Episode 0: Who We Are Instead

Firefly: Monarch is a sim based in the Firefly universe. The crew serves onboard a Firefly class starship running cargo, legal or not so legal.

Moderator: [Sim] Firefly: Monarch - Hosts

Episode 0: Who We Are Instead

Postby Saint » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:51 am

The world was called Haven. This was the home of a legend in the 'Verse named Shepherd Derrial Book. It ended up becoming a slaughterhouse when the Operative had an idea of gettin' even with Malcolm Reynolds. Since that day three years ago, the people have been doin' shiny for themselves. In fact, more people have come here to do a bit of cleanin' and rebuildin'.

Two years ago, an old graying man moved into these parts. He didn't really have a name. He opened up an orphanage in these parts for any who young children who lost their familes during the wars and battles. The local shepherd decided to call him Maverick, seeing they needed a proper name for him, of course.

This old man was a mighty nice fella, actually. He took in any of the kids who really needed the hand. All of those rascals ended up calling him "Granpa" out of respect to him. To them, he was family. However, to keep the kiddies fed, you gotta have coin and cashey money. And things were runnin' a bit smooth for him. He was getting it from parts unknown, of course. However, like much in this 'Verse, it was just enough to get by.

One day, one of his old wards came flyin' in like a gorram BUN tyen-shung duh ee-DWAY-RO. The old man looked up at the craft he was in. He recognized it quite well. It was an 03 Firefly. The former jewel of the shipping industry. As the old man started walking towards the craft, he looked at the young man. The gorramned fool was hurt seriously. As Maverick helped him to the ground, he tried to talk. However, "Bizui, boy! We gotta get you to a doc!"

The boy looked at him, "It's too late, granpa... I'm a goner. That BOO hway-HUN duh PUO-foo... I can't be fixed, sir. I'm sorry I brought this trouble on me. All I had left to get money was merchanting... I failed at that, too." After this, he gasped and fell over dead.

Maverick looked at him and closed the boy's eyes, "Nah, son. You did mighty good." All of a sudden an Alliance cruiser landed right behind him. "Gorramn it. What now?" He saw a crowd of purplebellies running out. "Wei! Wei!"

The Alliance officers turned around and saw this tall old man walking towards them. "Where's the boy? We need him for... questioning, old man."

Maverick glared at him. "Off to heaven, no thanks to you pieces of tsway-niou. Now that you found him, I recommend you get the hell off my land. You purple bellies have no juridiction on mah land!" He patted the side of his hip. "Don't test me."

The officer in charge looked at him, "We don't give a gorram about what you think, pops." All of a sudden, a flash and a shot was heard as the officer acquired a new hole in his head. They just saw the barrel of a Peacemaker pointed at them when they looked up.

"Any other big damn heroes?" The guys looked at him petrified, "Then... Ta ma de! Nimen de bizui! On your merry!" The officers picked up their superior and headed on their way... "Ai ya. Women wanle... Damned alliance morons. Better check on the kids..."

(tag- anyone who wants to start their prologue story now, too)
Saint
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Sam Crerar » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:16 pm

Sam Crerar had been on her way to the city's pub, which afterall was the best place to look for a job, when the Alliance ship landed. Cursing in both English and Chinese, she put a hand on her holster, then slipped into the nearest building she could find.

Inside of the building, several kids stared at Sam as if she was some sort of alien. Crerar's throat constricted, and the only thing she was able to get out was "Uh, hi.". Kids, she hated kids, kids made her nervous. Bad things always happened when kids were involved. What bad thing was going to happen now?
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Kris » Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:56 pm

Lucille Marie wondered the streets looking for anyone who would even give her a chance to work. There were no piloting jobs anywhere, so she began to search for a mechanical job. She had gained the reputation of the 'bad-assed blonde'. No one wanted to hire her because of it. She had been fired from 3 piloting jobs and 2 mechanic jobs because of her questioning her bosses orders almost every time she recieved them.

It was getting late and she had only eaten one meal early that morning, so she decided to stop at the only bar that still allowed her inside.

