[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
SLA Ten Forward • View topic - Spider's Web

Spider's Web

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Re: Spider's Web

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:30 pm

"Something light maybe? An orange? I dunno... we don't have any no-dose." Sam replied, closing her eyes for a moment. Not that caffeine would help her state at this point.
Image Image
Samantha "Sam the Knife" Crerar
Gunner, thug and murderer
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:38 pm

"Oranges." Her mind went back to where they came from and their last use before she looked once again at Sam. "You got it boss."

Tarra picked herself up, glad to be moving but not to be away from him in case he began the seizures she had witnessed, so her feet carried her quick to the Kitchen, grabbed a little bit of everything, including the clear broth and a small hunk of her fresh-made bread and ran back as quick as she could. She also brought more ice to cool the soup down and popped a piece of it into the cup-bowl as she sat back down.

Tarra pulled over a flat surface and used it as a makeshift table. Using a towel she had brought from the kitchen with her as a pseudo-placemat, she laid out the small feast before them and placed the oranges front and centre. "A little bit of everything for her Majesty." A piece of ice still sat in her hand and she leaned over and slid it into the water beside Nakali's feet. Every little bit should help, she hoped.

~Tag
USS Legacy
Ensign Navkiran Khangura - Engineering
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Sam chuckled, "Thank you." She took an orange and started peeling it as she looked over the other food. Her stomach was still aching from the heat exhaustion, although she'd be better if she wasn't still pushing herself. "How're you feeling?" She asked, looking up at Tarra.
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:06 pm

Her eyes were clear and she felt a little out of sorts from what she had found. Her head turned to Nakali; she thought she had heard him stir. How long had she been in the kitchen? Had she run fast enough? The IV was as good an excuse as any and she stood, distancing herself a little from Sam as she checked the feed again on him, seeing nothing pass across his face. Turning back, she checked Sam's line as well and noted that it too was still fine.

"Isn't that really a question I should be asking you?" Tarra's face was strained, and she seemed a bit distracted. After all, she was sharing a burden that had been borne alone for close to 10 years... She sat, going through everything she had found and still tried to piece it all together as the smell of orange peel stung her nostrils. Her stomach roiled and she swallowed reflexively.

Absent-mindedly she waved her hand dismissively. "I didn't fry in the heat on the surface of Hell, nor try to beat a woman who really deserved it to the brink of death." Smiling a little un-Tarra-like she said, "I'm good."
USS Legacy
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:09 pm

"True, but you look like something's bothering you. Maybe it's just my imagination..." Sam shrugged, then started eating the orange. "And I'm fine, just a little toasted."
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:27 pm

Bothering her. Understatement of the 'Verse at this point. She felt that she had been put through a wringer backwards with no room to spare and enough twisted insides to make her heart ache. She tried to keep her face passive, tried like hell to say nothing leading, but knew that Sam, as his caregiver and her friend would need to know. But how to begin?

'Well,' she might start, 'I just made a horrible discovery while I was going through Nakali's private stuff. Did NOT really mean to just sort of happened that way. You know how it is... trying to get someone's personal effects ready in case of maker-meeting when something bizaar intervenes and causes no end of strange coincidences and...' It was NOT a place to be flippant, but if she was not, she was afraid of... She shook her head resolutely. JUST AFRAID.

"Um, probably your imagination," Tarra said, voice suddenly thick and she stopped speaking all together. She moved, rattle in her pocket a sudden reminder of everything she had seen in the privacy of his bunk and felt somehow exposed, like she had taken a part of him. "Just thinking about things is all." And her breath felt like it was being pushed out of her throat like a harsh, airy sob.

She turned again to Sam, looking smaller and redder and tired. "I'll stay with you to watch, do what you need so you don't have to worry." She pulled Sam's blanket a little more closed and touched her warm cheek gently. "You can catch some shut eye and I'll wake you if something changes."
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Tavey » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:28 pm

Kynthia waited until the knotted muscles had begun to relax along Ameri's arm.

"mei mei, I got to go and talk some to Maverick. Something needs sorting out." She said quietly.

TAG - Ameri.

"Call me if you need help with anything." she called as she left the infirmary.

Within moments, she had found her quarry. Maverick had already begun to retreat into his cabin by the time she caught up with him and grabbed his arm.

