Are we linear time or non-lineaer time?

A PBEM sim taking place on a Prometheus Class vessel. The cutting edge in Federation technology with a good sized crew and a great deal of excitement.

Moderator: [Sim] Zealous - Hosts

Are we linear time or non-lineaer time?

Postby Melissa Richards » Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:17 am

Hi :)

Here's a fun question for anyone willing to answer. I was going over the info and rules area again and it suddenly dawned on me, is this sim linear or non-linear time?

I'm kind of facing that situation right now. Melissa is in sickbay yet, Allen Chi is waiting for her in his quarters to show up. Can I move ahead with the post to Allen or, must I wait until the situation in sickbay is resolved and then go meet up with him?

I've played in both types of sims and I find the non-linear time ones if done properly to be better because no one gets stuck waiting for another character to respond.

Thoughts anyone?

Marissa :)
Melissa Richards

Postby llbirdnow1 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:22 am

I think Jalovel's okay now, if just a bit mental. So I don't see why Melissa couldn't head off to do the next task of the day.
And I'd vote for linear timelines because they are much easier to keep track of (unless you are doing occasional flashbacks).
But that's just my two cents worth.
llbirdnow1

Postby Zania Jaarda » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:09 pm

For the most part, it seems that everyone posts according to an linear timeline. As Waverly had noted, there is very little jumping back and forth with the exception of flashbacks, or unless a storyline requires it (like a temporal rift a la "Groundhog's Day").
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Melissa Richards » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:40 pm

What do you do in a situation though when you're waiting for another player to respond and they don't? Just ignore that post and move on?

Melissa Richards

Postby Zania Jaarda » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:12 pm

I think it depends on the situation.

If you know it's someone who posts actively, and they've suddenly stopped, it's best to give them the benefit of a few days (3, at minimum) before moving on. More than likely, they could be a student and wrapped up in homework, or experienced internet connection or computer problems.

There are a few who only post once per week. For them, you may have to give it a few extra days to see when they post, and if it contains a reply to your character.

Of course, there are a few who can sometimes overlook a post that they have to reply to. This is usually completely unintentional. I've had that unfortunate experience myself, but only due to the fact that I was not getting all of the e-mail from the mailstring.

Basically, it's up to you. If you'd really like to interact with the person and they haven't replied, try working in another post as a gentle reminder. If you don't want to or can't wait, you're also more than welcome to move on.

Hope that helps! :wink:
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Allen Chi » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:22 pm

My advice, is try not to force yourself in to a situation in which you MUST wait for a reply from that character before moving on. Depending on how often you post, you may find yourself wanting to move on while the other character's player has yet to respond.

In my opinion, I believe that the Zealous is a linear sim with the freedom to move a little in to non-linear time. For example my last post was perhaps several hours ahead of the Sickbay situation. I figure that as long as the time difference isn't huge and effecting many players, its ok to jump ahead by a few hours or even a day or two.

Also, I'm pretty sure that this sim is international, so time differences have to be taken in to account as well as jobs, school, sports and what not.

:o
Allen Chi

Postby Melissa Richards » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:14 am

Yeah true, time always makes a BIG difference. I'm so used to tags and non-linear games it's going to take me some getting used to but I'll manage. You all seem like a fun group so far with an interesting ship.

Btw Allen, when are you on for a possible JP? That could make things a little easier.

Melissa Richards

Postby Allen Chi » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:42 pm

I'm on PST time, I've got rugby until 5pm usually, but I'll probably be on anytime after that.

I use MSN, AIM and YIM, but I can see that you use AIM and YIm, my AIM isn't allowing me to add people at the moment so you'll have to add me.

sn0w8lind <-- thats my name for both AIM and YIM
Allen Chi

Postby Lucasausems » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:40 pm

How about the folk with only msn????
Will we ever have the chance to talk with such a great writer in real life???

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Allen Chi » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:14 pm

8)
Don't worry, i have MSN as well ;)
Allen Chi

Great writers??

Postby Melissa Richards » Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:23 am

(giggle) Which Great writer are you referring to?

Melissa Richards

Postby Ducane » Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:29 am

Actually, just a note.... There was a "problem" with the mailstring, where all the posts got queued up and delivered at the same time. Because they were delivered at the same time, the recieved time on mail clients was the same, and hence they lost the order that they were sent in.

I experience this problem and had to jump backwards and forwards through posts to make sense of it.

Alex Ducane

[ USS Zealous ] - [ Commander :: First Officer ]
[ Starfleet Legacy Alliance Administrator ]
[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:12 am

AH, "Old Faithful" strikes again, that mail strings ben eating bugs since I got here in August...that was a real long time ago...I think...
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet
A puppy that goes 'yap' and flips over

Postby Ducane » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:51 am

Perhaps me and Taneth should program a new one. A better one... especially for the SLA, it's not too difficult.

Alex Ducane

[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Zania Jaarda » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:04 am

I'm sure if you guys did, Seth would be indebted to you for life!

You guys would certainly know of all of the problems. Then again, with a mailstring as active as ours, we're bound to run into more of the issues than other sims which are not nearly as active (certain people not getting all e-mails, queuing problems, complete outages, etc).
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Lucasausems » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:16 am

Oehhh,don't remind me please, it was very annoying, luckily mine seem to be solved.

And by great writers I mean just about everyone on the Zealous :wink:

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Melissa Richards » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:25 am

I agree :) We have some very good writers here and that was gratifying for me to see as someone new. I kind of took a chance not sure what I was getting into and it seems to have worked out well.

I guess you guys are stuck with me for awhile

:lol:
Melissa Richards

Postby Ti'ana » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:35 am

could be worse, we could be stuck with jake in a dress trying to counsel people! :mrgreen:
Lt. Cmdr. Ti'ana Sullivan
XO, USS Zealous
Manheim Fleet Captain
Ti'ana
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Zania Jaarda » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:46 am

ROTFL!!!! Ti'ana, you just gave me a mental image that has me laughing so hard that my sides hurt! :lol:
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Lucasausems » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:50 am

Jake in a dress trying to counsil people??
I think that Jake the counsilor would be in need of a counsilor himself then....

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Allen Chi » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:09 pm

Yeah, jake AND the poor people who had to go to him!
Allen Chi

Postby Ducane » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:01 pm

Ahhh, why are we picking on Jake?

Alex Ducane

[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Jake Sjet » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:10 pm

Yes why me? Don't make me bring out the Construct! He's been sitting in his book long enough and I think the newbies would like to see him....right?
Ensign Keth Soban, Medic on the USS Legacy

Fellow Crew Injured By Keth: X

"I will eat your soul :3"
Jake Sjet

Postby Ducane » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:17 pm

I think you should whip him out for a few hours, show them a bit of vengeance and then pop it back to the depths of your subconscious.

Alex Ducane

[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Allen Chi » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:50 pm

Oooooh no, not again!
Allen Chi

Next

Return to USS Zealous