Sitting at her usual table, the barman knew what to bring her without even asking for her order. This time around, however, she was getting stares from a group of men sitting nearby. Ignoring them wasn't working, because Lu knew they were talking about her. One of them stood up and decided to test something on her, to see if the rumors were true.

Not looking up from her dish, Lu, in a cold voice, said, "Something I can help you with?" Stooping down to try and look into her eyes, "Oh nothing really, just thought I would try something, Lucille."

Faster than the man could pull back, there was a fist flying into his nose and there was a loud crack. Lucy was on her feet and the man was sumbling back, his hands over his nose. "Do not call me by that name!" was all she said as she went back to her seat and ate again. Jacob, the bar tender, walked over to her. "Lu, what have I told you?"

"Jacob, he was asking for it, that who damn table is lucky they didn't get slugged." She glanced up at the table of men, who were leaving. "But Lu, you have been warned many times over. No matter how much they provoke you..." "Do not hit them, yes Jake, I remember." Lucy said with a growl. "Right, continue your meal, and Lu, please don't let it happen again."

The meal was over 20 minutes later and Lucy paid and walked out into the darkness. One of the few street lights that remained on at this time was lighting up a board of avaliable jobs. Shrugging to herself, she decided to go check them. There probably was no listing she could even look to fill, but it was worth a try.
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Sam Crerar » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:07 pm

After that bit of a run in, the old man put away his gun and started walking to the house. He was none the wiser over anything that occured while he was outside. He started hearing a bit of a commotion inside the house, though. "What the in sphincter of hell are those kids playing at..." Then, he saw a woman inside with house. "Who the hell is..." Slowly, he opened the door. He snuck inside with absolute silence. Of course, he was right behind her when the kids finally noticed him. "Best explain yourself, lady..."

Sam's reactions were quick as she spun and pulled her pistol simultaneously. "Best not sneak up on me, pops. Just takin' cover from the purple-bellies. Don't mean no harm."

"Put the gun down, bao bey. Trust me, if I was gonna kill you. You wouldn't be standing." He looked her up and down. "Built like a tank. Not bad with a gun. What's a gun doing in Haven, anyways? Looking for work, I imagine..." He started to walk away from her, not afraid of her gun. "We don't have much here these days. Not since those purple bellies killed ol' Book. We do have food and a few refreshments, if you want to kick back for a spell."

Sam grunted, holstering her pistol. "Yes, looking for work. Not much around here."

He nodded to her, "Not really. This is a hideout for most folk. The occasional purple belly comes by to try to reclaim what they call their land. But you know they're losing their grip. Ever since that wave from Mal Reynolds. They've been losing grip of everything." A child brought Sam a lemonade, as they were talking. "However, one of my kids brought over a ship... I'm about to make myself scarce. You know, since the Alliance doesn't take to kindly to people giving their officers a new hole in their head."

Sam blinked, "You shot an officer? Hell, I'm beginning to like you, pops."

He pulled out his old Peacemaker. "Never misses, young lady."

"Not exactly young, and I might be a female, but I've never been a lady."

Of course, a bit of a chuckle came out. "Not in your job description, really. You either kill or beat up people. Nothing fancy." He took his cowboy hat off and put it on the hook by the door. Sam could see a full head of long gray hair. "People around these parts call me Maverick. Don't care to give out my real name. Don't want those purple bellies to get a jump on me."

"Alright, Maverick, name's Sam Crerar." Sam replied, taking a sip of the lemonade. "If you need a hired hand of my variety..."
Mav looked out at the ship. "There's no if involved. It's more of a when. Going to need a pilot to steer this damned thing. Probably a few others. But a gun is always needed."

"Can do, long as you have money to pay."

He looked at her, "I've got the money. Don't you worry about that. Just make sure you don't kill me unless you get a completely better offer. I'd at least respect that much."

Sam laughed, shaking her head. "100% better, at least."

"Good. Consider yourself a hired gun. We start finding the rest of the ship. I hear a few of the old crew might be floatin' around here. Might even pick up a decent flyer." He saw the table being gathered. "However, we eat. I see the cook gathering up a few of the sweet buns. Take a seat, if you want."