"it's time." she said tightly. He shook his head, not wanting to speak to her of the ship.

"No Maverick. The Old Girl is my home. An' the home of all these folk on her. It's time. Now. It ain't right you not bein' honest with us all."

Together they made their way to one of the shuttles. Sitting opposite each other on the seats, the distance between them was obvious. The change in how they saw each other clear in how they didn't really face each other, legs crossed away and eyes sliding past when they met. Seemed they often came into one of them when hard things needed saying. Kynthia remembered the last time they had done so. The revelation that she had tried to kill this man had been spoken of then. At that time it had torn her apart. This revelation wouldn't be so harsh it seemed. Ever since she had been to Belladonna, something had shifted in her soul. Something that could look to a time in the stars alone, and not be afraid of it.

"Time for me to rest." He said, leaning his arms on his legs and his head into his hands. "I don't want this anymore Kynthia. Thought the stars were the place to go again. Pay back my debt. But then Selene came back. It all changed. I thought you.. and me.. we'd..."

"I know." she broke in gently. "I know. That we'd fly together. I thought it too. So did Selene. She called me mother for a time you know. Like she'd decided for us what was to be." Her voice was remarkably steady. Considering that this was the end of it all. The moment when she found out if she was going to be able to keep her home. Of if Maverick was even going to say the words that had hung between them for so long without utterance.

"Listen. Sam and me.. we want to buy the ship." She said finally, in a hurry. Maverick, Saul, drew his head up sharply. His eyes unreadable in a face that was suddenly stern.

"We both know Mav. I can't stay on some planet and be the housewife. Raise chickens and bake pies. That ain't for me. Ain't what you want for me neither." Tears pooled on the edge of her lashes, refusing to fall.

"Kynthia. My dear." He raised his hand, holding an envelope in it. One he had pulled from his pocket a moment earlier while she spoke. "This was to be a wedding gift. The Monarch is yours. Has been for a while now. Wasn't expecting this though."

Kynthia took the envelope, unfolding it into an official document. One that firmly placed her name, and her real name beside it, as owner of the the Freighter The Monarch. Firefly etc etc...

"W.. Wedding?" she stuttered.

"Was going to ask you to be my wife. But then, you took off the Monarch. Flew her, knowing where you needed to go, and I knew it wasn't necessary for me to be the father of the ship no more. I saw the paths change for us. Selene knew too. She came and told me that her mother was waiting for us on Silence now. The woman who raised my little girl is there. I need this Kynthia. Need to do this for her. Kynthia.. I .. "

He sounded for a moment as though he was pleading. Kynthia's smile was simple and heartfelt. "'Tis alright Maverick. I was expectin' to have to buy the girl, not be able to walk away with her. An' something changed when I saw Belladonna. I remember who I am now. Only I choose not to be Eden. With her anger and all. But I can't be stayin' with you on the planet. I need to keep goin'."

She stood up and stepped over to him. Bending down, she touched her lips to his briefly, a touch of what was. Wistful, yet final.

"Thank you." She said. "I'm sorry." He replied, a little stunned at how easy it had been in the end.

Kynthia left the shuttle quickly and hurried to her cabin. Once again she unfolded the paper that confirmed she was indeed the owner and Captain of the Monarch.

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:26 pm

"Mm...shut-eye. I think I might do that. It's been a long day." She said quietly, closing her eyes. "If something runs out, tell me, or if something happens." She leaned against one of the cargo boxes, "But when I get up... you get to tell me what you're thinking about."
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:43 pm

"You're on," Tarra whispered, unsure as to what she would say. "I can still swap out the IV bags if needed, and I can get you something else to eat or drink." She curled her in and hugged her close, tucking everything in and under to keep her secure and cool. "There you go, Sam."

'And I'll let you know if Nakali is close to swallowing his own tongue out of pain and anguish from an unknown source.' Tarra thought smarmily. How the hell was she supposed to say how far she had fallen from keeping someone's trust?

She let Sam's breathing settle before she stood up to step around Nakali, watching his face closely. She had no idea if anything would happen, but she had the pain poppers settled in her hand, ready for dispersal and to reach in to keep his head above the water level...
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:47 pm

Shut the right, and the cloud jumped to the other side of the sun.

