Family Frustrations.

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:12 pm

Date : Mid-March 2521

The Monarch slid towards the Black. Her pivotal engines and thrusters working well to push her into the upper atmo. Kynthia grinned at Shoddy and Bug. They'd done some excellent work.

As they ascended and pierced the edge of the Atmosphere, there was a sudden Shudder along her entire length. The ship began to shake with the turbulence buffeting her sides. Kynthia looked towards the front of the ship and shook her head.

"Get it together!!" She yelled to everyone in general as she made her way forwards.

TAG - All

Behind them, as they fought through the forces of the transition between planetside and space, several other ships rose from the surface. Ships took off Dyton all the time. It was normal. One of them in particular, a small sleek silver thing, hovered far enough behind them that they wouldn't notice it, and close enough to get a heading when they made it to The Black.

TAGs.
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby KendleRJ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Tarragon Hunter, resting in her bunk, held on for dear life as she felt the engines roar to life to break atmo. Then a sudden shudder shook the Monarch something fierce, which caused her to instinctively bolt upright and head to her shelves and the plants she had stored. She had managed a bit of rest; apparently enough for her since her brain had started talkin again, and her mind started wanderin. The plants were thankfull stowed carefully and rotated out when harvested; the last hard landing on Beaumont almost cost her a whole crop and extra dirt, so she had taken to being more careful with them all.

As the Old Girl settled in some, she smelled her fingers as she fussed amongst her plants. Tarra was glad to remember some of the places she had found them; herbs and such that graced the foods of recipes she had created, meals she had prepared and flavours she had shared with those here and before. The crushed herbs gave off a heady aroma and for a spell, she was back on Londinium, or Sinhon, or even Bernadette, enjoying community, conversation, belonging. At least that was how she remembered it from the outside looking in.

Door locked and new outfit on, she felt a bit lighter and freer as she pulled a few of the ripened leaves and fruits to be cooled in the Monarch's refrigeration units. She hadn't felt the need to worry, but as they drew closer to Hera and further from the ideas of regular stops, the need for rationing became more and more apparent. Her tears had dried since she had entered awhile ago, her worries were settled deep inside of her gut, and her thoughts drifted to the others aboard the Monarch.

Bug and Shoddy were a great team; other than this minor shudder, they had taken off cleanly from the surface and were now in the Black. Her newer quarters were larger and better suited for her plants; although it had taken a bit to move, it was well worth being away from the memories and closer to the Kitchen. Gunny Nabaal would be there until Hera she figured, and with the new passenger Paul Manser, that would well round out the manifest. At least she would be sharing kitchen duties and giving her time to do other things aboard.

Sitting down and curled up on her bunk, Tarra used a well-worn data pad of sorts to begin composing a letter to family on Silence, and a thankful hello to the Reverend. There were those she couldn't forget, and as they moved further from Dyton, and the last vestiges of recollections best put behind her, she placed her mental musings upon the tablet and kept to herself. After all, she needed to give those that were out there some well-deserved rest from her intrusions, and before the tears threatened to come once more, she wiped her eyes angrily and set her focus to the words before her.

"Dear Johnsons," it began...

~Tag any
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Image
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
User avatar
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: Um... *looking around* Here?

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:10 pm

Far behind the Monarch sat an unobtrusive craft. It had taken off at around the same time as the larger, less pretty to look at ship. Many vessels travelled the skies around this area. It was close enough to the Core worlds to have some traffic.

This ship had three people on it. All three worked for a syndicate. And all three had been watching specifically for The Monarch for some time. Not because of who her captains were, or her doctor. But for other reasons. Things built into the very fabric of the bird they followed.

Two of them glanced at each other and nodded. All was according to plan and place. They would enjoy watching the outcome. It was in their nature.

The third simply activated his cortex screen and sent a message.

"They are on their way to Carthage. This is not the time."

He steepled his fingers and regarded the small dot on the far screen as it sped away from them on to other adventures.

"We need to divert them somehow from making the most direct route to Hera." He said. "Find me cargo I can hire them for."
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:27 am

The shuddering stopped as they reached the smoothness of the Black. Kynthia scolded Lu, Bug and Shoddy good with more than a bit of good cheer. She was simply relieved to be off planet and up in the black. There were several lovely large containers of cargo, and they still had two paying passengers.

It would be a good flight.

"Lu! You tryin' to make us all bit of metal skippin' off Atmo?" she laughed as she walked into the bridge area. "Or was that your way of sayin' goodbye to Dyton Colony?"

TAG - Lu.

"Make tracks to the main city on Carthage. We've got a shipment to drop off. Ain't sure from there, but I aim to keep heading for Hera. We've got few weeks to fill afore we need to get there. Ain't no need to be asking for boredom troubles by just sitting around getting drunk. So we'll keep us working all the way."

