his conditioning. It was just that he belonged to someone other than the slavers, and would be loyal to that bond to the expense of his life. Or anyone else's.

It was not long till he found his way to the engines of the ship, where he knew he would be safe from any search. No fancy gizmos could see him in here behind the shielding. With the time allotted by the stupid sicko's stalling before reporting his escape, Bug was well and truely hidden.

Now for the plan.

~tags
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Tavey » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Kynthia made decisions. She pointed at Paul and towards the bridge. "Go get her back online. I'm heading to the engine room to make sure she'll fire."

TAG - Paul

"Ameri, go with him please, I want your eyes on the proximity scan. While we are on the drift, we're targets. You'll be important to making sure we ain't also lunch for someone."

TAG - Ameri

She thought again for a moment, then motioned towards the old soldier.

"Come with me Soto." She said. "We can check cabins an' all. "

TAG - Soto

They all headed into their different directions on the ship that seemed far too big without the usual hum of conversation and the bustle of a full crew and passengers. The odd snatch of music, or singing. The scent of Tarragon's cooking. Shoddy and Bug being young in the hold and climbing around the engines. Titan and his mix of formality and kindness.

All missing.

And Kynthia was seriously tweaked on it all.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Curtin » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:57 pm

Kynthia made decisions. She pointed at Paul and towards the bridge. "Go get her back online. I'm heading to the engine room to make sure she'll fire.

Paul grunted. "On it Skip." He started forward, sighing. The ship was a lot quieter than it had been, even while he was hiding in his cabin.

"Dammit Sam, I'm gonna have to save your six again, ain't I?" he muttered as he slid into the pilot's seat, and began systems checks. So far, all seemed well enough, systems came back within normal limits.

He grunted when he heard Ameri follow him. "How the gorram hell are we gonna find them?" he wondered aloud, staring out into the black. "It's an awfully big place. It'll be like finding a needle in a haystack..."

<tags>
My real name is Stephan. Y'all can call me that OOC.

Manheim Fleet Captain

"I would be happy to have a Star Trek come on in 15 or 20 years where people say, 'Now that is good! That makes Roddenberry look like nothing!' And that would please me!" - Gene Roddenberry, 1989
Curtin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby Jake Sjet » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Soto watched the Captain as she checked cabins, ducking her head down the long shafts of the neck crew quarters, and in then out into the dining area that was home to one helluva cook. Dang that woman’s cooking reminded him fiercely of the ditches back on Kashmir during the shelling the Alliance gave those of the Brown after a mighty fine disagreement over whom owned the planet.

Her cooking was explosive, and left few survivors, but those that that did see the light of day afterwards were damn near thankful to the almighty for the experience.

But as they checked cabins, and the larger spaces for the odd surprise left behind by those that meant harm to them, Soto could see something about the younger woman’s movements. He’d been ‘retired’ by the surrender of those that claimed authority over the Browncoats as a Gunnery Sergeant, bane to the enlisted swine and devil to the enemy. So he knew when an officer of a higher rank was badly hiding a hurting pain, and officers that spent a lot of time worrying about something other than what was in their axis of attack usually ended up getting a buttock full of buck shot.

True story.

“Ya know...” he drawled as he followed in her wake “...after this is all said and done, and we get our folks back...I might be of the right mind to think you have plans for those that took ours?”

Plan A-Get her concentrating on killing the gorram humpers who stole her crew, and not on what might have or be happening to them at this very moment. A warrior always had a fresh supply of vivid imaginings regarding the wrongness that can befall the human form.

“Cause if you don’t ya might want to give thought to it. Just the words of a old Browncoat Gunny, but aren’t these sort of downright dirty swine connect in the wrong ways to the powers that be within the Core and to those less savoury organisations within the Rim?” he shrugged, walking slowly around a table “I doubt either side would take kindly to the sort of justice I’d want to dish out, might look to come after me and mine if I did such a thing without considering the future implications.”

Plan B-Get her think about the time after the eventual and certain rescue of her crew. She had no need to ponder the fact that, more than likely, some would not be coming back. Slavers weren’t exactly known for being gentle souls with their cargoes.

“But hey...that’s me talking.” He grinned, the very picture of fatherly concern “Now how’s about we get this old girl’s bunny jumping and get to those engines?”

TAG-Ky, this post was brought to you by Southern Comfort.