Shut the left, and the cloud jumped back to where he’d seen it first.
Open them both and he could see it blotting out the sun altogether.

The dune was warm against his back, a calming contrast to the slight chill of the Monarch’s ruined shadow falling across his torso. He’d been lying there on his back, looking up at the clouds and the milky blue sky for what felt like days.

Could have been weeks.
Could have been months.
Could have been hours.

But he was pretty sure he didn’t want to improve on his tan. For some strange reason he preferred the shadows here away from the bright, azure light of planet ‘Whereverthehell V’. And he was content with shadows for now, restful and at peace as he was. He could almost feel the tension of his life, the same oily residue that had gummed up his life to this point, ebbing away in the gentle ripples of relaxation.

This was the-WUFF!

+++

The droplet of water arced up into the air, escaping the gentle weak pull of gravity for a moment. But even though gravity was a weak force, weakest of all when you saw a cheap dime magnet snatch a nail off a coffee table, it was persistent and all pervasive. It dragged on the water droplet, deforming its graceful arc as velocity was bled from it.

For a moment it was held suspended above the cargo bay decking, a pearl of infinity caught in the snare of reality. But no such perfect moments exists for longer than the minds eyes want, and the droplet of water began its downward journey with ever increasing gusto.

It impacted on the metal grating without fanfare or trumpeting heralds, exploding upwards in a run of sodden assurances and certainties. Ever smaller droplets lashed out through the deck plating, dribbling through to dance across ventilation covers and insulated wires.

It was not the first.

Not the last.

+++

He coughed violently, rolling onto his side as he curled into a foetal position. That had been some kick, heckuva kick, so much so he was still trying to draw in a deep and meaningful breath of air to fill his bruised rib cage.

That was about the time of the second kick. This was landed square in his back, forcing it to arch and crack menacingly as he began a steady roll down the dune. One part survival instinct, one part naturally imparted momentum, he picked up speed on the way down.

Mouthful of sand.
Blinded by light.
Mouthful of sand.
Blinded by light.

He rolled to a stop at the bottom of the dune feeling...well like a man kicked twice by heavy steel capped boots and rolled down a dune funnily enough. He continued one more roll by force of will, landing on his front so he could at least attempt to get up and face he would be attacker. At any rate, at least he was getting a work out from the spa package. That was when he looked up at the figure walking slowly, purposefully, down the dune towards him.

“Damn...” Nakali wheezed “...beaten by cliché.”

+++

The water roiled around Nakali’s broiled body. His limbs twitched as he spine slowly began top arch, his head resting above the water as the back of his neck seemed to want to curl around the head of the bath tub.

A grimace was painted across his face as still tormented dehydrated muscles beneath the surface danced and pulled by some unseen puppeteer. He suddenly seemed to relax, like machines whose battery had just been yanked out before, with fisted curled into red blistered maces, his body writhed in tune to a demon’s tunes. And still his eyes rolled in their sockets, hidden from few as a deep, feral snarl erupted from dried vocal cords.

It was a sound no conscious mind could make, would make. It was the voice of the animal side of the human mind, the part that never turned off and would always tell you to run or fight it out when the time came. If it was in pain, or if it was major ticked off, was anyone’s guess.

TAG-Anyone
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:04 pm

Tarra watched helplessly as Nakali's face curled into a horrible grimace, echoing the face of the devastated man she had seen. His body jerked and bowed horrifically in front of her and she called in a low desperate tone which seemed redundant as a snarling growl broke forth from his lips.

"Saaaaam," she crooned, tears pricking her eyes as she held the pain popper poised above his shoulder and reached in underneath, hand waiting to catch the head to keep it away from the edge of the tub or beneath the rippling water. She was getting soaked and her face was overwhelmed, trying to keep his limbs from damaging themselves, feeling pummelled between his flesh and the tub's edge and taking the punishment she felt she deserved.

