March Topic of the Month: The Passion

A PBEM sim taking place on a Prometheus Class vessel. The cutting edge in Federation technology with a good sized crew and a great deal of excitement.

Moderator: [Sim] Zealous - Hosts

March Topic of the Month: The Passion

Postby Zania Jaarda » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:54 am

We'll try current events one more time to see how things go. The last one didn't get that many responses. Next month, we should be back with a sci-fi related topic.

Movie actor Mel Gibson ("Lethal Weapon," "The Patriot," "Braveheart," etc) has spent years and millions of dollars to create his new movie, "The Passion of the Christ." He is a professed conservative Catholic, and felt called to create this movie.

Even while it was being filmed, this picture occasionally managed to get into the news. The most notable time was when the star of the film, Jim Caviezel, was struck by lightning while filming a scene.

Just prior to it's release, there was a huge amount of debate over anti-Semitism. Many feared that the movie painted Jews in a negative light, and would strike up a new attacks against them. Other debates include the violence, as well as its accuracy to the Bible.

On opening day, one viewer had a heart attack during the most intense scene. She was taken to the hospital, where she died a short time later.

With that being said:

Has anyone already gone to see the movie? If you have, what were your thoughts on it? Do you think that some of the critics were right, and the film is anti-Semetic?

If you haven't seen the movie, do you plan to? How will the news reports you've heard affect how you view the movie? Will it make you watch it with a more critical eye, trying to find some of the issues (like anti-Semetism)?

More importantly, great strides have been made to heal the rift between the Catholic and Jewish religions. Do you think this movie will harm that relationship, and basically put both back at square one again?
Last edited by Zania Jaarda on Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Ti'ana » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:59 am

I hven't seen it, everyone I know who has keeps telling me not too, that I will be offended by it. I take their word for it, they know me more than well enough lol
Lt. Cmdr. Ti'ana Sullivan
XO, USS Zealous
Manheim Fleet Captain
Ti'ana
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Zania Jaarda » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:42 am

I'm removing the sticky, but this topic will remain unlocked if any of you want to continue discussing it. ;-)
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Return to USS Zealous