Episode 3 - Reverberations In The Black

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Episode 3 - Reverberations In The Black

Postby Tavey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:43 pm

The journey to St Albans was peaceful. If you count a ship stuffed to the welds peaceful. The men and women that were onboard tried with various degrees of success to cope with the rearrangement of their world. Many of them sank into a kind of despair, worrying that their families wouldn’t want them back after all this time. Fights occasionally broke out, mostly among the folk in the cargo hold. Between the tensions rising there, and the tensions being released with Lu and Chris, the ship felt very small for a few days.

Several of the passengers chose to leave when The Monarch refueled at the Space Bazaar. Since they had been known as troublemakers even at the moon, they were not missed.

In the two days between that stop and St Albans, arrangements were made for two burial services, held one day apart. Goro, the Browncoat that had held the prisoners of the Penal Moon together in more ways than one, was first. The following morning, Maverick would be burying his twin. Kynthia deliberately set it up that way, so that Maverick could have his peace for his personal grief.

She also found and negotiated a job for The Monarch. One that would keep them moving and away from trouble long enough for Sam and Maverick to be well on the way to recovery. They were to travel to Highgate, pick up some cargo and deliver it to Bernadette. Then return to St Albans with the official receipt and get paid the remainder of the fee. It would keep them out in the black the better part of a month all told. Time they needed right now.

Kynthia finalized the arrangements just as they entered St Albans atmosphere. Grinning, she headed for the bridge, stopping abruptly just outside the closed door.
“Lu, are you ready to get dirtside? I want to get the next three days done, then be headed on our way.” she called, vividly remembering the sight last time she had interrupted Lu and Chris in the bridge.

TAG Lu

She turned then and walked past the men and women waiting patiently to leave the ship. Joining the rest of the crew, she took her turn saying goodbye to all who were leaving.

TAG - Crew in the Hold.

The rest of that day was spent getting the ship back to normal. The sheer amount of debris from several people in a space designed for inanimate objects was staggering. But they really wanted to get it ready before Goro left for his final journey.

The following morning came all too quickly. It was tradition here for burials to take place in the moments before dawn. The Monarch prepared swiftly. Then, with a select few carrying the bier, they began to walk.

The procession from The Monarch to the resting place for Goro moved slowly as befit a hero. The dark street was lined with silent waiting people. As he passed, each lit a fire brand from the last. The flames leapt into the dark, lighting his way and showing all of the lives he had touched and given light to behind.

Just as the sun creased the horizon, Goro was laid down. It’s light glowed softly golden against the faces of those present. When the moment came, all were invited to say their own words.

TAG - anyone who wants to speak.

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Sam Crerar » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 am

During the two day journey, Sam had spent most of the time sleeping in the infirmary. Now, on St. Albas, in the bitter cold, she stood and watched the body of a friend be laid to rest. She knew she should say something, being probably one of the few who actually knew the big man. Still, she really couldn't force herself to say anything. If she spoke, she might cry, and she hadn't cried for anyone else, so she wouldn't cry now.

It was funny, the numb feeling that covered her, mixed with grief. It was like her hands, out in the open of the St. Albas wind, they hurt, but they were numb. She stared at Goro, then lowered her head. The biggest hurt, the biggest shame, Sam felt was not that Goro died. It was how, when he died, so close to freedom, after 9 years in a hell-hole. He didn't deserve that.

She remembered, sitting in a foxhole at Du Khang, arguing with Goro about supplies they didn't have, and what they needed most. The argument didn't really matter, and they both knew it, because resources wouldn't come. Still, that argument must have lasted four to six hours. Then they started to withdraw. She was shot, and she could remember, before passing out, seeing the Staff Sergeant run at her, laying down as much cover fire as he could with his limited ammo. He must have gotten shot then, after she passed out.