Soto Nabaal
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Quamie » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:44 pm

"Ameri, go with him please, I want your eyes on the proximity scan. While we are on the drift, we're targets. You'll be important to making sure we ain't also lunch for someone."

Ameri nodded, suppressing a shudder. She glided off after Paul.

"Dammit Sam, I'm gonna have to save your six again, ain't I?" he muttered as he slid into the pilot's seat, and began systems checks. So far, all seemed well enough, systems came back within normal limits.

He grunted when he heard Ameri follow him. "How the gorram hell are we gonna find them?" he wondered aloud, staring out into the black. "It's an awfully big place. It'll be like finding a needle in a haystack..."

"Isn't there a way to check where they went? A trail or such?" Ameri asked in her inexperience. She settled gingerly into the copilot's chair, eyes on the scanner.

<tag>
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Curtin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:19 pm

"Isn't there a way to check where they went? A trail or such?"

The former Browncoat officer shook his head. "If they left a trail, it's probably dissipated by now. How long were we out? Several hours, at least." Paul tapped a few controls. "How'd they find us? A bug, on Bug... wasn't it?" The pilot looked up. "That's it! If they planted one, chances are they planted a second one. Or that someone else on their ship has one operating on a similar frequency!"

He punched the intercom, shipwide. "Skip, I've got an idea on how to find these people. Let's use their own devices against them."

<tags>

Manheim Fleet Captain

"I would be happy to have a Star Trek come on in 15 or 20 years where people say, 'Now that is good! That makes Roddenberry look like nothing!' And that would please me!" - Gene Roddenberry, 1989
Curtin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Re: Family Frustrations. - JP between Sam & Tarra

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:37 pm

**OOC - JP Between Sam and Tarra - Thanks Sam!**

Sam took a few deep breaths, her chest heaved as she tried to get a hold of her emotions. Turley took Bug, Turley was a creep, and always had been. He'd... she sighed and closed her eyes for a second, listening to Nakali and Tarra. "I can take care of the seeing things..." She said, moving over towards her. She leaned against Tarra, "This is going to feel weird." She warned, before all but climbing onto Tarra to bite the blindfold and tug it down.

Feeling her climbing atop her, Tarra froze and waited. Teeth and lips close to her temple, she nodded her head up and down waiting for the fabric to clear her eyes. "That's better," she said, looking around. "Well, maybe not better, but at least I can see." Looking at Sam, she said, "Thanks, Mei Dade."

Sam nodded, then pushed herself off as much as she could with her arms behind her back. "Alright, so...situation...you, me, Nakali are here and awake...looks like Lu, Shoddy and Titan are still out from the gas...Bug was taken by Turley... door is locked from the outside, probably one to two guards out there. Phil and Jack are meeting with M-the Captain... did I miss anything?"

~Tag Nakali / Shoddy / Lu

"Biggest thing you missed is how come you know them, I think." Tarra glanced at Nakali for a moment, then back at Sam. "Just curious I think, but it might help us with a few things." Shifting back and forth, Tarra tried to ignore her fears and the sinking feeling in her gut. After they took Bug, she thought that she might be next. "Can we get out of these things on our arms?"

Sam sighed, then looked away. "It's not an easy thing to explain, how I know them." She grunted, "Lean forward, let me look at the bonds."

Tarra let that go. It would be a lot easier to discuss the ins and outs after they were free, or safe, or together. It might be temporary anyway, if they were going to split them up...

Tarra leaned over. "Here," she said to Sam. "What's your assessment?"

"We're humped..." Sam replied, looking at the bonds. "Plastic zips."

"So, we're stuck." There was a moment where her voice almost froze in her throat. "I..." Her green eyes were subdued, but there was a question she needed to ask. "I want to know if we're all going to be separated?" She avoided looking at the others. "Or will we be left together?"

"I don't know...Turley always picks out a someone to be his plaything, let's just hope he doesn't break Bug. Although, maybe if he does, they'll kill him. It's past time." She grunted, then shook her head. "They'll probably take me, but, you guys...I don't know."

"Hell," Tarra said. "What do they want with you?" She looked at Sam as calmly as she could. "It might be too much, or too long... but until they come back? It looks like we have some time..."

Sam sighed, looking away. "Okay, so, Jack and Phil...are...they're my brothers."

