Silence is Golden

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Silence is Golden

Postby Quamie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:58 am

Ameri controlled her fascination with the music box. She'd always had a fondness for fragile things but she respected Nakali's privacy. She was at a loss as to what exactly was happening, and watched helplessly as Nakali popped pills she had no idea what was in. Tarra seemed to be an old hand at this; Ameri felt she had no choice but to trust that Tarra knew what was going on with Nakali.

And then Nakali went narcoleptic on them. Ameri rushed forward reflexively to support him as Tarra took the duffel.

“Right,” Tarra said, all business and determined. “Ameri, don’t have much time to get reacquainted right now, but we’re taking Nakali back to the ship. We'll talk on the way.”

"What's happening?" Ameri shook her head in confusion, but was at the same time grabbing a wheelchair. She helped him get settled. "He was... he seemed to be doing well, considering his condition. What were those pills he took?"

tag Tarra
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Jake Sjet » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:30 pm

“Excuse me, Miss?” came a Rim world accented voice from behind Lu. The man speaking was tall and board of shoulder, and old to boot. His hair was a tsunami of salt and pepper with a wee jet black curls still holding onto the fortified high ground in a style that could only come from a life in the military: angular crew cut, trimmed to within the tolerance of modern science, or the eye of a Gunny Sergeant.

He wore a plain button shirt, and what could have been the lower half of his Sunday best with creases that could have been used for shaving for their sharpness. His boots showed a full day’s work on them, the pale brown dust of Silences hill’s clinging to them like a malingering varnish.

He was not crew, but the warmth of his grandfatherly smile was a pleasing sight none the less as he held a worn and weary riders hat atop his chest, the very image of the Southern Gentlemen class of days gone by.

“I am truly sorry to intrude upon your lonesome musing, and if I am interrupting you please tell me and I will do as the dreaded Alliance has done in the past and beat a hasty retreat.” He smiled again for her, and brought the hat down to side offering her a large leather skinned hand.

“Allow me to introduce myself, I am Soto Nabaal, formally and concurrently of the Independent Armed Forces still loyal to the Browncoat cause.” He then laughed, shrugging “And now a part of this worlds rich diversity, if not by choice than by fate. I thought I’d wander this away from the party to ask a moment of your time. You see I’m in desperate need to be on Hera for the anniversary of that most heinous day in our history, when the leaders of the Independent worlds did turn and run with tails between their legs from a war just waiting to be won.”

He narrowed his eyes.

“But upon on seeing such a young and thoughtful face, perhaps it isn’t my time or place to ask of you favour to speak on my behalf to your captain. Would seem to my tired old eyes you have something of a problem on your mind?” he leaned back slightly against one wall “Hope ya don’t mind me saying but, problems are best faced by a group, ain’t no better way to keep from getting out flanked by philosophical wanderings than to share...if you don’t mind me saying so Miss?”

TAG-Lu

Soto Nabaal
The Rim Will Rise Again!
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Kris » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:21 pm

Lu looked up from her strange plate of food and gave a half smile to the new comer: Soto. Moving her plate over to her left hand and placing the fork onto it, she extended her hand our to shake his. "Lucille Rap..." she stopped herself. Did she really want to keep that name? Shaking her head, she sighed, "Sorry about that, Lucille Rapson. Pilot of this here boat. Go by Lu though, sometimes Lucy."

Something specific caught her ear, "Did you say somethin' bout the anniversary?" She kept herself from showing noticible hurt in her heart at that moment when she tried to ignore the rest of what he said about her seeming to have a problem. "I'm sure I can talk with Kynthia and get you passage. You got any way of payin'?"

Somehow, she knew he wasn't gonna let off on what he was seeing in her, that she had things on her mind. Closing her eyes for a moment, she set her plate down, "Not sure how someone I've never met is seein' right through me. Just haven't been feelin' that great and dunno what is with me eating this, but it's good," she nodded towards her plate, "And I just lost someone. Actually, someone who fought in that same war. I'm sure we can get you to Hera with some pay."

Tag-Soto, anyone else listening.
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:06 am

"What's happening?" Ameri shook her head in confusion, but was at the same time grabbing a wheelchair. She helped him get settled. "He was... he seemed to be doing well, considering his condition. What were those pills he took?"

Helping Ameri get Nakali into the wheelchair, Tarra was bound and determined to keep her emotions out of this conversation and felt a small pricking in her nose. She blinked, pressing her eyelids down tight and after a few moments felt the feeling dissipate. After all of his searching for her, didn't she know him?

"He's..." Tarra searched for the right word and happened upon it as she let an involuntary sob out of her throat, "Afflicted." Swallowing it down again and mentally locking that box shut, she continued with a more remote tone. Looking at the watch on her wrist she said, "In about 16 minutes and counting, Nakali will have a seizure." Her shirt was pushed up all manner of everywhere and dark bruises marked her skin about her wrists to elbows and on her shoulder to her neck. They weren't minded by Tarra until she realized they were showing. "Sorry," she said self-consciously and shifted the material to once again cover them all.

~Tag Ameri / Anyone near Infirmary
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:40 pm

“Well all loose folk, sometimes by means beyond our control, but ya wait long enough time’ll do it quick as a bullet or a knife.” Soto mused, nodding “I might not know much about your young misters passing, but if he’s affected you this much he must have been a quite the man. And he fought for the right side, for that he’s got my respect and any Browncoat loyal to the cause. And I’m gonna give you some advice, same advice given to me when I was about your age, same as the advice I gave the kids they went and called soldiers.”

He coughed into one hand, before cocking his head back to speak.

“No one falls by the way, without being picked up by a friend and carried to the end. We do it on our shoulders, in our arms, and when they become so precious to us we carry them in our hearts until we get them to where their needed. Your husband’s in you, his memory and...soul, if you will, carried on until you reach the end of your road.” He smiled “First person to tell me that was my grand pa, that would be Soto Nabaal Senior to you and I, and I told that to this young bundle of nerves and tears carrying a rifle on Persephone 12 years back. And now, I’ve told you.”

“Oh, and I can pay, no fear of that Miss.” Nabaal continued, reaching into a pocket and working a small cloth pouch from it “Wouldn’t dream to become a burden on another without making sure compensation was due them.”