He was a good man, a good soldier, and the only thing she could do for him was bring his body back to the barren icerock he called home. It just didn't seem right. It didn't seem right at all.
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Saint » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:53 am

Maverick stood back from the procession. In his black coat and large black hat, the snow pounded mercilessly against him. His right was kept inside the coat. Ameri made him put on a sling to avoid moving his arm around any.

He knew the legendary John Goro. The two traded insults back and forth, but it was Goro who got him aboard the IMV Redemption when he knew about the defection. However, it cost John his very freedom. The freedom he almost had.

He knew that Sam wouldn't believe the entire story, not with her closed mind towards the Alliance. He also knew that one day, she would be hit with the reality that not all of her former friends and enemies were the same as the were back then. Even some of her former Browncoat allies turned into evil men.

John Goro, not so. He was buried on this ice world of courage as he should be. A hero and a gentleman. Another large black man came up to Maverick as he looked on. "Been a long time, Saul..."

"Yes, it has, Jarrod. I'm sorry I had to bring your boy back like this." Maverick looked over to the man now beside him. "If you hate me right..."

All Jarrod did was put a hand on Mav's shoulder. "I don't hate you, Saul. Not in the slightest. Ma boy knew what the war was gonna bring. I'm just glad he's home." He then cleared his voice. "I found the place for you. A series of passes leading to a hidden alcove along the western part of the world. Samuel wasn't always a bad person, you know..."

"I'd like to believe that, Jarrod. However, seems the ol' corporation really did a number on that brain of his." He shook Jarrod's hand. "Thank you, Jarrod."

"It weren't nothing, Saul. Even Samuel needs to find some sorta peace. Maybe now, he can... I'm gonna join the folk. See my boy into the earth..."

As Maverick nodded to him, he felt a little hand pull him. "C'mon, Dad. I know you feel uncomfortable around the folks, but Goro was my friend."

He pulled her hat over her ears and nodded to her. "You're right, little one. And after this, I'm going to have a talk with my First Mate. Find out what's going on in that brain pan."

Selene looked at him, "Nonono! You're not going to... She'll go loopy again and..."

He put a finger on her lips. "I'm a grown man, Selene Armstrong. I know what I'm doing. I need to talk to her and to Sam, too. And she will listen..."

Selene looked again at him, "Alright..."

"Good, so let's honor John for now. And then, tomorrow, we bury your uncle."

TAG - Funeral procession
Saint
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Galifestus » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:45 am

He had objected.

It really wasn't his place anymore.

But there were so many who remembered; insisted. They had known him nine years and more before, and back then it was always 'Shepard Lo.' They all had agreed that any new man would be less fitted to the task in hand. Any new man hadn't been with them, seeing to their needs spiritual on so many cold hungry marches and on so many battle fields. It was he who'd seen their comerades off back then, and they wanted no one but him now.

So he walked the path again.

Tattered scripture in hand, he saw the coffin before him, born by eight men and women who respected and loved John Goro. Seven whose old faded uniforms were repaired, cleaned and pressed and one whose dark sunday suit contrasted with the brown, but went along with it. David Goro had been only nine when his biggest brother had gone to fight for their rights to self determination, and had never given up hope for his return till he had seen the shell of the man come off Monarch's cargo deck. It was only fitting he should be a part of it.

Along with the men and women from the tiny prison worldlet, the procession was swelled with local veterans of the war and their friends and families. Folks who had no connection to the family but repsect for someone who'd fought for them walked in solemnity. Leaders in the community were there to pay respects. The local authorities were there, all in plain clothes. The war had been painful for everyone, and they had nodesire to stir trouble nine years after it was over--for them.

The place was quiet and serene. A tractor stood a ways off to one side, having dug most of the grave the night before. It had been finished and squared by heavy hands on short handled shovels. For a world that reained frozen at any elevation higher than forty meters above the sea most of the year, the spot was a pretty one. Surrounded by large connifers and holly.