Tears rolled down her face, unbidden but in tandem with his pained seizure, trying with difficulty to wait through this unbelievably long waltz of anguish.
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:31 pm

Sam waited, watching. There wasn't really anything she could do. To try and hold him down could break bones, so she watched the seizure progress. As long as it stopped within five minutes. Five minutes, an eternity when watching a seizure. If not, she didn't have any good powerful IV sedatives. It pained her to watch, pained her to see this happening to anyone, although the tormented look in Tarra's face was almost as bad. "Just hang on with him, Tarra, he'll make it through this..."
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:45 pm

Tarra nodded, tears streaming down her face, heartsick and moaning, praying in a constant tone for this to pass. And in what seemed like an eternity, what stripped her bare inside and shredded her emotions between spiked fingers in long strings of silken tatters was knowing WHY he was suffering now. To be so close to this, to know...

His muscles suddenly released, like a marionnette whose strings had been severed in a dark reflection of life and his head almost connected with the tub's edge but for Tarra. Her hands, pain popper dropped to the bottom of the tub, curved around his head gently to stop the downward motion to tub edge or beneath the lapping waves that threatened to cover his nose and mouth.

She waited until he had stilled completed, and heard the unemotional click from his timepiece, resetting itself to tick down to the next such horrific display. He was settled now, face again serene in its state, and she sobbed openly, slipping down the side of the tub as her arms slid out from underneath him and their support. It was not her fault, not her responsibility, but her mistake and misstep had made it so.

She curled her legs underneath her body and pushed herself up off the deck. "Good lord," she breathed, voice ragged from her sympathetic expulsion, "it was SO much worse in person..."
Last edited by KendleRJ on Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:47 pm

"So much worse in person? You know what's going on?" Sam asked, "Why he seized?"
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:09 pm

Eyes closed. Tears forming and running; not for her but for who he had been. A torn sound, like broken glass, came from within her. And she stopped.

"I know." Serena Johnson started her confession, started explaining her shame, just recent in its discovery, and the horrible breach of privacy that she had crossed. She was almost sick with it. ALMOST. And she swallowed once, standing over the tub and above him; arranging everything so that he was comfortable and still covered within the bath. "I. KNOW."

Her face, guilt-ridden, pink cheeks flushed in her shame turned to face Sam directly. Serena's eyes were stricken, teary, but firm in their knowledge. The consequences of today would not be realized now; they would be fully visited upon her once he awoke and she made him hate her all the more. It was a small price to pay to ensure his life during his inability to take care of himself. If he never forgave her, then that would be fine; but at least he would be alive to hate her and carry that grudge. A lump sat in her throat and she swallowed audibly, clearing it from her voice so that she could continue.

"He trusted me, Sam. Trusted me with his possessions to dispose of them as necessary in the event of his death; handed me the very thing he found more important than himself, and..." Her voice broke, but she continued. "I apparently failed him." Her eyes closed and opened, tears clearing with the acceptance of that fact.

And she related the accidental discovery which became an active search, ending in the observation of his first experience of this disturbing display of torment, suffered as a consequence of an ignorant choice of a Good Samaritan. Something that effectively echoed, in mocking accuracy, the very thing that allowed him to get onboard the Monarch. And her story wound down, voice failing once she had related it all in its entirety.
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:23 pm

Sam stood, dumbfounded, her mouth slightly agape as her mind tried to wrap around what she had been told. It didn't make sense. At all. Was that the dehydration? Heat exhaustion? Actual exhaustion? Or did it just not make sense?

"So...wait...what? I don't...this don't make any sense. Does it make any sense? It don't make sense to me." Sam said, looking at Tarra not entirely sure whether to believe her or not. "You sure there's no contraband of some sort in that package, hallucinogenic or something? 'cause...it don't make no sense."
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:40 pm

Taking a deep breath, Serena turned back to the tub, cupping water into her palm and smoothing it slowly over his forehead, keeping her hand away from connecting with his skin directly in the open air.

"All I know is what I saw. And what I held in my hands, and what he had done." Closing her eyes, she was immediately standing on the ridge, coppery tang of blood assaulting her senses and she was pulled along with his steps once more, only wanting to help, to lend support... Her eyes remained shut, speaking to Sam of the images she recalled from his recording, and her voice gained more strength.

"Doctors and soldiers alike were strewn around the cargo container; and Nakali, without protection, without any concern for himself, went in and made contact with a child inside of the box." She was there with him, calling to god and reaching out... in her mind she had stopped the forward motion of his hand, had saved him from this agony. But she knew it was not so - and that for every day for the last 10 years, Nakali Sjet had suffered this same fate. Repeatedly and without fail.