"So, Mei Dade," Tarra said. "I guess that kind of makes them my brothers too? In a sick, psychotic, and completely unrelated way?" She was trying for a joke, but her concerns were more on the forefront than anything else. "So... you know the drill then?"

"Mostly...I never was entirely involved, they loved it, but I..." She sighed, "There's a reason 'family' has a bad meaning for me."

"And, so we're here with your family because...?" There had to be more, thought Tarra. "They seem like they have an axe to grind, Sam."

Sam sighed, "Listen, when I was 15, I left, and in the family, that's a big enough reason to kill you, but in the process of stealing a shuttle to leave... I killed four of the slavers."

"I guess that might be considered bad for business then, huh?" asked Tarra. "Why couldn't you just go? You weren't a slave."

Sam laughed harshly, "Because it's like the Earth-That-Was Mafia, once you're in, you can't leave. Know too much. And it's family, they don't like people leaving."

Sam paused for a second, "And maybe the fact that I had to steal a shuttle was also part of it."

"Oh." Tarra didn't understand. It seemed far too easy for her to leave her family. It was a one-way invitation. Out. "So, they wanted us all as extras. You're the main course and apparently, Bug is the appetizer." Tarra blinked a bit, chewing the tears back in her cheeks. "What would expect to happen to us, then?"

"Um, so, okay, they're going to figure out where you'd be best sold as. General labor, whoring, specialty, or something else. Find a seller, then, well, sell..."

"Oh," said Tarra. "That'll happen when we get somewhere? Or mid-flight?"

"Well, the grading you might be mid-flight. Selling, no, planet-side."

"Grading." Tarra's voice sank. "What's that entail." Her voice was slowly losing a high point. The whoring part was giving her pause. What the hell would a Chef be of use as a slave? She couldn't be cooking all the time, could she?

"Well, they're going to look at fitness, beauty, ask you questions about skills... Generally speaking, cooperating is better, but people rarely cooperate."

"Ah." Tarra's answers were getting shorter and shorter. "I think I should be all right. Skill set is fairly routine. And the other stuff. Well, they can judge that for themselves, I should imagine." There was a moment she took a deep breath. "It won't matter if we cooperate or not. They'll take us all away, like Bug. After all, we're nobody's... without hope."

Sadly, it was mostly true. "Don't worry, we're still missing people, so, Kynthia, Ameri, Paul and Nabaal...they're not here, they might have been missed. They'll figure out how to get us out." Sam replied, "Just, play nice."

"Play," said Tarra, picking up on the word. "I'll try to play. Nice." Her shoulders shuddered infinitesimally, and she nodded. "They won't get much from me either way," she said. "I don't taste good at all."

"They're Slavers, not Reavers." Sam retorted, "They don't eat people."

"Oh," said Tarra, her voice taking on an edge. "You don't need to swallow when you taste."

"You're not making much sense." Sam said, looking over at her. "Take a deep breath, it'll work out. Gotta believe that, 'kay?"

Taking a deep breath she nodded. "Just not ready for whoring..." It was a whisper, and she felt her tears well up. And then she swallowed them. "I'll believe you, Sam," she said. "But I won't get taken. Not without a fight."

"Don't expect you to. Fight 'em. You have my permission to kill Jack or Phil, or both..."

Tarra's eyes were remote and she looked at Sam squarely. "I intend to," she said, her voice icy. "Won't let 'em take anyone. At all."

Sam sighed and threw her head against the wall, letting it thump. "That's the spirit. Just kill 'em..." 'Cause I don't know if I can.

"You're in no shape to, Sam," said Tarra. Turning to Nakali only slightly, she exchanged a look with him. "Might be a good time to find strength in the strangest of places." And she turned to the rest of the crew. "We could have more going for us when the others wake up." Her voice was a little subdued. "At least, I hope so. We all have to stick together."

"Yeah, we have to stick together, as much as possible. Kick Lu, will you?"

Sliding her foot across, she tapped her leg. "Lu!" Tarra said. "Wake up!" Turning to Sam she said, "Can you reach Shoddy or Tighten?"

~Tag Lu / Shoddy / Tighten / Nakali

USS Legacy
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:23 am

Whilst Sam and Tarra were having a very girly heart to heart, ya know discussing this and that, their possible and unsavoury futures, and the deaths to those that wronged them, Nakali was back upright and sitting, scooting across the grated floor. He work his way back until he hit the far wall, his bound fingers playing across the grime covered metal, seeking out the one thing he knew had to be in this room.