The coffin was placed next to the grave, and the company assembled. Chuy Lo stepped up to conduct the service he'd read so many times before on a dozen different worlds. A little way off, the local Shepard solemnly looked on, respectful of the family's wishes to have the man their boy had known do the honors, though he would have to make some mention of it in his monthly report, due a couple weeks hence.

Words were said. A psalm was read. Many who would have said something stood silent, unequal to their emotions, but obvious in their love and respect.

Time came to lower the casket of planed cedar into the cold ground. A weeping mother threw in a clod of the earth. A sternly controled father, a tear escaping, threw in another. A brother firm but openly weeping threw in his clod.

Amazing Grace rang out across the valley as sunlight touched the tops of the trees breaking the predawn storm.
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Solomon James » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Sol was unusually quiet as Chuy spoke. Most of the words didn't seem to get all the way to his brain, they just sat outside taunting him with the knowledge of death. Solomon had seen many people die. He'd seen many people sacrifice themselves. He'd seen many Browncoats die.

This death was different. This was Sol's first time this close to a funeral. Sol was thinking about all the burials that happened just like this on Du Khang, Serenity, Shadow. All bodies he'd carried and this was the only one he wanted to send off to the afterlife.

As the casket was lowered Sol looked at Chuy as the hymn started to play.

Sol turned around and walked a few steps away from the family and then cautiously looked around he whispered quietly:

"Absolve, we ask Thee, O Lord,
the soul of Thy servant David Goro,
from every bond of sin,
that bein' raised in the glory of the resurrection,
he may be refreshed among the Saints and Elect.
Through Christ our Lord.

Amen."

Sol lightly and quickly touched his shoulders, forehead and chest in the form of a crucifix.

He looked around again to see if anyone had noticed and then took a few steps back into his place as the song was finishing.

TAG-Did anyone hear Sol?
Solomon James
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Quamie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Ameri had huddled in the infirmary or her room while the others were on board. She was fearfully shy of meeting any of the strangers, especially when they crowded into her home so abruptly. The medic even began eating at off hours to minimize the chance of coming into contact with anyone, especially anyone new.

But when it came to Goro's burial, Ameri did make an appearance, albeit in the back of the crowd. She saw Sol's gesture, but was unable to hear the words. Still, the symbolize caught her attention, her eyes flicking to him quickly before flitting away again. For the most part, she stared at the ground solemnly.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Sam Crerar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:03 am

After the end of the funeral, Sam had headed back to the Monarch. She didn't particularly like the cold, and she didn't feel like interacting much with people. Not yet.

Maverick was standing in the cargo bay trying to dust off and get warm near the stairs. He took his hat off and whipped it to get more snow off. Afterwards, he took a seat on the stairs to catch his breath.

Sam spotted Maverick and almost turned back around to go in the other direction. Instead, she just snarled lowly at him.

"I could've left you on that rock. Let him do what he wanted like he tried to 9 years ago." He looked right at her. "But what would that prove." He stood up and kept his eyes on her. "You think I liked lying about what I was for so long, Samantha... You'd have tried to kill me on sight."

Sam's response was a left hook into his jaw, which threw her off balace causing her to land on the deck. Not exactly the graceful hit she had been aiming for. She grunted as she pulled herself up, looking at Maverick. "I asked you, you liou coe shway duh biao-tze huh hoe-tze duh ur-tze! I asked you who you fought for!"

Maverick fell to the deck and swept her to the ground. Of course, he couldn't finish the attack because he was only one armed. "You yu bun duh ching-wah TSAO duh liou mahng! You wouldn't have listened or believed me anyways, so what was the gorram point!"

Sam got up again, seriously debating between hitting him again and shooting him. "How do you know?! Are you some sort of gorram reader?! I deserved better than to find out from your psychotic family!"

Maverick wasn't as lucky to get up, as she was. Much like a turtle on its back, of course. "You're right... You did deserve a little better about Hauser. The girl, though, I thought she was dead."

"A little better? A little gorram better?" Sam barked out a harsh laugh. "You sound like you were the one who had your brain scrambled. Slavers would deserve a little gorram better than Hauser. What I got? I got humped, hard."

