Silence is Golden

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Silence is Golden

Postby Tavey » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:59 pm

Kynthia enjoyed the conversation around the table. She grinned when she saw the young boy beginning to drowse in the late afternoon sun shining in through the small windows of the lounge area. Nudging Ameri she indicated Bug.

"Can you find him somewhere to sleep Merry?" she asked. "He's unable to keep his head lifted."

TAG - Ameri

She hoped that the younger man wouldn't be a threat to Ameri's fragile security. She suspected that he was a bit older than he looked. And having someone to fuss over might help Ameri to focus a bit.

TAG - Ameri
TAG - Bug

She stood and excused herself from the others. She wanted to find out where the crew who had left the ship were and how Nakali was doing. She wanted to leave this planet badly. The way that Selene and Maverick had left so easily was chafing at her. She wanted away before it rubbed her completely raw. After all, he'd uttered the words Marriage...

She climbed down the ladder to her new cabin. Changing the enviromental settings to refresh the air to remove the small scent that reminded her of Maverick. There was a small blinking light on her private screen. She touched it to activate the message and listened. A job.. on Dyton..

"This is Kynthia. We charge 40 for cubbies and 120 for cabins. Real water showers once a week in the cabins. We can be there in three days time. Let me know where you want to be picked up if you are still interested."

Tag - Paul.

A job... three days would mean that they had to leave tomorrow at full burn to get there. That meant she needed to take care of something else.

She called the infirmary. It took a few moments, but she was through to Alice Walker. "I have a paying job coming up." she said bluntly. "i need to know when Nakali can travel." Alice considered. "a week." she replied.

Kynthia shook her head. "Not good enough. I need him to be up and moving tomorrow morning. No.." she raised a hand to stop the other woman. "I don't care. Tell Armstrong he owes me one. He's ready, or he's staying." The screen immediately blanked in front of her.

Back in the infirmary there was a sudden flurry of activity around Nakali. Tarragon and Sam were ushered out of the facility in a firm manner. One that included the overall feeling of "Go away, we have procedures to perform that you cannot see."

TAG - Sam
TAG - Tarragon.

Meanwhile on the ship, Kynthia called Sam to let her know about the job. And the timeline. It didn't matter that it was a potential job, it served more than one purpose.

"Hey. looks like we've got a gig coming up. Three days. On Dyton. We need to leave tomorrow noon at the latest. If you see Tarragon, let her know."

TAG - Sam

After talking to Sam, Kynthia headed back to the table and sat down.

"Job.. looks like we have a job. Going to be leaving very soon." she said with a smile and picked out one of the apples that were in a bowl in the middle of the wooden table. She cut it into small pieces absently. "That will be nice."

TAG - All!!

((OOC - Hey guys, let's wind up here on Silence. We've got new characters to pick up on Dyton, so let's go get 'em!))

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Lu sighed as she sat at the table with everyone else. Even though they were eating food that she normally liked, it wasn't appeasing to her this time.

Sitting back in her seat, she sighed and listened to the conversations taking place. She soon did something she normally didn't do; she pushed her plate away. There was barely 3 bites taken out of what was there. She wasn't feeling well all of a sudden, and wouldn't have been surprised if she looked a little green.

It wasn't often that she didn't feel well, because not even the sight of blood got her the least bit queasy. So what was doing it this time? Looking back to the others again, she shook her head to try and clear it, and even that wasn't working. She slowly got up from the seat she was in and moved to one further away from the food, wondering what was making her feel this way right now.

Tag-Anyone there
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby KendleRJ » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Back in the infirmary there was a sudden flurry of activity around Nakali. Tarragon and Sam were ushered out of the facility in a firm manner. One that included the overall feeling of "Go away, we have procedures to perform that you cannot see."

Tarra nodded mutely and took one last look at Nakali as they pushed them practically out the door, shoving the dried and wrapped up bathtub into her hands. "I'll go," she said, "But I will leave EXPLICIT instructions that when he is done here, you contact me. Tarragon Hunter, at Tyrell Johnson's or on the Monarch. And I WON'T take 'no' for an answer!"

There were noncommittal answers and Tarra's mouth tightened. "I SAID..."

Alice came up to Tarra. "So you ARE related to the Johnson's then?" Her mouth widened easily into a smile. "Glad to see that the rumours of your death were greatly exaggerated."

"You WILL remember to get me, won't you?" Tarra's angry resolve was slowly turning into a small cry for assistance, "I can't leave him alone again..."

"Dearest," Alice said soothingly, watching the poor girl struggle with her mixed needs to see her family and stay with her friend, "You go and see the Johnson's." She patted her hand gently. "If you go to the Monarch at all, you have young Johnny come by and let us know. If I have to, I'll come myself."

Small tears gathered in Tarra's tired eyes as she tried to accept the word of this lady. "Yes ma'am, I will." She shouldered her burden, feeling all the heavier for it as she left the Infirmary. "Sam," she breathed deeply after she said her name. "I'm going for a REAL visit, and I'll see you back on board." Holding out the rolled up bathtub to Sam she said, "If you're heading back, can you take this with you?"

~Tag Sam

"Hey. looks like we've got a gig coming up. Three days. On Dyton. We need to leave tomorrow noon at the latest. If you see Tarragon, let her know."

Tarra's face stole into a grin, gentle and sad. "Consider me told. Noon, tomorrow." She did a mental calculation and realized that Nakali would have had one more seizure in the Medical Facility and then he would be gearing up for another as they boarded the ship, but he would still have enough time to get setlled.

"Seems my schedule just tightened considerably." Tarra gave a quick hug to Sam and ran of down the road towards the big house on the end. "I'll try to bring the family round to meet y'all!" she called over her shoulder and her figure got smaller as she ran, with both joy and trepidation towards a piece of her past.

