¤ Possibilities: I ¤ PL: SD10208.18

Simming since 1994 this is widely regarded as one of the most successful sims in history. Taking place on an Akira class vessel the Potemkin crew lives through the greatest sim experiences available.

Moderator: [Sim] Potemkin - Hosts

¤ Possibilities: I ¤ PL: SD10208.18

Postby Warp » Sun Aug 18, 2002 3:23 am

=/\=
USS POTEMKIN
STARFLEET REGISTRY NCC-76927-C

P E R S O N A L L O G
Stardate 10208.18

Fleet Captain "Warp" Mitchell

"Tasha, quiet down!" Warp exclaimed suddenly. Tasha awoke with a start. Why was her master being so mad at her? After all, she was only loudly snoring. Having taken one look at him, she knew she had better go sleep in the bedroom. He wasn't in a good mood. The beagle pulled herself up, shook and stretched, and then wandered towards the bed. The bed was more comfortable anyway.

Leaning over his desk with tense shoulders, James Mitchell let out a frustrated sigh. Since the wedding, things had gone steadily downhill for him. Starfleet was poking and prodding deeper and deeper. Before long, they'd be interviewing crewmembers and perhaps even investigating old friends. There was a board of inquiry coming. He could feel it.

A noise attracted his attention and he turned towards its source. The rustling sound turned out to be Tasha nudging his blanket around his bed before she turned around in two circles and flopped onto the bed, letting out a loud snore. Despite his tension, he smirked. Tasha was funny.

Returning his focus to the padd on his desk, the Captain grumbled. "They are too caught up in politics to realize what they're doing." That was the only rationalization he could give himself. Politics. He sighed again, and was distracted again, by another noise.

A door chime.

Straightening his expression and trying to relax his shoulders, Warp spoke to the door, "Come in..." He realized immediately that the tension was still evident in his voice.

Katie Kelson peeked her head between the doors as the slid open with a characteristic swish and a squeak. "James, are you all right?" She now stepped into the room, looking left and then right before seeing him at his desk.

"Oh, Katie! Yes, I'm fine..." Warp immediately powered off the padd and spun his chair to face her. "What can I do for you?" He erased any tension from his voice, a trick learned in acting classes taken over a dozen years earlier.

Ms. Kelson passed beyond the proximity sensor's range and the doors slipped shut behind her. She replied, "I was about to ask you the same thing." She paused to look over his face for signs of stress before continuing, "Rumors are flying around that Starfleet might court martial you. Please tell me they're wrong."

Standing and motioning towards Katie to sit on his nearby couch, Warp sat in a chair and leaned forward. "I don't know if they're wrong or not. There's an investigation starting into what happened over the last few weeks, and Starfleet's not too happy with me right now. It's possible that those rumors are true." He felt surprisingly composed saying that outright. He had assumed his voice would have been uncertain and unsteady.

"How can you say that so matter-of-factly, James?" Katie asked.

Having just asked himself the same question, he knew no answer. "I don't know... It just came out that way, I suppose..."

Katie now leaned forward and replied, "Isn't your future important to you?"

"Yes, it definitely is important to me." He smiled at her in an honest way, but one that also showed the negative emotions pulling him down in the background. "And I've been thinking about that, too." He looked down towards the coffee table, but he wasn't thinking about his future.

Abruptly and without warning, she began, "You miss Tom, don't you?"

Warp raised an eyebrow. "You're very perceptive." He momentarily entertained the humorous notion that Katie might be telepathic.

"Andrea had the exact same look in her eye ten minutes ago."

"What was she thinking about him?"

Katie paused for a moment before answering, "I think she was realizing how much he's going to miss while he's away." She looked up at Warp's face. "She didn't say that, but it was in her eyes, you know?"

Warp simply nodded. He wondered what else Katie could see in his eyes right now.

"So, are you going to be okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine..."

She looked at him plainly. "Aye you sure?"

"It'll all blow over with Starfleet. They'll realize that what I did was beneficial for the Federation and they'll go on their merry ways." He pictured a classic Jim Kirk scenario.

"I meant about Tom. I know that you really valued his friendship."

Looking down, Warp replied, "I did..." He took a moment to be silent for a dramatic pause, and to change the topic just a bit. "I can't help but feel responsible for what happened to him, Katie."

Katie shook her head, and Warp noticed her shining blonde hair swinging back and forth gracefully. "It wasn't your fault. When you found out he wasn't okay, you did everything you could to bring him back and to help him."

"But it wasn't enough. Thomas got to him first. If only I had been paying more attention! I would have noticed that something was wrong!"

"It wasn't your fault, James. Believe me, it wasn't." She reached out and touched his hands, which were now clasped on the coffee table in front of him. Softly, gently, she pulled them apart and warmly held them.

Feeling comforted by her touch, Warp nodded quietly. "I keep telling myself that."

"If anyone can help him, professionals can. He'll be back in no time." She softly squeezed his hands to communicate her sincerity. "They'll help him to get past what Thomas did to him."

"I hope so, Katie. I hope so..."

Ms. Kelson stood, gently pulling on James' arms to bring him up also. She led him around the edge of the coffee table next to her, and then sat back down. "Come on, sit down." She smiled up at him as he silently took the empty space on the couch next to her. "That's better." Still smiling, Katie leaned in towards his face and kissed him on the cheek.

A contented expression found its way across James' face as he felt Katie's warm breath dancing delicately across the side of his face. A moment later, she held onto his arm and leaned her head against his shoulder. "You'd make a good counselor," he told her as he squeezed her hand lightly.

"Yeah, I think most male members of the crew would like a kiss on the cheek every once in a while." She smiled warmly and giggled. "But you get one because you need one." She playfully kissed him again, brushing his cheek softly with her lips and blowing into his ear as she pulled away.

Warp shook his head humorously and held his hand up to his ear. "That tickled!"

"Oh, you want me to do it again, huh?" she asked. Without waiting for a response, she leaned forward and softly blew into his ear again. She smirked.

"Hey!" He turned to look at her. "What was that for?"

She grinned. "I got you to smile, didn't I?"

"You're too good at this." He looked her straight in the eye. "You need to give lessons to Tasha. She'd be sweeping all of the other shipboard dogs off their feet in no time. at all!" He now imitated her grin.

"Now you're inviting me to trip you?"

"No!" He reached out and put his hand over her mouth. "Don't even think about it!"

She mumbled something that was incomprehensible due to the fact that Warp's palm was perfectly covering her mouth. When he finally pulled his hand back, she frowned at him and glared sarcastically, saying, "Now I'm definitely going to trip you." She crossed her arms.

"Yes, and I'll bet you'll do it right in front of an ambassador or an admiral or someone important, too!"

She smiled with sarcasm equaling that which accompanied her glare. "No, right in front of your mother."

Warp seized the opportunity to get a few hints at what she wanted for a relationship between them and asked, "So, you plan to meet my mother? Do you think she'll like you?"

"Sure! We'll share embarrassing stories about your childhood, and then I'll show her my recipe for lemonade."

"Lemonade, eh? Lemonade is good."

She poked him in the stomach. "I'll make some for you sometime."

"I'd like that," he replied as he moved his hands to defend his midsection.

'I'll warn you, it's a little sweet."

He smiled and responded, "So are you."

End Log
Warp Out =/\=
Admiral James B. "Warp" Mitchell
Commanding Officer, USS Potemkin, NCC-76927-C
Warp Out =/\=
Warp
Engineer At Heart
Engineer At Heart

Return to USS Potemkin