"You think? Then you go around for most of your life with the knowledge that you killed about a batallion's worth of Browncoats on a rumor." He moved himself to where he could lean against something. "You hear the story about the rogue Browncoat unit that slaughtered a family, right?"

Sam was immediately on the defensive. "Alliance propaganda, the unit was proven innocent."

"As they should've been, because a family was slaughtered. Mine. And the unit took the rap they shouldn't have. I'm sure you know who really did it."

"Hauser."

Maverick nodded, "You learn something new everyday around here, don't you." He had a bitter chuckle. "It's too bad it took until the beginning of Serenity Valley for me to figure out the joke."

"He won't be causing anymore problems now, thanks to Kynthia." Sam replied coldly.

She got a nod in agreement. "I don't know what he learned in his time at the Military schools, Samantha. But after all of that, he turned into a gorram monster. Something not sane anymore. Not my brother anymore." He looked up to the ceiling for a bit. "All I know is that he went loopy in the head and nothing made sense. Killin' folks for no reason. Even trying to get the jump on Sgt. Reynolds and his boys at the end. The Browncoats put up the flag, but he didn't care..."

"Yeah, and when you shot him, you missed."

"Not entirely. He was missing a good chunk of his face at the end of it."

"You missed the vital part."

"I know, the brainpan. Which by the time I could regain my spot, he was gone." Maverick looked at her again. "Seems with his face blown off, he crawled back to the General and off he went on a trip to Osiris."

"And then to be the sadistic warden of hell. Which is where our story begins." Sam replied with a fair level of snark.

"I'd put more sarcasm in that, but yes."

"Do not test my patience, Maverick. I still don't know why I haven't shot you yet."

"Hell, why not, it seems everybody else has or wanted to." Maverick coughed a little bit. "My tarted up daughter did. My first mate tried to. Hauser tried to. So, join the list..."

Sam pulled out her pistol and put it up against Maverick's chest. "I can end it for you. Shoot you dead right here. Bury you right next to your psychotic brother, which by military accounts, you ain't much better, Colonel Armstrong. The question is...are you even worth that much effort?"

"And what would you prove? That you shot a traitor fo the Alliance? That you finally got that revenge after nine years. Go ahead and do it. Feel better about yourself. Or will you?"

"How about I shot a man who didn't have the courage to look me in the eye and tell me he was Alliance? How about I shoot the man who is directly responsible for having the gorram hell tortured out of me?! Yeah, you risked your life to save me, but was that because you cared or because you didn't want that dark spot of guilt on your soul?"

Maverick looked at her, "I could care less about guilt anymore, Samantha. You were the first girl I took in for the ship... Of course, I couldn't look at you and tell you that. So, yes. I saved you because I cared. Some day you might believe that."

Sam grunted and holstered her pistol. "Maybe some day."

"However, today... I don't know what to believe, either."

"Who the hell knows what to think anymore?"

He pulled out a flask of rice wine. "Sit..."

Sam sighed, then groaned as she sat. She still ached all over. "This entire thing has been nuts."

"I agree, young lady." He took a swig and passed it over to Sam. "At least you were so out of it when Kynthia pulled out that rifle. Of course, she's scarier than my daughter... Or is my. Aiya hualae... What did we do for this?"

Sam took a heavy swig before handing it back. When she swallowed, she shrugged, then winced. "Karma... maybe we're paying on our family's karma."

He put his left arm around Sam, "One day, I'll find a way to make this up to you. You know this, right?"

Sam winced again, her muscles were still a little too sore and bruised for a hug to be comfortable. "It's gonna take a lot of making up, Mav. A lot. My head ain't stopped pounding yet."

He nodded to her. "Yeah, breathing through one lung is fun, too. So, I guess you saw Goro's family. His dad found a place for Samuel to be buried. Seems he also wants the past to stay where it should. An alcove on the western half. Almost a hidden cave like passage. You'd have to try to get there. Might prevent desecration, which is the hope..."