~Tag Sam / Any
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Curtin » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:25 pm

"This is Kynthia. We charge 40 for cubbies and 120 for cabins. Real water showers once a week in the cabins. We can be there in three days time. Let me know where you want to be picked up if you are still interested."

Manser did a quick check of the money in his pocket, as well as the money he had stashed away where he was staying. "A thousand. After that, nothin' Damn you dad, hurry up and die so I can swoop in and claim my inheritance." he muttered, as he patched off his text reply.

"I'll take a cubbie. I'm in the capital city, at the attached coordinates." Truth be told, it wasn't where he was, but he was being careful. He'd blend in much better there, than he would at this small encampment he'd holed up in.

Paul logged off the terminal, and went into the nearest pub. He needed a beer.
My real name is Stephan. Y'all can call me that OOC.

Manheim Fleet Captain

"I would be happy to have a Star Trek come on in 15 or 20 years where people say, 'Now that is good! That makes Roddenberry look like nothing!' And that would please me!" - Gene Roddenberry, 1989
Curtin
Cadet 4th Year
Cadet 4th Year

Postby Sam Crerar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Small tears gathered in Tarra's tired eyes as she tried to accept the word of this lady. "Yes ma'am, I will." She shouldered her burden, feeling all the heavier for it as she left the Infirmary. "Sam," she breathed deeply after she said her name. "I'm going for a REAL visit, and I'll see you back on board." Holding out the rolled up bathtub to Sam she said, "If you're heading back, can you take this with you?"

Sam took the bathtub, well, the cargo container, then looked at Tarra as if she'd grown three heads. "Wait, what? Tarra, you're... who... Who is Tyrell Johnson? What family? You said everyone thought you were dead, and that...what?" She swore in Chinese, starting a long tirade before stopping and looking at Tarra again. "Explain, qing, now, mei-mei. I'm slow, I don't get it."

Then her com beeped twice, it was the ship.

Tarra's face stole into a grin, gentle and sad. "Consider me told. Noon, tomorrow." She did a mental calculation and realized that Nakali would have had one more seizure in the Medical Facility and then he would be gearing up for another as they boarded the ship, but he would still have enough time to get setlled.

"Seems my schedule just tightened considerably." Tarra gave a quick hug to Sam and ran of down the road towards the big house on the end. "I'll try to bring the family round to meet y'all!" she called over her shoulder and her figure got smaller as she ran, with both joy and trepidation towards a piece of her past.

Sam grabbed Tarra before she could run again. "Wait! First, explain...time is short, I understand, but explain!"
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Tavey » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:54 pm

JP between Kynthia and Lu.

Kynthia sat down, still smiling. She hoped that the job came through. It would be nice to have a real paying job after the repairs and the months of hunting for Ameri. She frowned slightly when she saw Lu pushing her plate across the table. "Hey, you're not hungry?" she asked in concern.

Lu looked up at Kynthia and shrugged, "No, not really.  Doesn't look all that appeasing to me right now for some reason."  She tried to shake it off and look like she was alright, but she figured Kynthia would know better.

Kynthia sipped at her drink from earlier while she considered the way Lu was looking. Dark circles under her eyes and she seemed to be thinner than before. It was to be expected. She had been through several shocks in a short time.

"You sleepin'?"

"Tryin' my best to.  Been waking up early most mornings and haven't been able to get back to sleep.  Dunno what's goin' on."  Lu sighed and closed her eyes as her stomach decided to do a few flips on her.

That didn't sound good. "You need to see Ameri? See if she can help some?"

Kynthia sipped again, and offered a cup to Lu.

Lu waved off the cup and shook her head, "I think I'll be okay, maybe just needin' more rest.  I think I've been over stressed because my body has been yellin' at me."

Kynthia shrugged slightly. "Then sleep." she said. And looked up as a soft chime rang through the lounge. She stood up and walked over to the nearby screen set into the wall. Listening to the message from Paul, she nodded and confirmed. Then turned back to Lu.

"'Tis an order now, I suppose. Go to sleep. You must sleep now, we dust off tomorrow"

Lu sighed and nodded, pulling herself up outta the chair and going off slowly to bed, still looking a little green in the face, but she hoped it would pass.  "See ya tomorrow then."  

Kynthia watched her go and sighed. it would not do them any good if Lu got sick

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby KendleRJ » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:01 pm

Sam grabbed Tarra before she could run again. "Wait! First, explain...time is short, I understand, but explain!"

Tarra opened her mouth and closed it again. "Wait, there's too much. Let me sum up," she began, moving from foot to foot like a little child who had to make. "Father who wasn't my father had a brother named Tyrell Johnson. Apparently, he and his family live here on Silence. I explained that I wasn't really related to them, but it didn't seem to matter." She thought for a brief moment, "At least I don't THINK it seemed to matter."

Tarra looked at Sam and felt the need to move quickly to see them and make a connection with a part of her family; she was looking forward to the union of the two important parts of her life. "Serena Johnson meets Tarragon Hunter." Her face almost beamed with the hope and possibilities. "No matter what, Sam. I'll bring them by. Uncle Tyrell, Aunt Caryn, Jonathan, Timothy and Lucy."

Her feet were itching and she looked at Sam. "Mei dade," she smiled and turned to go. "We can catch up on all of this once we've taken off, but there's only so much time I have here." Tarra's face was alight and also strained, but with hope and fear all written upon it, she gave one last look at Sam before returning to her path on the street to her family's home.

~Tag
USS Legacy
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Sam grunted as Tarra ran off, that didn't really explain much, but it made some sense. "Just come home before take off, Tarra! I didn't buy two cases of cider to drink by myself!" She called after the chef who was running away. Then she shook her head and hit the com. "Kynthia, roger on leaving at noon tomorrow. I'll get supplies bought and everything."
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Kris » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:23 pm

Lu had been tossing and turning in her bed when she finally woke up. She didn't know what time it was, nor how long she'd been sleeping. She sat up in the dark and felt a little disoriented. Shaking her head, she felt her stomach turning a bit and figured it would have settled down by now. Leaning against the wall, she closed her eyes, trying to get her stomach to settle down enough to get some sleep.