Sam looked around, looking at the kids. Kids still always made her nervous. However, she didn't have any money to speak of. "Alright. Guess I can stay a few hours."
Sam Crerar
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Tavey » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Kynthia touched The Monarch gently. “Hello Old Girl. Fancy meeting you here.”

“Who’d you say owns this now?” she called to the deck crew of Haven. “I ain’t seen seen it here before.”

Well, that bit was true at least. She knew this ship. Knew its scars as if they were her own. Hell, they’d received some at the same time. She also knew that it was far far away from Haven last time she had seen it.

The foreman pointed off to one side of the shipyard. “Go ‘n see Maverick. One of his kids paid off the debts or sommat like that anyways. He’d know.”

“Maverick. Old guy. Greylin’? Thanks.” She tipped her hand towards the foreman.

She resolutely turned away from the old Firefly 3. By the time she had walked though the shipyard she had half convinced herself it wasn’t The Monarch, that she was crazy for even thinking it and that she had no hope of getting on board.

Rounding the edge of the last ships, she spotted a group of Purple Bellies walking towards her. Ducking her head in what she hoped was a normal response to their presence, she hurried past them.

Kynthia walked down the dusty street in a daze. Her heart was pounding, tears began to pool in her eyes and when she blinked they slid through the dirt on her face.

By the time she reached the Orphanage, she was openly crying. She scrubbed at her face in irritation. It wouldn’t do to be all freaky face when she asked for a job.

The house was as beaten up as the rest of Haven. The front door stood slightly open in an effort to cajole the breeze. She walked up the path and knocked on it.

The man who opened it fully fitted the description of Maverick. She stood there, mute for a moment. Dusty, shaking slightly and with a tear stained face.

“You Maverick?” she demanded, just as he was about to speak,

“Own The Monarch now? She’s me old ship. I can fix jus’ bout anythin’ broke on The Old Girl. You lookin’ for someone who knows her or is this the wrong place?”

She looked down at her feet for a moment.

“Please?” she whispered.

TAG> Maverick

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Kris » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:25 am

As she approached the job board, Lucy heard whispering, something about a scene...and she was a bit confused. It had something to do with the orphanage, and she always enjoyed investigating rumors about something. So she made her way down the darkened streets and came apon a dimmly lit building.

Eyeing the building, she figured she may as well go inside, it might be a warm place to stay for the night. Tugging her coat tighter around her, she went up to the door and pushed it open slightly. As she peaked inside, it seemed quiet...and she wondered if anyone would see her at the door. Lu even got an inkling that perhaps someone was looking for a pilot in there...

Tag whoever
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Postby Saint » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:38 am

“You Maverick?” she demanded, just as he was about to speak,

“Own The Monarch now? She’s me old ship. I can fix jus’ bout anythin’ broke on The Old Girl. You lookin’ for someone who knows her or is this the wrong place?”

She looked down at her feet for a moment.

“Please?” she whispered.

The old man was looking at this young woman in his doorway. He could tell she was lost in her own way. Almost like the stories he heard about involving River Tam. "I am he." He went up to her and put an arm around her and lead her to the table. "We have plenty of vittles for you, young lady. As far as the ship, we'll talk about that in due time. Just eat up now."

He looked over at Sam, "I think we've got the fixer, Sam. Now all we need is a pilot, and we might get to the Black."

Night came, as they were feeding the young lady, and he saw another lady come into the doorway. "Door's always open, young lady. Take your seat at the table." As the kids saw the three women sitting at the table, one of the older kids asked him plainly...

"Granpa, you going into the Black?" The young boy had a worried look on his face.

"Yeah, son. Gotta make good on Xian's promise to keep you kids fed. Jennifer will be by tomorrow to take care of things. Everything will be shiny, like always..."

TAG - Ladies and any other visitors :)
Saint
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Kris » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:58 am

Following along behind, Lu had caught something being said. As she sat herself down, she looked at everyone and started to mumble. Something coheriant did come out though, "I can pilot a ship." She looked up and down the table trying to smile. However, the expierence she had just gone through prevented her from doing so, she had more of a blank expression on her face.
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Return to Firefly: Monarch