TAG - Lu

Kynthia's ear caught something in the ship. She paled. The last time she'd heard anything that sounded off, the entire ship had torn in two. She pressed her ear against the wall, listening carefully to the sound. A small, occasional creak. Probably nothing.

She hoped it was nothing.
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Sam swore as she looked through the cupboards, trying to find the chocolate. Why was it she couldn't find the chocolate? One would think the way that Tarra kept the kitchen it would be easy to find things. Half of the contents of the cupboards were now on the counter, with Sam resisting the urge to throw it over her shoulder in frustration at the fact that she couldn't find the one thing she wanted. It was horrible, ever since Tarra had introduced her to chocolate, she had craved every month...

"FINALLY!" She said grabbing the fudge from the last cabinet. It wasn't a lot, only two pieces, but it might be enough. At least something to make her feel better over the cramps. Now, she might also grab half a dozen more ABDs from the infirmary... For now, though, she was just going to be enjoying the chocolate...
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Jake Sjet » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Revenge is a poisoned chalice from which all whom seek it drink from...

Wise words, spoken by wise men, or possibly wise guys, but Nakali didn’t really care much for it. He stood in the middle of the cargo bay, his jacket and shirt neatly folded and placed atop a cargo container of some sort, leaving his chest bare and his skin alive in its camouflage styled colouring. The baby new pink was steadily fading, the chemical additives and scientific wonder drugs having slowly worked themselves into a dull stupor. Here and there small islands of wrinkled, heat warped skin remained as testaments to the stupidity of fools and their mad quests. So tightly wrapped in his thoughts, he didn't even notice the intense rumble of th Monarchs fiery blast off.

He stood, arms held out by his sides, hands balled into tight white knuckled fists, his eyes lightly closed and his breathing controlled. In with a single breath of air, just enough to inflate the lungs and provide his body with the boost to keep its metabolism rolling, then out in a long exhausted breath. With this he sought to remove what hatred he could muster, and all vile and pestilent thoughts. They tasted bitter sweet on his tongue, each one tantalising in its ability to sway his thinking.

The Buddha was once asked that, if he were wronged, would he seek revenge?

In with a cold, glistening breath of recycled ships air, and out with all the bile and senseless rage he’d brought with him from his starting point on Hera. Tarra had been right, that he was the one making all the choices. It didn’t matter if he believed, or ‘they' believed, that his body was host to the fragments of his ego working him through life as a democratic process. It didn’t matter that his sanity was tested every 13 and a half hours, or that he had dragged innocents into his foolish darken life. He had made choices, and now he choose to live with them.

The Buddha replied, "If I was wronged and could seek revenge, I would."

He rose his hands up slowly until they were level with his shoulders, his feet clicking together at the heels until he stood like a vision of the crucifixion. His breathing now stilled, he stayed that way for a unreasonable amount of time, letting his blood boil, his muscles ache and his lungs scream for the oxygen they so dearly needed. And it was only at that moment just before the brain’s autopilot would kick in a gag reflex to get everything rolling along again that he took in a breath, quenching the fires and leashing the beast of reflex. His was a life of control, but external and internal. He slowly drew his arms forwards, bending them along the way whilst rolling back onto the balls of his feet.

Then the Buddha said, "But if I did so what good would that do?"

He let his body move through the motions, his body reacting to movements designed to centre him physically, and mental. His mind, be it as a singular whole or a fragmented governing trinity, did not control the outward form or motion of his psychical being. He felt...peaceful, alone, in movement and mental clarity. And in all of that meditation, he found himself answering the Buddha’s philosophical riddle.

What good did revenge bring?
It just would.

TAG-Anyone

Nakali Xiancho
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X


Image

"I will eat your soul :3"
User avatar
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
 
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:30 pm
Location: Britian

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:53 pm

**JP of a sort between Sam and Tarra - snipped for length. If you want to read the full version, please follow this link: http://tenforward.slasims.com/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=15837**

It was stifling in the bunk, and Tarra had finally wracked her brains enough while writing 'home'. It wasn't really home, but, short of the Monarch, it was the only other place with family. So, she dragged her paper and pen, envelope and information, and walked to the other place in the ship she felt comfortable; she went into the Kitchen.
     
"Got any more chocolate?" Sam asked.
     
Their conversation wound itself around chocolate and all manner of things aboard the Monarch until both of them agreed to go to work out in the Cargo Bay.
     
Sam laughed as she got up and headed to the cargo bay. She didn't pay much attention to Nakali who was standing in an odd position with his shirt off. As long as he was alive, she didn't care much of what he was doing.