Above her, she heard a few people walking around and it seemed louder than normal. Something was going on with her body, and she hoped that she would get over it soon.

A small time later, things had gotten quiet and although her stomach was still upset, she figured she better try to sleep because tomorrow they would be leaving and she needed to be there to help.
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:27 am

Serena Johnson tripped down the street, a lightness of being and a sense of connection flowing through her simultaneously as she felt a heady freedom of release, if only very briefly. An hour, she had promised, and an hour it had been, but as she approached the house it seemed to be darker than she remembered.

An awful sinking feeling came over her as she was suddenly 15 again, READING the decree of her loss of status, family and identity in one fell swoop… Her eyes widened slightly at the memory and how vividly it could be recalled to add one more hurtful slap to her psyche at its whim. She stopped dead in front of the long walkway and was suspended there in a complete sense of past indiscretions that weren’t even hers, and a trembling sob escaped her lips as she turned to go.

Heavy duffel seeming to anchor her to the spot, she took her remaining energy and forced herself away. Tarra almost collided with some villagers she hadn’t yet met; some of which she thought she recalled from being in the waiting room when she arrived. They were carrying things, covered pans and tins and there was a smell rising from some of them that caused a lurching in her stomach as it angrily reminded her how inconsiderate she had been to it. Her mouth opened and almost began to salivate, and then she saw the two brothers who looked at her strangely and picked up her almost, one on each arm as they half-strode and half-carried her up the walkway and around the rear of the house.

There was her family, and quite a number of the villagers, standing in a modestly decorated area of the backyard; tables and such were bedecked with bright colours and all manner of happy tinsels and sparklies. It looked glorious to Tarra, catching the lowering sun as she realized when everyone turned to her, that it was, in point of fact, for HER.

TBC
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Quamie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:05 am

Ameri very shyly and quietly showed Bug to his room, polite to the youngster but still shy. She then left to go to the infirmary, where there should have been something to do to help her feel better, more like herself. As she was making saline bags to restock her supply, she couldn't stop thinking about about the burnt stranger. She should be taking care of him. She hadn't been.

Driven, she found herself in the cargo bay, and then on the ramp, almost as if someone else were walking for her. There was a bag over her shoulder of medical supplies from her infirmary, mostly burn care, but also some antibiotics. Apprehensive, she glanced around, but night was falling and there were fewer people about than in the day. Though it was not hot, she stole out into the night, hurrying to get out of the open and back indoors. Only it was not the ship to which she was headed- it was the infirmary, which was not hard to find.

When she bolted into the infirmary, she was wide-eyed and sweating, not from exertion, but barely-quelled panic. Ameri gulped air and closed her eyes to calm herself a little, aware that she had made a scene- always the last thing she wanted. She sucked in a deep breath and opened her eyes, steadfastly keeping her attention on the first nurse she saw.

"Tell me, please, where the patient from the Monarch is."

"He is being well cared for. If you wish, you may sit down and I'll get the doctor," the nurse offered.

"I am responsible for his care!" Ameri remained adamant.

"We are caring for him in the interim. You do not look well. Would you li-"

"No! I am here to see my patient and oversee his care. I am his medic." Ameri was not used to standing up for herself this way, and it was draining her energy. But this was important- she should be with Nakali.

"He has doctors caring for him." There was a slight stress on the word "doctor".

"He is my patient," Ameri repeated.

The nurse put her hands on her hips. "Where did you graduate medical school?"

Ameri deflated some, almost backing up. Her tone was softer and lower. "I have not completed schooling."

"Well your patient is in the hands of people who have completed their schooling. Isn't that enough?"

Somehow, it wasn't. Ameri was silent for a moment, and then asked, "Where is he?"

The nurse sighed and told her the room number. "But don't touch anything!"

With uncharacteristic rudeness, Ameri did not answer, already heading down the hallway instead. She walked quickly, nearly diving into the room when she found it, and closing the door behind her. Tense with a number of different emotions, she stepped forward toward the bed, checking the lines and medications, automatically keeping an eye on Nakali's vitals.

It was strange, how things came back to her. This was more like the setting for which she had been trained, though she would have been in a Core hospital or in a hospital back home on New Zion. A better equipped hospital even than this infirmary, which she had to admit was better equipped than her own small one on the Monarch. Somehow this seemed right, but part of her screamed it was wrong, as it was not her own infirmary. Her self-confidence wavered, but she knew she had to be here. Even if she could do no more to help, she had to be here with her patient.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 am

Aunt Caren was the first to notice her niece’s reaction and moved quickly to her side; the poor girl was not only overwhelmed, but she might actually faint from the happy surprise and suddenness of welcome. Grasping her elbow, she whispered into Tarra’s ear, “Surprise, darling. Your birthday was only a few days ago and we took the liberty in considering that you might not have actually had the opportunity to celebrate it as of yet.”

Tarra’s face paled slightly, and a heady rush of emotions threatened to overtake her senses; sights, sounds, smells, touches… all tender, all familiar and all meant to lighten her load, share her burden and give her shelter. She was almost lost in those until she saw that no one had begun unloading the vast amounts of foodstuffs they held in their hands and that the decorations were being removed. “Oh,” Serena’s voice came out, low and understanding; a bit wistful with hope. “You want to come with me to the Monarch to celebrate?”

Her mind went back immediately to Ameri and her reactions to everyone and everything and a strange look came over her face. “I don’t want to seem ungrateful,” she said, a happy tear rolling down her face as she began, “But I think it might be a little intimidating for some of the crew if I rolled in there with half of the village.”