Despite her feelings, Sam didn't comment on desecration. "What are we going to do with Agent 41?"

He sighed as she asked that, "Don't know... Just going to hope the Alliance isn't after her that badly. How much trouble could a 16 year old be?"

"She shot you in the lung, she nearly torture me to death, there's a body count longer than my sniper rifle... Not to mention, on the topic of other 16 year olds, Miranda."

He sighed yet again. "So, you think Ameri could drug us for a couple of days after this next funeral... It's sounding like a good idea?"

"I wouldn't mind sleeping, but I think someone needs to keep an eye on our precious little killer."

"Which one... And I mean that seriously." He struggled to get up. "If the first mate doesn't get me, the daughter will. Which I'll have to address that sometime, too. And you thought this job wouldn't be interesting." As he finally stood up, Maverick looked at Sam. "Get some rest, we have this next funeral and then off to the job."

"I'm not going to that funeral, Maverick."

"Don't blame you, Sam." He waved to her. "Not going to make you, either. You deserve some peace."

Sam shrugged. "I'm not sure what I will do during the funeral, but anything is better than going to a funeral for a man you hope rots in the deepest pit of the hot place you can find."

As he went up the stairs, "The bad part is Sam, I want worse for the man he became. As far as who he was, I don't know anymore... I just don't"

Sam shrugged again as she sat on the stairs. "He became a demon."
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Tavey » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 am

The cold wind chilled Kynthia down to her bones. She stood, a respectful ways back from the main group for Goro's funeral. Seemed the war was still killin' folk one way or another even after Serenity's crew had opened up the truth.

Something turned over in her belly at the thought. Wondering just who would die next, she left the funeral as the old Earth-that-was hymn rang out. It had been a beautiful service.

She hurried through the streets to a nondescript house just off the main square of the settlement. Knocking on the door, she waited impatiently for the door to open so she could get out of the wind. When it was opened wide enough for her to get inside, she smiled in relief. "Mind me to never move here will ya? Don't rightly know how you cope with all that freezin'." The man who had opened the door nodded in polite agreement.

He escorted her to the office of Jordan Pettle, a local shipping merchant, and the one she had made the arrangements with. He pointed at the chair in front of his desk. Kynthia shook her head. "Where's the contract Jordan?" she asked. "I want to get off this iceball back into the frozen wastes of the Black, which is cold I am understanding."

He passed over the tablet with the contract on it. "Scroll down to the bottom and put your thumb on the scanner. The boxes will be ready by the time you get to Highgate." Kynthia read through the contract and carefully placed her thumb where indicated. She received the Ship copy of it and tucked it away for Maverick to see later. She then put her hand out. "Half first Jordan. Pass it over."

He smiled wryly. "You ship people. Always thinkin' that you're gonna get the sharp end if you don't be blunt about it. Here." Kynthia tucked away the money he gave her. Then left.

On her way back to the ship, she bought some savories for the ship. Pastry filled with a variety of protein was a favorite when available.

It was a while before she arrived back at The Monarch. Shaking off the snow, she was grateful to be home. She laughed in delight as the scent of the warm savories wafted through the ship. Time for some coffee to get itself made too.

She toggled the ship comm as she passed it on her way to the galley. "Got two things worth bein' in the lounge for. Details of the job finalised and hot pastry. Might miss the pasty if'n you don't hurry."

Kynthia tried very hard to ignore the stare of Maverick's daughter as she passed Selene in the corridor. "Mornin' Sweetling. Want some pastry?" she asked the young woman.

"Not from you. It might kill me." Selene vanished into Maverick's cabin at the words. Feeling hollow, Kynthia put the pastries in the galley and began to make coffee. She was so wrapped up in her thoughts, that she jumped a little when folk began to arrive in the lounge.