Tarra put her things away in her bunk and moved quickly to the Hold. Running unexpectedly into Nakali, his eyes closed and shirt off, he seemed to be doing some sort of meditation or centring exercise. She noticed that his skin was looking better, nothing like it had done after Sam had stripped him bare after Leviathan. Because of her past run-in with Nakali in the Cargo Bay, she stole a quick glance at Sam who was already there and stretching. Yep, it looked as though this Nakali wasn't a figment of her imagination. She took a deep breath and moved to Sam, trying not to intrude or disturb. But didn't want to surprise him either, and she cleared her throat as she padded by. "Let me just do some stretching Sam..."

Sam nodded as she stretched her quads. She certainly didn't mind watching Tarra stretch. "So, what type of sparring are you interested in today?"

"Hand to hand first, please," Tarra answered, pulling her head towards her knees as she bent over. Voice slightly muffled she said, "Knives later, will that work?" They spoke and she stretched, shoulders, arms, legs and then finally spine. As soon as she was done, she stood in an easy stance.

"Sure, interested in grappling?"

"Like wrestling?" Tarra cocked her head sideways, both ways as she rotated her neck. "I've done Tai Chi; I can try it..."

"Yes, like wrestling." Sam replied, stretching her arms last. "Promise not to hurt you."

Tarra's eyes twinkled at her. "Thanks for the consideration," she said. "And I'll try not to kick your ass too bad."

~Tag Any
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Image
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
User avatar
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: Um... *looking around* Here?

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby SDJThorin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Titan had boarded the Monarch just before take-off; carting one final purchase over his back. He did not bother to look back, there was nothing left on Dyton for him and only a grand adventure ahead; at least that's what he hoped would be there.

As he was still unsure of what to expect from this butterfly's crew and her routines, he stayed out of the way during take-off. He used the time to inspect 'Lucia', as this was her first time in space after her refit. Carl had done a wonderful job, everything fit to perfection, there were no leaks and everything stayed in place during the very shaky transition into the black.

Now that they were moving, he took the time to bathe and groom, then he dressed. It was comfortable and functional, a basic spacer's jumpsuit, however it was tailored to fit him perfectly.

He left Lucia, and walked the gangplank leading into the main cargo bay where the other passenger was doing some form of meditation. Titan, never having witnessed this form, stopped to observe it.

Later, two of the crew entered and talked of sparring, he shook himself and continued down into the cargo bay.

"Hello, am I permitted to workout in here as well?" Titan asked of Tarra and Sam quietly, so as not to disturb the man's meditation. "I could use 'Lucia', but the ceiling is a little short for anything but light stretching. As you can probably tell, I am new to travelling on cargo ships and there does not appear to be any markings to tell passengers where we are allowed to be. I assume that there are places that I am not allowed to enter, or am I wrong?"

[ Tag - Tarra and Sam, and anyone else who wants to jump in ]
Current Characters:
  • -- CyberPunk 2268: GM / Storyteller (My CyberPunk 2020 SIM -- PM me to join)
  • -- deadToronto: Karl (Normal -- Mechanical Engineer -- All Flesh Must Be Eaten SIM)

Retired Characters:
  • -- Firefly Monarch: Svek (Security Specialist), Titan (Passenger -- Businessman)
  • -- USS Caduceus (Mirror): K'retok, of the House of T'var (Klingon -- XO of A.S. Medusa)

Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!
User avatar
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: The Dark Future

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Galifestus » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:13 pm

It was like there was a thundercloud hanging over a picnic. That's what it was like out in the main parts of the ship with the most part of the crew. Something in the air unfamiliar to the urchin who now lay under the spinning core of the engine watching the lights dance.

On the note of his mechanical senses, the engine was purring right along, but it seemed like it was chattering wierd. Try as he might he couldn't trace the chattering to the engine itself. He began to think it must be something else, someplace else on the little ship. Later on, after folks settled down, he'd have to go looking for the chattering tick, but for now he was content to lay there watching atoms burn.

He stirred himself, a certain particular pressure causing discomfort until he was forced to go to his quarters for a little spell. His cabin was the very smallest of the crew compartments, just suited for a smallish person, located on the walk from the dining lounge to the bridge, almost the other end of the ship. He'd have to brave the open spaces to manage his personal affairs, which were becoming more urgent moment by moment.

He stood on tiptoes looking out the porthole down the hall to the dining lounge. Seeing it clear, he opened the hatch and made a dash to the open hatch at the other end. Scanning around the room, he could see four people. The giant, Sam, Tarra and the fire man, standing there all creepy like always. Making himself small and inconspicuous, he crossed the open to the hatch opposite and got into the forward walk, overhearing something about working out and patoots in immenant danger of being kicked. He made up his mind to see that.

