JP: Late Apology

A Sovereign class vessel, a dedicated crew and the adventure of a lifetime, this is what the Lionheart is about. A fantastic sim offering top quality gaming. Winner of the 2001 "Seth Award for Best Live Action Sim".

Moderator: [Sim] Lionheart - Hosts

JP: Late Apology

Postby Kris » Sun May 04, 2014 3:02 pm

Late Apology
Neil Qarson and Christine Sterling

After being held for much longer than she would have liked in sickbay after two phaser shots hit her, Christine had finally been released. She had so many thing on her mind: asking Rune to possibly explain what it was that she’d seen flash into her head; wondering what the hell had actually happened to the ship; what the intruders had wanted (or whether they just saw a defenseless ship and figured they’d take advantage of it); and why a certain engineering officer had decided to not talk much with her. The first three were going to be rather difficult to figure out.

But she knew how to hopefully rectify the last. It had been her own fault that Qarson wasn’t talking with her, and it was something she never corrected. Why she’d done what she did was all thanks to far too much alcohol and getting irritated at the slightest things. Rune’s anger management classes with all the different teas he would bring were helping, but she hadn’t fully held up her end of the deal. And in knowing that she needed too, she went off towards Qarson’s quarters after checking that he was there and sighed. I should have done this a while ago she thought to herself as she pressed the chime on the door.

Neil was lying in bed alone while reading a PADD and eating his dinner. Doctor's orders stipulated that he take it easy after having his leg repaired following an accident that shattered it by a fallen probe. Normally, he'd dispense with such frivolous orders and go about his usual activities, but Neil could feel that his leg truly needed the time to recuperate.

Just as his PADD's contents got more interesting, the doorchime to his quarters rang. With a huff, Neil carefully got out of bed, put a shirt on, and hobbled to the door. Only one other person aboard had ever visited him off hours and he very much hoped that it wasn't her.

Neil stood before the doorway and allowed it to open. Once it did, Sterling appeared on the other side, very much to his dismay. The urge to close and lock the door struck him quickly, but he somehow resisted. He stood there before her with a clear look of upset but remained still and silent.

It was more than obvious by the look on his face that Qarson wasn't really in the mood to see her. It was understandable considering their recent past. But at the same time, if they didn't talk things out, it was never going to be solved.

"I...I can already tell you're upset with me. But if you'd be willing to talk, I hope we can get past this."

There was no point in beating around the bush, he wasn't the type of person to do that. Tine sighed.

"Any chance that I can come in?"

From their first meeting, things had always been tense between Christine and Neil. Most of their time together was spent with her berating him for his unprofessional attitude and treatment to pretty much everyone else aboard. That was until he found himself on the business end of a beating from her and another officer from security. He sustained broken bones and other injuries, but walked away from it with a severe anger, perhaps at times hatred, of the two women. Seeing her now only made him furious.

"I don't have guests in my quarters," was the most neutral thing that Neil could think of to say.

Almost knowing that was coming, Christine didn't put on a face that showed too much surprise. In fact, her face wasn't showing much at all at that point.

"I'm just as willing to talk here in the doorway if you're willing to listen. Please? It's nothing to do with you, honest. It's all to do with me and I hope you're willing to listen. But if not, I'm not going to order you to do so."

Neil couldn't help but think that Christine was playing the sympathy card, trying to guilt him into entertaining her sob story and plea for forgiveness. Nevertheless, he knew she'd never fully leave the matter alone if he didn't let her get it out at some point. Neil then sighed and stopped himself from rolling his eyes. "Say what you must."

"I'm not looking for anything from you, as I'm sure you're more than angry with me. Everything that happened in the past was nothing of your doing, it was mine. You don't have to forgive me for what I did. Had it been the other way around, I'd be feeling the same way that you probably are right now. All I want you to know is that I am sorry for what I did. I'd been letting all my anger and frustration build up prior to that, and shouldn't have mixed alcohol with any of it. But I did."

Christine allowed herself to catch her breath before continuing.

"All I can say is that you just ended up being in the wrong place at the wrong time when I decided to lash out. Had anyone else been there, they probably would have been the one I'd hit, not you. But in all this, all I'm trying to say is that I am sorry for what I did. I had no reason to do any of that to you. I'm not a violent person. And yet, I lashed out. If you never decide to forgive me, that is your right. I just wanted you to realize that I am truly sorry."

For the first time in many years, Neil was honestly didn't know how to respond. Until a short while ago, Neil was a very different person; compassionate, empathetic, and loving. But when life had different plans for him, he soon found himself a very changed man.

Neil could sense the anger loosening up; not all at once, but a little. He nodded his head lightly. "Anything else?"

He hadn't snapped back at her, he hadn't blown up with anger. All the things she'd expected to happen weren't happening.

"Honestly, that's all I came to say. I'm not asking for forgivness unless you are willing to do so. It was my fault it all happened, and...that's all."

What else was there to really say?

The situation quickly became uncomfortable for Neil and he internally rolled his eyes. "OK," he replied before closing the door and going back to his bed.

Raising an eyebrow slightly, Christine realized she hadn't even expected him to listen, and if he did, she expected backlash. Shaking her head, she headed back off towards her own quarters. Her kids were most likely anxious to see her. She was glad that Qarson had at least heard her out. But whether it would change anything? Only time would tell.
Kris: SLA Council Moderator
USS Lionheart First Officer (XO): Commander Christine Sterling
USS Potemkin Second Officer (2O) & Chief Science Officer (CSO): Commander Jayla Rollands
USS Mercutio Tactical Officer (TAC): First Lieutenant Brielle Jayde
Starbase 27 Chief Science Officer (CSO): Lieutenant Commander Nayeli Behar
SS Heimdall Medical & Employee Relations: Catrina (Cat) Kali Tendai
Kris
Council Moderator
Council Moderator

Return to USS Lionheart