February Topic of the Month: The Superbowl

A PBEM sim taking place on a Prometheus Class vessel. The cutting edge in Federation technology with a good sized crew and a great deal of excitement.

Moderator: [Sim] Zealous - Hosts

February Topic of the Month: The Superbowl

Postby Zania Jaarda » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:54 pm

Okay, this time we're going to try and do something in terms of more current events.

The Superbowl is always a huge event here in the US, as it pits the two best football teams against each other. It's a huge spectacle, filled with celebrities (for both the pre-game events and halftime show), although some people tend to watch to see what creative commercials were created.

This past year, something happened within the halftime show that has everyone talking. During their live performance, Justin Timberlake ripped off a piece of Janet Jackson's clothing, exposing her right breast on national TV. Timberlake claims that it was a costume error, and Jackson has noted that CBS, the NFL, etc were not aware of the changes the two performers had made.

As a result, the FCC is up in arms, threatening to fine MTV, CBS and all CBS affiliate stations. CBS has turned around and is threatening to ban both Jackson, a scheduled presenter, and Timberlake, an award nominee and scheduled performer, during the Grammy's. Additionally, CBS will no longer allow MTV to produce another Superbowl halftime show, despite the fact that CBS owns MTV.

What do you guys think? Did they plan for their halftime performance to be so revealing? Or was it really a costume mistake?

Also, what was your favorite moment during the game? What about your favorite commercial?
Last edited by Zania Jaarda on Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Lucasausems » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:07 am

First off all, what the FCC, CBS and the NFL?

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Zania Jaarda » Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:34 am

FCC = Federal Communications Commission

Basically, they are the watchdogs of the broadcasting industry. They set the regulations over what is and is not acceptable on regular broadcast stations. If a station violates a rule, they impose a fine.

CBS = Columbia Broadcasting System

The ID of the station which carried the Superbowl, named after the company that originally owned the station (Columbia, most famous for it's phonographs and records/albums), and has recently merged with Viacom.

NFL = National Football League

This league is the governing body which sets rules for all teams playing within the league. The teams play against each other in divisions from September through December. The teams with the best records go into the playoffs. This eventually leads to the Superbowl, which is the championship game.

Hope that helps!
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Lucasausems » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:16 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

I just realized, They don't broadcast the Superbowl in the Netherlands, so I haven't seen it.
But if it's true that Timberlake did something like that, I'm sure it wasn't intended to. If it was, then he is now labeled a dirty man...

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Zania Jaarda » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:02 am

Well, if you didn't get a chance to see it when it happened, I'm sure that it's hit the news stations in your area.

From what I've heard, Janet Jackson has just now been banned from the Grammy's. Do you think that CBS should have had the right to do that, in light of what happened at the Superbowl? Or should the station just keep their hands off and let the entertainment industry decide?
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Markus Stratton » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:26 am

Seeing as we don't really get coverage of the Superbowl here in England, and if we did, it would be at about 3am, I feel that they might be taking too much action against Jackson and Timberlake. It's not as though it was deliberate, and even so, programmes are screened that contain far worse, before the watershed. I think they should just let it all blow over and make sure a repeat isn't forthcoming.
Markus Stratton

Postby Lucasausems » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:23 am

Now there is thought!

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Zania Jaarda » Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:20 pm

I'm removing the sticky, but this topic will remain unlocked if any of you want to continue discussing it. :wink:
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Return to USS Zealous