It was clear sailing to his door, and he dropped down the hatch without touching the ladder. After a few moments of private endeavor he felt much more at his ease.
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
User avatar
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:47 am
Location: Kelso, Washington, USA

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Sam Crerar » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:42 pm

"Hello, am I permitted to workout in here as well?" Titan asked of Tarra and Sam quietly, so as not to disturb the man's meditation. "I could use 'Lucia', but the ceiling is a little short for anything but light stretching. As you can probably tell, I am new to travelling on cargo ships and there does not appear to be any markings to tell passengers where we are allowed to be. I assume that there are places that I am not allowed to enter, or am I wrong?"

Sam looked over at Titan, or Tighten, she wasn't sure which it was, she'd heard it both ways. "Well, so long as you ain't goin' nosing in the boxes, you're free to work out here when a member of the crew's in here. Asides from that, the bridge and engine room are off limits without a crewman with you at the very least, 'cause we don't know you none too well yet. If the whole idea of you living here works out and all, them conditions may change a might bit. Dong ma?" She asked, though she was slightly distracted by Bug sneaking around, but she didn't bother to say anything. The kid seemed shy enough.
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:33 pm

Tarra looked between Nakali Sjet and Tighten Edwards and simply raised her eyebrows. "I think, with exercise, more is definitely the merrier." Her mind tried to process the need for Crew to be present when passengers were in the Cargo Bay and her head tipped back quite far looking up at the towering man who spoke to them. Whatever was he wearing? "Are you going to be working out in that?" Tarra asked quietly, looking at the well-defined musculature barely covered in his clothing.

She turned to the rolled up mats that the Reverend had left behind. Silent words of thanks murmured to him and she pulled one of them away from their place on one of the struts, kicking it gently out with a well-practiced flair. "Plenty of room Tighten," she said and pointed to the other end of the mat. "Sam and I are sparring for now, and if we're quiet and keep Sam's begging for mercy to a dull roar, we may still be able to continue without disturbing Nakali at all."

The smile stayed on her lips as she watched him briefly before turning back to Sam. He really did look much better... and that made her feel better too. "Ready, Mei Dade?" Oh, this was going to hurt, but hell, what didn't kill her would make her stronger...

~Tag y'all in the Cargo Bay and break it up... of course :D
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Image
The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
User avatar
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2260
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:10 pm
Location: Um... *looking around* Here?

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby SDJThorin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm

Titan gave a genuine smile at the mis-phrasing of his name. It was something that he had heard before, but he still thought it funny.

"Thanks, I'll remember that and I'll just go get my things before anyone leaves." He responded to them both, with a wink and more grinning. He turned and went back to get his workout gear. It didn't take long, as he had hoped for that response.

He took his place on the offered mat and started off with the sixteen ritualized Stáv stances; all slowly and methodically done, then moved on to various fencing forms.

After removing his shirt, he finished off with dance. It started as a slow waltz that moved into the faster more flamboyant forms of the Mau Rakau. By the end, he had worked up a fine sweat, with the heat visibly radiating off his back and shoulders. On his final move, a high tumbling jump which ended in a four limbed cat's landing, his sweat splashed onto the plating in a puddle around him.

Panting, he stood and wiped himself down. The entire workout had taken only 20 minutes.

[ Tag - All in Cargo Bay ]
Current Characters:
  • -- CyberPunk 2268: GM / Storyteller (My CyberPunk 2020 SIM -- PM me to join)
  • -- deadToronto: Karl (Normal -- Mechanical Engineer -- All Flesh Must Be Eaten SIM)

Retired Characters:
  • -- Firefly Monarch: Svek (Security Specialist), Titan (Passenger -- Businessman)
  • -- USS Caduceus (Mirror): K'retok, of the House of T'var (Klingon -- XO of A.S. Medusa)

Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!
User avatar
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: The Dark Future

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:56 pm

Kynthia was peaceful. She stretched out in the lounge with a book. Ironically parked in the same place that Chuy Lo used to read his Book. Hers was less full of philosophy and Good Words, and more bodice-rippery and easy to deal with.

It was a distraction. She didn't want to deal with people, or things, situations or emergencies. The trip to Carthage wouldn't take too long. The ten cases stacked in the cargo hold would pay their way to Hera if they went by way of the space bazaar to refuel.

She would need to let Titan know the direction that they were heading, so he could make whatever arrangements he needed to. It would be odd to have him around, but the money he'd paid would keep them flying, just a little bit longer.

She looked around the lounge. Seeing nobody obvious, she turned towards the small screen mounted on the wall and opened the message she'd recieved earlier. Reading it again, she could feel the tension coil in her body. Someone was being very specific... in a non-specific way.