Something broken.

This was after all the place the cargo was thrown, cargo that tended to cry, bleed, vomit and defecate without much care as to where when there was no place to go such as a lavatory. So you had to assume that this was the last place anyone with technical expertise would want to go, it had to be on the bottom of everyone’s lists right after the slaves themselves. So if there was a broken pipe, jagged piece of metal, anything with a edge to it, it would be here somewhere.

Well it wasn’t against this stretch of wall...so he scooted a few more feet to the left and bumped into Shoddy’s sandal clad foot. The offending Scottish appendage recoiled sharply, followed by a sharp intake of breath as the subconscious mind gave way for the awakening conscious mind...and then a snort of derision at the smell of the place.

“What by the great ghost of Epona’s that!” came the young man’s harsh retort at the smell.

“Sorry...” Nakali grunted, working his way to another section of wall that might have what he needed “...Next time room service calls, I’ll make sure to complain about the lackadaisical approach to customer hospitality. Speaking of next time they call, any idea which one of us should go first?”

TAG-All

Nakali
Shoddy

Jake Sjet

Postby Tavey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:22 pm

He punched the intercom, shipwide. "Skip, I've got an idea on how to find these people. Let's use their own devices against them."

Kynthia nodded as she pushed open the engine room door. She stopped dead. Thinking. Her hand grabbed the intercom and toggled the switch.

"Speak that idea, I'm listening. You got a green board up there? I want us moving."

TAG - Paul.

She moved around the engine room easily, adjusting flow here, tweaking something there. The boys had been taking good care, she noted. The Old Girl was running pretty smooth for a ship that had a habit of landing hard. With one hand and one foot on the rungs sunk into the wall of the room, and one foot on a cunningly placed plate over the engine, she was able to check something else.

Something that didn't make her happy.

She had a vague memory of giving her rifle to someone. But had nothing more. An' why she would give it away was beyond her. But the space where it used to lie hidden was empty.

Climbing down again, she shook her head. it would come. They'd be needing her shootin' ability soon enough.

She made her way forward, with the rest of the folk onboard, so they could talk about a plan, while the ship sped through the black.

TAGs

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby SDJThorin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 pm

[ On the Slaver ship ]

Titan had been hit and hit hard. Apparently the Slavers didn't want him to wake up before they'd put him in a cell, or these were just the type that liked to kick the crap out of people.

He found himself blinded in a stinking hole, and could hear things moving and making noises, but nothing made any sense. He decided the best thing to do would be to play dead until he wasn't so addled in the brainpan.

Time passed and slowly the noises became sounds, became words, became clarity.

With clarity came purpose. He silently shifted his body and was rewarded with the knowledge that he still had his Tools.

He listened to what was happening and heard only the butterfly's crew. So, they were all locked up together, good.

With a few silent twists and contortions, he had his arms from behind his back and the blindfold pulled off. Out of his braids came a small thin blade. A bloody nick and a moment later he was free.

He looked around to find only some of the crew with him, which wasn't so good.

"Well thish ish a fine pickle." Titan garbled. "Who whanst out?"

[ Tag - Crew in the cell ]
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Curtin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:29 pm

"Speak that idea, I'm listening. You got a green board up there? I want us moving."

"Green across the board Skip. Just say the word, and we be movin'" Paul cleared his throat. "As for my idea, they found us by using a bug planted on Bug, no? Why not use their own tricks against them? If they stuck one of those in Bug, I reckon they stick 'em in more people. And I'll also reckon that they operate on similar frequencies. Therefore, if we can trace another bug, we can trace those rat bastards."

<tags>

Manheim Fleet Captain

Curtin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby Tavey » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:28 pm

"Works for me!" Called Kynthia. She wiped her hands on a rag as she entered the quiet lounge and galley area. "You two start working on that. An' any other ideas you come up with. Hopefully we can get us close enough to find something soon."

She set down the rag on the counter in the galley.

"I'm thinking they gassed us. Which means couple of us got to suit up an' make sure we ain't leaking." she suddenly said, a gut wrenching feeling punching into her. "They can't have thought any of us were worth money, so we got left. And merchandise that ain't worth nothing, ain't worth keepin' alive."

TAG

She looked for the older soldier and nodded. "You any good with that kind of thing?"

