[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
SLA Ten Forward • View topic - Silence is Golden

Silence is Golden

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Silence is Golden

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:36 pm

*Part Four*

Privacy. She thought back carefully. "It started out simply as a need to get his things together, and possibly locate some clothing for him. I mean really, do we really want him wandering around naked?" She almost felt a finger flick on the back of her head, reminding her specifically of that strange conversation she had had while mopping...

"Everything in one spot in case he hadn't made it... to space it like he asked." Her face was almost implacable. "And then his duffel open, stuff on the floor..."

"Then afterwards, I got curious." She sighed again deeper.

"And just had to look around... well, that's better than just looking at stuff to be looking at stuff."

She laughed, weary and bone-tired, nerves taut and ready to move at a moment's notice. A small groan sounded from the tub, but it was more an unconscious response than anything and Tarra tipped her head over to take a look again. Still fine. "Yeah, some consolation."

Sam shrugged, "Can't say much else to help you, Tarra."

"Didn't expect help, Sam." Tarra smiled at her friend. "Life is what it is, and sometimes we xiancho up and sometimes we find our way right." She shrugged. "Apparently, I'm in the xiancho part, and depending on what happens when he wakes up, I may or may not have much to worry about after that."

Laughing she said, "Go planet side. It looks lovely out there. 'Sides, I'm just waiting on some medical folk to let me know what's what and then I might join you."

Sam shrugged, "Alright, if I don't see you in a few hours, I'm coming back and dragging you out."

*TBC*
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:55 pm

**OOC - JP - Part, the Last** And thanks again, Sam!

"Give me 5," said Tarra. "No more, and no less." She wasn't adamant, but certainly determined. And didn't look like she'd actually brook an argument which was a change from her usual speech. "Smells wonderous out there, Sam. Air's fresh and all manner of healing." Her face broadened in a true smile, "But if I were you, I'd stay out of the sun, for a spell."

Sam laughed, "What if I just cover my face and hands and try to tan the rest of me?" She asked, then headed out. "Don't worry, I'll stay in the shade."

Tarra crossed quickly before Sam left the Bay. "Mei dade," she said, heartfelt and relieved. She gave Sam a quick hug. "It's good to see you up and about. You gave me quite a scare." Pulling back she kept her face relieved and happy. "Shade or sun, stay hydrated, and stay safe." She placed a gentle kiss on Sam's cheek and turned back into the Bay. "When do you think everyone will be able to have more solid food?" Tarra asked as she went back to her spot on the floor. "I've got a celebration to plan..."

Sam cringed slightly when Tarra kissed her, her face was tender from the sunburn. "I don't know, aside from Merry and Nakali, today...as for those two, I don't know."

Tarra nodded, "Sorry," she said about the sunburn. "Ever notice when you're hurt, someone ALWAYS manages to touch it?" And thinking, "So, celebration will wait until everyone's up and around. It's for Ameri's rescue after all, so waiting will be the best thing." She remembered the pain, the horror and the reluctance... "Is she gonna be all right, Sam?"

"Physically? Yes. Mentally?" Sam sighed, her eyes flickering to where she knew Ameri's quarters to be. "She's traumatized. She's showing signs of Stolkholm, she's terrified of strangers, more than before. She's..." Sam swore, "Her father will die a slow death, Tarra, for what he's done to her. She's innocent, and always has been, and he's broken her fragile mind. Now all the Monarch's horses and men have to put Merry together again."

Tarra nodded gravely. "So, he's next, is he?" Her eyes became slightly opaque and the green was deeper, almost emerald in its shimmer. "Well, I think I've reconsidered my leaving the boat." Serena Johnson had had enough. General JJ's daughter to be sure. "Whatever you need, I'll be here. I'm also worried about Kynthia... and Lu."

"And a little about me, too."

"Sanity or health?"

"Health, mostly. I've been a bit out of sorts and stopped eating for a spell. Lost my appetite... and looking to get it back." She smiled. "You're supposed to go planet side; beautiful weather and beautiful people are calling..."

"Well, if you stop holding me back..." Sam said poking Tarra's side. "I'll come back later. Get some rest."

Tarra cringed slightly, feeling Sam connect with an emerging bruise, "Go. And I'll try."

Sam nodded, then headed off the ship.

~Tag Any on The Planet / Or in the Cargo Bay
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Galifestus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:55 am

He tried to be cool about it, but the elation in the boy's soul at being hired, even for a shore job was enough to glow out of the ends of his fingers and hair. He followed close and listened well as he was given his instructions and when the lady showed him how the strps were supposed to go, he watched closely.

Then he went to work.

The little ship didn't have much in its hold for a transport. A surprising number of the boxes were light enough for the boy to move without assistance. He was full of curiosity about what was in the boxes, but was constantly aware of his desperation to lift from Marsh Barton on this ship, and nosy boys got fired and beaten, not hired and taken along. The work was hard for him, but he perservered. He straightened each pile of crates and then bound them in place as tight as he could with the straps and netting. As he worked, he saw people come and go; some locals and some visitors. He heard snatches of conversation here and there and began to put together an idea of these people he aimed to accompany. Two of the women of the ship stopped near where he was working and talked for some time before the older and wiser of them walked off the ship. He did his level best to keep right on at his labor without betraying his interest in the long conversation, but he couldn't help but glance now and again.

~tag
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby KendleRJ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:12 am

As Tarra watched Sam go, she almost felt herself sag from the effort. She was about to turn herself back to her task until she realized that they hadn't been alone. She noticed the boy that had been on the ramp with Lu and Kynthia fairly close by in the Cargo Bay, and he was working.