"I have seen the rain
I have felt the pain
I don't know where I'll be tomorrow
I don't know where I'm going
I don't even know where I've been
But i know I'd like to see them again.

Spend my days just searching
Spend my nights in dreams
Stop looking over my shoulder baby
I've stopped wonderin' what it means
Drop out, burn out, solidier, whore, they've said I should've been more
Probably so if i hadn't of been in that gorram independence war."


The words scrolled across the screen twice. Then faded to be replaced by an image of a lone tree, branches seeking the morning sky in bare supplication. There were rows of faded headstones and crosses just visible in the distance.

Serenity Valley.

She was being sent the location where she was expected to be, come the morning of the Tenth Anniversary.

She closed the message again, and stared out of the tiny windows mounted high on the walls. Her mind wandering along long ago paths and half-remembered nightmares. She wasn't sure if she actually did remember any of the places she'd been. Wasn't sure if she'd made up the dreams. Her hand strayed up to touch the knotted scar that ran along her scalp. She absently began to knead the skin as pain rippled into her skull from it again.

TAG - anyone who's around.
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Quamie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:58 pm

"It hurts again, doesn't it." The small voice came from Ameri as she appeared around the corner, almost as if ghosting from the very ship itself. The medic knew every nook and cranny of the ship, every hiding place, by heart. Even the new ones, she had set to learning right away.

She curled herself up on the seat next to Kynthia, but didn't not try to look over her shoulder- or at least, it didn't seem like she was snooping. She smiled. "Once, I thought I'd never be able to survive in the Black. It was too dangerous, too scary. And now... Now I get here and I don't care where we're going. I get up here and I breath a breath of fresh air. You can lie on in the cubbyhole above the bridge and look out at the stars and just float away. All your cares just dissipate."

Ameri grinned over at Kynthia. "It looks like you're in need of your cares dissipating."
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 pm

Ameri grinned over at Kynthia. "It looks like you're in need of your cares dissipating."

Kynthia almost pulled her hand away from the scar guiltily. Then smiled and kept working her fingers along the ridge.

"Aye. It's hurting. Not the way it was though. Just aching some." she said. "Hope that it goes away."

Settling back in her seat, she watched the stars for a brief moment. Still looking up at the tiny pinpricks in the velvet black, she murmured "It feels better out here. Almost like understandin' what's happenin'. I ain't wanting none to step onto the ground again any time soon."

She pointed to the screen on the wall.

"Browncoats are musterin'. That's going to be one excitin' place." She commented. "You lookin' forward to the Tenth?"

TAG - Ameri
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Quamie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:28 pm

"Browncoats are musterin'. That's going to be one excitin' place." She commented. "You lookin' forward to the Tenth?"

Ameri shrugged, and looked like she was about to start chewing her nails, but she didn't. "Not really." She smiled appeasingly to Kynthia. "I know you fought in the War, but I was much too young to do anything but hear about it. It seems to me the War gets fought again every year, in smaller bits. This is making to be a bigger bit."

Ameri was never one to enjoy trouble or violence, and U-Day always promised a little of each.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:17 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Sam Crerar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:03 pm

Sam took off her outer shirt, leaving just her wife beater on. It'd be easier for her to fight that way. "Alright, now, you sure you don't want me to take it easy on you?

Tarra was already set to take a beating, wearing her cropped shirt and cropped pants, shoes rubberized and tied with laces. "You think if I'm out there," she pointed at the imaginary place beyond the hatch, "that they'd take it easy on me?"

"True." Sam replied before lunging at the smaller woman and grabbing her arms to knock her off balance.

"Fenbian!" Tarra said as she was pulled forward and she tried to rotate her arms from the elbows to dislodge the hands around them. Bruising was not only expected, if they did this right, it was like a rite of passage...

Sam's response was to sweep her legs out from under her and pin her to the ground. "Now, how do you get out of this?"

Tarra twisted her hips, or at least tried to, in order to leverage herself off the floor of the Cargo Bay. And Sam didn't even budge. "Nope," she said, "Not that way." And she tried to dislodge Sam... sighing. "Fine." Her arms crossed over her chest. "How?"

"Get your opponent off guard. I didn't pin your arms, you could have punched me, grabbed my kidneys, anything."

"Ok, use everything to my advantage. Are you sure? I didn't want to hurt you," Tarra said and twisted her arms around Sam. "I thought this was wrestling. I can hit and punch if you'd like." She tapped Sam on the leg. "Let me up, we'll try this again."

"Grappling, no holds barred. Like you said, they wouldn't give you a chance in real life." Sam replied, standing up.