TAG

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby KendleRJ » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:53 pm

[ With the Slavees ]

Tarra smiled, a little relieved that another member of the Crew had awoken. "I would raise my hand, Tighten, but unfortunately, I'm a little tied up at the moment."

~Tag Tighten

Nodding in thanks and with her face a little strained, she tried to keep positive. "Nakali," she said, after he had spoken with Shoddy. "I believe that they might go for one of the women. Might be Sam, but probably me." Tarra tried to butt-shift so she could help herself to standing. "They take Bug first, maybe 'cause of who he is, or maybe 'cause he won't be too much trouble." Looking around at the rest she indicated each one.

"They know Sam and what she's capable of, and you're all men. Probably more 'n capable of taking care of yourselves and causin' trouble, they might figure." Looking down at her slight frame and rubbing her freed wrists, she said, "But I'm awake, unlike Lu, whose giving me some concern I don't mind saying, and I'm looking a little more compliant than y'all."

Biting her lips to try and hold herself together she said, "Yes, everyone, don't bust a gut. I was actually thinking logically." With that, Tarra moved to Lu and checked on her. "She's still breathing," she said and looked at Nakali. "And you? How long we got until your little sideshow hits?" It was a low question, not for everyone, but hell, it was a small place. Perhaps that's why the question seemed filled with more concern than she had meant?

~Tag Lu / Nakali and Slavees

USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Quamie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:38 pm

"Green across the board Skip. Just say the word, and we be movin'" Paul cleared his throat. "As for my idea, they found us by using a bug planted on Bug, no? Why not use their own tricks against them? If they stuck one of those in Bug, I reckon they stick 'em in more people. And I'll also reckon that they operate on similar frequencies. Therefore, if we can trace another bug, we can trace those rat bastards."

Use the bug planted in bug. Tarra had that bug. But how could they trace it? Sure, it might still be live, kept so by Tarra in it's close vicinity. That assumed it ran on EM or by heat, and not by, say, sodium-chloride channels or some such chemistry which would put it only inside a liquid-esque substance to be useful. They really didn't know anything about it. There hadn't been time.

"Works for me!" Called Kynthia. She wiped her hands on a rag as she entered the quiet lounge and galley area. "You two start working on that. An' any other ideas you come up with. Hopefully we can get us close enough to find something soon."

"I'm thinking they gassed us. Which means couple of us got to suit up an' make sure we ain't leaking." she suddenly said, a gut wrenching feeling punching into her. "They can't have thought any of us were worth money, so we got left. And merchandise that ain't worth nothing, ain't worth keepin' alive."

Ameri closed her eyes. "That way they won't be followed by survivors. Less risk of revenge." The medic shuddered. They would have to inspect the entire ship to make sure nothing had been sabotaged. To make sure they could come to the rescue.

They had to find Bug, Tarra, Sam, Lu, Nakali- all of them. Ameri gulped, remembering her time as a slave. The chip. They needed to find a way to use the chip to their advantage. Ameri was no mechanic, but she bent her entire mental focus to trying to find a way to track that chip. It soon became clear she was no mechanic. In matters of physiology, so often things lined out like paths and she was able to steer her focus down the correct path. Kind of like figuring out what kept that tracker working- there were only a certain number of possibilities, and she could easily come up with tests for each, and each combination. But this.. this was much harder.

Ameri was not needed on the bridge. She had forgotten why she'd been sent up there, forgotten to check the scanner. Instead, she began to pace. Down the hallways past the crew quarters to the galley, and then back toward the bridge, then back again. Her footsteps, soft though they always were, sounded loud to her ears. The chip. Sam. Lu. Tarra. Bug. Bug. She had promised him that she would not let anything happen to him. She had not kept her promise. And the others. She knew how her experience with slavers had been. It had been..... unspeakable. Unimaginable. She still had occasional nightmares of that time, and her waking mind continually shied away from thoughts of them.

How to use the tracker to find Bug. How to trace back to the tracker. Step step step step step. Turn. Step step step step step. Her thoughts, the same as her body, were going nowhere. They had to do something! Her faith was falter. The blackness of despair was creeping in on her, its clammy fingers brushing her soul. She shivered, shuddered, wrapped her arms around herself. Blink away the tears, wipe your eyes on your shoulder because you won't let go with your hands. Step step step step. Turn.

"They take Bug first."