She must have been more tired and distracted than she thought and looked up to smile at him as he worked diligently and quietly away. He seemed to spook a little easy since he didn't try to hold her glance so Tarra thought to put the young man at ease. Their conversation wasn't private; if it had been the Cargo Bay and its open airness would have been the WORST place to have it; so she smiled wider and spoke.

"The name's Tarra, young man and you're fixing to work up a mighty fine appetite," his little muscles were working hard and his breath seemed a little laboured by the consistent effort. "I'm the Chef of a sort on board and was wondering if you had a hankering for something I could fix you to give you a bit of energy once you're done in here?" There were a few things prepped and ready to serve, as usual, and he might appreciate a short rest in a spell to recover a bit.

"And no need to shy away neither; I don't bite at all," Tarra tapped her teeth, "See? Not even real." And she winked at him as he continued to work.

~Tag Bug
USS Legacy
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:03 am

Kynthia looked over to Lu after a few minutes. She tapped the other woman on the leg, pulling her back from her reverie.

"Lu?" she prompted. "This would sure be a nice place for Chris to rest. Think that would be right?" she asked again.

TAG - Lu.

She watched the young man working. Her instinct said there was more to him than it seemed. He wasn't as well dressed as the villagers for starters. Was more anxious than them too. She'd been the type once. Almost desperate to find a place to settle. That was why she had bounced from ship to ship for such a long time before getting the berth on the Monarch. It occurred to her that she no longer needed to have the cargo hold hole anymore. That would be a good one to get the lad to clean out too.

In the meantime, she needed to also get a grip on what they were doing next. Where they were going to go. She decided to check any available jobs on nearby planets and such from the cortex. Standing up, she was amused to notice that the drink had made her a little spinny. She walked into the ship again, passing by Bug and showing him where to find the little space she had made a home for a while onboard this ship. She asked him to clear it out, and then he could take a break. Then passed by the Walkers still working with Nakali and almost tripped going up the stairs to the upper level.

Once she was seated in front of the Cortex screen, she took a deep breath and punched in the access code for The Monarch. Something scrolled across the screen that made her stop.

Ten Years. She touched the screen. It was Ten Years coming up soon. And the Browncoats were being summoned back to Serenity Valley. They still had two months to get there. But Kynthia knew, deep down, that they needed to be there the morning of the anniversary.

She hunted through the available jobs that would take them in the right direction. Scowling when she realised that most of the good ones were already gone. This was going to take some work.

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 am

Lu had barely comprehended what Kynthia was saying before she jumped at the tap on her leg. "Huh? Oh um...better than any of the other places we've been recently. And as long as the people here don't mind it." She sat herself down on the floor and just stared out at the land. This would be a nice place, hard to come visit, but if she were to come visit, she'd end up with memories coming back that she didn't want.

A small tear came to her eye as she sipped more from the bottle. It was going to be hard to do this when the time came, there was no telling what she would end up doing when they finally did that. For now, she pushed her mind away from that and looked out at the land some more, focusing on the look of it.

Tag-Any
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Galifestus » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:24 pm

The lady spoke and smiled at him, and even winked, making a joke. Bug responded with a genuine smile, but was working too hard to speak right, and he did not wish to seem weak in front of any of this crew.
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:56 am

The lady spoke and smiled at him, and even winked, making a joke. Bug responded with a genuine smile, but was working too hard to speak right, and he did not wish to seem weak in front of any of this crew.

Well then, the young man was hard-working and friendly enough; obviously busily intent on his tasks. "It's all right, young man," she said, recalling some phrases from her old home on Londinium. "You're busy, and so am I. But remember, if you need anything from the Kitchen, you can always check in with either me or the Captain."

~Tag Bug

She turned back to the Walkers brothers, still fussing over Nakali, and whispering together about various things. They hadn't batted an eye when Sam and she were speaking, and time was slowly winding itself towards a need for Nakali to be secured. The blankets, now dry, lay on the Cargo Bay floor and Tarra began rolling each one up into a tight package. Squat and firm, she set them tobe ready for placement under Nakali's head, each arm to wedge him into the tub and the last to go over his whole body. If Tarra was going to experience another walking hallucination of sorts, he should at least be wearing a blanket.

Distractions aside, she was wondering what the doctors, or at least diagnosticians, might have in mind to help Nakali recover. Turning her focus, slowly drifting and returning, back to the two Villagers, Tarra waited patiently for them to address her directly again.

~Tag Villagers / Bug / Any
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:11 am

Sam headed off the ship, onto the planet, grabbing her hat as she went. The planet was pretty, very green. Small cottages a little bit away, some people standing around. She didn't pay much attention to the people though, heading for the village. Where there was a village was inevitably a pub. Where there was a pub was alcohol. Where there was alcohol, she could get smashed and replenish her supplies.
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Galifestus » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:24 am

"But remember, if you need anything from the Kitchen, you can always check in with either me or the Captain."

Bug made a little bow and a sloppy salute, then grabbed at the box that was threatening to tip over onto him. He forced the box into stable balance and went about strapping the stack to the wall. As he did he could not help but think and hope. He kept breaking into a grin despite his efforts to look all serious and composed.

There were only a few more boxes to secure, now, but they were right by the men working over what looked for all the world like a corpse in an ice bath. Bug didn't want to look closer after his first glimpse. He wasn't sure he would not see the blistered and tortured face in his sleep some late night.

