A bit of help please...

Help area for questions or problems with this forum, the SLA or other issues. No bashing or flaming allowed. If you do have a serious issue you may discuss it here but let's be civil.

A bit of help please...

Postby Fishy-Chan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:28 pm

Im super new to this... as it is this is my first post here on these boards... I trolled around a bit before I signed up thought lol... I cant seem to find it but is there a post explaing what exactly Sim {simming? sim-ing?] is and how would I partake?

Ive done several html chats in chat rooms and such and even own my own chat room... but well this is a different bag of beans... if anyone could tell me or point me in the right direction that would be wonderful...

thank you!

Fishy
Fishy-Chan
Officer Candidate
Officer Candidate

Re: A bit of help please...

Postby Hamp » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:34 pm

Fishy-Chan wrote:Im super new to this... as it is this is my first post here on these boards... I trolled around a bit before I signed up thought lol... I cant seem to find it but is there a post explaing what exactly Sim {simming? sim-ing?] is and how would I partake?

Ive done several html chats in chat rooms and such and even own my own chat room... but well this is a different bag of beans... if anyone could tell me or point me in the right direction that would be wonderful...

thank you!

Fishy

It's best to think of SIMMing as simply telling a story along with other players who are in on it. You have a character that you created in whatever SIM you choose, and there are bound to be others on that SIM as well. The CO/GM is elected to help run it, give direction, while the players provide the characters and write what their characters do...within reason. Each SIM is different, and each CO/GM has a different style, but most people on a SIM will help out.
--Lieutenant Hamp Walter
Chief Engineer
USS Pegasus

Lewis "Lou" Thomas, Starfury Pilot
Trinidad Station
Hamp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Foxy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:41 am

This website is the forum belonging to a group called the SLA (Starfleet Legacy Alliance), although you may have noticed we have plenty of other sims in addition to Star Trek ones.

If you go to the group's home site, there are loads of help guides and explanations on there. The ones particularly useful for your question are here http://www.slasims.com/simming/.

Just click on the link and have a read. If you've still got some questions after that, pop back here and someone will be able to help.

Thanks, Azaria!
Foxy
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Chris Stern » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:14 am

for a slightly more advanced look at 'playing on a forum' I can recommend...

http://wiki.tf-575.com/index.php?title=Play_by_forum

It's written by a guy in a friendly group, which has a few of it's own over here too. The writer is heavily prejudiced against play by email and the like, but the core of posting conventions is probably useful.

The main thing though, as was hinted at earlier... get in contact with the person running the sim you are interested in, realise that you like this person and that they are friendly and approachable, then talk to them about what they can expect and perhaps even offer them the chance to help.

If you do 'muck up' as you seem to be worried about doing, only the very worst of sim leaders are going to throw tantrums, and I honestly don't think there are any of them here. The worst that can happen is that you'll get a friendly message from one of your new mates suggesting things you might want to change.

So.. dive in, give it a chance.. I am confident you'll like it :)
resigned
Chris Stern
Captain
Captain

Return to Help