"Got it," Tarra said and took her best Tai Chi stance. Her centre of gravity low, she prepared for Sam's next attack.
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Galifestus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:53 am

Bug found himself on one of the upper catwalks of the cargo bay, watching the excercises below. Unconsiously he twitched with every action, whether Titan's impressive display or the fighting practice between Sam and Tarra, his little muscles trying to assimilate what his eyes took in.

The elegance of Titans movements in dance and excersise were just a little beyond the boy's ability to understand, though he recognised the expertise. The training between the women was more his speed, more the down and dirty fighting of the street. He'd seen good fighters before, and had his share of scraps for a ten or twelve year old, and so apreciated the direction of the tricks Sam was showing off.

And then, like the moaning of a faraway ghost ringing through the metal of the Monarch's hull, a very faint resonant vibration faintly rung in the boy's bones. The practice below was shoved into reference as the boy almost instinctively began hunting the sound. He had first to climb to the top of the handrail of the catwalk, then shimmy along till he was oposite an air vent from the ship's atmo cycler. He had to lean out far over twenty feet of open space to the cargo deck below to get his ears up to the vent. He was about to pop the cover and go spelunking into the metal cave system when he heard an outraged or surprised exclamation from the deck below. By the time the outburst had subsided, the strange moan was gone.

He somehow managed to get down again and went to find the captain to report the odd sound, only to find her calmly chatting with the strange skittish girl.

"'Scuse, Miss. Ma'am, I heard this funny noise, and I tried to find it, but then I couldn't. If we can, a few extra minutes dirtside and I might be able to locate it again, if that's shway."

~tag Amari and Kynthia
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
User avatar
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:47 am
Location: Kelso, Washington, USA

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:48 am

Bug arrived in the lounge, looking a little worried about something. Ky smiled in greeting. He was calming down a lot, as his position on the ship became more secure. She wanted to keep it that way.

"'Scuse, Miss. Ma'am, I heard this funny noise, and I tried to find it, but then I couldn't. If we can, a few extra minutes dirtside and I might be able to locate it again, if that's shway."

"Funny noise?" She asked. "You figure that once we're down you might be able to be finding it?"

TAG - Bug

"Then you'll be gettin' the time. Sit. Ameri here ain't had much chance to be getting to meet you. Merry, this youngling made his way onto the ship on Silence. "

TAGs
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Galifestus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:21 pm

"Funny noise?" She asked. "You figure that once we're down you might be able to be finding it?"

He tried to explain, his hands flinging around in wild gesticulation. "It's like something ain't lined up right, or like some bearing or another has a bad roller. That or there really is a ghost on board. If I can get some time to spin it up on the ground and crawl around a while, I reckon I'll find it."

"Then you'll be gettin' the time. Sit. Ameri here ain't had much chance to be getting to meet you. Merry, this youngling made his way onto the ship on Silence. "

The boy stood straighter and bowed a very formally acceptable bow and then fell into the chair, smiling a little smile.

~tags to Ameri
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
User avatar
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
 
Posts: 1011
Joined: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:47 am
Location: Kelso, Washington, USA

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Jake Sjet » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:00 pm

It had begun life as the secondary gas exchanger on a long distance mass driver. For the first twenty years of its life, it had faithfully worked away extracting gases from the mass stream being ejected out of the asteroids core by the driver, diverting the useable organic compounds and water molecules for the fuel that the driver used. The rest were sent back into the matter stream, imparting their hundredth of a gee of force into pushing the giant rock sunward.

Imagine a tooth pick being used to move a boulder, same idea.

It had been part of thousand of mass drivers attached to a asteroid that had, in the end, proven to small for the greater goals of those who had bought it. So Shamus’s clan, the McDonalds, had scavenged over the rocks surface stripping away the mass drivers and all the other equipment the mining corporation had left behind because it cost just a little more than its production value to drag it all back home.

With some small modification, a number of holes drilled into the out flow pipe and a one way valve system set up through the five small pipes that exited out of the bottom of the matt black rubber bladder, it resembled that most classical of all Scottish instruments: the bagpipes. Of course there wasn’t a Scottish Avalonian alive today who had seen real, honest to god bagpipes, but they had pictures of them and some recordings. And give a Scot a problem, there was a good chance he’d find a solution, such as performing the resurrection of a native instrument hundreds of years dead.

(Of course, dear reader, therein lies the question: why were the bagpipes left to burn with the rest of Earth That Was?)

He pumped a breath of air into the intake pipe, the steadily inflating rubbery bladder held under the crook of one arm. He was sat in the area of the ship just outside of the infirmary, far enough away from folks, he reckoned to get away with a few minutes of practise. After all on many worlds he could busk a good days wage out of the passing citizens with a few hearty songs, the March of Cambreadth, King Brian Boru’s March. Of course he didn’t get as much from that line of work as he did from his other, but it didn’t pay to do nothing between hops in the black.