What he did find was a broom, and he began sweeping at the far corner of the bay from the man in the box.
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby KendleRJ » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:01 am

'Breathe,' thought Tarra as she stood, almost swaying from lack of sleep and strain waiting for the brothers' final say so. She shifted the weight of Nakali's duffel over her shoulder, patient and almost snoozing on her feet. It had been a hell of a day yesterday and the night had been full of so much...

Her eyelids opened and closed slowly, almost rhythmically as she heard a low, regular hum from the Walkers discussion. There was a slow, steady tapping from behind her, intermingling with her perception on an alternate consciousness until it stopped almost directly behind her and she started awake.

A low, comforting voice spread out and spoke gently to the boys as Tarra felt a reassuring presence behind her. She wanted to turn around and see who it might be, but her head felt heavy and full of cobwebs as she heard something cut through specifically and directly at her. "Miss," she heard and looked slowly into the face of an older lady, who looked so much like the boys in front of her that there was no mistaking their lineage. "We'll be moving this young man to a more sanitary location."

Tarra moved slightly sideways but closer to the brothers, both lifting the tub as one. "I'm coming," she said, flat and even, a statement rather than a question. "Lu, going planet side, making sure Nakali's settled," her voice raised to address the pilot, still seated on the ramp.

~Tag Lu

Alice placed a hand around Tarragon's shoulder and said, "That's all right, little lady." There seemed something a mite familiar about this girl, thought Alice and kept her arm resting gently on her shoulder. "You're coming with us; you need your own brand of caring..."

As they walked, Tarra's hands almost slipped out from around the duffel she held for safekeeping, which kept her awake and focussed enough to follow still under her own steam. She almost tied it directly around her neck to stop it from sliding and trying to escape. She knew that Nakali was in front of her as the warm sun hit her face, and she immediately tried to cover his exposed skin, but the brothers had already settled him with that.

Serena's mind wandered, taking in the smells and sounds around her, and as they came up to some of the cabins, Alice swept her hand across to them. "We'll take care of your friend, you need some rest." Tarra came back to herself for a moment. "His watch will go off, like an alarm." She turned to face the lady and looked at her squarely. "You come and get me as soon as it sounds." Alice was simply staring, now that she saw Tarragon Hunter in full frontal view. Her face was...

"You promise me," Tarra said, a little more firmly. "There are things he'll need... and he'll need to be cared for." Alice finally closed her mouth and said, "We'll take care of him, dear." Frankly and boldly pushing her hand under Tarra's chin and moving her face back and forth, she said, "Young lady, what is your name?"

"I'm called Tarragon Hunter," she said, trying to extricate her face from the grip. "Why do you ask?"

Alice shook her head and was puzzled. "No Hunters here, Ms. Tarragon," looking her over even more intensely. "But there are some Johnsons." There was a mental note left somewhere in the back of Tarra's brain, to ask this lady about that. But only after Nakali was settled, and she had a bit of rest...

~Tag Any
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Galifestus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:02 am

Bug put the sweepings in the disposal chute and put the broom away. He looked around the bay, now open and empty of the people who had been there. He grabbed a rag from the broom closet and policed up the dribbles of water that had spilled from the makeshift bath the injured man had been taken out with. Only then did he remember the other part of his job.

It was easy enough to find the cubby hole the captain had told im about, and it was a moment more till he was inside the tiny chamber. It stank, not of woman but of man. There was every evidence that someone had been living here fairly recently, and that someone had left an insane mess. Here he thought the stacking of boxes, some as heavy as his whole self, was the hard part of the job. He'd have to resweep the cargo bay after he'd dragged the better part of the detritus from this stinking hovel, and then walk through with a flamer for to get the bugs left behind. Maybe burn his own stuff too, he thought as he flicked something small with many legs off of his sleeve.

There was nothing for it but work, and work he did. Every now and again he'd run across something of interest, or of especial glick factor. The good he set aside for further examination, tha bad went on the growing pile outside the panel he'd started with what was once a fairly nice shipboard bedsheet. It took time and effort as well as a couple breathers to avoid freaking out over some particularly nasty bit. He was about played out after it was all done, but he had the chamber sort of clean if not sparkly and smelling of cleaner, a bottle of which he'd found in the broom locker. He put back the bottle and turned to the piles.

The bad pile, and it was unspeakably bad, he folded the sheet over, effectively wrapping it into a parcel. It was too heavy for him to lift by his lonesome, but he could drag it, and this he did, right down the ramp and out of the ship, out of the square, through an alley to the village burn pile and up onto a mound of the community's garbage ready for incineration. He backed up out of the safety range and hit a broad red button. Nothing happened.

He trotted forward, all the run he had in him, and shooed a dog that was investigating the smells of the pile. He returned to the button on its stand and pressed again. This time, with no living thing on the pile but the vermin, a blue fire blew up through the pile, igniting it and reducing it in an accelerated burn. Bug almost expected screaming from the little things living in the trash he'd put upon the pile, but the fire reduced the whole of it to ashes without drama of any sort. An automatic machine swept the ahses off the grid and into a bin, and that was that.

(editted for dramatic effect)
Last edited by Galifestus on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Tavey » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:40 am

Kynthia quietly made a note of one or two potential jobs that they might be able to pick up on the way to Hera. Then made a decision that Maverick would have frowned upon.

"The Monarch. Clean accomodations available for short trips. Picking up on Dyton heading to Hera. Reasonable rates. Rooms from cubbies to cabins. Food included. Send a message to this ident for more information."

