December Topic of the Month: Is the end of Startrek near??

A PBEM sim taking place on a Prometheus Class vessel. The cutting edge in Federation technology with a good sized crew and a great deal of excitement.

Moderator: [Sim] Zealous - Hosts

December Topic of the Month: Is the end of Startrek near??

Postby Lucasausems » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:02 am

Hi,

As we all know Startrek Enterprise is the only Startrek Series in progress right now. And after that, there will probably be made movies out of it.
But I was wondering, could this series be the last Startrek Series ever to be created??? Because we've been about through all the possible stories.
We've got 3 series for exploring space, one for how the Federation reacts with war, and now the beginning of the Federation itself.
What's left? Life on a colony? That doesn't sound very Startrekky to me does it?
So I ask you, will this be the end of Startrek????
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Zania Jaarda » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:21 am

As long as there are ideas out there, and as long as people have imaginations, I don't believe we'll ever run out of stories to tell within the Star Trek realm.

There is a saying in television: "Everything old is new again."

Some of the concepts of current television dramas, comedies, etc., are just a re-telling of past ideas, but repackaged to make it look like something bold and new which hasn't been done before.

The thing to remember is that we've had a new Star Trek series/episode on the air, in syndication, every year since the late 1980s with the debut of The Next Generation. That's almost 15 years of new Star Trek material.

Perhaps the genre needs to take a break for a few years, giving audiences and fans a rest before coming back with another series.

Besides, I would love to see a post-Nemesis Next Generation movie where they do something to bring Data back! It'll be the TNG version of "The Search for Spock"!
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Ensign Vaskel » Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:50 am

A new series could be focused on one main thing DS9 was about the Cardassians and the Dominion forces, a series could be brought up about species 8472 we could get a greater insight to the sepcies which could be very interesting maybe with a new ship that is made for traveling in fluidic spcae with say Seven in Command or Inteligence Chief as most experienced with 8472, maybe if she was thje Intelligence Chief, Chakoty could be CO and perhaps advanced technology could remove the other Borg implants and with her operation that allows here to have emotions she could be Lt. Commander Annika whatever Chakoty's real surname is I forget.

I totaly back up the Captain though if good ideas are made into good sereis then we have Star Trek on the climb once again.

P.S Data must come back
Ensign Vaskel

Postby Lucasausems » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:57 am

You're right, but you talk about sequels of the already excisting series. Off course, you can make series about those, and I would encourage them.
But what I mean is. Is there enough material to make an entirely new series? Maybe one that takes place about 10 years after the foundation of the Federation. Perhaps a series that takes place in the 29th century, with a crew that keeps the timeline intact?
And personally, I think they made a grand mistake introducing B-4 in the Startrekstory. Now Data is dead, there shouldn't be another one trying to take his place. I think that's wrong, because you can't replace anyone from the series from my point of view. It kills something in the very ideology of Startrek. But off course, that's my opinion.
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Ensign Vaskel » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:21 pm

That is not what we meant by bring back Data otherwise Cpatain Ja'arda would not have suggested a Data version of 'Search for Spock' we maent the real Data. Anyway I like some of your ideas 8)
Ensign Vaskel

Postby Lucasausems » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:50 pm

Ok, to bring Data back is also going to be though, I mean his character is about to grow from machine to man. And Data has acomplished that objective.
In addition to that: Brent Spiner himself suggested the idea that Data should die, so if maybe sometime Rick Berman decides to bring Data back I think that Brent would disagree, and rejects the offer.
But then again, there are plenty of wonders left in the world, who knows....

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Zania Jaarda » Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:30 pm

There still might be some potential with the B-4 storyline. Originally, the android was programmed to serve as a spy for Shinzon. Even though Data downloaded his memory to B-4, perhaps there might be some additional sub-programming that Geordi and the other Enterprise crew is not aware of.