TAG - whoever's arriving

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Quamie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:42 am

Ameri arrived in the cargo bay just in time to see Sam and Maverick trying their level best to beat one another down. Good thing they were both injured such that they couldn't do any real damage. She hid, watching, and trying not to tremble. They were working it out, as they needed to. Sam had a lot of hurt.

Maverick started up the stairs, while Sam sat at the bottom of them, and then Kynthia's announcement rang out. "Got two things worth bein' in the lounge for. Details of the job finalised and hot pastry. Might miss the pasty if'n you don't hurry."

Ameri smiled at the thought of fresh, hot pastry, but she needed to see to Sam first. She emerged from her hiding place and walked over to Sam. "How are you feeling?" Her hands checked the physical wounds, but her eyes met Sam's, just for a moment, worrying about inner wounds too.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Sam Crerar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:06 am

Sam met Ameri's eyes for a moment, but looked away before answering. "Head hurts, muscles hurt, other than that, fine." It was a lie, a bald-faced lie, and probably not even a believable one. Still, she was suppose to be strong, couldn't show any weakness.
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Quamie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:11 am

Ameri wrapped her arms around Sam in a hug full of tenderness. "I'm glad you're back," she whispered, pulling back with a smile.

"I can give you medicine for the pain, but if it isn't that bad, you should try to go without. It should keep you from injuring yourself more."
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Sam Crerar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:20 am

Sam smiled weakly at Ameri. "Thanks, hun. I can function without the pain medicine, it's not like it's something I haven't done before."

In response to the hug, Sam put one arm around Ameri. "But it's good to be back."
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Galifestus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:45 am

Even on the cold world of St Albans, there was plenty of work for a hundred new workers. Most of the escapees found place to be before the funeral of Goro was held. Others had already arranged transport closer to their old homes. There'd be rumors of walking dead men coming out of the black nine years late to haunt every one of the half million families who'd lost loved ones in the Unification War.

Chuy trudged through the snow alongside the local shepard. It was a silent comeraderie they shared. Nothing was to be said, as it had all been said before. They approached the shepard's house on the way and finally their silence broke in farewells.

"See you around, Shepard."

"God go with you, Mister Lo."

They pulled right hands from gloves and gripped a moment, and then parted, the one to go in to family, the other for trouble and deep space.
~Mike Heywood~
~Fess~
Galifestus
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Quamie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Ameri smiled again at Sam. "Are you ready for some pastries? Kynthia promised them hot."

The young girl had no idea exactly what had transpired on the surface during Sam's escape. But nevertheless, her question had little to do with whether Sam was ready for food, but more with whether she was ready to eat with Maverick.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Sam Crerar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:32 pm

Sam smiled a little, but didn't respond for a moment. Finally, she broke the silence. "Eh, sure...might not stay for long, but a pastry would be nice."
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Quamie » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:24 pm

"If you feel the need, go and rest. No more fighting for you for a while- you need to heal," Ameri replied quietly. She helped the fighter up and assisted her as needed to the galley, where she saw Sam settled with a pastry and drink, and then curled herself up in a corner.

The pastries were delicious, and Ameri ate hers slowly, savoring each bite and letting the warm crust melt away in her mouth. She sipped tea and listened and watched the others in the galley.
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Solomon James » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:36 pm

Sol left the funeral and headed back to the ship he walked slowly and thought to himself about about stopping to spend a little cash on some new clothes but then he realized he probably wouldn't be able to buy a pair of pants with the money he had on him.

He arrived at the Monarch and spent some more time thinking in the engine room. He started to doze off and heard the message from the comm nearly as soon as he entered a nice good sleep. "Got two things worth bein' in the lounge for. Details of the job finalised and hot pastry. Might miss the pasty if'n you don't hurry."

"Pastries. Shiny." He said aloud as he made his way to the lounge.

He got to the lounge and Kynthia was already there pouring some coffee, "Hello Kynthia," he said to her, he looked over and saw Ameri, "Hello Ameri". He smiled at her he could've sworn she'd seen him back at the funeral but she didn't mention anything. He was grateful. "Pastries. Tasty."