He undid the draw strings on the small pouch, and careful as he could tipped the pouch up and emptied its singular occupant out into the palm of his hand. It was a medal, a star shaped piece of silver imbedded with a single jade stone in its centre attached by a purple and gold ribbon set. Two silver bars banded the top of the ribbon, allowing it to be attached to the uniform of a worthy soldier.

The two bars were etched with one letter each, a V for valour, and a X for wounded in action.

They accompanied the Independent Medal of Honour very well.

“I ain’t got any use for a piece of tin like this...reckon it’s good for a one way shot to Hera.” He shrugged, slipping it back into the pouch and pocketed it and shrugged “Have days I wonder why we, the Indies, went and made up awards like that...seemed to me we needed to win more than to celebrate our few victories. But like I said if your Captain, Miss Talland that is, is willing to take this bauble in exchange I’d be...well more than grateful.”

TAG-Lu

Soto Nabaal
Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

Jake Sjet

Postby Kris » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:42 pm

Lu eyed the pieces that Soto had produced and raised an eyebrow. "Hopefully she will accept these as payment. We're heading there for the anniversary I believe anyway."

She picked up her food again and started to eat it and stopped, her stomach rejecting it this time as she whispered to herself, "Why did I get this again?"

Tag-Soto, anyone there
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Tavey » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:18 am

((OOC - it's been a week since I warned everyone I was moving things along. So I am going to do just that. If anyone has anything they feel needs to be added to the evening, please put it into the character Development area. I don't want to keep the new players waiting any longer to get onboard! :D ))

IC -

The evening flowed faster than any of them could imagine. Friendly voices filled the ship from one end to the other. Stories and eventually voices lifted in song ended the birthday party for Tarragon. The soft glow of low level lights spilled out of the cargo hold ramp. The ship radiated warmth, both physical and emotional.

By the time the last visitor to the ship had left, Kynthia was pleased to discover that the rest of the crew and passengers were back onboard. Each had made sure to let her know that they were around.

Alice Walker had come onboard to see Kynthia at one point. When she, and her sons left, they carried the comatose body of Rick Ryder with them. She'd had a quick look around earlier and spotted him. "He needs the rest. Body has been through too much. So we'll keep an eye on him. Make him comfortable. Let him work with Saul once he's up and moving." Was all she'd said.

Ky just watched another member of the crew leave with a sad sigh.

=========================

The morning dawned clear. Perfect day for a bit of final packing. Lu quietly approached Kynthia about the possibility of Nabal remaining onboard to Hera. Kynthia shrugged. "Tell you what. He can work his passage to Hera. Keep an eye on the engine and whatever else we need. Give back the medal to him. I ain't takin' that away from anyone."

TAG - Lu
TAG - Nabal

She began to check in with the members of the crew to make sure everyone was ready to get going. She wanted to leave by noon. They'd restocked as much fresh food as they could , and filled the fresh water tanks. Kynthia was dismayed to realise how little they had had left in there. She had bought as much fuel as they could afford. Stopping on Dyton would ensure that they were able to make it all the way to Hera would be good. She'd mapped out a series of smaller jumps to fill in the time and generate more work for them.

So, they'd be running parcels for the most part. They could stand to do that.

Finally, she found her way to the young lad, who was standing by the ramp looking in wistfully. She stood, leaning against the side, watching him.

"So." she said finally. "You coming or what?"

TAG - Bug

She grinned at his reply and headed back into the ship for final preparations before departure.

((OOC - wind 'er up folks!))

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Galifestus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:30 pm

He'd worked the rest of the party, doing his best. The little nap he'd had stood him up well until folks were leaving. He'd never been given to think he had a permanent place on the ship yet, and was beginning to think he might not by the time he made his way down the ramp into the dark village. He found a bench across the square and slid under it, keeping an eye on the firefly till he no longer could keep it open.

He awoke to early morning sun and the sound of the watering truck's engine as it pumped its load aboard the ship across the square. A fuel truck was just pulling away to be parked again in its shed back of Whitaker's general store. It looked a lot like things were winding up to the ship lifting pretty soon. Bug crawled out from under the bench and shook and patted himself mostly clean. He finished the job with a handful of water from a loose connection between the truck and its hose, giving him a sort of rusty smell, bug getting rid of most of the grime of the night's repose.

He watched as a few boxes were loaded aboard and found himself standing nearer and nearer the ramp. He was almost desperate enough to try sneaking aboard, but he just couldn't bring himself to do it. Not after the folks there had been so plum nice to him.

Finally, he saw the captain come to the top of the ramp. She stood, leaning against the side, watching him. He tried to keep his eyes averted, to be cool and all, but not very successfully.

"So." she said finally. "You coming or what?"

He lept into the air! He let out a whoop! And then he ran up into the ship without any clue what to do next. Then he remembered to be cool and came to a halt before Kynthia and asked, "What's my percentage?"

She grinned at his reply and headed back into the ship for final preparations before departure.

It would be settled later, and he didn't really care anyway. He was on a ship, and he would do all in his power to stay!
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Kris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Lu looked to Kynthia and nodded, "I'll let 'em know. And lemme know when you need me up to take us off this rock." She sighed a bit and walked off towards where Soto was waiting to hear the news. After meeting up with him in the cargo area, she held out her hand and dropped the medal into his hand.

"She said you can work your passage to Hera. Keep an eye on the engines and whatever else. She won't take that from ya. But you can stay."

Tag-Soto

After letting him know the news, Lu stopped as she was walking up a few of the stairs and then backtracked. Tarra had gotten her thinking at the party the night before. Shaking her head, a lot of what had been mentioned made some sense in her mind and she went off towards the infirmary.

Glancing inside, Ameri was no where to be found. "There have to be some somewhere," she whispered to herself and started to dig around, but not make things a mess.

Finally, pulling open one of the many drawers, she found what she was looking for. Taking a deep breath, she pulled it out and sighed, "may as well try it I suppose, can't hurt."

After a few minutes of hiding down in her cabin, trying to get herself to actually do what she had in mind, she came back out, still not sure if what she thought maybe true.

Going up to the bridge, Lu set what she'd taken from the infirmary on one of the side panels and sat down, checking over the controls and making sure everything was set. She hadn't been asked to, but figured it would be best to keep her mind off a few things right now.