TAG - Paul

She hit the send before she could change her mind. Getting a couple of browncoats on their way to the anniversary wouldn't hurt one bit. Plus, it would be nice to let their hair down a bit and play some new music on the way.

She made her way to the cargo hold and stopping in pleased surprise. The place was in great shape. The floors had been swept and the door to her old hole was standing open. She peeked inside, sniffing at a sour odour that hung inside there. She frowned, then realised that this must have been where that man had hidden. The one who had been stalking Tarragon. She shuddered, a deep visceral shudder that shook her soul as well as her bones.

She looked around for the kid, only to spy him dragging something through the village. She watched him for a moment then returned to sitting beside Lu.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:16 am

The pub was the sort you looked for on the front of a post card, the usual ones that came with ‘Courtesy of Image Enhancement Inc’ logo somewhere on them. Small booths lined the two walls that ran away from the entrance, with the bar and its forest of stool right in front of her. Heavy on the natural timber and oak construction, if it hadn’t been for a few modern amenities the pub could very well have come from the dark ages of Earth That Was-the late 1970’s.

One of those modern trinket’s was a holographic sign buzzing behind the bar, alternating from a ‘BlueSun Miller Larger’ sign, to the logo of a popular soft drink of the same company name, and a self programmed sign stating ‘No guns’n’fighting’. The bar tender behind the bar didn’t look like the basement programmer type, more the basement brewing kinda sort. Barrel chested, with arms that look like they’d come from the same trees as the wood made for the pubs walls and supports, the flash of red hair atop his balding crown gave reassurance he would have an accent.

And he did.

“Well top’oh the mornin’ to ya.” He let out in a warm mannered Irish brogue, that seemed to come part and parcel with this world of secrets and apparent fantasy “Not a day goes by...well nah that’s a lie, been a while since we had a off worlder come through, but let it never be said that Shamus McDonald won’t serve a guest in his house.”

He stepped back, and with a large baseball mitt of a hand gestured to the bar’s hand pumps and the wall of bottles...and many of them looked old, like real old, like ‘This will set me back three months wages for half a shot’ old.

“What’ll it be? First ones on the house, tis tradition.” Shamus stated with a warm smile towards Sam.
But Shamus wasn’t the only one smiling at the new, clearly off world arrival. He sat in a corner booth, nursing a small bowl of peanuts that was quenching a serious case of the munchies. His light desert clay complexion and dark hair that hung around his face like a curtain call gone wrong would have given him nicknames like Jericho or Dances With Wolves if he was in a tourist trap hell hole like Persephone.

But most locals called him Dennis the Deadhead, though his parents had christened him Dennis Ravenfeather. Oh well, no one got to pick their name, and Dennis was an expert in ways to make sure you didn’t know what your name was, and more importantly, didn’t care.

But he did care about off worlds, with a ship..and hopefully, a open mind to opportunity.

TAG-Sam, or dude...wait, what?

Shamus
Dennis the Deadhead
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Sam Crerar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:25 am

“What’ll it be? First ones on the house, tis tradition.”

Sam eyed the red-headed bartender carefully, appraising him for a fight the same as she would do any other man. Then she looked at the bar of bottles. "Don't matter to me, something strong. And I'm interested in buying several bottles if you've got it at a decent rate, I imagine a place like this, you'd specialize in apple cider." She replied, watching him to gauge his reaction. For some reason, this world felt too good to be true.

She looked around quickly, there were only a few other people in the pub. One sat in the back eating something, she couldn't tell what. He was gaunt with a mop of greasy black hair, and oddly enough, he was smiling at her. If he thought he'd have a chance at an off-worlder fling, he was SOL, but if there was something else on his mind, well, that would depend on what it was and how he approached her.
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Kris » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:48 am

Lu sat and watched the goings on in front of her and sighed. Not even looking over at Kynthia, she started to speak softly. "You put in somethin' bout Hera and Dyton? I say one of those places for Chris. He liked them places, and I say it only fair we let him rest there." She downed what was left in the bottle and just let it sit on the ramp. She was tempted to just knock it down and watch it roll, but she didn't.

Finally turning her gaze over to the woman sitting next to her, she tried to give a half smile. "Only fair, right?"

Tag-Kynthia
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby KendleRJ » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:25 pm

Tarragon Hunter padded after the sloshing tub, mindful of keeping her feet under her, but not where they were actually headed. She refused to settle in one of those cabins until she knew for certain what was happening with Nakali. It was if the lack of sleep had allowed her to keep only one single thought in her head at any one time, and it was presently filled with the need to get Bianselong's status under reasonable control, and THEN she could fall over.

Suddenly they burst through the doors into a building in another area of the Village and her nose was assaulted with various smells and ears with sounds. Simplistic surroundings with a rustic flair, but Tarra could see equipment through glass doors further in that were hauntingly familiar... she was so in shock that her feet stopped walking as the brothers pushed through and into the next section before Tarra could follow. There were a few people seated in well-appointed chairs around a reception-type area, and there was a severe sinking in her stomach as she realized that there was no way she could pay...

"Please," her voice came out a little ragged and desperate, "Stop!" No one beyond the doors could hear her, but everyone in the main area turned to look at her, clinging to Nakali's duffel and stopping in the centre of the room. She suddenly became aware of others around her and she coloured slightly as she looked for an open chair and sat beside a lady holding a baby close to her chest.

