May Topic of the Month - The "Face" of Television

A PBEM sim taking place on a Prometheus Class vessel. The cutting edge in Federation technology with a good sized crew and a great deal of excitement.

Moderator: [Sim] Zealous - Hosts

May Topic of the Month - The "Face" of Television

Postby Zania Jaarda » Fri May 07, 2004 8:53 am

Television has been part of our everyday lives since the 1940s. In recent years, programming has changed. Gone are most of the traditional dramas and sitcoms, in favor of reality shows.

What is the attraction of the reality shows? Why do you think the networks are so intent on producing them, instead of returning to what had worked for so long?

Do you think this trend, with the reality shows, will last? Or is it just a fad that will fizzle out as soon as the majority of the public get bored with it, and the ratings drop?

If you think it will last, what are the factors that lead you to that conclusion?
Last edited by Zania Jaarda on Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Taneth » Fri May 07, 2004 9:42 am

with our ever more paranoid culture these days, reality is no longer seen outside schools homes and workplaces. that's not much. gone are the days when you could see reality on the streets. "a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet" has been replaced with "don't talk to strangers, they might attack you" and the streets are just a way to get from point A to point B as fast as possible. Social encounters are only at home, work, or school unless you already know the person you meet. until the old way returns, reality tv shows will be society's only other way of getting to know new people in a non-fiction setting.
If the apocalypse comes, I sure hope it comes in the form of Threadfall because I am SO getting a dragon.
Taneth
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Zania Jaarda » Thu May 13, 2004 1:41 pm

Interesting perspective!

Television, like movies, is meant to provide entertainment - drama, action, comedy, etc. Unfortunately, all of these take money to produce, sometimes a lot of it depending on the actors involved, their salaries, and the popularity of the show.

Reality shows, like Survivor, etc, don't cost nearly as much to make. They're working out deals to have the sponsors pick up the tabs for hotel stays for the contestants, flights, etc. The sell of the rest of the airtime not only helps to pay for the prize that the winner gets after all of those weeks, but also helps the network turn a nifty profit.

Anyone else have ideas on this?
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Lucasausems » Sun May 23, 2004 3:58 am

Well, first of all...

STOP WITH THE COMMERCIALS!!!!!

They are so annoying. Bah.
As for reality shows, hate them, can't stand them. I believe the world would be a better place without them. In the beginning when they first were created, it was new, they even had a certain amount of humour in them.
But now, what was interesting a few years ago, now is old and boring. Therefore people keep trying to find ways to keep reality shows interesting. To the point of where you start to wonder how it is possible that the human race has survived all these millenia's.
I mean, now you've got shows where someones mother-in-law comes to visit, a bunch of people that are being dropped in a barn. Temptation Island, where a couple has to prove if there love is real and resist the temptation to have sex with that extremely good looking guys or girls that are flirting with them.
Hello?? Why do people even want to do this?!!! What's there to gain from it!! Yes money, whoa, now that's important. Puuhhhlease....

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Jack » Sun May 23, 2004 8:07 pm

The best reality show is still Big Brother which starts a new series over here this Friday. I have to admit that I'm a total addict when it comes to that show. And the reason they are so popular is partly because we all like to snoop on other peoples lives even those who do not care to admit it. After all when you really get into a show you forget that it is actors playing parts and that everything has been scripted. For that half hour or hour you suspend belief and the people are real. With reality shows it is real. Or at least as real as you are going to get. The human race has gossiped since we first started talking and will continue to do so for as long as we are around. Reality shows are just a part of this.
Image Image
Jack
Admiral
Admiral

Postby Zania Jaarda » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:50 pm

As usual, I'm removing the sticky on this, but feel free to continue to discuss this subject!
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Jake Sjet » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:21 pm

Big Borther is big bother, its worthless. If I want to see a group of people drink until their faceless and make out in public, I'll go to work and do work..and see the same thing!
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Return to USS Zealous