Challenge: Time Travel

A PBEM sim taking place on a Prometheus Class vessel. The cutting edge in Federation technology with a good sized crew and a great deal of excitement.

Moderator: [Sim] Zealous - Hosts

Challenge: Time Travel

Postby Zania Jaarda » Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:18 am

Since Alex will, in character, become one of the Zealous' XOs during the promotions at the end of this mission, I thought it'd be fun to create this challenge for him.

Now, before you go getting a headache, temporal fluxes, anomalies, loops, and travel can always make for a good storyline - especially if they have a good plot, gripping drama, and a nice blend of action, mystery, suspense, and humor.

Here is your challenge:

Create a storyline where the Zealous becomes involved in some temporal aspect. (I.E. Traveling through time, meeting someone from the past or future, etc.) Again, the sky is the limit, so let those imaginations run rampant! Let's see what you guys can come up with!
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Zania Jaarda » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:28 pm

Since nobody's come up with one yet, I'll submit an idea that I started working on, but I haven't totally figured out everything yet. Here goes!

On a mission into an unexplored section of the galaxy, the Zealous encounters another Prometheus class starship. It is just floating in space, with no signs of power or life support.

The hull is filled with scorch marks indicative of if the ship had been in a major battle and came out on the loosing side. Unfortunately, the marks blacken both the name and registry of the ship, making it impossible to identify her.

Scanners do detect humaniod remains. Whatever crew was on board probably died valiently, in the heat of battle. Klingons and Andorians would be honored to die that way, insuring their place among the elite warriors in the afterlife.

This is one mystery, however, that cannot go unresolved. The crew of the Zealous owe it to the families of the victims to learn the truth behind what happened to the ship and, if possible, bring those who committed such an autrocious act to justice.

Worse yet is the challenge that an away team would face when going over to the dead ship. Secctions of the hull have been breached, and there are no forcefields active. Scanners are indicating that environmental systems are non-functional, which means that there is no breathable atmosphere. On top of things, it seems as if there is no power on the ship, so there would be no gravity and retrieving information and logs from the computers would be difficult, if not impossible.

It is a challenge that the Zealous crew takes, none the less.

Donning EVAs, an away team beams over to the dead ship to conduct their investigation. The fact that it is a Prometheus class ship makes it easier for them to find their way around.

They first come across the Lounge, where they are stunned to find the bodies of Quamada, Vin'ti, and Ensign Rehu, among other familiar faces. They are all floating lifelessly in the absence of gravity.

Upon seeing this, the away team instantly realizes that the ship they are on is the Zealous. In order to search the ship faster, and to determine if (by some rare chance) someone could still be alive, they decide to split up and scour the vessel.

Again and again, the search yields the same results - lifeless bodies of fellow Zealous crew members, but also a few curious clues.

Scorch marks within the Science Labs are indicative of an explosion - they're too wide spread and intense to be from phaser fire. On the walls of the corridors are scorch marks that are obviously from phaser blasts, which meant that the crew fought to the bitter end.

Worse yet, some of the corridors bear massive indentations and scratch marks. Either something boarded the Zealous, or Jake Sjet transformed into the Beast and managed to kill everyone on board before they could restrain him.

Considering the fact that neither Jake nor Zania can be found, it lends creedence to that possibility.

With some effort, one of the away team manages to rig a portable power supply on the ship's computer, allowing for download of logs and other pertinent data that might prove useful in solving this mystery.

The only problem is thus: How does one know if the actions they are taking will alter the timeline and prevent the deaths of the crew, or would it put them on the path to their own horrible demise?

What could have happened to the Zealous to result in this tragedy? How do they escape from this temporal loop? What could have happened to Jake and Zania? Why weren't they on board the Zealous? Could they be somehow responsible for what happened?
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Jake Sjet » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:19 pm

Sullivan

While doing some research for Starfleet on a alien planet deep in heart of a nebula Ti’ana finds something rather shocking.

Her great, great, great grandmother. A Sullivan all the way from 1912 Ireland, or at least the skeletal remains of her. Tests also show that she died of a simple bacterial infection, which at the time was a fatal disease running rampant through Dublin and other cities and towns in Northern and Ireland.
But how her remains get all the way out here?

What's even more shocking is a piece of paper in her pocket, scrawled roughly with a simple message and three signatures.