He looked around quickly, just to make sure no one was nearby, as though this was a deep and dark secret. He then placed his lips over the mouth piece, tensed his arm and played his fingers over the small holes drilled into the out let vents...

And a 1...

And a 2...

And a...sound like a cat being strangled, whilst being skinned and gummed to death by a shaggy haired St Bernard flooded the ship from her blunt nose to bulging engine module. The pitch of the poor kitties distress changed every now and then, but the pained and sadistic mewling wail continued on and on...

And on, without respite or failure to deliver. It could be there was a box of kittens. A box of poor defenceless duct tape bound kittens, all being fed into the grind maw of a thresher or one of those big branch eating machines tree surgeons wheel around on trailers. Surely PETA would have known what to do to such a criminal as this, something a little more vigorous than red paint and obvious signage.

Fur is dead, and yes you’re wearing it.

Shoddy stopped after a moment, adjusting the crook of his arm and blowing gently, quietly into the intake valve once more. He didn’t want to disturb anyone, so he did this very...very...quietly...

TAG-Anyone

Shamus 'Shoddy' McDonald
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X


Image

"I will eat your soul :3"
User avatar
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
 
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:30 pm
Location: Britian

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby SDJThorin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:52 pm

A JP with Sam, Tarra and Titan.

Well, it looked like Tarra had larned that move well enough. Sam was tucked under her thighs and her upper torso was leveraged as well, to hold her down with Tarra's centre of gravity. "Like this right?"

"Yeah, that's just about right." Sam replied, trying to shift to get up. She didn't want to actually hurt Tarra in order to move.

And then... Titan slammed lightly down on the mat and Tarra turned her head. "Oh my," she said and watched rippling muscles, suddenly feeling herself upended. "Distracted. Sorry." And she now lay on her back on the mat.

Sam straddled Tarra, looking down at her. "Oh come on, he's like a yeti only furless..."

"Hey! I'm right here you know!" Laughed Titan as he finished drying his hair.

"Yes, yes...and she's drooling." snapped Sam.

"Oh," said Tarra in a very quiet voice, wiping her face. Which was all the more poignant a moment as her word was overrun by a... for lack of a better word... caterwauling that seemed to emanate from the very walls of the ship.

"They have medication for that now a days you know." He retorted.

"Salt peter," quipped Tarra as she cringed beneath the sound.

Sam's head snapped up, "What the gorram...that's CAT!"

As Titan clapped hands over ears, "What The!!!"

Tipping her head up, Tarra tried to listen. "Xiancho!" she said and stood up. "Where is Cat?"

Sam wasn't listening, she was scrambling to her feet. "I dunno, but whoever's killing him's gonna die!"

"Does 'Cat' do this often?" cringed Titan as the painful sound continued.

"What, die?" asked Tarra. Boy, this Tighten was dense.

"Let's go, Sam..." she said, standing up and brushing herself off. "We'll find the culprit."

Titan was now totally confused, but grabbed up his staff and fencing blade and went after them.

Sam nodded, heading off in the direction of the sound. A hand going to her knife strapped to her leg. If so much as one hair was harmed on Cat's head, she was going to throw someone out an airlock. Cat was her baby, raised from a kitten.

The sound was horrid, getting softer, then louder as they wound their way through the bowels of the ship. "I *think* we're gettin' closer," said Tarra. "How can he run while he's dying?"

"Unless he's bein' carried... what ruttin' monster would go after a cat, though?" Sam asked, looking over at Tarra. "That's beyond even what I'd do. A dog maybe, a rat certainly, but kits...no."

"So, Kat is a cat... but then who's killing those bagpipes?" murmured Titan to himself, as he finally figured out what the hell that sound was.

"The what whats? No, nevermind, help me find Cat."

"Should we split up?" asked Tarra. "To try and find him? He sounds like a sorrowful punished creature..."

"Whoever's doin' it to him's gonna be a sorrowful punished creature. I think it's comin' from 'round the engine room."

"Umm... Sam, Tarra, did you pick up a Scotsman recently?" he asked with a bit of grin.

"I resent that implication, Tighten," said Tarra, slightly affronted. "You, Sam?"

With a quizzical "Huh!?", Titan just stared at Tarra.

"Let's just go to the Engine Room," said Tarra and pulled her gun, cocking it. "Scotsman or no, if he's into murdering innocent felines, I'm fixing to help take care of him..."

"I don't pick men up..." Sam replied off handedly as they headed to the engine room. "Not my type."

As the caterwauling stop, his remark of "So how do you feel about a man squeezing the hell out of a sheep's stomach? Is that a murdering offense?" echoed through the hallway.

Much too loudly.