(Leaving that open for Tarra, already planned)
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Jake Sjet » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:33 pm

“Well I don’t rightly know either...” Soto said, looking over at the plate Lu was holding. It looked interesting enough, and it surely didn’t look like protein and various long chain molecules dressed up to look like normal people food. Some of it even look like it had been grown in a open field under a sun.

“...But upon seeing such a feast I feel obliged to find me a plate and dig in. That’s Soto’s law numero 4, always eat when you get the chance.” He pulled the hat back on, tapping the brim with a hand and a nod of the head “Be seeing you Ma’am.”

Soto smiled and moved away from Lu, stepping back into the throng of people and headed in the general direction of the buffet table. An actual meal, even of finger foods, was a rarity for him. And he was not embarrassed to admit his stomach was making a odd growling noise all its own. Heck if he didn’t beat his gut to finding the rations he’d never live it down.

And he didn’t. The eating’s were good, the conversations memorable and ultimately forgettable, and for his last night on this pleasant sterile rock of secrets, Soto lived it up in style: he put his feet up on a coffee table in the lounge, pulled the brim of his hat down, and snored the night away, not knowing yet of his fate, his place on the Monarch, or the fate of his piece of useless tin.

Pease.

At.

Last.

TAG-Anyone

Soto Nabaal

Jake Sjet

Re: Silence is Golden - Early Morning JP

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:16 pm

**OOC - An early morning JP Between Nabaal and Tarra for a Breakfast of Champions**

Tarra passed a long, sleepless night, stealing as much time as she could with her family and avoiding as much as she could any probing questions. Today was a day of loss, and NONE of them needed to know it. As she entered the Kitchen area, ready to begin the morning breakfast and proverbial coffee fuel, she saw the gentleman who had been speaking with Lu the night (or was it this morning) laid out and comfortable in the Lounge. Clearing her throat gently, just to let him know someone was there, she began humming something from home and began to cheerfully start her day.

There was a startled runt of a snore interrupted, the hat and its sleeping head snapping up. It looked comical, a nose and bearded chin poking out from its long brim.

“Huh...What?” he grunted, a deep melodic voice from under the hat. He carefully brought a hand up, big and powerful fingers gripping the top of it and pulled it free of his coconut so he could look around. He spotted Tarra making her rounds about the kitchen. Instantly he was on his feet, stumbling with sleep still clawing at him.

“I’m sorry...Miss..er...” he patted his finger tips against his chest for a moment, the older man appearing quite embarrassed at being caught napping “I wasn’t...snoring by chance, cause if I was I surely didn’t mean it. Or ill by it.”

Tarra's face stayed in her easy smile, a mite less than usual, but nothing the new gent might notice. She shook her head kindly and said plainly, "Good morning, sir." She blushed a bit at having him so startled and met his eyes straight. "Didn't mean to surprise you, but I'm Tarragon Hunter, and I do some cooking aboard." She began with the coffee and as she fussed, said, "If you were doing anything but resting your eyes for a spell, I didn't notice."

"Oh well then...Miss Hunter." he smiled, slipping the hat back onto the table he made his way towards her. He was tall, long of limb and leg, the sort of person the term 'working man' was made for. His face was etched with a thousand lines, like the varnished surface of an aged wood carving. He held out a hand. "It’s a pleasure to meet you, allow me to introduce myself. Soto Nabaal, hopeful passenger on this pleasant little tin tub."

Wiping her hands down the front of her apron, her mouth twisted at the 'Miss' reference. Politeness was not just in HER vocabulary and she liked it right off. "Pleasure is mine, Mr. Nabaal. And although I can't speak for the Captain, I hope you'll be a passenger as well." Waving her arm behind her to the kitchen she said, "So, is there anything special I can get for you, sir?" She looked around at the empty room at an EARLY time of the morning. "You ARE the first here, and I aim to please."

"I have no doubt you deliver every time." Nabaal smiled and settled into one of the stools by the breakfast bar. He placed the hat in front of himself, squaring it away before looking at her. "Well...tis been a while since I had honest to God on High, coffee...with beans that saw the sun, and felt the earth between their roots. Stuff they got on Silence is a nasty, pasty thing..." He used one hand to idly turn the hat around "If you so happened to have a cup just lying around...well that'd be just fine Miss Hunter."

'Ah, a charmer,' she thought and hoped to hell he was more honest and straightforward than the OTHER one who had pulled this same stunt. "Coffee, I can do." She smiled easily at him. "Fresh, honest and sun-kissed. From right here to right there." She poured the freshly brewed liquid into a clean mug and pushed it in front of him. "Anything else I can get you, Mr. Nabaal?" She leaned in a little conspiratorially. "Like sugar perhaps?"

"You bring that stuff near this cup of darkened goodness, I might have to lie about where you've gotten to and why no one can find ya." He smiled, placing a hand over the cup. "As for anything else, I'm a soldier ma'am...or...was...and what ever you put in front of me, I'll eat it."

He picked up a knife, and gave it an experimental bite "Maybe not this mind you, but you get the idea."

Tarra backed up a bit and gave him a mock salute, taking the knife back and spinning it neatly before placing it in the sink. "I'm certain that I can find something back here to make for you." She considered for a moment and pulled out some leftovers from the night before. She also located some salt and pepper, and a couple of eggs that she managed to get from her Aunt. "Allergies at all? Or preferences? Although you might eat whatever I put in front of you, I'd rather you actually ENJOY it, sir."

"Got any MRE's?" he asked all of a sudden, cocking his head to one side before letting out a laugh "No just kidding ya. Back a life time ago, knew a private by the name of....awww hells bells what was that kid’s name...Tompton? Thom? Something with a Tee in it somewhere along the line, but he could take a...well she...."

He furrowed his brow, counting on his fingers.

"No no...no wait it was a twin set, Thom and Thompton the Tee Set Twins, that’s what they called themselves anyway. Well any who one of them, the low ranking private, could turn a card board MRE into a banquet with just a little pinch of something...but I really could go for some eggs, any way is fine."

Tarra's eyes sparkled at him and she enjoyed watching Mr. Nabaal working through his story all interweaving for a breakfast treat. "If you were in the army, sir, would you prefer that I address you by your rank? I don't like to offend." She began breakfast, cracking an egg in each hand like an old pro and placed them both in a small bowl, whipping them up to a fine froth and then placing it to the side. Her herbs would do well and a couple of the vegetables as well. "How about some meat with breakfast? I do have a bit I might be able to spare someone new aboard."