Sol grabbed a cup of coffee from the table top and grabbed a pastry. He started munching on the pastry and slurping down the coffee.

Tag-Anyone else coming in.
Solomon James
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Sam Crerar » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Sam hadn't eaten maybe two bites of her pastry when Sol came in. She didn't really know Sol, in fact, she had no clue how he became part of the crew, but apparently he was now. Maybe she should find out. "Hey, Sol...that is your name, right? Sol? I'm not imagin' it? How'd you get to be part o' the crew?"
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Tavey » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:39 pm

SOl got to the lounge and Kynthia was already there pouring some coffee, "Hello Kynthia," he said to her, he looked over and saw Ameri, "Hello Ameri". He smiled at her he could've sworn she'd seen him back at the funeral but she didn't mention anything. He was grateful. "Pastries. Tasty."

Sol grabbed a cup of coffee from the table top and grabbed a pastry. He started munching on the pastry and slurping down the coffee.

Kynthia jumped when Ameri and Sam arrived at the lounge. Gorram it but she was nervy since the moon. She figured it had something to do with the headache that just wouldn't quit. Blinking away sudden tears, she rinsed the cloth. Solomon arrived shortly after for his share.

"Hey Sol. Everything go well this mornin'?" she asked, trying to cover up her reaction to the spill. She poured fresh coffee and went to sit with Ameri.

"Been busy ain't it? How are things in the infirmary? I sure could do with spendin' some time with you soon." She snagged one of the sweet pastries she had bought and split it in half to share.

Sam hadn't eaten maybe two bites of her pastry when Sol came in. She didn't really know Sol, in fact, she had no clue how he became part of the crew, but apparently he was now. Maybe she should find out. "Hey, Sol...that is your name, right? Sol? I'm not imagin' it? How'd you get to be part o' the crew?"

Kynthia looked up as Sam spoke. She shook her head at Sol. This really was her job, least as long as she had the job.

"Sol looks after the engines now Sam. He came onboard at the Drift. Chuy Lo too. They both know the captain from long ago an' they both came to help us get you out." She twisted her hands into the cuffs of her shirt. This wasn't easy.

"The Cap'n made me first mate when he got shot. That's the changes that you don't know about. Ship is doing well now all her family are here."

TAG - Sam

"Oh, 'cept for the passenger that Ameri' lookin' after. He arrived then too. Bit out of place, but I guess he's solid."

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Solomon James » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:41 pm

"Hey Sol. Everything go well this mornin'?" Kynthia asked.

"Better now that I've got some yummies to eat."

Sol figured the question would come sooner or later. Even though they'd only been together a short time Chuy and Mav were like family and the he'd taken to the crew and to Monarch like a home but he'd just met Sam.

"Wel--" Sol started to answer when he saw Kynthia shaking her head at him.

"Sol looks after the engines now Sam. He came onboard at the Drift. Chuy Lo too. They both know the captain from long ago an' they both came to help us get you out. The Cap'n made me first mate when he got shot. That's the changes that you don't know about. Ship is doing well now all her family are here."

Sol smiled, he'd much rather have had Kynthia explain it them him.

TAG-Sam

"Oh, 'cept for the passenger that Ameri' lookin' after. He arrived then too. Bit out of place, but I guess he's solid."

Sol decided to take this opprotunity to change the subject before he became the topic of interest.

"Ameri, how is that fella?"

TAG-Ameri

(OOC: Sory for all the cuttin' and pastin')
Solomon James
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Quamie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Ameri felt the tension as Sam asked about Sol and Kynthia explained the changes since Sam had been taken. It seemed a lot to take in, so much different in so short a time. But even Ameri had adjusted.