Ameri froze. She was unaware that her face had gone pale, pale, almost white. Was she hearing things? She tried again. No, nothing. She was afraid. Panicked. Blocked off.

"Kynthia," she wanted to scream, but it came out as a whisper. A quiet, quiet whisper as she backed toward the galley. Then a great deep breath in to fill her lungs, shatter the panic. "KYNTHIA!!!"

<tag all!>
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Tavey » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:59 am

"Kynthia," she wanted to scream, but it came out as a whisper. A quiet, quiet whisper as she backed toward the galley. Then a great deep breath in to fill her lungs, shatter the panic. "KYNTHIA!!!"

Kynthia dropped the rag she'd been wiping her hands with and took off at a flat out sprint. She pulled her gun from it's holster as she did, barely aware that it was even still there and not removed by the slavers. Grabbing handrails and struts, she pivoted around obstacles until she was heading into the area where she'd heard Ameri scream.

"What? What??" she yelled, looking for the medic. "AMERI!"

TAGs on the ship for all...

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:41 am

“That there’s a fine and interesting point you’ve gone raised.” He grunted, fumbling the wall once more and yet, not a single sharp point or broken piece of metal with the vaguest hint of a edge to it. Just their luck to be snagged by slavers who had a fine and upstanding work ethic when it came to ship board maintenance.

“And its a point...that really bares no need to be thought.” He was now up against the corner of the wall, fingers dancing along the grating and up against the smooth metal wall. He could feel the smooth, melted edges of a fine weld running up along where the two walls met. He looked at Tarra across the others, shrugging.

“I could be hours away, could go in the next couple of seconds. Don’t rightly know how long we were all sleeping beauties. So until it happens I feel it’s not worth the worrying. Besides,” he shuffles into the corner as far as he could “I reckon if it goes off whilst the slavers are here, it’ll give you a nice big distraction in which to make a fine escape. Nothing like a screaming man proclaiming the evils of the great and fluffy Lord to brighten the day and derail the minds of those that should be concentrating on the slaves.”

He let out a snarl.

“Don’t these damn slavers know the meaning of their work? Their meant to make mistakes, like leaving sharp objects near their captives!” he turned into the next wall, grumbling “Someone did not read the rule book for this gig. Makes me a might bit...angered.”

TAG-Slavee's

Nakali 'Xiancho' Sjet

Jake Sjet

Postby Jake Sjet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 am

As it turned out, he was good at it.
Which didn’t mean he enjoyed it.

The air was dry, canned, recycled, and each breath brought with it the taste of stale air from the last folks to use the suit. And the smell, dried sweat and the fear the void did bring upon some folks, well that just worked its way into the Mylar and titanium plating like a fine perfume. It was a scent he’d known before, back in the darker days of his youth when war was a trade a man was eager to learn.

Dressing himself in the space suit brought back memories of a younger Soto Nabaal, scared out of his mind but without much of a direction to retreat in. Sure the suit had been simpler, bulkier, after all it was designed to be put on by a soldier who’d spent the majority of his years picking tubers out of some back water Rim world. And, of course, that suit had come with a mass rejection rifle as well.

This suit did not.

He was stood in the top side airlock, the vacuum pumps hungrily sucking out the atmosphere to allow the outside hatch to swing in and form a ladder for his egress out onto the ship’s hull. But even as the last few breathes of air were sucked from around him, there was time enough for them to transmit a terrible scream. And then silence, a deathly cold silence...

Keep your head down, that's what the EllTee said, keep your head down!

Of course it was a lot simpler to keep your head down when it wasn’t sitting pretty inside a fish bowl of a space helmet, but no one joined the Browncoats for a easy berth now did they? Soto gripped onto the rifle in his hands, the inch thick power cables snaking around his waist and into the heavy back pack. It was a huge piece of equipment, and with all of six minutes of training in its use and maintenance Soto was about as ready as the other soldiers in the platoon to use it.

“Just gotta keep my head down...” he growled into the fogged up face plate, the suits mic not picking up his words as he looked out across the rocky plain. The platoon were secreted in the rim of a massive impact crater, a crater in which sat a fuel extraction rig that was by rights the property of the Alliance. It was his job, and the job of the fourteen others in their vac suits and fine rifles, to keep the Alliance from getting it back.