"Little Miss, no one is 'in the army', they are the army. A soldier rarely retires unless he does so with his boots on, a grimace on his face, and many a fine word for the purple cur that paid twelve of their own for the likes of him." He grinned "Reminds me of a fine tale, tall as it is a long and just as colourful...but I digress. I was a NonCom, thats a None Commissioned officer. Meant I worked for a living, unlike the officers who mostly went all quiet and bibbledy..."

He flicked his forefinger over his lips, making the universal sign and noise for those whom sanity had called in a rain cheque.

"And I'm not to sure your Miss Talland would appreciate me using up her supplies, after all I ain't got nothing to pay you with. Gave my last trade item to that Lu who's your pilot." he sighed "Now that ones got some shadows dancing at her heels like a pack of young pups just plucked from their momma's teat."

"Then, I won't address you as sir, Nabaal," Tarra said, pulling from her father's, taoyan, the General's teachings. "And I'll cover your meat on this run, after all, I've offered." Her sleeves, tightened and taut to her wrists stayed put as she reached beneath and pulled up a slab of bacon cut into pieces enough to serve at least one. "Wouldn't seem neighbourly NOT to keep to my offer, now would it?" Her head cocked to one side and left the meat, fresh and ready for cooking, with the right amount of fat that would crisp enough to melt in one's mouth.

Nabaal didn't answer. His cool grey eyes were locked on the slab of bacon, cold, moist, glistening and with just the right amount of trim...how long had it ben? A month? A year? Longer still since he'd had real, honest to God meat that had once upon a time made funny noises?

"I'm...sorry Miss..." he said, slowly, looking back at her face "You said something? KInda zoned out there for a time."

"Uh, that's an answer made in Heaven for a Chef, Nabaal." Turning from him to get a pan from her wall, Tarra spun it artistically and placed it properly on the stove top. Placing her items before her in an easy manner, she began to heat the pan, and also prepare the fillings for the omelette she intended on making. "And please, call me Tarra."

"I couldn't rightly do that." Nabaal admitted, taking a sip from his cup "Oh Buddha...that’s good coffee...but as I was saying, the Alliance might well have taken my freedom, possibly one day of my life, but as a Rimworld gentleman the Ali's will not take my principals. A lady is lady, and unless she's a relation she'll remain that way...Miss Hunter."

Tarra nodded, accepting his politeness and her present title. "If that's the way you want it, but you'll be the only one calling me such, sir." She punctuated HIS title, reverting back to something a little more formal. She didn't wish to show any disrespect. She began the cooking process, showing a care and consideration for the food she made as if it were for a member of her family. She looked at him enjoying the coffee, hands wrapped around the mug like she was fixin' to take it from him. And the smells she brought forth from the pan, wafted gently around them like a drifting cloud. As he sat, she began preparing the Crew's food at large with a slow and steady hand. "More coffee while you're waiting?"

He looked into the cup and smiled "If you'd be so kind Miss Hunter, you do know a thing or two about the fine arts of a man’s desires: his gut. Not many folk know that, but you do I reckon."

"So do you mind if I ask what brings a fine, cultured lady like yourself to be a cook on a boat like this? Seems to me you've been trained, or given a gift by God, to do greater things than cook for an old and tired war horse like me?"

Tarra had grown a mite since she had heard such compliments issue forth from a man's lips and smiled just so, with the right amount of modesty. It was a part she played, and kept it light. "Oh, I'm not sure of all that at all," and a remembered blush kept itself upon her cheek, keeping her flushed looking from cooking or words, it wasn't quite certain. "Folks have got to eat all OVER the 'Verse, and cooking is what I do. Some training and some calling mixed together in a person such as myself." She touched his leathery hand gently as she poured a bit more coffee in his mug. "I have a bit of wanderlust, so I get by doing what I can for people that need it." And she smiled gently at Nabaal, using HER charms. "Tired and old are relative, and for me, you're neither."

She had served his eggs, perfectly folded and the bacon, crisped just right as she spoke and pulled out cutlery to lay it beside his plate.

Nabaal looked down, plucking up his knife and fork and did a fine impression of someone eating their breakfast and NOT blushing at a compliment. It was the food, just a tad too warm to be comfortable is all. "Ah, well Miss Hunter you just wait till to winter, then see what old Man Frost does to my knee." he laughed, spearing a strip of bacon with his fork "Never knew anyone with wander lust who didn't end planting themselves in one spot like a rooting plant come spring...how long you been roving?"

Well, Tarra was surprised that it had worked so well and kept that little tidbit in her bag of tricks she was piling up. A tool box that never opened couldn't be considered worth calling a tool box. "Winter in space? How does that work with your knee?" Her answers could wait, she would much rather hear about him. Take her mind off of things around the ship.

"Well if you come around this side of the bar, I'll show you how winter in space affect my knee." he laughed, and threw up his right foot onto the breakfast bar, having to lean back to not topple off his stool. With the practiced grace of a stage illusionist, he tugged back the cuf of his sunday finest pants, to reveal a ankle and lower leg of the wrong colour, size, and elemental group to be considered human. The artificial limb was a humming ceramic and steel shaft with monomer cables taking the place of muscles here and there, all of it look slicking and alien but baring a tiny little copyright logo along its length.

"I was spending a penny in a fox hole on Alberta." he explained, taking the foot down "Put my foot in the wrong place and stepped on a land mine. Nasty little critter chewed my leg up pretty good. Thankfully it was winter, so I was too cold to go into shock. I just remembered thinking 'I just wore in those damn boots' over and over again. It aches every now and then, about the same time I do something dumb and feel I should kick myself."

He grinned and held up his coffee cup "Soldier humor, it's ...an odd flavoured thing. To your health and mine Miss Hunter." He saluted and tipped both his head, and the cup back.

Tarra leaned over and saw the old soldier's war wound and replacement foot. She looked up at him, a respect already there now flowed slightly from her, a little piece of honest feeling that she didn't dare stray out too long. "Well, balance in all things makes a leg a necessity," said Tarra and pulled up a mug of her own. "To your health, sir. And a hearty welcome at least to the Monarch's breakfast." She pulled up a chair behind the counter and watched him eat. It did her heart good to watch someone appreciate her food.

"And it is indeed a hearty welcome." he smiled, stirring a fork into the eggs as he took a bite "My word ,I'll say it again, you got a gift in your hands when it comes to cooking."