Aunt Caren stepped up and said, “Light’s failing, little Miss. You want to get this up there before we’re in the dark, we’d best get moving.” ‘Always practical’ thought Tarra and she nodded in agreement. But instead of moving ahead, Caren’s hand stayed lightly on her arm and they held back to wait for the others to file past, Tyrell and the boys in the lead heading in a parade towards the ship.

As the ladies spoke at the end of the procession, the Johnson men folk led the charge. It wasn’t truly that far to get to the Monarch, cutting a fine figure in the failing light and they had tried to arrange to arrive just around supper time. Little Johnny broke off to let the Infirmary know that Miss Tarra was on her way to the ship.

As they came upon her, In a nod to an ancient custom from Earth-that-Was, Ty called out in a strong voice. “Ahoy to the Monarch!” He had recalled some people milling about on the ramp earlier in the day, but there was very little milling now. The crowd looked a bit intimidating but there were no pitchforks or raised torches meant to threaten anyone aboard her.

Stepping up to just below the edge of the ramp, Ty called again. “We have foods and such for the Crew of the Monarch on behalf of the village and for Tarragon Hunter!”

~Tag Monarch Crew
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Reconnections - Tarra and Aunt Caren Conversation

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:33 am

While the others paraded through the village in the failing light, it gave the two who held back some time to speak.

“Our timetable’s been moved up to tomorrow noontime, Aunt Caren,” said Tarra, a little disappointed but still hopeful. This was going to be a LONG night again and she was half-tempted to take some sort of stims in order to be awake for it all. She would need to go to the Infirmary in the early morning hours, and then be ready to help with the transport, be awake for every spare moment for her family AND be able to cook. But somehow, she felt that these goods, baked and prepared with lovingkindness would tide them over for a couple of days at least.

“Then I’d best say my piece, Serena before you can’t see my face and know my intent.” Her features were kindly, open eyes clear and true, a pale grey misty colour, like that light rising steam from the ground in the early morning hours. “We care not a jot for your actual lineage and claim you as family without reservation.” She held Lucy in her arms who shifted almost in agreement with the claim as her little hands stretched out for Tarra. Caren handed Lucy to Tarra and crooked in her arm, Lucy promptly giggled and smiled widely, placing her hand squarely on Tarra’s dampened cheek.

“There, now. You have the whole family’s acceptance, TARRA.” She punctuated the new name and earned a new giggle scream of sorts from her daughter. “So, here are the protocols and such you’ll need to keep in contact with us and when we get your first wave, we’ll have yours.” Tarra’s face was bright, a paler shade than it had been, but she appeared to have that strength about her and a military bearing now that had to be from the General. Her clipped walk was not truly obvious, but very reminiscent of her former father. She must have admired him very much. “We’ll hear from you how you’re doing, and when we’re to expect you to come for a visit.”

Their conversation was indepth, loving and full of information about the world, the people and the great and wondrous things that were there for them. Almost reassurances of their safety, security and solitude from the majority of the ‘Verse. Truly tempting for a sort that might want to sit out of life for a spell. Had they spoken a few days before, there might have been a kindred spirit living within Serena’s heart as she struggled with just such a dilemma. But with Ameri’s rescue, Chris’ death, Kynthia’s new role and fewer Crew, she knew they would need many hands to keep the Monarch flying. “I’ll keep that in mind, Aunty, but…”

“Yes quin aide, you aren’t quite ready.” Her face lit with a knowing. “You’re young, and still moving your way through the ‘Verse.” There was an assessment of sorts going on. “You are still quite innocent, ain’t ya?” Tarra’s faced screwed up with curiosity and Caren had her answer. “Ah, well,” Caren thought of the many discoveries that lay ahead for her niece and smiled a little reminiscently. “Keep in mind you can speak of EVERYTHING to me if you have a mind to.” She wrapped her arm protectively around Tarra on the side opposite of Lucy and they walked together the last few steps to the Monarch in time to hear Uncle’s call.
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:42 am

Nakali lay prone on the infirmary bed, propped up by the bed’s back rest, his eyes closed in slumber. It was unclear if it was natural or by pharmacological means, but his eyes did not move beneath their lids and he seemed at peace. At least, in mind he did. The dermal gel, the white foam applied here and there on his exposed skin was present in smooth cast like applications, slowly convincing skins cells to replicate rapidly and consume the damage done.

The body was a easily conned biological machine run by a mad and sardonic dictator called a conscience. Sometimes this meant giving the body more fuel for its metabolic engine, and other times it was out right extortion.

The vitals were good, or as well as they could be expected to be, with his heart beat making a steady tempo to offset the rooms quietness. Order had been restored to most of the room, with some draws stacked to one side which had been ripped so forcibly from their mountings. What could have driven a man to such violence, a strange flavour of desperation tainting the mind? But perhaps it wasn’t desperation, but the terror at seeing hopes fulfilled. Not that Ameri would know, after all they’d only for a brief instant on Leviathan during her rescue.

Not a word, until now.

His hand was surprisingly quick, viper like in its way, snagging her arm by the wrist. The grip was tight, forceful and a testament to the same determination that had driven him for so long. But no sooner had he gripped her, a sleeping scar on the fabric of humanity animated by the innocence of the lost, he let her go. The hand stayed there, out stretched slightly in a palm up gesture.

“S...sorry...” he said softly, lips barely moving as he tries to open his eyes, lids heaving back with effort “Didn’t mean to...scare you.”

He let out a hoarse, brackish laugh that seemed to shake him to the core of his being.

“What am I saying...” he laughed again, a sad tragic thing that seemed to want to want to fall off the cliff of sanity into a fit of giggling chaos “I couldn't look more scary if I tried.”

His eyes opened slowly, their efforts rewarding him with blurred sleep clogged eyes. He could see blurred images and vague impressions, but he didn’t recognise her as one of the nurses or doctors of this infirmary. And yet...and yet familiarity played at the corners of his mind.