“HELP US! 17/10/1916 Jake, Ti’ana and Murdock”

It is at this point all three of them suddenly disappear.

1915 Dublin City Ireland.

Captain Corso Sjet, a officer in His Majesties Army comes across three strangely dressed individuals wandering the out skirts of the city. Almost immediately he jumps to the conclusion their ‘Colonials’ AKA the Americans as one of them seems to be holding “One of those new automatic jobs, a Winchester correct?”

What the man, or the ancestor of Jake Sjet, doesn’t know is that the three individuals are from the far future. How they got there is a mystery, and as for getting back…

The crew o nthe Zealous find a way to travel back in time but miss a year and end up in the year 1916, a few months after our accidental time travels stepped into the world of the powder keg called Ireland. Finding the missing crew members isn’t hard but getting them out might be…

As all three, along with Molly O’Sullivan (AKA Ti’ana Greatest granny) are being held along with 15 other ‘Rebels’ (The founders of the IRA).

Can the crew persuade Corso Sjet, or in fact the Colonial governor to release the three of them and the others? Or by doing that will the future be altered?
And more importantly, why are they here at this point in time during WW1?

And who brought the three of them back in the first place?
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Zania Jaarda » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:18 pm

That storyline could literally be set on a powderkeg! That has the markings of an action-packed storyline! I can't wait to see it!

Anyone else have some ideas? Don't be afraid to play around! That's the fun of this!
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:42 am

Yeah I just spoted the reference to Ireland in Ti'ana new funky bio and remembered seeing a bio pic on the founder of the IRA in 1913 Ireland.
This, and an incredible amount of coffee gave birth to that...what acan I say?

Jake Sjet

Postby Taneth » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:06 am

know what I can say? so much for giving up coffee, ey Jake?
If the apocalypse comes, I sure hope it comes in the form of Threadfall because I am SO getting a dragon.
Taneth
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:32 pm

Give up Coffee...NEVER! I wiull drink it on the berachs, slurp it in the streets! Give me coffee, or give me decaf!

Jake Sjet

Postby Ducane » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:18 pm

"We are the Borg, you will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

The sound of the Borg came over the conn, the viewscreen turning an eerie green. Captain Ja'arda and Commander Ducane on the bridge. The Borg fire a weapon, sending our shields to nothing. The Captain orders the Multi-Vector assault mode, but too late, the Borg have beamed aboard, and destroyed the operational controls. The crew fights valiantly, firing at the Borg the bridge crew keeping the Borg away from their systems. Ja'arda is occupied with firing at one Borg, and another comes up behind her, arm extended ready to assimilate. Alex spins round and lunges himself at the Captain, throwing himself and the Borg to the ground, as the Captain turns round, all she sees is two thin tubes piercing Alex's neck.

"Abandon Ship!" she orders. Alex looks up at the Captain, his skin pale with the distinctive Borg implants now growing inside of him, and says, "I'll be back."

At that moment, the assimilation is complete, and Alex slumps to the ground.

~~~ Swish ~~~

No Borg. No Destruction, and No Alex.

In through the doors, comes Sjet, and he cries out, "Where's Alex?"

"Who?", is all that people reply. The existence of Alexander Ducane is erased from history, the only one who knows anything is Jake Sjet. To him, everything disappeared, to everyone else, nothing happened. He must convince the Captain, and the crew that Alex needs to be saved from time, lest their entire future be at risk.

Meanwhile, Alex is aboard the USS Relativity, Captain, in the 29th Century. Scanning time, he and his crew find an odd temporal incursion involving the Zealous.

They travel to the location to ascertain what happened. Alex meets the crew, and doesn't recognise them. He meets Jake, and does recognise him, from the future. Jake recognises Alex, but from the past. The two collaborate to find out what happened, and why Alex's assimilation leads to a significant altercation in the timeline.

Can they repair the timeline? Can they save the Zealous from the Borg?

Alex Ducane

[ USS Zealous ] - [ Commander :: First Officer ]
[ Starfleet Legacy Alliance Administrator ]
[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Zania Jaarda » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:57 pm

Another fantastic storyline! Great job, Alex! I can't wait to see how these play out.

Anyone else have some more ideas that they'd want to submit for this challenge?
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Return to USS Zealous