And then he talked to her as he ate, not overly so as to be considered a rambling fool, just little snips of old stories. The time he'd been shot in the rump by a farm hand with a gopher rifle, and a peculiar incident involving a a commanding officers chin warmer which had been shaved off as a prank. His stories were light, focusing on the good times. He remembered old friends, departed as they surely were, in the light of their achievements and not their endings. Sally and that time she ran across a street laced with cross fire to save a gorram kitten she called Pockets, "Cause it went and fit in her pocket like so.", to the first time he'd met a Companion.

"Most interesting sight that," he said as he finished off the eggs "There we are, in the middle of this blown up field which God knows how many unexploded shells lying to and fro, and this Companion asks myself and my Alliance counterpart to join her for tea in the middle. Well, it'd be impolite not to take up the request and the chance to snag some supplies. So for a nice day in a field on Alberta I sit, have myself a fine and dainty cup of tea with a Companion and a General Loveless of the Alliance 2nd Mechanised."

He shook his head "To this day I never understood it..." he looked to Tarra, holding up a hand with his forefinger and thumb touching, his other fingers splayed out "How a man was meant to hold one of those tea cups and not snap it in to. Gone driven me plain loco some times Miss Hunter."

Tarra's face clouded over only slightly as she listened and only as his head dipped to eat and not keep an eye on her face. Someone who was full of stories, good stories with great fun and a point of memory, like opening a man's diary in his head and taking his favourite pages out for a run. She chuckled a bit as his humourous bits were related, smiled widely and nodded, and leaned forward as he warmed to each topic with equal relish. And the final visual, holding a tea cup... A true laugh of brief proportions bubbled up from her best self and touched the room briefly. "I know, sometimes tea is just meant to be drunk out of a canteen. But," she shrugged, remembering her time on Sihnon, "There is a ritual of sorts so I hear. And THOSE cups don't have handles."

"Never was one for rituals...well some anyway, not all." he looked at the empty plate, and the cup. "And see, there's another ritual all done. Thank you Miss Hunter for a finely crafted meal I most certainly enjoyed." He smiled broadly at her.

"You're most welcome," said Tarra honestly. "It has been a true pleasure to see someone enjoy something so hearfelt in quite a while." She topped up his mug once more. "I'm glad to have been able to cook for you this morning." She had prepared the biscuits and placed them in the oven for baking. "If you DO come with us, it will be a refreshing thing indeed." She turned from him, trying to keep a brush of sadness from her voice and manner and reached up to the cupboard for a special addition. She pulled down a bit more coffee from the cupboard and handed it to him. "If you leave today, then you'll have at least a few cups from this, and if you stay, then I'll brew it for you tomorrow."

"Then you best be holding onto it. I intend to stay, if your Miss Talland will let me, that is. Got me some pressing business on Hera I'm in need to attend to." Nabaal stated with a smile, pushing back on the tin. "Besides I wouldn't do it justice."

Tarra sighed audibly and thought that Hera was going to be a bit much for her to handle. She personally had no dealings with it, and now everyone around her seemed to need to be somewhere she just happened to be heading. Almost like she was a part of a parade that was already in progress. To cover she smiled and said, "Don't ever think that appreciatin' something ain't doing it justice." And she pushed the tin right back. "You're heading for Hera, and you most like will need to toast some old friends." She tapped the top of the tin. "This AIN'T Blue Sun, it's Independent. Seems rather appropriate for a non-alcoholic toast for 'em." A strange feeling welled up and she stopped it before it went anywhere at all. "I would be honoured for you to take it; do what you will. Consider it something to show my respect for those that had passed on."

He smiled, taking the pot and then her hand. It wasn't a pawing, dirty gesture, or possessive, merely a comforting presence. "In my experience, no one passes on. We all just get carried around by those that know us. It’s why I tell my stories of Sally, the Twins and the Fighting 51st...so no one goes and forgets us completely." he laughed, looking away to some point beyond the ships hull. "Time enough for that when it comes, but that ain't gonna be for a good few miles of the road. Besides, might stick around after Hera...do some traveling, try and get the Brownies back into action and remind the Ali's we're still here."

Tarra knew that that was a faint hope and that Soto Nabaal felt that he wasn't going any futher than Hera. And THIS kind of lie she could humour, and embellish and encourage.

"Old soldiers never die, Soto Nabaal," Serena said from a place deep inside and realized that she had almost overstepped her bounds. "You have every right and reason to lead the Brownies against the Ali's. And give 'em hell." She raised her mug of coffee and clinked it against his. "To those that are here in spirit."

"And to those that still walk the walk." He nodded in satisfaction, clinking the coffee mug in his gnarled hand, putting the cup slowly down. "Well, guess I best go and find Miss Talland and see what she has to say on my request to ship out with you fine folk."

"Nice to have made your acquaintance, sir." She took the emptied mug and held it as she stood slowly. "Yes, Captain will be the best one to speak with. Until lunch then," Tarra said and saluted him.

Nabaal grinned and with what looked like automatic muscle memory pulled himself up to his full height, back as straight as a board and snapped by a geometrically perfect salute his boot heels clicking together as he came out of it.

"I was a Gunny, and somehow you made me snap to like a grunt on his first day." he grinned at her, turning towards the bridge "Until lunch Miss Hunter, till lunch..."

~Tag any in Kitchen / Lounge
USS Legacy
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

The All-Father wove the skein of your life a long time ago. Go and hide in a hole if you wish, but you won't live one instant longer. Your fate is fixed. Fear profits a man nothing. - The 13th Warrior
KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Kynthia pulled everyone into the main lounge just before noon. She sat at the end of the table, in Maverick's old chair. It felt strange, but would underline that she was indeed taking on the ship. She wondered when she would stop feeling like an interloper, a fraud. A missing-memoried woman pretending to be able to hold it together. the thoughts she kept to herself made a wry smile cross her face as she sipped her coffee.

It was odd to look around and see so many faces that were new. Yet, so many that were still there, reliable, comforting.

"We are on our way to Dyton. Settin' down near Cadmus to pick up a passenger. We shouldn't run into Badger or Ferret there. We're making way to Hera. 'Tis time for the 'coats to come together again. Celebrate and mourn. Any as got a problem with that, best you leave the ship on Dyton." She paused to let that sink in.