So when the attack came there was no warning scream from the shells, or the throaty roar of the missiles arcing down from on high. There was no air in which to allude to the horrors of war, to carry the screams of the young and the dying as the reality of their predicament came. That task was left to the inbuilt microphone inside each suit, and the voice of the person inside it.

Little geysers of fine lunar dust shot up into the air as hypersonic rounds slammed into the crater wall, turning the world before Soto into a mist filled world of phantoms and wraiths. He returned fire, resting the mass rejection rifles length on the crater wall and pulled the trigger, letting the magnetic coil spit out a stream of frozen heavy water laced with mercury to give it stopping power. He didn’t have a target, couldn’t see a thing, but he kept on firing all the same. Odds said he’d get lucky sooner or later.

And in vacuum, all you needed was a lucky shot, a nick here or there. Just like the shot that grazed the shoulder of the man lying next to him. All he heard was the sudden rush of air coming over the suits head set, and a sudden gasp of surprise. He turned to look, seeing the plume of white air rushing out of the suit of his fellow. And he could see the man’s face, that look of shock and surprise...and shame. He knew, deep down in his heart of hearts, he was about to become a grisly spectacle...

He screamed until the last breath of air was sucked from his lungs...and then something downright god awful happened. And it happened all in silence.

...He shook himself slightly, taking in a deep breath of stale air and began to make his way up the ladder, and into the skin of the Monarchs hull. No dust, no crater rim, and more importantly no Alliance sharp shooter looking to add a scratch on his rifle with Soto’s name on it. Didn’t stop his hands from shaking a little bit from the memory.

“I’m out.” He coughed into the suits mic, hoping someone was listening up on the bridge as he sang out “Everything shiny inside?...Come on someone make some noise, that's an order.”

He didn’t hear anything for a moment, but it gave him all the time to get to his feet and look out across the nights sky. A lot of stars to get lost in, a lot of thoughts to get lost in too.

TAG-Ship board crazy fok.

Soto Nabaal

Jake Sjet

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:09 am

"Tighten could help you, you know." Tarra was quiet and spoke to Nakali across the rest. "He smuggled a small blade in his hair." She waggled her free hands and would have helped, but she was preoccupied and checked on Shoddy, Sam and Lu again.

~Tag Tighten

"Lu still ain't awake, Sam," Tarra said. "I'm truly worried about her."

~Tag Sam

"Check your watch please," said Tarra to Nakali, her voice still urgent. "I ... I mean ... WE don't leave anyone behind." Her little slip small in comparison to her resolve.

~Tag Nakali

It didn't matter that she wouldn't leave him to be a distraction for the rest, nor leave him there at all to suffer alone. She fussed over the others, letting him alone to do Nakali things, knowing full well she would stay if it meant they could all go. But distractions and her own stupidity aside, she was more worried about Bug than anything else. And Sam's words hadn't inspired her with hope either.

The young'un was not back; if Sam thought they would get questioned and all, how much could they ask a kid? It was the sinking feeling in her gut that finally prompted her to get up and approach the door. "I can't sit and wait for them to take us all. If they come again, I'll fight."

~Tag Slavees

USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Curtin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:12 am

Paul was mid-sentence when he heard the scream. He closed his outh, and looked at the woman in the flight deck with him. "You hear that?"

<tag>

"Alright, I've got the auto-pilot set, it'll start moving us just fast enough to make a hard target to hit. See if you can ping those locators. Bug's was operating at a low frequency. 94.857 megahertz. I'll expect yo to have found it when I get back. I'm going to investigate."

<tag>

Paul stood, and puled Sam's gun out of his waistband. Slowly, he moved down the corridor towards the source of the screaming. "Skip?" He shouted as he slid down the corridor.

<tag>

Manheim Fleet Captain

Curtin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby Galifestus » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:19 am

A shudder ran through the slave carrier from stern to stem. On the bridge alarms were going off in four different consoles. Clomping footfalls echoed everywhere as booted feet ran for one thing and another. In the engine room, two bodies slumped over equipment and visibly decayed.

A few moments later the captain looked through the heavy lead infused glass into the radiation hot room. The bodies were so much bone and sludge littering the floor. He asked who they had been.

“Watson and Lee, sir,” responded his chief engine mechanic. He and his next best were climbing into rad suits to go into the hot room and fix whatever had gone so horribly wrong.

The captain grumbled and glanced around at the blanched faces of his crew assembled there. Only Turley would not meet his eyes, but everyone wore the same expression of fear. Nobody liked the thought of being sludged by radiation. A quick death, sure enough, but not a merry one.