Sam stopped, looking at the large man as if he was insane. "Now what kind of sick perverted person would put a cat in a sheep's stomach before squeezing the ruttin' thing to death? That's not shiny."

Tarra blinked her eyes, confused a little by the exchange. Sheep's stomachs were used in Scottish dishes, but none, that she recalled, had cats as an ingredient.

"Umm, it's a set of bagpipes, being played very badly, but bagpipes, I'm sure of it...", he stated firmly.

"It's a set of what?" Shooting a look over at Tarra before looking back at Titan. "That sounds like a cat being murdered?"

"Played?" Tarra's face was in shock. "People play things like that?" She took a breath. "On purpose?"

Just then a hissing blur of white/brown feline flew out of a corridor, between his legs and headed towards the cargo bay.

"Would that be Kat?" asked the startled giant.

Sam watched as Cat ran towards the cargo bay. "...yes...which means there must be another cat on board being murdered."

"Cat's gotten busy?" Tarra asked. She didn't even know they picked up another stray.

Titan moved ahead of the ladies and took a look inside the engine room, to find a lean youth trying to play something that looked like bagpipes.

With a look back, "I didn't know cats grew so big..." he grinned as he stepped out of the way for the ladies to view what he was.

"Apparently he did, unless these bigpipe things with sheeps are alive and tortured and stuff..." Sam said as she walked to the door.

Tarra peeked around the corner. "Wearing Tartan in the form of a skirt," she said. "No cats, kittens or other felines might have been harmed in the playing of these bagpipes..."

"Sure there's not a cat dying in that bag thingy he's squeezing?"

"Let's ask him, Sam," said Tarra.

Titan put away his weapons and leaned up against the hull, to await the outcome.

Sam shrugged. "Oy! Kid, you got a dyin' cat in that bag thingy?"

[ Tag - Shoddy ]
Current Characters:
  • -- CyberPunk 2268: GM / Storyteller (My CyberPunk 2020 SIM -- PM me to join)
  • -- deadToronto: Karl (Normal -- Mechanical Engineer -- All Flesh Must Be Eaten SIM)

Retired Characters:
  • -- Firefly Monarch: Svek (Security Specialist), Titan (Passenger -- Businessman)
  • -- USS Caduceus (Mirror): K'retok, of the House of T'var (Klingon -- XO of A.S. Medusa)

Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!
User avatar
SDJThorin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:01 pm
Location: The Dark Future

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:21 am

The wail echoed through the ship. Kynthia dropped her cup and jumped to her feet at the sound.

"What in the gorram hell!" she exclaimed, running out of the lounge, towards the odd sound. "Merry, Bug, I ain't sure what that is, but be ready for anything!" she yelled back over her shoulder.

She took the fastest route, hearing Sam and the others coming up the other way from the cargo hold. With her gun in one hand, she eased her way towards the location of the sound.

"Someone want to tell me what that was?" she shouted once she was close enough to the source to be able to fire if it was someone dangerous.

TAG - all
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:38 pm

It was either a combination of the shouting, the guns, or the shouting with the guns, but some combination of the two spooked the bag pipes. Up into the air they went, silver piping flailing about as a warbling hiss burped out of the deflating homemade bag pipe. But it wasn’t the only thing headed towards the ceiling, as Shoddy’s’ hands made their way skyward at break neck speeds.

For a long moment, a long moment punctuated by a rubbery metal conflagration of parts smacking into the deck on the downward slide of their arcing trajectory, no one said a thing. The phantom cat, or possible the Schrödinger’s Cat, within the bagpipes remained silent, and Shoddy could well relate to its fuzzy state of being. He was sure if he didn’t keep his eyes open he’d find himself irrevocably dead by a sudden over dose of lead.

He gulped, his Adam’s apple nearly taking out someone’s eye as he weakly let out a squeak.

“Erm...I...” he giggled nervously, the laughter dying in his throat as he eyed the weapon in the captains arm “I...I do requests?”

TAG-All

Shamus 'Shoddy' McDonald.
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X


Image

"I will eat your soul :3"
User avatar
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
 
Posts: 6547
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:30 pm
Location: Britian

Re: Family Frustrations.

Postby Tavey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:17 pm

Kynthia tucked her gun back into it's holster and snapped the leather strap back into place over it. She crossed her arms and leant against a bulkhead.

"Go on then." she said. "Request. I would like to hear I have seen the rain played one time right. So I can remember all the words is all."

She grinned at the young man.

"Or is it that you are more for the Ancient Tunes? I've not never heard them all. Got any of them to play?"

TAG - Shoddy
Image

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
User avatar
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral
 
Posts: 2891
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Middle of some mountains. Canada.

Next

Return to Firefly: Monarch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


cron