“I...I know you don’t I?”

TAG-Ameri

Nakali 'Xiancho' Sjet
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Quamie » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:13 pm

His hand snaked out and snagged hers in a fierce grip. Ameri screamed, and the hand released her, palm up, placating. “S...sorry...” he said softly. The drugs were obviously making him drowsy- that and the work of rebuilding his body. “Didn’t mean to...scare you.”

The timid medic blinked, then took a deep breath to settle herself. He spoke again before she could reply.

He laughed, a hoarse, painful sound. “What am I saying...” he laughed again.“I couldn't look more scary if I tried.”

Ameri smiled a little, but was quiet as he looked at her, desperately try to focus. Then he asked, “I...I know you don’t I?”

Ameri shook her head, but replied quietly, "I am Ameri Webber, medic of the Monarch. You were burned when... when I was taken back to the Monarch." Her feelings left her somewhere in limbo between "rescued" and "kidnapped".

"Are you in any pain?" she strove to change the topic.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Jake Sjet » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:25 pm

“Constantly...” he admitted, dilated, unfocused eyes looking at her “But it comes and goes...fades in fades out, you get use to it after a fashion...”

He wetted his lips, a thousand words, a million questions, but only room for a few, a handful...never enough time, never enough...

“I always...I always thought you’d be taller, glowing...white gown, framed in a arch way of light maybe with wings. I dunno, after so long you grow to have assumptions about things, its something that happens when you get like me I guess.” He let out in a rush, blinking hard and now leaning up on pained elbows to get a better look at her.

“Reality tends to give us what we need, but never what we want.” He said cryptically and then “I...you...I’m sorry I’m making no sense. Its just I’ve read so much about you, trawled every data stack from Londinium to New Zion looking for every grain of data concerning your family, its linage and connections I just...”

He laughed and leaned back on the bed, a gurgle of fluid on his lungs echoing after a second.

“I expected you to come in knowing my name, offering me every answer I could ever want...” he shook his head, closing tired eyes “The problem with myths and facts, they rarely hold up to truths.”

TAG-Ameri

Nakali ‘Xiancho’ Sjet

Jake Sjet

Postby Tavey » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Kynthia was startled when she heard the hello hail from the Cargo hold. She walked through the doorway and stood on the upper catwalk peering down at the crowd coming in.

"Come up, come up!" She called, her face lighting up at the sight of a happier Tarragon towards the back of the group, and all the foodstuffs coming in. She figured it would only be a moment or two before the general hubbub would wake up that lad and bring him and Ameri to the main area to find out what was happening.

(OOC yes, I know Ameri is off the ship. But Ky doesn't)

She turned on more of the lights and grabbed a wobbly tray from one of the people heading up towards the lounge. The noise of happy voices spread through the small ship, and filled it with a kind of peaceful feeling they hadn't had in a while. Kynthia toggled the intercom after she had put down the tray.

"Come one and all. Looks like we've got some fun happenin' here." She said.

TAG All.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:44 pm

Ameri shook her head, his words washing over her, crashing down on her like heavy waves. All she could get out was finally an incredulous, "You researched me?"

He nodded fasted something his brain rebelled against as it rocked around in his head case.

"Yes, well no not just you...a dozen others. Girls, boys, inconvenient little truths important families wished to make vanish for a time. For some girls it was the span of nine months, for others...well you and I both saw that crop outside the nunnery." he whispered now, speaking of the crosses and their ragged crop of corpse’s.

Ameri shut her eyes and shuddered, understanding his meaning. She spoke with a difficulty born of fear. "Did my father hire you?"

Nakali looked at her, or at least the blur that spoke her voice. He was shaking his head before he even spoke.

"No...dear god no, your father is a monster I mean ever disrespect by using those words. My need to find you was twofold, one you’re the only lead into that hell hole I could find that hadn’t returned and met with...an accident, or simply vanished. And secondly..." he laughed "Well...Ameri Weber...your my only hope."

Ameri shook her head, unable to believe she was so important. "Wh- How can I be your only hope? For what?"

"11 years goes a girl much like you, exactly almost....was taken to that place to hide a families dishonour. From there she was taken to a place, I don 't know where....and made into something terrible, something akin to a crying, weeping and pleading Pandora’s box." he took in a breath "I need to know where she went, how she got there...reason, excuses...you came from that place, saw in to it and maybe....maybe you unintentionally saw something there, that can help her."

And me, he thought quietly.

Ameri's brow furrowed, the medic still overwhelmed. "Who is she?"

"Luci...Lucinda Theodora of Theodora Tokomak Heavy Industries Theodora's. She would have been your age when she got to that place, I met her a year after wards and...what nightmares swam behind her eyes, in her soul...and into me." he said that last part in a whisper.

"Where did you meet her? What..." There were so many questions, and no answers forthcoming from her mind.

"I met her on Hera, the week the cease fire was announced..." he said, and then in slow controlled bursts of reason, and logical progression, he related a tale spoken once to a father, and then to a cast away daughter, of a kind act among the dead repaid for by hells foot soldiers parading through his mind.

"When I came too, after trying to help her up..." he said afterwards "I was on a pile of dead bodies, the same ones that had been strewn about the convoy. I smelt of IncinerX, it’s a flamer gel they use for deforestation on Hera...I got off that pile a moment before they ignited it...and I ran." he laughed blackishly "To much of a stretch to say I wandered those canyons and deserts of Hera for 30 days and 30 nights? Adds a luster of biblical proportions to my tale, don't ya think?"

"Where was she?" Ameri asked, lost in his pain and searching.

"I dunno...after that, when I came to my sense's I..." he shut his eyes "I really try not to remember those earl days, but when I was searching the Cortex I found her face...I just search every face I could find, they'd flash up for a second and then be gone...did that for a month before I found her. And from there I learned where she wasn't, and then to the places she might have been...and then you can learn that a lot of wayward younglings end up in some places. Like Leviathan. Like you."