"We're making several short trips on our way to the Tenth. Going to be ferrying parcels mostly. Some folk I daresay. Know this, there are gonna be a lot of questions about Maverick. Answer them in truth. He's retired. But we can't tell where this planet is. It ain't on any maps, not even like Miranda was a myth. This place and leviathan don't exist."

She looked them all over, carefully. Sam, Lu, Ameri. The three of them onboard such a long time now. Lu was holding some kind of secret, but Ky knew she'd speak up soon enough. Ameri she wanted to be the lighthearted youngster again that she should be. Sam, one who knew so many of the secrets of this ship. Bug, so full of excitement he was almost twitching in his skin. Nakali, bundled up to protect his new skin and still looking a bit pale around the eyes. Whatever the process had been to heal him so fast, Kynthia really didn't want to know. Soto, still and taciturn. His eyes a bit too deep and wary to be anything other than a Browncoat. Tarragon, looking like she had been given such a gift on the planet with her family. Jandie too had made her way to the group.

Between them, Kynthia hoped to keep the ship flying.

"We're dusting off in one hour. Anyone needs to make some goodbyes, make them now. 'Tis going to be hard burn all the way to Dyton to get there in a timely fashion."

She smiled then at them all. "Don't know bout you, I can't wait to get into the Black and back on course myself. One hour. I ain't waiting for anyone, so don't be late getting back."

TAG - all

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:00 pm

Sitting at the table, Taaragon stayed in the background, as usual. Sitting apart from them all, she felt a little less out of sorts than she had for a while and really looked forward to the distractions of the Black as well. She wanted to be a bit more involved in the regular running of the ship, and a little less in the kitchen. Her dreams of becoming a full-fledged Chef were almost completely gone.

And now, mixed feelings sat in Tarra's gut about Silence; family and those that they had left behind.

After the impromptu party, her family stayed awake as long as they could, and she let them go at around 3:30 am, so they weren't expected to come say goodbye. They had paid their respects the night before and everything that needed to be said was said. She had received a few choice presents, some clothes, recipes, some money...

Once Kynthia had finished speaking her piece in the Lounge, she stood to finish up with the cleaning and all in the Kitchen. After all, the excess foodstuffs that the villagers had brought and left were packed away, and she had already prepped the lunch and dinner coming for the day, Tarra had the opportunity to take the cash and quickly move to the Infirmary, a short run from the Monarch.

One hour would be plenty of time...

Tag anyone leaving the ship / Any who wants to notice
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:27 pm

Nakali was on his feet first, the world rolling like a trio of cherries on a slot machine being his reward for the movement, and steadied himself on the long table for a long moment still. This gave Nabaal all the time in the verse to saunter slowly towards Ky, the medal pouch handed back to him by Lu burning in a pocket.

For one his demand would be a simple request.

For the other his demand would a humbling diatribe on the worth of a day.

“Now, Captain Talland?” Soto spoke up, plucking the hat off his head once more as he harmonically pure voice spoke out “I wondering if by chance I could borrow a moment of your time?”

“Same goes for me.” Nakali shot in, staggering to a stop, resting himself against the back of a chair as he smiled through a monotone face of bright baby pink skin and old. Soto turned on the younger man, favouring him with a slight smile before holding up a hand.

“Now Son, I’m all for you having your say in matters, but not to sound petty I was here first.” He shrugged apologetically and turned back to the captain, holding up the pouch “Now about this business of not taking payment when its due, but my cash is just as good as the city slick here. Jade’s good for a few notes, silvers probably worth something, sure there’s a collector out on the Cortex that’d take it off your hands for a pretty penny.”

“You might have been there first but some of us want our say before the end of time rolls around.” Nakali squeezed in, smiling as Ky with a ‘I know he’s old, poor thing’ roll of his eyes “Look I just wanted to let you know, if it’s okay with you, I want to use up a good sized chunk of the Monarchs cortex bandwidth...say...a good...”

He looked at the ceiling for a second, mumbling numbers to himself.

“Son when I was your age, back when man rode dinosaurs I imagine, we knew the respect for our betters and elders.” He dipped his head to Ky “Not saying your old, ma’am, just making my point clear. I don’t expect no charity from folk cause the Verse has gone made my hair gone grey, blame the nice folks that look fit to tell a man how to live his life for each strand of the grey. So I expect you to take my payment for this trip, and I doubt I’ll take a negative response in kind Ma’am.”

“Say 70-78% of the total available cortex feed, and hey cave man when you’re done seducing the captain with your Southern charm, I’m sure we can find you some cows to tussle with or something.” Nakali interjected “Look, Cap’n Ky isn’t it, i’ll only be using it for a bit and you’ll hardly notice. Just need to ask you to not use the com for a time.”

“Now wait a dog darn minute!” Nabaal turned on the younger man “That is not way to talk to a lady! To be the boss of a ship like this, takes a special breed of steel in the soul! Ask kindly, be humble and ever thankful.”

“And I am, if that’s the last holo-novel cliché you’ll be spouting.” Nakali rolled his eyes.

TAG-Ky and anyone else in the dining room.

Nakali
Nabaal

Jake Sjet

Postby Kris » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Lu left the lounge and went off to sit alone. She hadn't dared to look at the test yet; she was to nervous. Sitting down opposite the open cargo hold doors, she stared out at the landscape. If this came back one way, she wouldn't have to worry and would know it was all stress. On the other hand, if it came back the other, what was she going to do? She couldn't continue to pilot, at least not later. She'd be useless on the ship...

Barely looking up from what was sitting in her hand, she felt someone trip over her and saw that same person trip behind her. Lu too had fallen back a bit when she was tripped over. "Tarra? Where are you going in such a hurry?"

Tag-Tarra
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Sam Crerar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:27 pm

"And if the two of you boneheads don't stop fighting, I'm going to beat the both of you and the turn to speak to the Captain will be decided by who's jaw heals faster." Sam barked at Nakali and Soto. She stood up and headed to the fridge to grab a can of food for cat, who was mewling around her feet.
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Silence is Golden - JP Lu and Tarra - Discovery

Postby KendleRJ » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:07 pm

**OOC - JP between Lu and Tarra**

Stopped up a little short and counting the money in her hand, Tarra was aware that her feet met something and suddenly realized that it was Lu. Blinking a bit in surprise, she answered the question, "Infirmary in town." Placing the money back in her pocket she looked a little remote. "I have a couple of things to do before we take off."