Tarra said under her breath, "I don't have anything to use for money to pay..." She held the duffel like a child in her lap and turned to look at the lady, now aware that she was staring at Tarra. "Sorry, ma'am," Tarra said as she went to stand up, but a hand stopped her. Turning to protest, her mouth was open in shock as she faced an older version of her Aunt Caren and tears were clinging to her eyelashes, held suspended in disbelief.

"It can't be," Caren said, voice breaking slightly as she looked at Tarra and then into her eyes. Oh, things may have changed to take away some of that wide-eyed innocence, but the colour of them and the glinting chain around her neck... "Oh in the name of all that's Holy, you're Serena, aren't you? They waved us and told us you were dead."

TBC
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Kynthia smiled as she looked back at Lu. "Yup." she replied. "Only fair. Besides, we've been invited to go to Hera anyway. Might be nice to place him with the Browncoats resting there. You know, in that graveyard right next to the valley?"

TAG - Lu.

In the meantime, Chris's body was resting peacefully in one of the refrigerated containers that was designed for this kind of task. Most ships carried them, tucked away in their back holds and only brought out when space burial wasn't wanted. Kynthia, however, was suddenly reminded of another body that they still hadn't gotten round to dealing with. One kind of hidden in pieces. She shook her head slightly. They really had to deal with him soon.

"I'll make some calls. You got any ideas as to who he served with?"

TAG - Lu.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:59 am

“Ahhhh...” he said waggling a sausage sized finger at Sam, turning with a wide smile to kneel by the cabinets arrayed on the back side of the bar “A lass after my own heart, ya know what you want, and how ta get it. None of that faffing ab'oot and wasting the light of day.”

He returned a moment later, standing with four bottles whose necks were held in the grip of his powerful hands like childs toys, and placed them on the worn wooden counter top with remarkable care. They didn’t wear any fancy marketing labels, or even notations on just how high the chances were you’d never see again after a nip.

But for some that was just icing on the cake.

“Got ourselves here a sweet, a medium and a dry cider...all homemade I hasten to add, none of those fancy nano fermentation tanks you’ll find on other worlds. Real gut rot, for real folk!” Shamus grinned, and then rapped a beefy knuckle against the last bottle “And this one’s a delicacy for sorts, wife’s got a taste for it but then again I’m sure she won’t mind if a few bottles make it off world to lighten the mood of others. Tis a pear cider, an interesting 'bouquet' ya might say?”

He leaned down and plucked a small tumbler from under the counter, placing it before her with a beneficent smile and one of those little airplane coasters made of tissuse paper.

“I’ll leave you here for a spell, let you sample what you like...and if you don’t like, well like I said we don’t get main off worlders now do we?” he turned to go into the back of the bar, to where a kitchen or cellar might reside “Just recall we have enough of that to make it worth your while to get a discount on bulk purchases.”

His hearty, booming laugh echoed as he entered the back of the bar, but Sam was not left alone. Dennis had sulked his way from his booth, bowl of nuts in hand, and had gotten to the bar without falling down any holes or just simply falling unconscious. He’d done that once, and he didn’t like the way people looked at him after that night.

Something about the town fountain and declaring himself the Dancing Queen, or something like that.

“Hey.” He said, plopping his back side down on a stool and placing the bowl infront of himself “Sorry to intrude but, I got me a feeling your not a local are you? Or maybe you are, but I’m a fan of first time hellos.”

He turned, and in the easy manner of a man well liked for being as harmful as a kitten on NyQuil, extended a surprisingly well manicured hand. Everything on this world seemed to suggest one method of living, whilst secretly being maintained by another. A planet made into a hole, with the opening pulled in after it, with a satellite dish sticking out of it to pick up Sky HD.

“Names Dennis, Dennis Ravenfeather...or Deadhead if you talk to certian crowds.” he looked at the four bottles and whistled “You must have really gotten Shamus’s kilt going. Four bottles to taste? He likes you.”

TAG-Sam

Shamus the Barkeep
Dennis the Deadhead

Jake Sjet

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:59 am

"Aunty Caren," Tarra said, low and evenly, keeping her eyes clear since she had no strength in her to do anything else, "Serena's dead. I go by the name Tarragon Hunter now." Looking around, she noticed that her Uncle Tyrell, and two young boys were also there and standing around her in amazement. Rising and keeping the duffel hooked, she let it slide slowly to the floor as she felt herself wrapped in many arms. Warmth stole into her skin, her heart and her soul in that moment. She felt their love pouring out to encompass her and the man who was her father's (no, she corrected, the General's) brother looked at her with those same eyes; held such relief and love within them for her that she almost lost her footing and her bearings.

Being alone in the 'Verse for almost 6 years, no contact with family, with anyone who she thought might have cared... holding onto the hope that if she just did better, achieved more, impressed more, kept safe and pure, that she could go home again. And at the edge of the shattering of that dream, the knowledge that there was nothing more for her excepting this lot she had carved out for herself, she settled. Settled with NOT becoming a Chef since she would never have the funds, settled with being alone in the 'Verse and without family ever again, and settled for nowhere in particular since nowhere was where she seemed to always end up.

As soon as she explained the situation to these good folks who really weren't related to her at all, she would be alone again, even moreso, with the knowledge that she could have just lied...

"There's some to explain, Uncle Ty, but right now, I have a friend who's in there." Tarragon turned and looked through the doors into the inner glassed area, watching them carefully remove the pinkened Nakali who also seemed to be flaking off skin as they gently moved him to a table, and then covered him quickly. "And the worst of it is, I can't pay." She spun back slowly, aware that she was getting dizzy with everything and sat down heavily in the chair behind her, breathing deeply to get her bearings.

