Help me find a sim?

Help area for questions or problems with this forum, the SLA or other issues. No bashing or flaming allowed. If you do have a serious issue you may discuss it here but let's be civil.

Help me find a sim?

Postby Latimere » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm looking to join a Star Trek sim but I'm not sure where to find one. It's been a few years since I've been a member of one but I would really like to join a chatroom based sim. My ideal day would be a Sunday, sometime after 7pm EST. You can contact me at Latimere@aol.com.
Fingers crossed, someone will read this and I can get back in the game!!!
Latimere

Re: Help me find a sim?

Postby Warp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:04 pm

You might look at the USS Lionheart. It sims on Sundays at 8:00 EST. If you'd like to talk to the CO and XO before applying, drop me a private message and I'll get you in touch with them. :) Otherwise, you can find the Lionheart (or "Leo" as it's affectionately called by its crew) on the join page: http://www.slasims.com/join.html!
Admiral James B. "Warp" Mitchell
Commanding Officer, USS Potemkin, NCC-76927-C
Warp Out =/\=
Warp
Engineer At Heart
Engineer At Heart

Postby SLAJaime » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Am sure the leo would welcome more crew but yes as warp said i would speak with the xo and CO both are nice people and I can tell you as a member of the crew we are friendly
If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

]
SLA's very own insane Blonde
SLAJaime
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Tavey » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:30 pm

I will echo what has been said before, and will let the Boss of the Leo know. *smile* I hope to see you around!

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby cdx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:45 pm

I have followed the Ark Royal missions since early this year and am curious about the former-SLA USS America independent sim. Some SLA sims do not appear to adequately promote themselves here at tenforward; some even use their own forums almost exclusively. Still, any trek-based sim, SLA or other, is free to recruit me at this point. I want to not only join and write for a sim, but grow it too.
Ensign Tyr, First Assistant Chief Engineering Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer Zisa, Assistant Chief Medical Officer
Lieutenant Junior Grade Coeus, Assistant Chief Science Officer
Cadet Boudica, First Assistant Chief Helm Officer

Starship Nightingale - Star Trek: Into the Darkening Tide
I always welcome public comment on my biographies.

I am on hiatus from April 2011.
cdx
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Chris Stern » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:18 am

what sort of sim are you interested in... I get trek, but I for instance won't join any that run by SMS or Email because I personally don't think they give as good a value for time as forums (where you can read threads more easily, see avatars as you read, link and paste images into text etc)

I know the Oddessy on this board runs a sim following the new film, but what era interests you...
What post do you want, not every sim has things like starfighter pilots or even marines...
A little more info and I am sure we can find you a sim. :)
resigned
Chris Stern
Captain
Captain

Postby cdx » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:29 am

What position do I want?

My first choice would be a private spacer, who is not only a civilian but not government employed at all. He could operate alone or as part of a non-governmental group. SS Tailchaser, an independent chat sim, fits this perfectly - except they started IC using federation funding through the Frontier Survey and Research Project. That's close to what I want; but it doesn't work for me because I want my private spacer character, or the IC organization he's a part of, to *entirely* pull its own weight - especially in the beginning!

My second choice would be an engineer or scientist in Starfleet. This one will be fine for now so that I can get my feet wet.

What era interests me? I know, USS Odyessy looks cool! But I prefer 2296 or later in the original timeline.

I agree, Chris. Forums make a great simming venue because newcomers don't have to login, or register, to follow the sim; and it looks and flows a lot better than the usual mailing list archives. OTOH, with a little extra effort, a PBEM or chat sim can more than pull its own weight for adequate exposure and recruiting.

For example, some Cochrane Fleet sim members used to post full chat logs of their weekly meets (though none recently). This was hugely helpful in gauging how active a sim was, who regularly participated, *where* they met, and identifying the vibe and style of the simmers and the story they constructed. Likewise, E-mail sims could promote themselves better if *every* member carefully named and grouped messages by OOC mission number and IC date. Messages entitled 'mission 6, day 8' and grouped as one coherent thread, for example, are adequate. That way a non-member who sees those messages in the mailing list archive can easily find the post where the current mission starts, and quickly get up to speed on the e-mail sim's current situation. The next best strategy for either sim is to post monthly or quarterly 'current status' or 'mission to date' summaries of the sim *here at tenforward*. In either case, the faster an outsider can figure out what's going on - and the more he can learn by just observing - the more likely he'll join the simmulation.

But what is SMS?

I know that some SLA sims use Simm Management System 2 for their webpages. But do you mean, Chris, that some sims are run by 'SMS' *instead of* forums, e-mail or chat? Exodus Fleet also runs chat, e-mail, forum, and SMS simmulations. Could 'SMS' instead refer to Short Message Service, ie. phone text messaging? How does an SMS-run sim work?
Last edited by PraxJarvin on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post contained links to non-SLA sims. Links to non-SLA sims are only permitted in the recruiting section

cdx
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Chris Stern » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:51 am

aye there are some places out there that JUST run their games by SMS (sim management system), some people who eve swear by it, fleets who insist upon it. As i say, really not my thing, but as i say i guess that it very much a personal call.

if you're looking for an independant ship in a trek universe then I am afriad you're probably a bit stuffed, especially if you're looking for a good one. Most of the better types tend to be firefly-esque rip offs, and if you're going to play that why not play it properly? (incidentally the Monarch here comes highly recommended). If you don't fancy that then you probably haven't watched the series... and shame on you :P

Again as a matter of personal opinion I have seen absolutely no Trek independent trader games that lasted long enough to be interesting. The vast majority of them fall down for lack of direction, or lack of constraint on characters.. too many people wanting to be something really weird/ un disciplined now they are away form the structure of a trek sim???

On the other hand there is the 'darkening tide' game here which combines some non-military with the military trek that you are more used to.. you could give that a look.

For a main line Engineer post I couldn't actually think of somewhere off the top of my head, it's a post that tends to get filled fairly soon into a game because of our keeness for the tech side of things (yup I play one or two out there)..

I'll have a look see what I can see :)
resigned
Chris Stern
Captain
Captain

Postby cdx » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Chris, I got your PM. I'd prefer to work up to a senior staff position. Come to think of it, SS Tailchaser doesn't look that bad after all. I've never seen Firefly, but I'll look for an SLA sim as well. Thank you for your help.

cdx
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Imrahil » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:58 pm

CDX. You should check out the SLA Monthly popsted up in the Announcements section. THere hasn't been one for a while, and doesn't seem like one's coming out anytime soon. but it's very helpful for finding out about sims. They even talk about some of the players from the sims, its interesting.
Imrahil
Cadet 2nd Year
Cadet 2nd Year

Postby cdx » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:37 am

Thank you, Imrahll. I'll check it out.

cdx
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Tavey » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:22 am

Hello hello,

May I suggest contacting kerriganmorgan via PM? Kerri is our recruiting chair, and will have the best idea of where you will find a Trek sim to suit your needs.

Also - For chatroom based Sims, as you indicated on your original post, here are the names to PM to get a feel for the style.

USS Potemkin - Warp or PraxJarvin
USS Lionheart - Delrune or christine applegate
Starbase 27 - Rexan
USS Mercutio - CptStaceyTemplar
Outpost Cousteau - RKClenner

Good luck, and hope to see you around!

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Return to Help