Lu smiled a bit, "Ah, that sounds like fun...getting out and all." It was more than obvious that she was just a little distracted. "I may see if I want to go out after..." She held up what was hiding in her hand. "I can't look at it. I don't know why."

Tarra held up, seeing Lu was in more need, and could wait a spell before heading to town. She was thankful that her family wasn't there; it would have been a more difficult decision than it was right at this moment.

"So, what are you waiting for?" Tarra smiled, sitting down beside Lu. "Do you think that's going to change what it says?" Putting an arm around her shoulders, Tarra said, "Did you need me to be here, or did you want to see it alone?"

Lu sighed and closed her eyes, "I think I need someone here. If it comes back one way...I may be out of commission in a few months. And it's going to be so hard...especially without him here anymore." She opened her eyes and looked to Tarra. "I can't do it alone."

Tarra tried to stop the arm's length emotional response, meant to protect her own heart from the pain. But this pain, the anguish that they shared with the loss of Chris seeped out and into her heart as she weighed the consequences.

Breathing deeply, her voice was calm and strong and she said, "No matter what happens, Lu, you have the support of the whole ship to help. And please don't ever think for one moment that you're alone." Tears gathered in her eyes, not falling but trying hard to cloud her vision and she blinked them away quickly.

Taking a deep breath, Lu opened up her hand fully and choked back her own tears. "I'm glad I'm not alone. I've felt that way since he died." She looked to her hand and wasn't able to choke back the tears anymore as she showed it to Tarra.

"Not alone anymore, on the Monarch, or as a Rapson," said Tarra, glad to be able to share a joyful moment amidst all of the loss around them. "So, there's a part of Chris that will never truly be lost, Mrs. Lucille Rapson."

Her voice broke and arms encircled Lu gently. "Now, it seems to me that you have some news to share." Tarra held back her heaving sobs as she tapped into her own pain and slammed down the wall between her emotions and the outside. "And some choices to make."

Lu let the tears flow as she sighed, "Not alone anymore...I'm glad." She pulled away from Tarra's hug slowly with a small smile on her face, "What do you mean choices?"

Considering her next words carefully as she pulled her pain back into herself and pushed the joy to the forefront, Tarra smiled gently at Lu as well. "Well, not sure really, but perhaps what to do while you're carrying and then, as you get closer. Mind, I always think so far ahead... And of course, what you might want to call the new life comin' into the 'Verse."

Lu chuckled, "I suppose so." She wiped away some tears. "I had better let some others know, most likely Kynthia. I'll let you go on about your business and I'll find her." She smiled more, "And thanks for not having me to do this alone."

Tarra smiled back, tears drying quickly on her face and threatening to start again before she turned away. "Lu, if it wasn't me, it would have been one of your other friends on board the Monarch." She stood, waiting for Lu to head back into the ship before turning back to her own errands.

~Tag Any
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:15 am

Kynthia listened to them both with a look on her face that became more and more puzzled as time went on. The men arguing back and forth made her head reel slightly. Her eyes flickered back and forth between them both.

“Gents” she began, trying to get a word inbetween them both. She was unheard. “Hey.” she said a moment later, a little louder.

Sam was watching them too. Then shook her head. "And if the two of you boneheads don't stop fighting, I'm going to beat the both of you and the turn to speak to the Captain will be decided by who's jaw heals faster." She barked at Nakali and Soto. She stood up and headed to the fridge to grab a can of food for cat, who was mewling around her feet.

Finally Kynthia slammed the palm of her hand on the table. She glared at the men standing before her. The dish in front of her rattled slightly. “SHUT THE GORRAM HELL UP!”

She settled back into her seat, irritation creasing her face.

“You.” she snapped, pointing at Nakali. “Are not getting Cortex time before we take off. Nobody does. No compromisin’ the safety of the crew over you needin’ to talk or look up fancy wotnots on the Cortex. You can have time when we’re out in the black. Not sooner.”

She raised her hand at his immediate protest. “An’ I ain’t Cap’n Ky to you. ‘Tis simply Kynthia, or Cap’n Talland should you be needin’ to be all formal and stiff like. Not afore dust off. Since there are a lot of going wrong type things that happen around then and all.”

She turned her head to Soto. “An’ you. I set my terms. You help me out with the engine some until I get a new mechanic. You get passage to Hera and the Tenth. You gave up a lot for that.” she nodded towards the pouch. “I ain’t about to take it away. I can find enough ways for you to be working your passage.”

She rubbed the edge of the scar that peeked out from under her freshly hacked - at - with - a - knife hair. It was beginning to pain her again.

TAGs.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby KendleRJ » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Time. The ever-marching soldier, the thief, the ENEMY. It had been described in all manner of metaphors and the latter was the most appropriate one for Tarragon Hunter as she disembarked the Monarch and headed to the Infirmary on Silence, one last time. Her running feet were for an altogether different reason this trip; one that did NOT involve a newcomer, a seizure or retrieval of someone to be returned aboard her home.

Although that was indirectly ONE of her reasons for going, the main one lay on a stretcher in the central area, face drawn, eyes closed and breathing shallow. The former Captain of the boat, the one before Maverick had taken her over, was stretched out and being fussed over by Alice Walker and her boys. As she saw Tarra approach she waved her on and encouraged her to draw nearer.

A shiver ran through Tarragon, one that reached from the tip of her toes and ran clear up to the top of her head as she remembered his arms around her, his lips on hers and his words that hadn't failed to fan the flames of her heart. And here he was, unmoving and failing, and she knew that for him to heal, she would have to let him go. She grasped Rick's hand then, gently closing her fingers around it and leaned forward over his head. They had cleaned him some; his blood-stained shirt and clothing were removed and lay in a pile ready for disposal. A smell of soap and hospital care wafted up to assault her senses, and she strove to find the unique aroma that she had associated with him.

Pressing her lips gently but firmly to his forehead, she closed her eyes against the rising tide of tears, unbidden and heartfelt and sucked in one breath filled with her past emotions, the sadness of its passing and her remembered scent of him. She whispered against his skin, something poetic, or something loving, no one could tell. And an instant after, it was done. Wiping her face she turned from him, heart sealing shut from this ending and she closed the chapter of their potential future and sealed it with her kiss.