"Now," she corrected. "I can't pay NOW."

TBC
Last edited by KendleRJ on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:36 pm

Lu shook her head at Kynthia, "Not really. All I know is that he was considered a bomb rat. I never got to meet anyone because my dad never let me go off to see where he was. I was stuck at home all the time." She shrugged and decided to kick the empty bottle down the ramp. "Bet they'd know his name if he did work with 'em though."

She leaned against the wall again, she was being pulled into a rather drunken stupor. As well as she tended to hold her alcohol, the stronger stuff made her a little loopy, and it would show in her actions soon enough.

Tag-Kynthia, anyone else.
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Jake Sjet » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Sam looked at the man, Dennis, Deadhead, although he didn't look much like a corpse. "I guess I'm just his style, either that or he really wants to make a sale for a case or two. You was right in thinking I'm an off-worlder, though, just came in about an hour ago on the firefly. What do you want?"

“I mean no offense to a pretty lady like you, but Silence is a small pond...that and your ship made some really sweet mood music when it came down from upon high.” He grinned and, taking a handful of peanuts fed them one by one into his maw the way one might a fine truffle.

“And what I want...is to share in a truly unique bus-i-ness opportunity with you, and your ship.” He leant forward for a second “Your like, the captain or something right cause I get that vibe off you...that your powerful...”
He wiggled his fingers a little.

“It’s all in your aura.”

Sam raised an eyebrow at the man, appraising him again. He was a little odd. "First mate of the Monarch. What exactly is your unique business opportunity? 'cause I'm pretty sure you're not going to tell me apples."

“No but it needs a tender hand to grow it, and the gleeful rays of the sun to feed...” he grinned, tossing back the last handful of peanuts “Or a 60W xenon bulb if its winter. I provide, well myself and my...business partners-“

Jake, Aaron, Keth and Nabaal were all back at the farm, hopefully not turning their product into smoke to blow up their soon to be transporter’s ass.

“-grow a certain, herb let’s say that the local powers seem to love to tax. I can only ship it out on government licensed freighters. I pay through the nose, and the Alliance makes money.” He giggled slightly, shaking his head “It’s a crime...so I’m willing to cut someone in on a transport contract to Dayton, and your ship...well, fits my bill.”

"And you just want to avoid the taxes." Sam replied, looking at him. "Highly taxed herb must be medicinal."

"It cans be." he smiled, shaking his head "Local powers will tax anything, possibly the air I breath but I don't open those kinda letters these days. I see it as...universal people pleaser, ya know?"

"Hashweed."

He shrugged "You say tomato..."

"No, that's a fruit. How much are we looking at moving?"

"Really? A fruit? Who'd have guessed?" he ran his fingers along the convex dome of the empty bowl "About a quarter of a metric ton, all of it packed up into standard Alliance cargo boxes with a couple of food bar layers on top in case the Feddies want a gander at the goodies."

He smiled at her, tapping his nose "Not my first BBQ."

But now he had a craving for it.

Sam took a swig of the pear cider, and then coughed slightly. No to that. "Barbeque is pork."

"I always BBQ chicken myself, but that’s neither here..." he nodded at the cider, and then to the bowl "...nor there. But come on, gotta admit it's tempting? Money's good too, this guy who's my contact always pay his bills in cashy money. You deliver to the guy, he hands the money to a friend of mine who'll give you your 10% cut and the rest comes homes to Silence on the next shuttle headed to...."

He spread his fingers and laughed "No where central."

"Well, yes, it is tempting. Half a metric ton of hashweed, minus the tariffs..." Sam shrugged, "I think we could do business, Dennis."

"That, pretty lady..." he held out a hand to her, and smiled a harmless smile "Is very shiny."
Sam shook his hand this time. "By the way, name's Sam."

"Sam." he nodded, his hand lightly holding hers and shaking before pausing for a second, and smiled "Ya like to see it? Your cargo and all that?"
"Sure, but, first libation."

He grinned at her, nodding at the bottles "You're a pretty lady after my own heart, I'd avoid the dray cider...Shamus is still working on that one. He's close but he's still got a ways to go."
Sam grabbed the dry cider and sniffed it for a second, then took a sip. "Eh, it's not as bad as the pear. Why his wife likes it..."

"You've not met her yet." he smiled at Sam, taking the bottle of Pear cider and taking a small drag from it "She's the village peace keeper."
"Ah, a law-man. I'll avoid her." Sam replied, finishing off the dry cider, which did need work. Then started on the medium.

"No...No you won't." he grinned, sipping from his bottle as the cider slid down this throat "Molly is a hound like no other, she even gets a whiff your avoiding her she'll hunt you down and have you in leg irons before the day is through. The only reason I get away with my trade is..."
He leant back, spreading his arms.
"What do I look like?"

Sam shrugged, "I've made my life avoiding lawmen, and I’m quite talented at it. As for you, you look vaguely like a cat that’s had too much nip."

"I look harmless, and I smoke a little." he smiled widely "She avoids me because I upset her morals, but I don't break the law. Alliance ships out my product, just doesn't allow me to sell my own."
"So...ship comes in, Molly'll found ya...but she cannot be allowed to find out I'm selling to ya. Or else..." he shrugged

"We're not hiding that we're here. Or what we're doing here. I just dun want her to know much 'bout me." Sam replied quietly. "But dun worry, your product will be safe."
"Good...." he smiled at her widely, nodding "That’s very good to hear."
Sam started on the sweet one. "We're professionals."