"She was taken to..... there... after Hera?" Ameri asked. "I could see if I recognized her... Was she not there when you came with the Monarch?"

He shook his head "No, sorry...I'm not clear thinking just yet. I don't know where she went after Hera, I just know she came from that hell hole same as you and maybe...just maybe whoever did this might have come back looking for the next bright star in his freak show...or hers!" he let out a ragged, tear filled gasp "Its a straw Ameri, and I'm desperate enough to place all my money on it to win."

"I'm sorry. I don't know what to say. I want to help... Do you know where she felt safe?"

"No...I just saw her face, so pained...tortured.... Help me, she asked...no one was there but the dead, she knew that but she asked anyway..." he looked down "And I couldn’t save her...and I wanted you to say you noticed something whilst you were there, people who looked odd, nuns who seemed to be dressed for the part but didn't act like it....or of fellow captives who were there one day and gone the next."

He snorted "I'd ask you to lie to me if I really didn’t need the hope."

"There was a lot of turnaround," she said. "I was never able to get close to anyone- I barely knew anyone's names. I don't remember nuns acting oddly- except my aunt, and only after I saw her name."

He was...what was the word? Devastated, ah yes, that was the word.

"This...isn’t quite how I expected this to go..." he admitted slowly, softly before wetting his lips "You don't remember any stories, or rumours, hidden rooms or items that seemed out of place? Did they have a well stocked medical facility? Comms gear? Weapons? Anything out of the ordinary? How did they get food in?"

"A delivery person arrived regularly with supplies. No one was allowed to speak to him." Ameri squeezed her eyes shut and shuddered at the memory. While it was clear she had more to say, pain and fear in memory overwhelmed her for several moments.

"I...I know its hard, I know because have to remember things like that too but..." he reached out a hand to her, holding it out for her to take "Luci and the others like her need you to help them, because their asking for help and no one can hear them but you me...tell me everything about this delivery ship. Little things can help...what type of ship, markings, the uniforms they wore..."

Ameri reached out for his hand, but fell short, remembering the painful burns. She tucked her hands to her sides, wrapping her arms around herself for comfort instead, unaware of the gentle rocking motion she was making, back and forth, back and forth. Her eyes stayed shut as she concentrated.

Finally, she spoke through gritted teeth. "I don't remember a ship- just the delivery person. And that you couldn't talk to them. Don't say a word! The uniform... They had boots," and she went on, describing them in as much detail as she could.

Nakali nodded, remembering every word, every notation or misplaced fact Ameri Weber felt obliged to hand out. Little things could help, could help a lot.

"You very brave or talking to me about this you know?" he said softly, looking at her as he blur became a shape he could tell was a person "I wouldn't blame you i you just didn't talk to anyone but your strong, I know that...your father didn't because he thought you could be forgotten. But I know your not wrong, your the best thing to happen in this world Ameri. And you might just have saved my life and a few others."

And then he smiled at her, the first honest thing she could have experienced from him since meeting on Leviathan.

Ameri read the smile in his words, through closed eyes and a curtain of tears. Rock rock, rock rock. It was a steady rhythm, comforting as she sobbed quietly. "The medical facilities," she paused to sniff as her nose ran. Apparently, she was determined to go on. "They were very well stocked." She swallowed hard. Sniff. "Especially for burns." Sniff, swallow, pause, rock rock. "Very nice facilities for a place like that."

He nodded.

"Well funded, and a particular delivery service...on would wonder if they ship out anything like human cargo..." he grinned at Ameri "What you've given me Ameri is enough for a smart person, and I am very smart...."

He then tried to roll to one side, legs out stretched but as soon as they hit the floor his knees gave way, his saving grace was his arms holding him up.
As Nakali fell, Ameri let out a vocalized sob, fumbling to help him without hurting him. "You're too weak to be up." The medic in her came out.

"No I was too weak on Hera..." he grunted, wobbling legs straightening out "Now I am a million dollars strong..."

"That's some inflation," Ameri's attempt at a joke was weak, but there it was. "Get back in bed. Please.."
He shakes his head, standing up now by himself.

"No...No now its time to work." he looked at her "Thank you Ameri Weber...you've been, well...a god send."

"No!" Ameri was almost shouting. "You will get back into bed at once! You are in no shape to be gallivanting around, and will only do more harm than good. Let yourself rest and heal before heading off to be a hero!"

"I have done more harm that good, don't you see that? How many more Lucis' are out there? People like me, with the devil seeing into their heads every 13 and a half hours? My work, is keeping me, living..."
"Well then stop this cycle and listen to me!" Ameri was resolute in standing in his way.

"Did they stop when they had Luci attached o that machine? Did they stop when she pleaded for mercy? Did they stop when she killed everyone who touched her? Did your father stop when she sent you away to rot in hell?" he leant down now, fire burning in him from some time ago "Are you going to stop because of all that? Cause I'm not...and if I have take on the Alliance, the Church and maybe your father..I will, and I'll win because I have conviction...and you."

"You will not use me to your own ends!" Now she was yelling. "Instead, you will sit your rear back down in that bed until you are healed. You'll do all the better for it."

"Who said anything about using you, I thought strangely enough there’d be a fire in you somewhere ready to burn your fathers empire down to the ground!" he raged in kind and then paused "And you might have a point....time?"

The sudden change in his tone threw her off. She blinked for a moment, then, suspecting a trap, "Time for you to get back in bed," she returned.

"No no...time, actual time, Londinim standard time..." he looked of into the distances, cocking his head to one side as is listening to some far off tune.

Why did that matter? "I don't know," Ameri faltered, confused. She hadn't brought a timepiece along with. She stood on tiptoe to peek over his shoulder at the medical equipment, and reported the time.