“Back to your stations, people!” he ordered. He retained enough from his experience commanding a platoon of light infantry in the war to know that sharp orders to follow were often a comfort, if a cold one.

If only he had some to follow.

The repairs would take some time he knew, but he stood and watched until they were finished and he had a report from the mechanic. The report wasn’t a good one. They had gotten the engines back online, but they wouldn’t run above twenty percent without blowing again, maybe for good this time. The engine’s systems had been damaged in some complex way that the captain could not quite comprehend as the mechanic explained it in detail. The main point was that such a malfunction was virtually impossible all on its own.

The only good news was that the rest of the ship forward of the engines including all the quarters and pens as well as the bridge and commissary would be alright in any case because of the massive wall of shielding between them and the engine section. The stock would be alright, though at twenty percent they would get to the markets days later than planned. That would mean more costs for their upkeep, but also more time to get them sorted and assigned. For the meantime till they got things sorted, they would eat cheap field ration packs and drink water. Exercising them would be right off the docket till things got into more satisfactory shape.

It had to be that kid Turley had let loose, but it seemed real unlikely. How could a kid get the engines into such rough shape in so short a time? Anyway it would have to be checked. He walked over to the wall communicators.

“Miller, Fong, grab your gear and get back down here to the engine room. I got a rat problem.”

Surely the little creep would be no match for his two best sneakers.

~Tags
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby SDJThorin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:00 pm

[ Onboard the Slave ship ]

With Tarra's quip, Titan slit the bonds at his ankles and got up, "Waul I gush dat we ur going tu fight, soo...", he mushed, it was hard talking with all those bruises.

He moved quickly, if painfully, and freed everyone in the cell.

Once that was out of the way, he made his way over to the door.

He had the tools, but the big question was, could it be tampered with, to get it opened.

[ Tag - All in the cell ]
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Aboard the Slaver..

Postby Tavey » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Sitting in his boardroom, the captain of the ship snarled at his underlings to get the chaos under control.

He knew that somewhere on this ship was a loose slave. Someone who had the ability to make them dead in The Black. And that was not acceptable. He sent out a message to his home base, requesting backup in case the brat had done too much damage already.

Pointing at one of the men standing nearby, waiting for his direction, he ordered "Bring me all the new slaves. We start processing them as soon as we have figured out what they are good for. And find me whoever it is that is sabotaging my ship. I want to see them before I kill them. Dong ma?"

A few minutes later three armed guards approached the cell where the Monarch crew was held. One shook his head in anger. "What the gorram hell were they doing all in one place? You were trusting that our beloved missing one would actually play nice?" He growled.

Motioning through the door with the rather large gun towards the back wall, he instructed them all to move immediately and stand with their backs to the opening.

"Get on. I will shoot the pregnant one if you don't get your miserable bodies back there. Right now."

TAG - The Monarch crew in the cell.

"You're about to begin processing. Forget your names as of now. You are all nameless scum. Not important enough to even have numbers until we assign them to you with your slaver mark."

TAGs

On the Monarch, Kynthia found Ameri and listened to her words. She shook her head. "Ameri.. stop.. what do you mean?" she demanded. "You can tell where Bug is? Can you show us on the starmap?"

Tag Ameri.

Looking at Paul, she sighed. "I need to know where to go. I ain't go no clue where to begin."

TAG - Paul

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Quamie » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Paul stood, and puled Sam's gun out of his waistband. Slowly, he moved down the corridor towards the source of the screaming. "Skip?" He shouted as he slid down the corridor.

On the Monarch, Kynthia found Ameri and listened to her words.

"I heard it, I don't know how. I mean, I do know, but I'm not supposed to. I heard Tarra's voice. They took Bug!" Ameri was babbling, panicking.

She shook her head. "Ameri.. stop.. what do you mean?" she demanded. "You can tell where Bug is? Can you show us on the starmap?"

Ameri was shivering now. She shook her head. "I don't know. I mean, I can try. But... I don't know how it works. How can I make it work?" Her eyes shot to Paul as he approached, and she cringed, ducking to hide behind Kynthia. "Don't shoot me..." she was miserable.

Looking at Paul, she sighed. "I need to know where to go. I ain't go no clue where to begin."

TAG - Paul
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Firefly: Monarch