"You’re a piece of work that’s what you are." Dennis laughed.
"You are as well." She said, finishing the sweet cider. She would probably buy the medium, but sweet might be good. "Let's go look at the product."

"Aye aye." he smiled, snagging the bottle he'd been sipping from tucking it into a pocket of his coat. He nodded at the door "After you Sam."
Sam eyed him taking the bottle, then stood up and headed out. "You'll have to tell me where to go."

"Just follow me and we'll get there." he grinned and led her outside. From there they walked, not to far maybe say a mile or so from the town until they came to a farmstead. A small rustic farm house, padded on both sides by two very unmodern prefab barns. The loud hum of generators throbbed from behind the large metal buildings, fighting for dominance with the bird songs.

A man sat on the farm houses porch on a rocking chair; he was an older gentleman in a flannel shirt and jeans, holding onto the stock and barrel of a long rifle.
A rifle he cocked upon seeing Sam.

"Whoa...Nabaal down with the hard ware!" Dennis called out with a smile "Sammy here...is our fly girl." Nabaal looked unconvinced by Dennis's statement.
Sam put a hand on Dennis' shoulder and squeezed. "Don't call me Sammy, Dennis, and we'll be good." She looked up at Nabaal. "Listen, friend, I'm the first mate of the new ship in town, probably saw it, firefly..."

"Last time I saw a Firefly...I was dragging my buddy back on board, trying to stuff his insides back in after a Fed took a cheap shot at him back in the War." Nabaal growled, the gun in his hands not lowering as he uncocked it slowly "They come with memories for me."

"SamSamSamSam." Dennis let out in one breathe "ArmLosingFeeling."

Sam let go of the man's shoulder. "Feds are always trouble, but the firefly ain't a bad class. I thought this planet, though, was mostly Alliance friendly, though hidden."

The old man, worn and weary, held the rifle by one hand and pounded a gnarled fist against his chest "Sergeant Soto Nabaal, Fighting 51st of Serenity Valley fame! Last guns to be dropped in the cease fire with the Feds."
"Corporal Samantha Crerar, 12th Infantry. Didn't make it as far as Serenity Valley, got napped at Du Khang."
He winced, nodding in understanding.

"You made it through, that’s the important thing. You were taken in arms Corporal, but I can well assure you that whilst the Generals and so on surrendered, we fought on to the last." he smiled, putting the rifle down at his side and gestured to a long bench by the side of the porch "But many never surrendered. Might a man, who worked for his living, ask a woman who did the same to sit a spell and chat?"

Sam nodded, "Certainly."

"But we got to go see the-" Dennis's complaint was killed off with Nabaals glare "-But that can wait, I'll be in barn one getting a sample together for you Sam."
Nabaal watched the young Deadhead wander off, shivering "I apologies for the boy."

Sam nodded again, "Very well, Dennis, and there's always time. We'll probably be here another day or two." She looked over at Nabaal. "That's fine, although he does seem a bit odd. So what are you doing on a rock like this?"

He smiled and sat down, leaning the rifle against the wall of the house, and pulled up his left pant leg. Around his ankle sat a simple black ringlet of metal, no thicker than a pencil.
"Piss off the wrong person?"

"Probation." he admitted "Some....kind citizens of Pacifica Drift decided on U-Day to pick a fight with a...." he laughed "An old, battered war horse with no fight left in him. I gave as well as I got, didn't help I broke two of their legs and smashed the nose of another."
He leaned back, dropping the pant leg.

"Tough luck." Sam said, shaking her head.
"So I get sent here, to work on a farm for...for my crimes, to rehabilitate me." he shook his head and looked out across the farm "Can't rehab a man whose only crime is crying to be free...."
He looked at Sam "And you, my fine lady...Sam...Why are you here?"

"My ship came here to refuel, resupply, and drop off a few people. Saul Armstrong and his girl."
"Saul?" Nabaal perked up, a wicked grin appearing on his withered face "Your not name dropping like the kids in town, for the want of hearing a war story are you?"
"Maverick is a right hun-dahn, Sergeant. And I still ain't forgiven him, 'cause he keeps killing people without letting them suffer as due. I ain't name dropping."

"Never knew a corporal who did, at least not one I liked." he shook his head, and then turned his eyes towards the sky "Almost time..."
"What's almost time?" Sam asked, looking up as well.

"...I can feel it, you can laugh if you like I don't mind...a calling, all my friends who didn't make it out of the war." he nodded again towards the sky "Hera...each year they begin to draw me back, like sirens...and this time..." he tapped his tagged foot.
"I think that's where we're headed next. Two months."

"Two months..." the old man whispered, looking down, worrying his lips. For a moment he didn't look back up at Sam, his foot tapping slowly as the birds sang, and the generators hummed behind them.
"I can pay..." he said in a weak voice, looking back up at her with lips pressed so close together they made a razor sharp line across his face "...Not a lot, but I can pay you if ya got room for an old man needing to give his men and women their dues?"
Sam nodded, "I'll have to talk to my Captain, but I'm sure she'll say yes. She was at the Valley as well."

"Many were, not a lot go back." he whispered, and took in a big breathe and shrugged off the emotion he'd felt in a laugh "I remember every colored joke I heard in those trenches....might not recall what I had for breakfast this morning but I'll recall those jokers till the day I...well.."

"Aye. I still go back to those fields every night."
"Tangle weed." he said suddenly, nodding as though to firm up the memory "That gorram planet they had on Hera grew fast and thick if you didn't watch it. I remember the smell it made when you cut it back, smelt like foot...I miss it, odd as it sounds."