That program could, at a specific point in time, make B-4 betray the crew again by revealing their secrets to another species that wants to destroy the Enterprise. B-4 could turn out to be more capable of cognitive thought than the crew thinks, which could lead some of them to becoming tortured prisoners. This could result in the Titan mounting a rescue!

There are still plenty of storylines that they could explore and pursue, even without restoring or bringing Data back as his normal self right away! Ultimately, it is up to the writers to come up with their own ideas and transform them into a screenplay.
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Ducane » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:09 pm

Vaskel: Chakotay is his full name, in one double-episode of Voyager, he uses "Amol Kotay", but my understanding is that it was fake, e.g. a cover name while he infiltrated the labourers.

PS: 29th Century "Relativity" fixing timeline Trek Series.... GO FOR IT :lol:

Alex Ducane

[ USS Zealous ] - [ Commander :: First Officer ]
[ Starfleet Legacy Alliance Administrator ]
[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Zania Jaarda » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:38 pm

I bet that a lot of people probably wish that the Relativity was real and could go back in time and stop the debut of Enterprise, replacing it with a different series that hasn't made so many changes to the past history of the Star Trek genre.

Then again, there is a rumor floating around that Enterprise may actually be based in a different dimension, so it wouldn't affect the "real" Trek as established by TNG, DS9 and Voyager.

What are your thoughts about that idea? Would it affect how you look at the series and some of the things they've done? Do you think it would affect whether or not there may be an Enterprise movie after the series has ended, or even another movie involving cast from TNG, DS9, or Voyager?
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Ensign Vaskel » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:22 pm

Osswell you mentioned the comeback of Data being tough but I have had an idea. See when a nuclear weapon detonates a pulse is set off just before the explosion that creates a power surge. Now say something like that happened with the radiation core but the pulse wave picked up Data at a high spead and thrust him out in to the bridge, now the Scimitar also had a hole in the bridge and the pulse could deactivate the emergency forcefields do be disabled. Once out of the ship the blast could give him a push off into space jow with the Valdore and the Enterprise both crippled and with the pulse deactivating him he could not be picked up. By the time the relief ships arrive he is outside the are of sensor disturbance so once the relief ships enter that area they cannot detect him. Perhaps then on a return from negotians with the Romulans the titan picks up very faint positronic signals as the effict of the pulse wave would have worn off.

Also it was also stated that all the cast except form Stewart were certain that they wanted to do another movie. Stewart undisided thought it was a good way to end the era, but with the ratings on Nemesis and the fact that Star Trek fans around the globe were eager to see what happens with the Romulans he should opt to star in another movie, hopefully written by the writer of First Contact or the Wrath of Khan and directed by Frakes.
Ensign Vaskel

Postby Lucasausems » Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:26 am

I really have to say, that the imagination of people sometimes freaks me out, but let's say you're right, and Data does survive. But what else could be put in the TNG universe, it is my opinion that all the good possibilities have run out. So no fluid space film/series, no more borg threat etc etc. Because those all have to do with a certain race from a certain episode. And there is no entirely new thing to come up with. I think that the TNG universe has completed his task, and made a wonderfull era of Startrek.
But now we must concentrate on the Enterprise and the Beginning of the federation, the Romulan-federation war for exmple. Or just simply how the federation begun his life.

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Zania Jaarda » Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:34 am

Actually, I think you may be limiting your vision there. TNG has not run the full gambit with the ideas and possibilities that they could explore for future motion pictures. There were some things within the series that were left unresolved which could always lead to a movie plotline:

* Q (the original one) could always pay a visit and bring the crew of the Enterprise and Titan together on any number of adventures.

* A ship could violate the quarantine of Vagra II and Armus can escape into the universe, forcing the Enterprise to deal with the creature once again. With this one, they would probably need to call in the Titan since Troi had more direct communication with Armus than the others (as she was held captive by the creature).