He nodded "Like a shuttle to New Zion from Old Mombasa...sedatives." he nodded, looking at her "Your right I could use the rest, and sedatives will do me a world of good. Now, please."

TAG-Anyone near the infirmary

A JP By Ameri and Nakali

Jake Sjet

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:59 pm

Serena Johnson was watching the festivities from a corner of the room. They inevitably ended up in the Kitchen, and this one seemed to be no exception. But it was getting late, and the family was staying around. She wouldn’t be sleeping this evening at all, and headed to the infirmary looking for a stim of some sort. Finding one, she noticed the time as the alarm went off for Nakali’s seizure, 20 minutes.

Arriving at the Infirmary before injecting it, she met the non-plussed faces of the night shift. Before she opened her mouth, she was shown through to a door and given a room number. She strode down the hall and got to the door and opened it, and came upon Ameri and Nakali and she stopped immediately. “Oh,” said Tarra and tried to take in the scene, remembering that Nakali was looking for Ameri. Besides, she was the Doctor and would need everything Tarra had brought. Pressing the stim into her skin she stepped into a heated conversation.

"I have everything you need right here... So are we heading back to the Monarch this time?"

~Tag Nakali / Ameri
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Lu started to hear noise, lots of noise, and grumbled as she pulled herself from the bed. Throwing on some clothes, she pulled herself up the ladded and wandered off towards the sound she was hearing. Spotting a party going on, she put a grimace on her face. She then heard Kynthia announce it and sighed; there was no way to get around it and she would have to stay at the party.

Sulking over to a corner, she eyed some of the food and grimaced again, then saw something that peaked her interest, though most people would find it disgusting. She took hold of a plate and piled some meat along with some pudding onto her plate and mixed it together and started to eat it. Amazingly it was very tastey, though she'd never had it before. Lu was still grumbly about the party, but was glad she could eat.

Tag-party people
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Solomon James had been thinking a lot. He kept looking out at the village where his old friend was settling down.

"Old bones Solomon James." He muttered to himself. "Old bones and good times. Take the step while the time is right."

He walked over to Kynthia, tapping her on the shoulder and indicating that he wanted a word.

"It's like this. That there village seems a mighty good place to stop a while. I think I will be doing just that." He said simply, in his style. "Engine is in good shape. Ship is in one piece. You can take care of her. Just, you sleep when needed okay? Ship needs a captain that sleeps."

He hugged her quickly and turned to leave, while she stood and watched him pick up his pack and walk off the ship into the darkening Village.

She was already losing her crew. And she'd only been captain less than a day. Her stomach twisted as badly as her mouth did. She wondered who would be left by the time they took off from Dyton.

TAG - anyone who notices.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Galifestus » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Bug had eaten well, and then had been so very sleepy at the table of the Monarch. He did not remember anything about being led to the small room he woke up in. It was small enough that anyone bigger or older would have had to stoop. The walls were of a peach color and the cieling and floor of slightly darker tones in the same value spectrum. The lights were low and the bed was firm but comfortable. He woke, still tired when he heard sound of loud laughter through the thin walls.

"Where the heck am I?" he asked the air, looking about at the room trying to get his bearings.

There was no clue to his location in the plain fittings of the room, but voices he could hear through the walls led him to believe it wasn't the jail with its thick plasticrete construction. The simple sliding door and low cieling told him that this wasn't one of the bunking houses. At least it was not one of those he'd ever seen or slept in. He was still dressed and had all his stuff, so he hadn't been picked up by some motherly type. There were a surprising number of those among the residents and servants of the big villas as well as a few in town. Bug never had taken to being mothered, not since his own had been taken from him.

He got up from the bed and walked over to the door. When he tried it, sure it'd be locked on him, it came open. His first look out brought back the day's events. This was the back passenger area behind the cargo bay and under the drives of the Monarch, wrapped in the giant "firefly" tail of heat dispersal panels.

He straightened his outfit and stepped from the room. He had no idea how long he'd been asleep, but he could see the cargo bay door from where he naow stood, andf it was open. Further the whole area from near the ship's infirmary on out was full of familiar faces. Locals and ship folks talked together. There were smells of a big dinner wafting about. It was full dark outside, and the village lights were shining in that dark.

He'd seen the crew at their simpler dinner earlier, and knew who each was that he'd seen so far. The Pilot, Mu or Hu or something like, was standing smiling at folks as they passed or chatted, but her face would look stern and tired between encounters. The Captain was chatting with the Mechanic, who had a duffel hanging off his shoulder. They had a very few words and then the white haired man sauntered away down the ramp and the woman looked like she'd been kicked; Hard. The Cook was making the most of the crowd, and seemed to have a connection of some kind with the Johnsons. No place did he see the girl or the burnt offering. The one he'd have liked, but the other he could do without. The First officer was out of sight for the moment.

He was about to walk over to the Captain to see if she needed something he might do, when a large gnarled hand settled on his shoulder. He spun around under its impetus and bowed his head a little bob before looking up into an old grizzled face. "Sir?"

"Bug, you cut out early at the picking today?"

"Yes Mister Gilroy, Sir."

"Well, I'll have to cut your pay, boy. Full day's wage is for a full day's work. Why did you take off?"

"Sir, I thought I might be a hand helping these strangers."

"So you are tired of good clean country living?"

"Well, sir... Yes, sir."

"I know how it is, my lad. You had to get in here and have your little look around, eh? I'd have done much the same when I was your age, I'm sure," The old man said with a smile and a far away look. "Well, here's your wage for a half day. I'll look for you when you decide to come back."

Bug gave the man a quick and heartfelt thanks. He'd never thought he'd get those few clinkers in his pocket after running off like he'd done. He stepped a little more securely over to the Captain who was now chatting with one of the Taggart men. She was doing a great put on for the guy, but he could see her still glancing after the receeding back of the Mechanic still visible in the occasional walk light.