Then Kynthia mentioned the passenger, and Sol turned the topic of conversation over to her. Ameri studied her pastry, finding herself the sudden center of attention, but replied quietly "He needs rest, but he should make a full recovery."
Quamie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Sam Crerar » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:50 pm

"Sol looks after the engines now Sam. He came onboard at the Drift. Chuy Lo too. They both know the captain from long ago an' they both came to help us get you out. The Cap'n made me first mate when he got shot. That's the changes that you don't know about. Ship is doing well now all her family are here."

"Ameri, how is that fella?"

"He needs rest, but he should make a full recovery."

Sam looked back and forth between her three fellow crewmates, although it was hard to wrap her mind around Sol being a crewmate. "So... Sol fixes the engines, you're the first mate...Chuy Lo, he a Shepard? He's onboard with us... and there's a passenger that's making a recovery from what? I get kidnapped for three days and the entire gorram roster changes."
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Solomon James » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:01 am

"So... Sol fixes the engines, you're the first mate...Chuy Lo, he a Shepard? He's onboard with us... and there's a passenger that's making a recovery from what? I get kidnapped for three days and the entire gorram roster changes."

Sol nearly choked on his coffee as he laughed at Sam's statement.

"So don't go leavin' again or I'll be the Captain, Chuy'll be the doctor and Mav'll have to fix the engines."

Sol smiled and looked back to Kynthia.

"So, new job? Much money behind it?"

TAG-Kynthia
Solomon James
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Saint » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Maverick came into the lounge with the girl by the back of her neck. "Oww. Dad, I'm not..."

"Girl, don't try me today. Now apologize to Kynthia, or you'll get to work the engines with Sol, scrubbing every part he gives you."

She shyly looked up, almost defeated. "I'm sorry, Miss Kynthia. My behavior was out of line. I promise I'll behave from now on..." Another pinch. "Might I have a pastry, please?"

TAG - Room (Who's shocked?)

He took his hand off of her neck and pointed to a seat. "Alright, all things considered. Including the girl..." He heard a bit of Sol's comment. "And Mr. James, if you're Captain of this boat on the next Sam excursion, I'll wonder what planet we're marooned on."

TAG - Sol

He picked up his coffee and took a pastry, "Alright, we've got a job secured then, Kynthia. Glad to see you're able to take charge while I became a bullet and bruise magnet." He looked at her, "In all seriousness, you did shiny. So, details?"

After that, "And after we're informed, I need to speak to you in private, dong ma?"

TAG - Kynthia
Saint
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Tavey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Selene shyly looked up, almost defeated. "I'm sorry, Miss Kynthia. My behavior was out of line. I promise I'll behave from now on..." Another pinch. "Might I have a pastry, please?"

Kynthia looked at Selene, before silently indicating the plate on the table. She steadily regarded the child for a moment. “”Tis alright little one. You been through a lot an’ you are still thinkin’ it through.”

Maverick picked up his coffee and took a pastry, "Alright, we've got a job secured then, Kynthia. Glad to see you're able to take charge while I became a bullet and bruise magnet." He looked at her, "In all seriousness, you did shiny. So, details?"

After that, "And after we're informed, I need to speak to you in private, dong ma?"

She looked around at the Crew. Chuy was still on his way, but she wanted to get out of the lounge and try to hide somewhere before the Captain could catch her after she had explained things.

“Right, first off, Cap’n here’s the first half of the fee.” She passed him the notes, making sure that there was no way their fingers could touch.

“We’re going to Highgate first. Picking up six boxes of medicines and such. Then taking them to Bernadette. Simple enough, even in the four weeks we got to do the trip. Works out that we should have about a half week spare, so we don’t need to kill the ship to get there. Then it’s back here for rest of payment. Cap’n here is the Ships Copy of the contract, with details of who we pick up from and deliver to.”

She looked at the table then, feeling a bit self conscious. “I thought it best to keep us away from all things bullet like and pointy for a while. Give all of us a chance to heal up. Should be long enough I’m thinking for the worst of it.”

TAG - anyone who wants to make a comment.

Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Next

Return to Firefly: Monarch