odd little question

Help area for questions or problems with this forum, the SLA or other issues. No bashing or flaming allowed. If you do have a serious issue you may discuss it here but let's be civil.

odd little question

Postby Tavey » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:00 am

Who pays for the SLA webpages et al?

I have been wondering for a while, because I would hate to see this all disappear for lack of funds. It is big enough that somewhere money must be moving.

I apologise if this is an inappropriate question for this sim.

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Warp » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:28 pm

That's an interesting question.

In the old days, Seth paid for it all. (Hosting bills were $50 a month towards the end -- he gave the group a lot more than just his time!) Some people did send him a bit of money at least once, but it wasn't a very significant amount.

After he passed away, a few of us chipped in to pay for chunks of hosting time a few months at a time. Then, some fundraising was done, and that paid for two years of hosting (with a lower-cost web host), with a good amount left over. The two years ends this month, and we appear to have enough to go another year or so from that initial fundraiser.

We're probably going to renew our current hosting contract for another year. Domain names (we're down to just a few of those) come up for renewal annually. Even with all of those things considered, we should still be in good shape for at least the next 12 months.

As the year progresses it may be a good idea to do some more fundraising, though. It seems to me that it's best to have a surplus at all times, just to make sure we don't run into any issues. (Years back, a billing error caused us to lose our website and a bunch of other things. We don't want to get into such a situation again.) I do try to keep backups of the site and the boards, although we should have a system in place for doing them regularly.

The Finance Chair (elected) is responsible for fundraising, and the SLA Treasurer (appointed) "holds the pursestrings" as it were. At present, T.C. Abernathy is holding a portion of the SLA's money for us, and Jean-Luc Morimame has another portion.
Admiral James B. "Warp" Mitchell
Commanding Officer, USS Potemkin, NCC-76927-C
Warp Out =/\=
Warp
Engineer At Heart
Engineer At Heart

Postby Saint » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:37 pm

I guess she saved me a question that I would've asked on the council string. But yes, as he said. T.C. and Jeano are the holders of the money needed. Although a surplus wouldn't be a bad thing.

And heck, I'm inclined to see if there's way to keep a nice surplus. As in easy fund raising. :)
Saint
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Tavey » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:06 pm

Thank you.

"Oh Bother." Said The Borg. "We've assimilated Pooh."
Tavey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Foxy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:34 pm

I know the SLA has an online shop - I myself am the proud owner of an SLA mug, but can someone plug the URL on here, just to advertise it a bit more?

Also, would we consider signing the SLA up to affliate programs? I'd be happy to do all my Amazon purchases via an SLA link and trust me, this Christmas that would have come to a fair slice!

Thanks, Azaria!
Foxy
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Return to Help