Sam chuckled, "The sulfur of Du Khang. I'm sure we'll get you to Hera. Hope they don't hold it against us that I used to fly with the bastard of Serenity Valley..."
"I'd fly with the Prime minister of the Alliance, or the Devil, if it got me to Serenity for that time and place." Nabaal shot back, shaking his head "I have the will, the body..."
"And an ankle bracelet that might want to be clipped off before we go."

"Yes..." he grinned, looking out across the farm yard "A gift from Molly...you know about our local...'light of justice'."
Sam grunted, "Yeah, Dennis warned me about her. Has a terrible taste in cider too."

"What Shamus was thinking when he married that woman, I'll never know but I have never seen a happier couple in all my long days." he went quiet for a moment, and then stood up using the gun as a cane "Now, if you'll pardon me I have a patrol to walk in case the Streakers get back in the barns."
Sam nodded, "Very well, I'll go talk to Dennis. Come by the ship later and talk to Kynthia, the captain."

"Sounds like a plan." he tapped a hand against the side of his head in farewell and turned to walk down the steps to the far yard, and his patrol.
But not before he could be heard humming, a song for every soldier in every war...From the Halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli...

Sam waited for a moment, and then headed into the barn. "Alright, Dennis, the product."
The barn was as large on the inside as it was on the outside. Row after row of hydro tanks filled up the space, with tall leafy green plants filling the air with their odd scent. They all stood to attention under bright, hot white lights.

And Dennis was there too, standing next to six large official looking cargo pods, one of which was open. Food packs looked out at her, apart from where some had been dug out to reveal small brown parcels. Dennis held up one, and tossed it to her.
Sam caught it and looked at it carefully. "Looks good."

"It's the best." Dennis grinned "So we're...in business?"
"We're in business, Dennis." She replied with a smile, "Have it shipped to the Monarch, as food rations."
"Yes ma'am!" he grinned, throwing a god awful salute and walking away before stopping "Wait you want me to take you back to town?"
Sam nodded, "If you'd like, if not, I can find it on my own."

"You might like the walk. Just watch out for Rambo out there." Dennis called over his shoulder.
"Don't worry about that, Dennis. Just get the boxes to the ship." Sam replied, turning around and heading out.

A JP By Sam, Dennis and Nabaal

Jake Sjet

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:32 pm

Her face was stricken slightly as she realized that she was going to ask for a favour from someone within a few moments of being resurrected and then reunited. "I am so sorry to ask, but, can I use my pendant as down payment for treatment and then work out how to pay off the rest?" There was a catch in her throat at her embarrassment and tears gathered only to wet the surface of her eyes, causing them to sparkle sadly and she looked away.

“You don’t have to see about arranging that, sir,” she said to her Uncle; her FORMER Uncle. “I’m truly dead to the General and should be to his kin as well.” She raised her hand to stop any interruption and tried to speak high enough of a level for the children not to understand fully, but it didn’t matter, they would know later. “My mother and the Chef…” Standing, Tarra said, “It’s a twisted joy to find…” she so wanted to say family, but it wouldn’t pass her lips. They weren’t really related.

“Family,” said Uncle Tyrell for her and her heart swelled. “Jonathan, Timothy, say hello to your cousin Serena, oh, I’m sorry, Qinzeng… Tarragon.” Each boy threw his arms around her where they could reach, and the feelings were sweeter with the accpetance. John was older, and she remembered him as a young ‘un seeing her off on the shuttle to Sihnon. But Timothy? And the baby? They must have been born here - but why; why not at home with the rest of the Johnson clan? And truly, where was here?

“Cuz,” she said, running her hand through each of their heads of hair as greeting to keep her emotions in check; it had been so long since she had been with family. Boys could get fussy too quickly so she stayed away from overt shows of affection. And she remembered that Jonathan had been her birthday buddy. "Happy belated, Johnny," she said and smiled down at him.

TBC
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Quamie » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:11 pm

Ameri crept from her room into the corridor. The bandages held the soothing salve to her skin, loosening the tightness and helping to prevent further damage. The ship was quiet. No voices. No footsteps save her own. Relief that the strangers were apparently gone mixed with fear. Had she been left alone again? She went to the infirmary. No one. She crept to the cargo bay, where Nakali had been placed. No one.

Voices drifted up to her from the ramp, and she stole down the stairway, edging along toward the ramp until she recognized the voices. Lu and Kynthia. Ameri let loose a sigh of relief, a breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding.

Still silent, Ameri approached, sinking to the surface of the ramp nearby. She curled her feet under her, making herself as small as possible without stretching her back.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Galifestus » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Bug walked, weary and worn almost plum out, back to the ship. He had a rather strong curiosity to look through the dozen or so items in the "keepin" pile. There were few things of actual value, as it went, and there were a couple things of actual value he'd be obliged to hand to the captain, but the rest..., well a little examination would determine.

He walked into the square barely a half hour after he'd left, but the sun was nearly setting. It must have taken longer than he thought to clean the cubby. He was able enough to walk up the ramp into the bay, but his steps were not those of his first trot up this ramp. He stopped short, however when he saw three women sitting on the ramp relaxing in the sunset light. One of them was the Captain who'd hired him, and he threw up a child's parody of a salute.

"Ma'am I got it pretty good, but I might have to sweep up some from the pile I took and burnt. Got some stuff left over to show ya I found in there," the kid reported.

~tag ramp folks
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Firefly: Monarch