Serena kept some of it back: the contact lenses, the money, the technological marvels, but the information about his health and his reactions she shared. The timing kept by the watch, and the vast array of pain poppers in his luggage. She reached into the tub, retreiving the immersed hypo spray, sopping yet waterproof and she wiped the container against her shirt. "I don't understand it all, Sam, I just know that until he wakes up, I will be there, every 13 hours and change to make sure he doesn't do damage to himself and to make sure the pain medication is administered to help him through it."

There was no negotiation in her voice; the responsibility of her zhouside was heavy on her heart, but she had already resolved to do whatever necessary to ensure his survival. The survival of them all. She grasped Sam around her shoulders and walked her slowly back to sit and rest. "I can tell the rest just as easily sitting down," Tarra said.
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:45 pm

"Huh..." Sam said, sitting down. None of this made sense. Did Sam hit her head? Did Tarra hit her head? Or was this a hallucination? Maybe a dream? Oh, that'd be a doozy. "Okay, explain more."
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:56 pm

And the time had come. Her own personal confession. It seemed to pale in comparison to Nakali's story: outlandish but unfortunately quite true. Perhaps it was a blessing that Sam was not fully aware, not fully comprehending of everything she said. When she was sitting through the picture, she watched it in fascination and disbelief until she watched it, up close and personal, only a few minutes ago.

"I can only tell you this like it's a story. A story about a Chef." She turned, hooking her leg and thigh to allow her to face Sam so she could address her directly. "A Chef called Serena Johnson." And the relaying of her personal story seemed so much less difficult after clearing her conscience of her gross breach of trust. A story of a disposable person, a story of loss, her own shame in her birth and finally, the deceit of her present name. And Serena smiled, singularly and without remorse. She finally finished her story, completing it with, "And not one person will mourn the passing of a nameless Chef. The End."
Last edited by KendleRJ on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:09 pm

Sam sat, staring at Tarra/Serena, not entirely sure what to think about anything anymore. "I think...I think maybe I need sleep, and in the morning, some of this might make sense." Was all she could manage to say.
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:12 pm

"Did you want to sleep here, or did you need help to your bunk?" Serena looked at Sam, overwrought, overwhelmed and overtired. "It was too much, I know, and I'm sorry."

She leaned forward, embraced her friend and kissed her gently on the cheek. "Take care and sleep well, mei dade."
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Quamie » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:12 am

"Kynthia!!" Ameri's panicked cry broke the stillness of the infirmary, accompanied by a wrenching of her back as she tried to rise, and followed by a soft, "Ow.."

She had been sleeping, and in that sleep, dreams had plagued her. Now conscious, the torment of her back plagued her, dulled though it was by painkillers administered through her IV. That IV which had been so hard for Sam and Kynthia to make and place. Obviously she needed to do a better job stocking in the infirmary. Thinking about her work here was good- it helped keep her from thinking of.... other things.

Ameri turned her head, as she was still lying on her stomach so as not to disturb the mess of her back while it healed. Nakali was out, and that was good. He looked horrible.

<tag any>
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Tavey » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:29 am

Kynthia raised her head at the faint cry. She tucked the envelope into her pocket and scrambled up the ladder from her cabin. Hurrying along the catwalk, and down the stairs to the infirmary sent slight echoing footsteps through the cargo hold. Maverick had retreated to his own quarters with Selene it seemed.

"Ameri?" She asked quietly, stepping close and sitting down. "Im here."

TAG - Ameri

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Sam looked over at Tarra, still trying to wrap her mind around everything. "If you could help me to my bunk...or a couch in the lounge, or somethin'..." She hated asking, and wanted to just be able to do, but she was far too exhausted, and standing made her dizzy.
Image Image
Monarch
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby KendleRJ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:33 pm

"Closer is better," Tarra's voice caught in her throat. Long day, and expecting an even longer night. "Let's get you to the Lounge."

She tucked the blanket around Sam, tears from her choices, her revelations and her consequences sticking in her throat. "Water's there, and if you need something, I'm just a holler away."

~Tag
USS Legacy

KendleRJ
Admiral
Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Firefly: Monarch