* In the episode "Conspiracy," the parasitic mother creature sent a homing beacon to an unexplored region of the galaxy. Is there a whole planet full of the parasites, waiting to invade and take over the minds of others (starting with the top brass at Starfleet)? Are there other species in that region of the galaxy which could prove to be hostile to the Federation? Starfleet could send the Enterprise to investigate, and then have the Titan join in for support.

And here's yet another mystery that could also be resolved in a movie plotline:

In the episode "Journey's End," Wesley Crusher resigned his commission and decided to live among the American Indians on Dorvan V, aided by the Traveler. During the wedding sequence in Nemesis, he is seen in a Starfleet uniform, sitting on the end of the table next to his mother. Did something happen to prompt him to decide to rejoin Starfleet, picking up where he left off? Was the resignation of his commission a rouse to gain the trust of the American Indians so he could eventually get them off the Cardassian-controlled planet?

I'm sure that if you go through an episode guide of TNG, looking at every single one, you can probably find a lot more that is unresolved and/or could lead to a great movie storyline!
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Postby Ducane » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:18 pm

Nice ideas, but IMO, it would be good to see Voyager.

Alex Ducane

[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Ducane » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:21 pm

Ensign Vaskel wrote:Osswell you mentioned the comeback of Data being tough but I have had an idea. See when a nuclear weapon detonates a pulse is set off just before the explosion that creates a power surge. Now say something like that happened with the radiation core but the pulse wave picked up Data at a high spead and thrust him out in to the bridge, now the Scimitar also had a hole in the bridge and the pulse could deactivate the emergency forcefields do be disabled. Once out of the ship the blast could give him a push off into space jow with the Valdore and the Enterprise both crippled and with the pulse deactivating him he could not be picked up. By the time the relief ships arrive he is outside the are of sensor disturbance so once the relief ships enter that area they cannot detect him. Perhaps then on a return from negotians with the Romulans the titan picks up very faint positronic signals as the effict of the pulse wave would have worn off.

Also it was also stated that all the cast except form Stewart were certain that they wanted to do another movie. Stewart undisided thought it was a good way to end the era, but with the ratings on Nemesis and the fact that Star Trek fans around the globe were eager to see what happens with the Romulans he should opt to star in another movie, hopefully written by the writer of First Contact or the Wrath of Khan and directed by Frakes.

Totally agree with you there... Although it was Spiner who wrote off his character... Perhaps it's all a ruse to get a parallel of the Search for Spock... the Search for Data. He's already downloaded his memory into B4, if they can get Data back, they can restore his memory. As for "Data" himself... perhaps that's still in his remains somewhere.

I love your imagination about how Data survives... it really gets you thinking.

Alex Ducane

[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Lucasausems » Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:44 pm

I agree with you Ducane, I also love the imagination of the mind (it's the best thing there is in this crazy world)
And with this let's drop the whole data thingy because it always shall come back to what is said earlier, unless off course you feel otherwise.

Captain: all your ideas are great, and I would incourage every single one of them, but I'm talking about a totally new storyline one that hasn't got anything to do with anything that's been written in the TNG timeline (TNG DS9 Voyager) before. Your storylines all excist on what's been done before, and that's what I mean, is it possible to create a story that hasn't got that, can we create an entire new story????

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Ducane » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:45 pm

The USS Enterprise find themselves exploring a strange asteroid that has a reddish brown vegetable growing on the surface.

It turns out to be a vegetable of doom.

Alex Ducane

[ HAS-2 Architect ]
Ducane
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Lucasausems » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:16 am

Possibly, but I'm searching for something much bigger, something that will make us all say: 'WOW'.

Dragon Squadron
Luke Helios
Pilot
Lucasausems
Born to be Wild!

Postby Zania Jaarda » Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:25 am

Now that December is over, it's time for a new Topic of the Month!

I am removing the sticky on this thread, but it will remain unlocked. If anyone chooses to, you are still more than welcome to debate this subject!
Zania Jaarda
Speaker
Speaker

Return to USS Zealous