In a break in conversation, he quietly asked, "Get you something, Ma'am?"

~tag
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:10 am

“In a manner of speaking yes...” Nakali grumbled, mind already revolving and dissolving ideas, plans and plots that would get him safely back to the Monarch in time for his heck mental keg party. He looked around, wetting his lips and then slowly...very slowly at first but gaining in confidence.

“Okay Ameri I need you to get a bottle of rubbing alcohol, its bound to be around here somewhere. Bring it to me.” He held up a hand mottled in flesh tones, pink baby new skin and still some plastic like warping “No time for questions I’m down to 18 minutes and change.”
He turned his head to look at Tarra, smiling slightly.

“Duffle please...” he said, tapping the infirmary table he’d been lying on. Tarra dutifully placed it before him and, careful not to do more harm than good to his crispy digits, he undid the draw strings and went exploring. Computer was there, the gun was there (just in case of course) and the smooth white plastic boxes.

He grabbed the first one and opened it.

Inside, worn and weather beaten by centuries of time and careful care, was a music box. It wasn’t the large sort you could put jewellery in or anything like that, a testament to which a small porcelain figurine of a ballet dancer sprang up on a spring to slowly dancing to its melancholy tune. It made soft, delicate little noises that seemed to come not only from a distance, but from another time, as though the small wooden box was a door way to some past event none present had been privy too.

It could have felt dirty, to listen to such a sound, so when Nakali carefully closed the lid and exchange one white box for its twin sibling, there could have been understanding there. But he breezed right by any explanation.

“Okay here’s the plan, feel free to interject as long as it doesn’t go along the lines of ‘stay here’.” He popped the lid, revealing careful rows of skin poppers, and a few small boxes of pills and fluids. To Ameri’s medical trained eyes a few of the poppers looked medicinal, amoxacilian for severe muscular pain, a number of relaxants and a large quantity of morpha...and a number of them defiled her medical eye.

Black market drugs?
Narcotics?

Nakali selected one of the unmarked skin poppers, well not unmarked as there was a little stamp on its side: an angular representation of an hour glass, throwing off little lines of sand to represent its spinning motion. He pressed it with practised ease to the side of his neck, flinching only slightly as it hissed the drug into his system.

“Ameri you’re going to douse me in that rubbing alcohol like cheap aftershave, try and spill a little on my shirt.” He looked to Tarra “Same goes for you too. Remember when we first met? Should have bought you a drink...but you never did have to wander back to your boat all singing and drunk and...Dragging my unconscious ass back...HA! Well, well nearly ya did with Sam’s contribution to my welcoming party...”

He closed his eyes for a moment, swaying slightly on his feet.

“Wooo boy I forgot this stuff’s potent...” his lips were slurred, and his voice hardly moving...or what that his lips were hardly moving and his voice was slurred? “Ameri I’m gonna do something a little girlish in a second and pass out, by thankful if you made sure I didn’t go and swallow my tongue...”

He dropped the medical box back into the duffle, shakily holding onto the bag.

“Anyone asks we just had to much fun in town, gonna head back to the sh...the...” he leaned forwarded slightly, shaking his head as if to clear it, eye lids sliding up and down in ponderous movements before finally closing, his body remaining upright.

Until he let out a loud, ungrateful snoring noise.

TAG-Tarra and Ameri

Nakali ‘Xiancho’ Sjet

Jake Sjet

Postby KendleRJ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:58 am

Inside, worn and weather beaten by centuries of time and careful care, was a music box. It wasn’t the large sort you could put jewellery in or anything like that, a testament to which a small porcelain figurine of a ballet dancer sprang up on a spring to slowly dancing to its melancholy tune. It made soft, delicate little noises that seemed to come not only from a distance, but from another time, as though the small wooden box was a door way to some past event none present had been privy too.

It could have felt dirty, to listen to such a sound, so when Nakali carefully closed the lid and exchanged one white box for its twin sibling, there could have been understanding there. But he breezed right by any explanation.

A strange, hollow and haunting sound that was a swirling memory and meant something to him; so much so that he refused to even tell them what they had heard, what OTHER insight Tarragon Hunger had into him. More secrets, and with him, simply more lies. Her face became remote and she swallowed everything inside and slammed the lid shut. Examination would probably never come. And she turned to take in he rest of the room as he prepared himself.

He looked to Tarra “Same goes for you too. Remember when we first met? Should have bought you a drink...but you never did have to wander back to your boat all singing and drunk and...Dragging my unconscious ass back...HA! Well, well nearly ya did with Sam’s contribution to my welcoming party...”

"As I recall, you were bleeding, and then threw up; SOME party..." Tarra's voice held an emptiness and her focus was simply on getting him OUT. Stim slid through her system, keeping her wide awake and aware of EVERYTHING. "So, you had been faking it, like we suspected all along..."

There was no retort, no hearty or off the cuff response; he was fully in the throes of his medication.

He dropped the medical box back into the duffle, shakily holding onto the bag.

“Anyone asks we just had to much fun in town, gonna head back to the sh...the...” he leaned forwarded slightly, shaking his head as if to clear it, eye lids sliding up and down in ponderous movements before finally closing, his body remaining upright.

Until he let out a loud, ungrateful snoring noise.

Tarra slipped the duffle out from his fingers and slung it over her shoulder. “Right,” she said, all business and determined. “Ameri, don’t have much time to get reacquainted right now, but we’re taking Nakali back to the ship. We'll talk on the way.”

~Tag Ameri
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:54 am

Lu stood there eating and watched some things unfolding; where was Sol going? Stopping her eating for a moment, she watched him walking off the ship and sighed. Why was everyone leaving? Granted, they had a lot of people on board, but it was sad to see people leaving.

Shaking her head, her stomach still wanted what was on her plate so she started to shovel things in, not paying much attention to the stares she was probably getting.

Tag-Anyone at party
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Firefly: Monarch