Turning to Alice, she reached deep into her pocket and said, "I have the next installment for payment for the man from the Monarch. We checked him out last night, and I didn't want anyone to think I wasn't going to make good on my promise." The voice cracked only once, and Alice was unsure if it was for the one man present or the other man departed but it mattered little to her next statement. "Saul Armstrong has personally paid for the healing and recovery of anyone from the Monarch."

Tarra's face was incredulous as Alice held up her hand and loosed the chain and her medallion intact from her palm, keeping it dangling from her fingers as she awaited Tarra's reaction. There was a moment of shock, and then appreciation spread across her face; Alice watched a cloud lift from her features and was glad to have been the one to deliver the news. Opening the clasp, she swung the necklace cleanly about Tarra's throat, and let it rest beneath her shirt, taking its rightful place along the thin missing part of the bruise upon her neck.

"Now, Serena, if there ain't nothing else..." Tarra wrapped her arms around Alice and squeezed gently but with great appreciation. She had been granted a reprieve from an almost certain lifelong debt for someone for whom she had assumed responsiblity. But there was one more nagging item in her head as she stood there in the Infirmary, remembering Nakali's stilted words at the end of his near-waking seizure. She didn't know if he had ever heard them before; if anyone had ever shared the knowledge of them with him; and with only 15 minutes gone from her time, she felt a magnanimous spirit about her and asked about using a data term.

"All manner of secure in here, but of course, available to Tyrell's niece," Alice walked her through to an office out of the way, empty and remote, and gave Tarra a bit of a rundown of the protocols and all. And the one thing that Tarra knew above all else, was that waving from one non-existent world to another was all manner of encrypted, secure and of course, guaranteed. She nodded once and waited until she was sealed in tight before beginning the long, complicated series of numbers that would bring up the face that they had left only a couple of days ago, but it seemed like an age.

Connection this close wasn't that long a wait, but the series of clicks, whines and confirmation codes were staggering. And at the end of it all, like a cookie reward for completing a job well done, a face appeared in the viewer that was ravaged by more than time, but touched with an inner peace and beatific smile. Tarra let her guard down, knowing full well that the man before her had peered into her soul and would not allow her to shy away from him. After all, it was his job. Or in the words of his Faith, his Calling.

"Shepherd," said Tarra, tears standing in her eyes from her jumble of emotings. "How is it on Leviathan?"

~Tag Chuy
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Checking up and Checking In - JP with Chuy and Tarra

Postby KendleRJ » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:56 pm

"Shepherd," said Tarra, tears standing in her eyes from her jumble of emotions. "How is it on Leviathan?"

He smiled a warm smile, but his head tilted in a little nod of reproof, “I’m not sure where you mean, my child. How are things on the old ship?””

She smiled, a little sadly at missing the Reverend, thinking of Kynthia and her own losses, and their newly found gain with Ameri. “We’re settling in all right I expect. We’d had a few bumps along the way, but certainly nothing we couldn’t manage to handle.” She thought back to Nakali, almost dying in the Cargo Bay and she shunted it to her memory, far enough away so that she didn’t have to consider how she might have felt then, or how she might even feel about it now. And she wanted to share the news, the happy news she could now. “And we’re going to welcome a new life aboard as well. Mrs. Rapson is expecting.”

“Ah. I almost thought as much.”

They spoke a bit about all things happening, and Tarra, although polite and all smiled through their exchange, she was looking at the time ticking away and realized that she would have to press. “Reverend,” she said plainly. “I’m afraid that I can contact you more about catch up later, but I was hoping you could help me out with a few things.”

The man answered only with a raised eyebrow.

She typed in the phrase she heard from Nakali in the storage cupboard, and at the memory, she turned away from the screen, trying to hide her face with a pained expression that moved across it like a cloud. "Deus servo totus quisnam supplex procul muto."

He recognized it as a simple sermon ending phrase from some of the more well-to-do Core-related churches, the sort where the rich rub shoulders with the richer. But nothing further came to mind.

“Anything else you could tell me about it would be greatly appreciated; is it associated with any one sect, or is it just…” Rich? Had she been more involved in attending Church regularly, she might have recognized it.

And then questions about Luci Thedora, details already gathered but received in better format.

Finally hoping that he could provide her with any details, there was no recorded information about her death or present whereabouts, but there was a date of release of a sort. Finally, she requested shipping manifests and any other details she could receive in or around that timeframe…

With only a few minutes to spare, her flimsy was complete. All the data upon it seemed to meet her needs and she stuffed it safely inside of her shirt. This would be protecting it from prying eyes and resolved to give it to Nakali; last piece of their puzzle she suspected as a strange expression crossed her face.

“Thanks so much for everything, Reverend,” Tarra’s emotions slid back into place and she smiled, tears drying quickly and voice strong and true. “I’ll send your regards to the Monarch next time. This one’s more… personal.”

“Go with God, Mei Mei.”

Tarra stared at the blank screen for a few moments, waiting for the protocols to clear from the data term's memory banks and then pulled herself together, finally bursting out of the Infirmary. She thanked Alice and ran quickly past the doors and out into the sun. The Monarch was close but not close enough, so Tarra pushed herself running to reach the ship and get aboard before she took off without her.
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:12 pm

Kynthia checked to make sure who was onboard. She and Sam had secured the cargo, double checked who it was to be delivered to and ensured that it wasn't obvious what was in there. Now they were waiting on Tarragon.

Finally Kynthia spotted her running across the field to the ship. She muttered quietly "Nowt like leavin' it to the last moment lassy. Didn't Nakali Crispy-bones not teach you a thing about that?" She turned to Lu and nodded.

"Sam is down in hold. She'll yell up to let us know when the door is closed. Dust off. Dyton, full speed ahead, ot whatever it is that Captains say in moments like this that is witty and full of the right purpose."

Kynthia's voice trailed off. There was a figure standing on the very edge of the field. Someone wearing a long black coat and a hat pulled down low on it's head. For a long moment, it was as if their eyes met across the distance. Then Kynthia turned away from the window. Maverick could stand there and watch The Monarch leave. She was ready to move on, not think to what might have been.

"Closed!" echoed Sam's voice from deep in the ship.

And with a swoosh of dust that curled around her engines, The Monarch lifted into the sky, on her way to the next part of her journey.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Previous

Return to Firefly: Monarch